The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The next lightsabre innovation

Legather

Episode vii will bring the crossguard, we're already familiar with sabrestaffs and double sabre styles. We've had the influx of many colour crystals for the weapons and unconventional light- weapons such as the whip. Going forward, what weapons can you folks envision?

Myself I've two ideas, one more formed than the other. The first is a lightglaive, corresponding to the historical glaive as opposed to the fantasy boomerang-like weapon. It would feature a long cortosis (or other similarly resistant material) shaft that can be gripped at various points along its length. The blade itself would be short, perhaps a foot or so, but broad and flat. For variations of the historical weapon, look up naginatas, guandaos and the like.

The second would be some form of offensive shield. The weapon/shield would remain relatively fixed in position close to the forearm; perhaps in a shield grip, perhaps actually attached to the forearm itself. Not extending much out from the wrist, it wouldn't be a wristblade. I'm unsure as to whether it would be a full on shield, a flat covering of whatever shape (probably round or circular) or simply a beam that runs the length of the forearm. If the latter, there could be a moving current that could force an intercepted weapon to deflect either up or down the length of the beam. It's an energy weapon so contact with it would cause the same effect as with the edge of a lightsabre. This is the shakey one that I can't quite envision.

Edited by Legather

Cool ideas. Personally I think that a light axe, flail or javelin would be cool. Lightsabers or daggers with other shapes would also be great. A lightfalcion would be like the most awesome thing ever imo.

See now you are just putting the word light in front of nouns. Light train, light coffee mug, light stethoscope.

What about a bow that shot light saber arrows?? Use the force to retrieve them. Not a practical idea but sounds fun to me. :)

I like the idea of a mace with the spikes being mini light-sabers.

Or a light saber dagger, kunai, or shurikan! Imagine a 3-bladed light saber shurikan being thrown.

How about a lightsaber cross. It would be a double bladed lightsaber but with another one that runs perpendicular to it. I could see that being a deadly weapon if it were thrown.

There is a very good

not to use a Double Saber ... and anything with more than 1 blade such as you suggest :p

Myself I've two ideas, one more formed than the other. The first is a lightglaive, corresponding to the historical glaive as opposed to the fantasy boomerang-like weapon. It would feature a long cortosis (or other similarly resistant material) shaft that can be gripped at various points along its length. The blade itself would be short, perhaps a foot or so, but broad and flat. For variations of the historical weapon, look up naginatas, guandaos and the like.

There is already lighsaber pike which kinda serves the same purpose.There is no need for the blade to be broad and flat.

The second would be some form of offensive shield. The weapon/shield would remain relatively fixed in position close to the forearm; perhaps in a shield grip, perhaps actually attached to the forearm itself. Not extending much out from the wrist, it wouldn't be a wristblade. I'm unsure as to whether it would be a full on shield, a flat covering of whatever shape (probably round or circular) or simply a beam that runs the length of the forearm. If the latter, there could be a moving current that could force an intercepted weapon to deflect either up or down the length of the beam. It's an energy weapon so contact with it would cause the same effect as with the edge of a lightsabre. This is the shakey one that I can't quite envision.

Horrible idea.

Both ideas are ''tautology'' of lighsaber based weaponry and honestly there are already enough variants.

Even the crossguard is profane.

The idea that there should be as many lightsaber based things as an end in itself just cus it looks cool is in a bad taste imo.There are already plenty of them.

Edited by Kaedusz

Cool ideas. Personally I think that a light axe, flail or javelin would be cool. Lightsabers or daggers with other shapes would also be great. A lightfalcion would be like the most awesome thing ever imo.

So, you want something that already exists? (the Shoto is pretty much a Lightdagger and the lightsaber whip)

the crossguard does look very cool. how about a light saber whip!

That already exists...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

There is already lighsaber pike which kinda serves the same purpose.There is no need for the blade to be broad and flat.

Horrible idea.

Both ideas are ''tautology'' of lighsaber based weaponry and honestly there are already enough variants.

Even the crossguard is profane.

The idea that there should be as many lightsaber based things as an end in itself just cus it looks cool is in a bad taste imo.There are already plenty of them.

Yeah, I gotta garee with ya there. Leave the light sabers as light sabers. If you're going to make up "light" every other weapon the jedi might as well be the Green Lantern Corps.