The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP/Tactics PvP stats?

NeverSuffer

alacrity is important too lol :) it gives you cooldown boost and vent heat bonus.. also if you are pyro, your flame thrower hits faster ..

Nope you take 0 alacrity for Powertech, and no you don't take it for Pyro either. Alacrity is only effective if you have a situation where you have uninterrupted uptime on target, but in PvP you rarely if ever have that.

Both specs use predominantly tech damage so you don't really need any accuracy, which means you want all surge enhancements.

As for crit there is still some considerable debate as to how much if any you want to take for PvP. I personally prefer all power builds myself and tend to get better results with such builds.

Nope you take 0 alacrity for Powertech, and no you don't take it for Pyro either. Alacrity is only effective if you have a situation where you have uninterrupted uptime on target, but in PvP you rarely if ever have that.

Both specs use predominantly tech damage so you don't really need any accuracy, which means you want all surge enhancements.

As for crit there is still some considerable debate as to how much if any you want to take for PvP. I personally prefer all power builds myself and tend to get better results with such builds.

So what about the harsh DR on surge? You believe its acceptable?

So what about the harsh DR on surge? You believe its acceptable?

The DR is harsh but the only other two stats you can trade surge with are slightly useless and completely useless. Although I will entertain arguments for taking a accuracy enhancement, but with HiB the only ranged attack in the rotation, the value of accuracy is negligible.

So far, I've taken enough to get 25.02% ranged crit rating, and I have three pieces with accuracy on them (2 Accuracy/Power Implants and one accuracy/crit enhancement). I stack the rest into power/surge (I have 74.6something% surge atm.

Those three things of accuracy put m at 94.4somethingish% accuracy. My goal was to hit 94%, so I had as much as I did back before 3.0.

I take zero alacrity. It's been working VERY well so far for me with this set up.

I am not a math guy and i hate arenas...take this for what it is worth...my personal in game experiments have gone both ways i have maxed alacrity as far as i could to about 10% (yes that means 0 surge) and i have gone with all surge to about 74% and to be honest i saw barely any difference at all as far as damage done/ kills/ whatever other stats i looked at)

the part of me that dreams of being a math guy but lacks the motivation wonders if this has to do with the native 30% surge bonus on everything we use...

( all other stats are a max of power over crit leaving me with around 24% since i took the crit implants and earpiece with alacrity eliminators i think)

at 10% alacrity i shaved about 11 seconds off of battle focus(crit buff cd for you stinky imps) and around 9 seconds off of both ammo regen cds (this is a direct DPS boost inho)

in general i have to say that alacrity SHOULD be better with the inherent surge buff within our tree as that allows us to have approximately 80% surge(if additive) or 70%surge(if multiplicative) without a drop of surge in our gear. this will increase uptime of major offensive cooldowns (interesting that bioware chose to have alacrity not affect dcds).

however in practice due to the times running between spawn and enemy in regs/time ccd and auto reset of cool downs in arenas the only time alacrity truly is showing its full worth is in extremely long fights(which i really love but rarely see) so as much as i hate to admit it gearing for pvp in my limited experience will be near identical to what it was previously with the minor exception of maybe a bit of alacrty for some ammo regen for a less then perfect rotation or less than optimal ammo management (read skill of player)

im not the best Vanguard ever and i really do hate arenas. so the current meta probably will disregard my findings as lacking sufficient testing in a "competitive environment". but within my bubble of a community and the differences in my personal performance surge is still superior over the long haul but having some alacrity is not horrible as long as you at least achieve the 70-74% surge point.

So far, I've taken enough to get 25.02% ranged crit rating, and I have three pieces with accuracy on them (2 Accuracy/Power Implants and one accuracy/crit enhancement). I stack the rest into power/surge (I have 74.6something% surge atm.

Those three things of accuracy put m at 94.4somethingish% accuracy. My goal was to hit 94%, so I had as much as I did back before 3.0.

Ick, stop that.

1) with that much crit your base damage is going to terrible, if you are stimmed you should be well past eleven hundred ranged bonus damage, with that much crit I would be surprised if you where anywhere near that.

2) 94.4% accuracy is way to much, even in 2.x when we had passive accuracy talents it was not recommended to go that high with accuracy, nowadays is just shooting yourself in the foot. Remember that HiB is the only ranged attack a Tactics VG uses.

Between your high low base damage and your lowered surge your crits are not going to be hitting anywhere as hard as they should be which is going to hurt your killing power.

Thanks for the advise- I have taken to the surge/power mentality and am starting to agree with this line of thinking even with the DR. Alacrity probably has a great place in PvE but for PvP you are getting stunned, messed, kb'd, people are running.... I don't feel you get enough out of it since if you are able to have uninterrupted cast time on your target then it's probably an easy enough kill that it wouldn't matter anyway. Keep the debate rolling tho! I love constructive conversation :)

Ick, stop that.

1) with that much crit your base damage is going to terrible, if you are stimmed you should be well past eleven hundred ranged bonus damage, with that much crit I would be surprised if you where anywhere near that.

2) 94.4% accuracy is way to much, even in 2.x when we had passive accuracy talents it was not recommended to go that high with accuracy, nowadays is just shooting yourself in the foot. Remember that HiB is the only ranged attack a Tactics VG uses.

Between your high low base damage and your lowered surge your crits are not going to be hitting anywhere as hard as they should be which is going to hurt your killing power.

Funny:You think 25% crit is too much? you should`ve seen my face after I get pm by a PT I met in yolo a few days ago asking how do I manage to do so much dmg so I inspect him and *shiver* he stacked his crit chance up to 32%:eek::eek::eek:

Ick, stop that.

1) I guess it's just a preference, really. I only have 183 crit rating, which along with my Aim it tops me at 25.02% crit. My bonus damage stimmed is 1087. One thing that is different about PT/VG's in AP/Tactics spec is that virtually every ability we use gets a 30% surge bonus on a crit. 25% just feels right to me when I play.

2) Tbh you are probably right about this one. I don't like change, and I wanted 94% just like how I had before. Removing one piece of accuracy drops me down to 93.33%, which is what I'll probably do.

1) I guess it's just a preference, really. I only have 183 crit rating, which along with my Aim it tops me at 25.02% crit. My bonus damage stimmed is 1087. One thing that is different about PT/VG's in AP/Tactics spec is that virtually every ability we use gets a 30% surge bonus on a crit. 25% just feels right to me when I play.

2) Tbh you are probably right about this one. I don't like change, and I wanted 94% just like how I had before. Removing one piece of accuracy drops me down to 93.33%, which is what I'll probably do.

I keep switching 1 enh with accuracy in and out dancing between 92-93%.(at 1st i wanted to go for 94-95% but I just can`t commit to that)

I think 25% crit would be ok for long term fights(such as 8v8 ranked which does not exist anymore) in regs you can make anything work so scratch that, but take yolo for example....I do not recommend any crit at all as a AP PT, i got just over 20% buffed and since PT`s are among the 1st classes to get focused 1st Explosive Fuel seems to more then suffice the initial burst onslaught. And if the enemy didn`t go for you this time don`t worry they`ll have learned their lesson for next time. In 4s you can time your burst.

Edited by iDraxter