The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So am I the only Star Wars fan who endorses Disney taking over?

AhsokaTanorules

Popularity does not equal quality ? Beni , I use to agree with a lot of things you said , but what you just said is overly said by anyone who gets upset with the Marvel movies and cannot separate the Movies from the books and comics.

Unlike StarWars , Marvel movies are not the top Canon and matter less . My best friend gets his panties into a twist everytime a Marvel movie comes out .

The movies I find are good , the problem is not the quality of movies , it is how times are changing and how the newer generation of film makers view things has changed .

Example :

Music changes every 10years

Those who were in the last generation are always critical of the newer generation's music .

Kinda like me and MMOs .

I view Casual MMOs as less Quality than old fashion slow paced grind your life away MMOs of the late 90's mid 2000s .

Currently everything is made for those who have less patience and time to sit still .

Movies use to cost less than 10m to make and now are going beyond 200m .

Because movies are that SW fits into are more of a rollercoaster and every film has to give you that weak feeling in your legs when you hit the top and are rushing down .

You cannot blame Marvel or Disney for this , they have to follow it or they will go under .

So sadly , popularity equals quality at this point in time , heck every point in time .

I loved the Movie Dune , been waiting for a sequel to follow the movie and not the books like Syfy tried .

They tried to make a QUALITY Film and it was not that good at all .

JJ Abrams made a fast pace Star Trek and the extreme fan base hated it but it likely brought more fans to the series than any other movie . That means more people buying the books and shows old and new .

Overall he provided something better for the series , he provided it will a newer base to spend money into it and keep it going .

How is that bad ? If you love something you adjust .

Abrams from the story George gave him and the ideas that likely birthed the Cross Guard , will most likely birth more fans to the series and give new life to Books , Games , Comics , Shows , and other Movies .

Giving us who love Star Wars more material to dive our minds into and a continue to keep a living world going for us all.

I have never read a Marvel Comic in my life, nor do I intend to. I dislike the Marvel movies because, in my opinion, they are bad. Nor am I one to get my panties in a twist about change and retcons, else I wouldn't be a major fan of TCW.

If its better than what came before, they can change whatever the hell they like. On that basis I dislike the cross guard, not because its some lore change, but simply because it looks dumb and ugly as hell.

And yes, poor movies can do well, like Transformers, some of the highest grossing movies of at all time, and yet continually receive crappy reviews while getting worse with each sequel. And trying to make your movies popular, does not ensure they will be good, you can still screw up. I mean who tries to make bad movies? Nobody. Yet they exist.

And lets be honest, mainstream culture is not exactly always the epitome of quality.

However you do make a point that even if it is bad, I will still watch it, I dislike Rebels intensely, and yet a still watch it because its Star Wars. But that doesn't mean we should just roll over, constructive criticism is important. For example I myself am not a Prequel basher, but I have little doubt that the criticism leveled at the PT have no doubt been taken on board by J.J. (he even publicly endorsed a video) in regards to what not to do, and that can only be a good thing.

Simply put we can't allow Disney to throw crap at us and just accept it "cause its Star Wars", we need to actively voice our opinions, even if that means getting a bit ragey. But if we act in the way your suggesting, Disney can and will depend on the Star Wars brand to carry the movies and other media, and milk it for all its worth. They already are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never read a Marvel Comic in my life, nor do I intend to. I dislike the Marvel movies because, in my opinion, they are bad. Nor am I one to get my panties in a twist about change and retcons, else I wouldn't be a major fan of TCW.

That Statement was not for you .

If its better than what came before, they can change whatever the hell they like. On that basis I dislike the cross guard, not because its some lore change, but simply because it looks dumb and ugly as hell.

And yes, poor movies can do well, like Transformers, some of the highest grossing movies of at all time, and yet continually receive crappy reviews while getting worse with each sequel. And trying to make your movies popular, does not ensure they will be good, you can still screw up. I mean who tries to make bad movies? Nobody. Yet they exist.

And lets be honest, mainstream culture is not exactly always the epitome of quality.

However you do make a point that even if it is bad, I will still watch it, I dislike Rebels intensely, and yet a still watch it because its Star Wars. But that doesn't mean we should just roll over, constructive criticism is important. For example I myself am not a Prequel basher, but I have little doubt that the criticism leveled at the PT have no doubt been taken on board by J.J. (he even publicly endorsed a video) in regards to what not to do, and that can only be a good thing.

Simply put we can't allow Disney to throw crap at us and just accept it "cause its Star Wars", we need to actively voice our opinions, even if that means getting a bit ragey. But if we act in the way your suggesting, Disney can and will depend on the Star Wars brand to carry the movies and other media, and milk it for all its worth. They already are.

You spend 4billion into something , you are going to try to make money off it .

Anytime something happens in StarWars , being a book , comic , show , or movie than fans over react . It has been this way since the 90s .

You see it as milking , I can kinda agree there . Disney "Milks" all of it's properties . As any and all Media Corporations like Disney do .

LucasArts been milking StarWars for 4 decades . So this is nothing new to StarWars at all .

Maybe when Lucas made A New Hope , it had nothing but love and the highest hopes of maintaining a solid Movie , but you can see how things slowly changed after OT .

Him disregarding all stories outside his own and even sometimes being very critical of calling them out but in the same hand allowing them to continue shows your "MILKING" right there .

Heck one could wonder if Lucas really read more than 5 pages of any EU stories .

The only game I can recall him being involved in was Forces Unleashed .

I think this is why fans get upset , because we all find characters in these Games , Novels , and Comics and fall in love with them and to only have a Mad God say that they do not exist in the real Canon .

Disney on the other hand is most likely going to take some Legends and make them Canon .

I do not like the Cross Guard but it is not killing the trailer for me .

To be honest , the Hilts used by Luke and Vadar have always looked like a pipe that had blocks shoved on them .

^ Flame me I know

Overall the Sabers have always been a cool idea .

I am not going to allow the Cross Guard kill the entire movie for me . I did not let Jar Jar assassinate the PT for me either.

Here is what we can learn about the leaks on the new movie .

READ AT YOUR OWN WILL

You been warned.

Leaks say the story is darker than the PT and more like A NEW HOPE than any other movie in the series.

Leaks say the Saber fight scenes are the best in the series .

(^ I loved Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight so I do not know , not to mention Sidious vs Maul and his brother in CW is still Epic to me .)

The Story came from Lucas himself , he was involved in Script oversight and ideas . He did not write the script but still his story .

In my opinion Lucas is not bad with his ideas and visions , I think having less people he would listen too made him a bad choice to oversee PT but overall I loved them .

Now he is in the back seat he is able to be critical , and apply his thoughts without having total control . So now we have many people making sure everything fits better than just one .

I might be going out onto thin ice but I am going to trust it for now as I would rather take the good from the thigs I read and the overall feeling the teaser gave me .

At least JJ Abrams is directing the next movies, he is known for his ability to stay true to the worlds in which his movies take place, and to the vision of those who created those worlds.

I do not think he will be Directing EP.8-9 .

Atleast I think I read somewhere 8 is being directed by someone else . I do believe he will be staying on as a producer like he is on Star Trek .

I cannot help to think because of the backlash he is getting well before the trailer came out from the Extreme Fan Base.

Imagine being a fan of something all your life (Like he has stated) and just being announced that you will be directing the movie and people coming out of no where just to say bad things about you .

George Lucas got death threats after The Phantom Menace , Drew over Revan , the Woman who killed Mara Jade over that death , and the Guy who killed Chewie ............................

^ With that , I kinda wonder if some Star Wars fans have mental issues and are the worst for the series .

I do not think he will be Directing EP.8-9 .

Atleast I think I read somewhere 8 is being directed by someone else . I do believe he will be staying on as a producer like he is on Star Trek .

I cannot help to think because of the backlash he is getting well before the trailer came out from the Extreme Fan Base.

Imagine being a fan of something all your life (Like he has stated) and just being announced that you will be directing the movie and people coming out of no where just to say bad things about you .

George Lucas got death threats after The Phantom Menace , Drew over Revan , the Woman who killed Mara Jade over that death , and the Guy who killed Chewie ............................

^ With that , I kinda wonder if some Star Wars fans have mental issues and are the worst for the series .

But to create quality works, one has to ignore the fanbase if you don't want the characters and plot being twisted for fanservice or seeing Batman dodging Omega Beam. Especially over character death. Heroes do die and to keep the story consistent and serious, death should be treated seriously.

Not saying I like Drew's Revan or EP I doesn't have flaw.

But to create quality works, one has to ignore the fanbase if you don't want the characters and plot being twisted for fanservice or seeing Batman dodging Omega Beam. Especially over character death. Heroes do die and to keep the story consistent and serious, death should be treated seriously.

Not saying I like Drew's Revan or EP I doesn't have flaw.

And you should not like everything that everyone does . Having people rip you apart day after day , takes a toll on anyone . Receiving threats over a Character that has no standing in real life , is crazy .

I am going to be honest , the only thing I did not like about Mara Jade's death is the fact that Luke had so much plot armor that he was little changed by it. Should have been enough emotion to send him a little into atleast depression , sadness , or even rage .

The most powerful force user and skilled lightsaber combatant did not seek revenge or justice for his own wife ?

All I can think of after 13 years of marriage is , maybe he truly did not love her .

But in no shape or form did Karen deserve threats on her life over it .

And you should not like everything that everyone does . Having people rip you apart day after day , takes a toll on anyone . Receiving threats over a Character that has no standing in real life , is crazy .

I am going to be honest , the only thing I did not like about Mara Jade's death is the fact that Luke had so much plot armor that he was little changed by it. Should have been enough emotion to send him a little into atleast depression , sadness , or even rage .

The most powerful force user and skilled lightsaber combatant did not seek revenge or justice for his own wife ?

All I can think of after 13 years of marriage is , maybe he truly did not love her .

But in no shape or form did Karen deserve threats on her life over it .

To create great work, yes the author has to not let his/her work being influenced by fandom.

Sure Luke is Lucas' favorite, that's another flaw the author must avoid, do not twist character because of your favor, let characters act in their own way.

One of the things I don't like of the post RotJ EU is that the big three never die or fade before the Legacy era, they are still saving the galaxy in their 70s.

Edited by Slowpokeking

To create great work, yes the author has to not let his/her work being influenced by fandom.

Sure Luke is Lucas' favorite, that's another flaw the author must avoid, do not twist character because of your favor, let characters act in their own way.

One of the things I don't like of the post RotJ EU is that the big three never die or fade before the Legacy era, they are still saving the galaxy in their 70s.

It is a Leaked Rumor

That the three die or atleast 1 of them

Characters should all meet an end , this is what makes them great . Having them live on forever or all dying gloriously is a fail on the readers and a fail for a writer .

Caesar died in real life in a way that no one would think a great General or leader would die in , why should any fantasy character be different .

Meetra died like a warrior , stabbed in the back by a coward while she was saving Revan's life or attemping to , in my opinion .

Chewie ................ok his death by the moon was weird

Mara Jade was killed by a powerful descendant of Vader ..............like a Warrior , to me the better death ,

Revan was killed

by himself.......................a ghost or spirit split of himself..................................wow probably up their with Chewie's death

Mara Jade , Meetra , and Chewie had fans losing their minds . Sure some Revan's fanboys are going nutz too but to be honest , the only death that was so out there , it would have to take place far far away , is Chewie's .

What I have read from the Leaked Script , is amazing .

It is a Leaked Rumor

That the three die or atleast 1 of them

Characters should all meet an end , this is what makes them great . Having them live on forever or all dying gloriously is a fail on the readers and a fail for a writer .

Caesar died in real life in a way that no one would think a great General or leader would die in , why should any fantasy character be different .

Meetra died like a warrior , stabbed in the back by a coward while she was saving Revan's life or attemping to , in my opinion .

Chewie ................ok his death by the moon was weird

Mara Jade was killed by a powerful descendant of Vader ..............like a Warrior , to me the better death ,

Revan was killed

by himself.......................a ghost or spirit split of himself..................................wow probably up their with Chewie's death

Mara Jade , Meetra , and Chewie had fans losing their minds . Sure some Revan's fanboys are going nutz too but to be honest , the only death that was so out there , it would have to take place far far away , is Chewie's .

What I have read from the Leaked Script , is amazing .

To me sometimes the best death is something like Yoda's. Old Age, not ever legendary warrior, dies a warrior, some survive, and just go on to be to old to help in the end. They can teach but cant do it themselves any more, then they quietly go in their sleep.

For Every Obi-wan Death, there is a Yoda....

To me sometimes the best death is something like Yoda's. Old Age, not ever legendary warrior, dies a warrior, some survive, and just go on to be to old to help in the end. They can teach but cant do it themselves any more, then they quietly go in their sleep.

For Every Obi-wan Death, there is a Yoda....

Not really , Yoda death after the rise of Sidious's Empire became rare . Even in the EU . The Old Republic was probably just as rare to die in Old Age . War has that thing about it when it comes to Combatants "Warriors" dying on the field of battle .

Yoda also died in pretty much a exile , not really the best death one could hope for . Not for a great Jedi who sat at the head of the order and served it for a life time and the Republic they helped protect !

In the case of Mara Jade is I think her fan base thought she might share Luke's Plot Armor but I think George wanted her dead to begin with . His EP7 is kinda proving my theory .

No Leaks or Rumors point to any children of Luke and no wives .

There is a old saying

"Live by the sword , die by the sword " .

Edited by mefit

Blah all hearsay, you don't have exclusive plot leaks or anything of the sort.

The main rumor going around is that the sith lord at the end of the trailer is luke. :d_confused:

I was hoping for a campy Han/Chewie type main plot with jedi making an appearance here and there, maybe Han and Leia are estranged and somehow reignite. JJ Abrams will change Starwars to his vision, and it looks like we're getting Phantom Menace 2.0 , sorry folks but this is not going to be a lucus'sqe and it's going to get weird.

Blah all hearsay, you don't have exclusive plot leaks or anything of the sort.

The main rumor going around is that the sith lord at the end of the trailer is luke. :d_confused:

I was hoping for a campy Han/Chewie type main plot with jedi making an appearance here and there, maybe Han and Leia are estranged and somehow reignite. JJ Abrams will change Starwars to his vision, and it looks like we're getting Phantom Menace 2.0 , sorry folks but this is not going to be a lucus'sqe and it's going to get weird.

Debbie downers , every leak states this movie is going to be dark and is still following the Book George Lucas wrote .

We know he Wrote it so that is not rumor or leaked imformation.

If you read about the leaks , there is one that Disney has been doing damage control with .

Which states will be darker than all the movies and closer to a New Hope.

Abrams is also confirmed not directing EP8 , so we can toss out to his VISION .

By the way the MAIN LEAKED information about the Sith in the trailer is

Han and Leia's son who falls to the darkside

Supposedly the Story follows the Girl who is a Solo child and her brother who falls to the Darkside .

Luke like in the EU is supposedly super over powered but unable to control it and in EXILE .

Still could be the insane writings of a fan just tossing out rumors in the make of leaks .

My major issues here is the blatant attacks on Abrams , do me a favor , do not watch it if you hate his "VISION" so much .

After all that would be the best way to hurt his image and the movie he made . We all know this movie will most likely Bank at a Record amount , just like the two Star Treks he did .

By the way " not going to be a lucus'sqe" , last I checked Phantom Menace is all Lucas..............lol

Edited by mefit

Seeing that ****** lighsaber with emmiters that emulate medieval longsword already is a bad sign, so .. yea...

On the other hand seeing sith and jedi in a movie not only in games is always cool so i don't know...

How the hell can anyone use that and not cut his hand off?

Edited by Kaedusz

Seeing that ****** lighsaber with emmiters that emulate medieval longsword already is a bad sign, so .. yea...

On the other hand seeing sith and jedi in a movie not only in games is always cool so i don't know...

I'm not a big fan of the design but I will say very rarely does your hand touch the hand guard. If you knew said hand guard is lethal to you. This touch can be minimized even further.

Edited by Rhyltran

Jedi and Sith are trained to use a lightsaber in ways normal beings can't . Mostly all of the Jedi and Sith design their lightsabers to meet their needs.

How does a Sith make a Light whip and not get caught by it eventually ? Heck in real life people who play with Whips more often than not get hit by it at some point .

Jedi and Sith are suppose to be more aware of their Weapons and surroundings through the force , some more than others .

If they took off the Cross Guard , I would be happy but it seriously is a stupid thing to rip a movie and it's director apart .

Edited by mefit

Eh well looks like sith lord at the end of FA is actually a character called "Kylo Ren".

They just released the X-Wing pilot's name as well "Poe Dameron".

Ok, I was wrong , but hell can you blame me for not being to optimistic?

EDIT: I quite enjoy the fan edit of Phantom Menace were Jar Jar and the Nemodians are dubbed over with Portuguese/subtitled, and the gungan battle of naboo is cut. So much potential wasted......

Edited by TheOne

Unless George Lucas is a Sith lord and is able to find another vessel to carry his soul his time is limited.

Selling to Disney ensured that Star Wars doesn't die with Lucas.

Their theme parks have made a science out of nailing every little detail. So they will bring this to their movies, and to their parks.

To walk into the Cantina on Mos Eisley with my family would be a dream come true!

I'm in favor of it simply because George Lucas can't direct his way out of a paper bag. He also can make "interesting" casting choices (Hayden Christensen I am looking at you). He imagined an incredible world and created great characters. On the technical side he was great. I say was because I think he fell in love with technology 2 much. One of the things that made IV thru VI so great was the real sets and real world locations. It made the movie feel grounded. All the green screen not only made things less believable but also made even the good actors he cast have a difficult times. A movie lives or dies on the selection of actors and their performances. Better to let someone else handle that.