The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Force Awakens theories...

BSVeritas

The more i see new footage TV spots and the like im worried this becoming a new hope reskin ...

At your own risk::eek:

Sorry to bust your bubble mate, I really am, but, it is; Reskinned - reboot, It never were that much of a secret really, only change now is that we know what went down before. The good thing is that we don't know where we're going nest ....;)

- Kylo is Leia and Han's son

- Rey is Luke's daughter

- Kylo kills Han

- Chewie rages and blows up the Starkiller weapon

- Snoke is extremely powerful

- Finn gets his ayse kicked

- Luke is in hiding from the Knights of Ren

- Luke intentionally abandoned Rey on Jakku to protect her for the future ... shades of A New Hope

Just watched all of the trailers in one collection, I got a gut feeling that they are going to kill off one of the original main characters: Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca. Don't know which one, and it is all gut feeling, and I don't think it will happen till closer to the third movie. Maybe at the end of the second for heavy dramatic *GASP* style effect. Edited by Diterakor
spelling corrections

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is about people awakening in the force. I am willing to bet that the movie is a cannibalization of "A New Hope" and "Empire Strikes Back".

I seriously hope that J.J. Abrams isn't serious on what he said about the Force in a recent interview:

I will just say this: I would never presume to question anything George Lucas says is canon in Star Wars. And our job was not to negate or undo. A lot of people who are critics of our Star Trek, and I respect all of them, said we destroyed what they loved and negated everything. And we worked hard to clarify that we are not saying that our Star Trek over-rides a thing of the original Star Trek — it was a parallel timeline. I never wanted to negate canon that fans held so dear. And because I love Star Wars and have for too many years… … And having said all that and meaning it — I don’t want to presume over-write or change what George says the rules are.

I’m not someone who quite understands the science of the Force. To me Star Wars was never about science fiction — it was a spiritual story. And it was more of a fairytale in that regard. For me when I heard Obi-Wan say that the Force surrounds us and binds us all together, there was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, thats what was said in that first film!

And there I am sitting in the theater at almost 11 years old and that was a powerful notion. And I think this is what your point was, we would like to believe that when **** gets serious, that you could harness that Force I was told surrounds not just some of us but every living thing. And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline, it’s not that I don’t believe that as part of the canon, I’m just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn’t where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.

While I agree that the Force was this whole quasi-religious thing in my youth watching the Original Trilogy, I liked that Lucas, in the Prequels, turned the Force into a scientifically proven reality with the invention of the Midichlorians, thus eliminating the religious aspect of the Force and making it a reality based truth. That fed into the "science is cool" geek in me. Now Abrams is essentially saying that anyone can become Force sensitive if they just believe enough? I hope he isnt going to make a sentient becoming a Jedi or Sith dependent on a person's level of personal faith. I hope this is not what he means by what he said above:

Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, that's what was said in that first film!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is referring to what Obi Wan told Luke of the Force in A New Hope:

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Kenobi said, created by all living things. Nowhere in here does Obi Wan mention that you just have to believe to become strong in the Force. If that was true, everyone would have been a Jedi. The Jedi earned the nickname "Baby snatchers" because they took children that exhibited Force Sensitivity(such as in the method that Qui-Gon used to determine Anakin Skywalker's affinity for the Force with a simple blood test) from their families to become Jedi. It is something that has been done for generations with the Jedi Order.

Now I'm worried about The Force Awakens.......

Edited by DarknessInLight

I seriously hope that J.J. Abrams isn't serious on what he said about the Force in a recent interview:

I will just say this: I would never presume to question anything George Lucas says is canon in Star Wars. And our job was not to negate or undo. A lot of people who are critics of our Star Trek, and I respect all of them, said we destroyed what they loved and negated everything. And we worked hard to clarify that we are not saying that our Star Trek over-rides a thing of the original Star Trek — it was a parallel timeline. I never wanted to negate canon that fans held so dear. And because I love Star Wars and have for too many years… … And having said all that and meaning it — I don’t want to presume over-write or change what George says the rules are.

I’m not someone who quite understands the science of the Force. To me Star Wars was never about science fiction — it was a spiritual story. And it was more of a fairytale in that regard. For me when I heard Obi-Wan say that the Force surrounds us and binds us all together, there was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, thats what was said in that first film!

And there I am sitting in the theater at almost 11 years old and that was a powerful notion. And I think this is what your point was, we would like to believe that when **** gets serious, that you could harness that Force I was told surrounds not just some of us but every living thing. And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline, it’s not that I don’t believe that as part of the canon, I’m just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn’t where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.

While I agree that the Force was this whole quasi-religious thing in my youth watching the Original Trilogy, I liked that Lucas, in the Prequels, turned the Force into a scientifically proven reality with the invention of the Midichlorians, thus eliminating the religious aspect of the Force and making it a reality based truth. That fed into the "science is cool" geek in me. Now Abrams is essentially saying that anyone can become Force sensitive if they just believe enough? I hope he isnt going to make a sentient becoming a Jedi or Sith dependent on a person's level of personal faith. I hope this is not what he means by what he said above:

Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, that's what was said in that first film!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is referring to what Obi Wan told Luke of the Force in A New Hope:

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Kenobi said, created by all living things. Nowhere in here does Obi Wan mention that you just have to believe to become strong in the Force. If that was true, everyone would have been a Jedi. The Jedi earned the nickname "Baby snatchers" because they took children that exhibited Force Sensitivity(such as in the method that Qui-Gon used to determine Anakin Skywalker's affinity for the Force with a simple blood test) from their families to become Jedi. It is something that has been done for generations with the Jedi Order.

Now I'm worried about The Force Awakens.......

Hmmm, Abrams is talking of going back to the roots, frankly this appeals to me. "There is still good in him, I can sense it" illustrates the inner struggle and the journey of the hero, furthermore it does not reduce the Force to a 1+/-1 equals Dark/Light science calculation, which by the way was the one of the biggest criticism from the fanbase towards Lucas in the PTs.

Do you think you can post a link to the interview?

Hmmm, Abrams is talking of going back to the roots, frankly this appeals to me. "There is still good in him, I can sense it" illustrates the inner struggle and the journey of the hero, furthermore it does not reduce the Force to a 1+/-1 equals Dark/Light science calculation, which by the way was the one of the biggest criticism from the fanbase towards Lucas in the PTs.

He is and isn't here. In the original movies they still made it very evident there's more to using the force and not everyone can do it. Whether it be by bloodline or something else. There's a reason Luke was the "last home" with the second being Leia. Likewise, there's a reason Luke didn't start using ben's teachings to give it to everyone around him. The concept that "if in trouble anyone can reach out" and use the force? It doesn't work and it breaks the uniqueness of it. If he tries to pull "Everyone is capable of being a Jedi/Sith." There's going to be a problem with the fans.

He is and isn't here. In the original movies they still made it very evident there's more to using the force and not everyone can do it. Whether it be by bloodline or something else. There's a reason Luke was the "last home" with the second being Leia. Likewise, there's a reason Luke didn't start using ben's teachings to give it to everyone around him. The concept that "if in trouble anyone can reach out" and use the force? It doesn't work and it breaks the uniqueness of it. If he tries to pull "Everyone is capable of being a Jedi/Sith." There's going to be a problem with the fans.

Just for the sake of a argument; The EU is full of 'Force sensitive' beings that doesn't make it/qualify for the stature of Jedi/Sith. The most obvious being the Jedi Service corps, or the Aing-Tii monks or the Nightsisters who is mentioned in both Legends and Canon.

If you read 'Into the Void'(EU, Dawn of the Jedi) you'll find out that blood lineage isn't a guarantee in the matters of the Force.

So I would still claim that for the major Star Wars Fan base, Abrams hit the ball close to home on this one . . .

Edited by t-darko

Just for the sake of a argument; The EU is full of 'Force sensitive' beings that doesn't make it/qualify for the stature of Jedi/Sith. The most obvious being the Jedi Service corps, or the Aing-Tii monks or the Nightsisters who is mentioned in bot Legends and Canon.

If you read 'Into the Void'(EU, Dawn of the Jedi) you'll find out that blood lineage isn't a guarantee in the matters of the Force.

So I would still claim that for the major Star Wars Fan base, Abrams hit the ball close to home on this one . . .

JJ Abrams didn't say that. He said if you believed strong enough you could use it. This means even members of those group? A shift in belief? They too could be Yoda level Jedi and Sith.

Plus those groups are force sensitives and there are witches that do rival jedi and sith. Likewise, the Aing-Ti monks are quite capable and powerful. They just don't practice the way a Jedi can. I'm aware not all blood lineages produce jedi all the time but many have a higher chance. Good example? Theron Shan isn't force sensitive. Doesn't change my point, really. Even in the early EU writers knew some people could never be Jedi. No matter how hard they believed or how spiritual they are. Luke has even stated in some of those early novels "You are or you aren't." The movies kind of allude to it as well. Leia is a potential not because of her personality, her looks, or anything else other than the fact that she's Luke's sister.

There's a lot of talk "You are powerful." "Like your father." "The force runs strong in my family." "The son of skywalker must not become a Jedi.." A lot of the movie focuses on who Luke's father is. How big of a deal it is that he is the son of this very powerful mysterious jedi (until it is revealed it is vader). That the source of his strength is passed down.

Edited by Rhyltran

JJ Abrams didn't say that. He said if you believed strong enough you could use it. This means even members of those group? A shift in belief? They too could be Yoda level Jedi and Sith.

I think you answered yourself here really; "He said if you believed strong enough you could use it." Now if this wasn't 'so hard' or not a 'big deal'; Why would Yoda be concerned for Luke rushing away to face Vader in Episode 5. why would the Jedi Council hesitate to train a 10 year old Anakin . . .

You're letting your 2015, secularized, modern mindset getting the better of your reasoning, in life in general and in Star Wars, space opera fantasy specially, there is no thing as 'It's just to believe'.

"There's no better thing than a good blaster . . . " Han says to Luke, when he begins his Jedi Training on the Millennium falcon.

To bring back some of the mystery surrounding the Force, and making it available through the mindset of the force sensitive user, or even suggest that the Force(Midichlorians) are present in all living things is in fact going back to the roots of the OT and the EU.

But I guess this gonna be one of the coming PT against OT discussions . . .

Here is the link

I think you answered yourself here really; "He said if you believed strong enough you could use it." Now if this wasn't 'so hard' or not a 'big deal'; Why would Yoda be concerned for Luke rushing away to face Vader in Episode 5. why would the Jedi Council hesitate to train a 10 year old Anakin . . .

You're letting your 2015, secularized, modern mindset getting the better of your reasoning, in life in general and in Star Wars, space opera fantasy specially, there is no thing as 'It's just to believe'.

"There's no better thing than a good blaster . . . " Han says to Luke, when he begins his Jedi Training on the Millennium falcon.

To bring back some of the mystery surrounding the Force, and making it available through the mindset of the force sensitive user, or even suggest that the Force(Midichlorians) are present in all living things is in fact going back to the roots of the OT and the EU.

But I guess this gonna be one of the coming PT against OT discussions . . .

None of those was about belief of the force and none of those addressed my points. Training is important. Remove the force. If you were in feudal Japan and I was some dying grandmaster and you decided, before you were finished with your training, to run off and go fight some guy who has slain master level of opponents I'd be concerned to.

They also explain well enough why they were hesitant on Anakin.

I alluded to this in my previous post above. Yes, the Force is present in all living things. I seriously doubt you will find a Star Wars fan out there who will dispute that. Where there is going to be an issue is where Abrams mentions:

Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, thats what was said in that first film!

Correct me I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like Abrams is trying to infer that anyone can be a Jedi if they reached down into their faith and tap the power. This frightens me because, to me, the Force was a "mystical" energy field, as Obi Wan Kenobi so aptly put it in A New Hope. It still retained a large part of its mysticism in the Prequels, but obviously science had advanced enough to allow the detection of the Force at the cellular or microbiological level via the Midichlorians.

This gave the Jedi a better method by which to determine a person's Force Affinity and that's all. The truth remains, however, that the Jedi brought those who tested positive for Force Sensitivity into their order meant that they could potentially be trained as Jedi. I'm not saying that the Force doesn't exist in everyone. It does, but Midichlorians or not, if you're not sensitive to the Force, you cannot feel the Force and you cannot be trained to use it. It seems that Abrams is trying to change that.

Even after they tested his blood for a Midichlorian level in the Phantom Menace, Anakin was still tested before the Jedi High Council for his Force Sensitivity. This leads me to believe that the Jedi used the blood test as only a basis for determining whether or not to bring a sentient to Coruscant for further Force Sensitivity testing prior to possibly training them as a Jedi.

To assume that it's simply a matter of belief to determine a sentient being's ability to control the Force is ludicrous. In my opinion, to proceed with the idea that one just needs to believe in the Force to control it would destroy the existing canon in both the OT and PT, to say nothing of the EU(which isnt canon).

Edited by DarknessInLight

In the first episode of the clone wars series, Master Yoda is on a planet with 3 clone troopers being pursued by Ventress and her tin can army in a sort of game, to meet with a king to negotiate bases in his system. During a moment of rest, he talks to the clones, telling them about the force. They say they are clones, they can't use the force. Yoda replies that the force resides in all living things (the living force) and that they can use it to quiet their minds, even if they cannot access the force. This says to me that JJ is kind of right, the force is in all of us, even if we can't manipulate it, we can quiet ourselves and maybe feel it there.

Though I also liked the science aspect of the midichloriens, and how they are present in the cells of all living things. I also really liked the way they explained the difference between the living force and the cosmic force and how one feeds the other. Like JJ, like probably many of us, I was always fascinated by the force. How many of us as kids tried to use the force ourselves? Put out our hand and closed our eyes and tried to bring that fork across the table, or whatever. George may have done some weird stuff over the years but the universe he created is amazing.

As for the Force Awakens, I have high hopes and I am confident. We're getting down to the wire now, just days away. I know it's going to be amazing. JJ will never work again if it's not and he knows it. :p Not only do I think the movies will be great, I am also just grateful we're getting movies at all, grateful that they are bringing star wars to a new generation. I have a three year old son, and throughout his childhood star wars is gonna be a huge thing, and I'm so happy for that, that he will get to experience star wars and not just the old movies but new ones, new toys, new books, new video games, new shows, the list is endless and for that, if nothing else, I am stoked for the force awakens.

Here is the link

Thanks mate.

And as for arguments I'm quite satisfied to agree to disagree;)

On one hand I think that this issue will be a divider among many fans as we have proven in the case of our argument. I won't deny that I share Abrams interpretations and impressions of the Force based on the events of episode 4.

Seen the movie. Anyway, 9/10. Will be the best movie in general to hit the theaters in decades. The Force Awakens is by far the best out of the other 6. No other movie will come to close to it's success until episode 8 is released. Abrams completely saved the franchise. Hopefully 8 can continue its new momentum.

#DarthPlagueis #RIPChewie

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

Seen the movie. Anyway, 9/10. Will be the best movie in general to hit the theaters in decades. The Force Awakens is by far the best out of the other 6. No other movie will come to close to it's success until episode 8 is released. Abrams completely saved the franchise. Hopefully 8 can continue its new momentum.

#DarthPlagueis #RIPChewie

Might want to put your post in spoiler tags, just fyi.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
Spoiler

Kylo Ren is related to the Luke and Leia or maybe Luke's first apprentice that went bad. Luke will probably give his life, but in a much more spectacular way like with Galen Marek to save the others and they found a new order of Jedi.

That would have to be it if Disney plans to keep releasing new films.

I also doubt Disney would touch anything from EA they have a love hate relationship since they tried to claim SWTOR as their own during Lucasfilm acquisition.

Kylo Ren is related to the Luke and Leia or maybe Luke's first apprentice that went bad. Luke will probably give his life, but in a much more spectacular way like with Galen Marek to save the others and they found a new order of Jedi.

That would have to be it if Disney plans to keep releasing new films.

I also doubt Disney would touch anything from EA they have a love hate relationship since they tried to claim SWTOR as their own during Lucasfilm acquisition.

I think Disney created Kylo to be a Revan like character and a nod to Star Wars the Old Republic, even though the game or the expanded universe is no longer canon. Maybe it's just their way of at least acknowledging the players/fans of the series. Just my opinion though.