Lord Tarnis + general questions

machinestatic

Hey all, first post here. So it's been extremely fun with my Jedi Sentinel (Combat spec), until I hit the evil Lord Tarnis. I got destroyed by the guy 3 times in a row at level 15, so I grinded out another level, came back, and he killed me 2 more times, haha. I know I just need to become a smarter SWTOR player (because I've played half a dozen other MMORPGs) so I have a couple questions.

To help with Tarnis (and really, the game in general) have you other DPS found that the droid might actually be a better companion at lower levels? I had just gotten Kira, and was using her all of those times he killed me.

Also, what should be the prioritized purchase I make with Commendations? On Coruscant the most expensive gear would only give me +1 strength and +30-something armor. Should I focus on light saber mods instead?

Thanks!

P.S. Note to self: key-bind your medpacs, you idiot.

im watchman sentinel and absolutely obliterated tarnis using kira as my companion didnt use any cds and and had about third of my health left at the end, i suggest checking that you are using teh right roation etc i dont know what combat spec is like but i found it easy in watchman with juyo form

It should be doable in either spec. I've been levelling as combat and actually used Kira over T7. I would get through pulls and champ fights fine with either, and either way I'd have to heal and/or res heal T7 after each/most pulls. With Kira the pulls just go faster because of her higher dps.

Combat probably isn't nearly as great as watchman, however, at that low of a level. Combat doesn't really come into it's own until 30+. The damage becomes really good once you get precision slash and increased crit damage on Blade Rush. Watchman seems like more of a sustained dps spec while combat is a more bursty dps spec.

you guys still have companions to fight him? When finishing the quest just prior to this one Kira was helping me then she disappeared. I have no access to T7 either, so no wonder this guy wiped the floor with me. Hmm... now I gotta figure out how to get my crew back.

EDIT: I got Kira back. I originally thought I had to defeat this guy before I could summon them again because the companion interface had disappeared, but I just had to open crew window again to summon them... now to try this guy again.

Edited by Renelorn

I was level 17 when the fight happened, Kira tanked it all pretty much and I got a little hurt (she died). It helps if you can damage them enough before saber ward ends while holding their aggro so kira can do her thing.

Sorry but Kira is my sweet little kitten and I would never exchange her for another companion. So I have decided to make it work on my sentinel and guardian. :p

Edited by Zaywin

Hello,

I managed to defeat Tarnis on 2nd try yesterday with my level 13-ding-14 Guardian having Kira as companion. Due to the timing with the levelup there was no tank form skilled yet, so likely not that much better "defense" than a sentinel.

1st try was taking out the adds and wiping. :p

Rezzed by drone and sulked out of reach to heal up.

Then move in, fight. Use Cooldown stuff. Use Medkit.

At half health start running behind those pillars which are so conveniently in that room.

Make sure that Tarnis is on the other side of the pillar than you are. Let Kira beat him up while he tries to zap you. ^^

Regars,

A

Combat spec w/Kira and I had no issues at all. I was nervous yes, but got through it OK. I "tighten up" when fighting big mobs like him. Making sure that my rotation is set, cool downs are done and I and my companion(how many time i went into a fight with 3/4 to 1/2 health I can't tell you lol) are at full health. I end up watching my abilities more than the fight though sometimes. I want to make sure every ability is hit at exactly the right time.

At half health start running behind those pillars which are so conveniently in that room.

Make sure that Tarnis is on the other side of the pillar than you are. Let Kira beat him up while he tries to zap you. ^^

I died two times before figuring this out, and you can start the pillar dance at the beginning of the fight. Basically, when his hands start to glow, he will channel lightning on you for massive damage. You have to use a pillar to break line of sight with him. Even while you hide, your companion can beat on him. His other attacks hit like a wet noodle. If you use this strat, you should not need cooldowns or medpacks.

Anybody know how to defeat the Sith Adepts in the Jedi Temple that I'm assuming lead to the fight with Lord Tarnis? I'm a level 16 Jedi Guardian. Up to now, I've been easily taking down my opponents until those Sith Adepts gave me a reality check by killing me in less than 20 seconds! There's two Sith Adepts and some Officer who are at level 15, but all have double the amount of HP I have. I've spent a ton of time trying to find better items and weapons, which have worked great up until now. Am I missing something?

I am playing a defense guardian, and it is great to level with as I am able to down elites and champions with ease. I have even taken down a heroic 4 boss by myself with a healer companion, although the boss was a couple of levels under me. But still, I find that very cool, really makes me feel powerfull which no other MMO game has done before.

Merwanor, I'm using a defensive guardian as well, but the Sith Adepts in the Jedi Temple are a force to be reckoned with, at least for me. haha Tried a few times more and no luck. :(

I tried twice at level 15 to take Lord Tarnis down. I'm at level 16 now, and am trying to upgrade my gear a bit before I go back again...

Combat specced Sent here. I used Kira almost exclusively once I got her to pretty much when I got Doc. But I was probably level 17 by the time I got to that fight. I do find that Kira was easier to gear up. Consular gear is easy to find, droid bits are a little trickier. Plus as an artificer I could upgrade 3/4 of a lightsaber.

WOW, I did not get to take any companion with me to fight lord tarnis. And I looked in my profile and do not see an option to regain my companion. Now I know why I can't beat lord Tarnis. I will hit up support and find out what happened to my companion.

People saying that "As a sentinel don't use Kira" are flat out wrong. Using Kira over T7 is your best bet from the moment you get her (But you need to remember to either continue gearing T7 up or have guildies that can make him good armor at around level 50) She takes damage better than T7 does, and the extra damage she gives is a HUGE advantage.

To be quite honest? I can't see how you can die to Tarnis. At 15 you're given Call On the Force, which refreshes saber ward's cooldown. At that point you also have Rebuke and Saber Ward, which you should be using against an elite.

When you get him to focus on you, pop both cooldowns, and COtF if you need to, which gives you ANOTHER use of Saber Ward. After that, I really can't say much more.

Beat him first try as a level 16 sentinel. Of course, I'm watchman spec, so maybe combat is just really underpowered.

TBH, the only way I can see people losing to this guy is if they ONLY use strike and slash, NEVER use Blade Storm, or Cauterize, or aren't using a form, or aren't using Zen when you have 30 centering.

I'm beginning to understand why everyone is saying the JK is underpowered. While other classes can just spam 1-2 abilities, we have to use more than 2, which seems to be more than people can handle.

Use Cauterize every time it's up. Use Zealous Strike every time it's up. Use Blade Storm every time it's up. Use Zen when it comes up. When he attacks you, use Rebuke and Saber Ward. If you still need help, bring a medkit and a strength or endurance stim.

And unlike what people say, use Master Strike if Cauterize, Zealous Strike, and Blade Storm are down.

If you're a guardian, use Kira anyway. And none of this really applies to guardians, I have no experience with them.

Edited by PinnyFox

I've been having trouble with Lord Tarnis as well. The first time I fought him I was level 15..and he killed me many times. So I left and leveled to 16..which is what level he is..and he killed me a few more times. I'm a Jedi Guardian by the way. A few people in game told me that I should use T7 instead of Kira. So When I next faced Tarnis I pulled out T7...well that didn't work...He killed T7 and then me..and I had barely gotten his health down. Which is weird..because the last two times I fought him while using Kira, before I tried it with T7, I managed to get his health down to basicly nothing..only to have him kill me before I could delver the finishing blow. So I am at a loss for what to do...I wonder if I should wait til I'm a level higher than him?

I've been having trouble with Lord Tarnis as well. The first time I fought him I was level 15..and he killed me many times. So I left and leveled to 16..which is what level he is..and he killed me a few more times. I'm a Jedi Guardian by the way. A few people in game told me that I should use T7 instead of Kira. So When I next faced Tarnis I pulled out T7...well that didn't work...He killed T7 and then me..and I had barely gotten his health down. Which is weird..because the last two times I fought him while using Kira, before I tried it with T7, I managed to get his health down to basicly nothing..only to have him kill me before I could delver the finishing blow. So I am at a loss for what to do...I wonder if I should wait til I'm a level higher than him?

Same here. I'm stuck on Valis. He killed me at least half a dozen times so far. I'm a level 25 and his a level 24. It's funny I thought it would be easy to defeat him. But I was so wrong. But I can't defeat him. I would like if the makers of this game made Lord Valis alittle easier to defeat. Also so all of us do not have to use our republic credits for the skill. It would really help. :(..

Edited by MikeRindos

Same here. I'm stuck on Valis. He killed me at least half a dozen times so far. I'm a level 25 and his a level 24. It's funny I thought it would be easy to defeat him. But I was so wrong. But I can't defeat him. I would like if the makers of this game made Lord Valis alittle easier to defeat. Also so all of us do not have to use our republic credits for the skill. It would really help. :(..

Okay I finally figured out how to beat Lord Valis. I used Force Statis. But the guy still killed me in five easy minutes. The thing I really frustrates me is the Cooldown time. THAT REALLY BLOWS. It really needs to be getten rid of. If the bosses can use there powers whenever the want. So can we. (NO COOLDOWN AND NO BUYING OUR SKILLS). It really puts us in a disadvantge.

Oh and One more thing, Make the game easy for people who have developmental issues and disabilities. That they were born with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.