Nvidia graphics drivers 344.75 crashing

Laeas

I have this problem too. About once an hour the driver crashes and automatically restarts. The game doesn't crash, however the screen goes blank while it recovers.

i7-3770

GTX 980

16 gb RAM

I've tried lowering my graphic settings and it still has the same issue.

Just chiming in that I have the same issue.

The game doesn't quit but it freezes for anywhere between 1-7 seconds of gameplay whereafter I can continue to play normally. I'm glad to see the issue isn't only on my end.

GPU: GTX 980 Drivers: 344.75

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820

Windows Home Premium 7 64 Bits

16 GB Ram

Edited by AdamLKvist

Adding into this thread - I too have the same problem where the game will crash however for me there are two ways it will.

Crash to Desktop (Frequent)

Crash the computer (Rare)

8Gb RAM

Nvidia 660 GTX

i5 3570

Getting really annoying as when PUGing groups you have to rely on nice people not to insta kick and in WZ's or GSF you lose any contribution :(

Adding into this thread - I too have the same problem where the game will crash however for me there are two ways it will.

Crash to Desktop (Frequent)

Crash the computer (Rare)

8Gb RAM

Nvidia 660 GTX

i5 3570

Getting really annoying as when PUGing groups you have to rely on nice people not to insta kick and in WZ's or GSF you lose any contribution :(

I crash to desktop when I click "Play" from launcher. Started happening after today's 3.0.0a patch. GTX 980 with 344.75 drivers.

The OP is talking about the drivers crashing and recovering - not the game.

Driver crashes are typically the result of one - or the combination of - three things:

1. Overclock is too high.

2. Heat is too high.

3. Not enough available power for the current clock (default included).

Fixes for the above can include:

1. Reduce clocks OR Increase voltage and/or power target.

2. Reduce voltage and/or apply aggressive fan rpm curves.

3. Reduce voltage and/or reduce number of unneeded components drawing from the PSU (e.g. fans, optical drives, dedicated physx cards).

The game now places much more strain on graphics hardware due to a multitude of factors, which includes poorly optimized shaders. Just because you were able to run the game fine pre-3.0 does not mean your card is stable with the added effects of SoR. The game is also suffering from frame buffering issues, causing stutter and high draw latencies.

A similar problem happens with the newest ATI driver, version 13.9. The whole computer will crash and needs to restart. With an older driver, this problem doesn't happen. This can happen during all activities, not just when playing SWTOR, but especially while you're in the loading screen to a new area.

Just posting this in case it is related to the NVIDIA problems.

Edited by Jerba

• 2 weeks later...

I've had issues with the graphics driver resetting for several months now. Out of all the games I play, this only happens in SWtOR. For me, what happens is the screen goes black then alternates between that and the loading screen a few times before finally staying black. If I alt-tab out before it does it 3 times, I can close the program and open it back up.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, but it happens more frequently in either high-population areas or basically anywhere on Taris. After playing with various NVidia drivers, I think I might have resolved it tonight by removing all nVidia software and drivers, and installing the driver from Windows Update.

We'll see if it really works though.

I"m honestly amazed that the people behind Hero Engine haven't gone out of business by now.

I've had issues with the graphics driver resetting for several months now. Out of all the games I play, this only happens in SWtOR. For me, what happens is the screen goes black then alternates between that and the loading screen a few times before finally staying black. If I alt-tab out before it does it 3 times, I can close the program and open it back up.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, but it happens more frequently in either high-population areas or basically anywhere on Taris. After playing with various NVidia drivers, I think I might have resolved it tonight by removing all nVidia software and drivers, and installing the driver from Windows Update.

We'll see if it really works though.

I"m honestly amazed that the people behind Hero Engine haven't gone out of business by now.

Nevermind. Crashed on me again, while questing on Taris today. My 6 month sub is up in a few weeks, so I guess that will be a good time to move on.

Yeah. Nvidia surround, 2x gtx780tis, game locks up computer randomly. Usually occurs while in a raid, but have seen it happen on yavin 4 as well. I managed to get it to repeat the crash every time I tried to watch the cutscene before the final boss in TFB. Was also able to get it to repeat while loading into the Ravagers. Drivers have been updated, rolled back, clean install. This garbage has been happening since 3.0 released. I suspect DirectX issues. Looks like Bioware thought it was a brilliant idea to release a major game expansion, and fail to provide enough manpower to deal with any issues in a timely manner. I understand the holidays are abound, but you don't release content like that in an attempt to capitalize off of the holidays, but then fail to follow up properly. Too many times I've been reading apologies in customer service for issues not being able to be resolved due to limited manning. Unacceptable. Sub is coming up for 6 month renewal soon. If you guys don't get this straightened out before then I'm bouncing. I'm sure I'm not alone.

People who prepayed for early access got boned on every angle without recourse. Poor programming which leads to client inefficiency. Major server lag. It is clear you guys don't have the hardware to handle the new expac. Along with incessant crashes, servers being down or downright unplayable, DDOS attacks from hackers (you mean to tell me you guys can't take the proper measures to handle DDOS attacks?) At most, this shouldn't effect anything more than your login servers. The only way I can image that they were successful like this is because you guys didn't have enough security personnel on hand to deal with it. It's pretty funny, considering the hackers ALWAYS give some sort of BS heads up on their website bragging about EA being targeted next. Someone isn't doing their due diligence here. If I end up not resubbing, I will be reporting to the BBB, and submitting a formal complaint about all of this.

Edited by -Calypso

Yeah. Nvidia surround, 2x gtx780tis, game locks up computer randomly. Usually occurs while in a raid, but have seen it happen on yavin 4 as well. I managed to get it to repeat the crash every time I tried to watch the cutscene before the final boss in TFB.

I run SLI 2x GTX780Ti's also (stable since re-install of 344.75 drivers + running Nvidia Inspector 1.9.73 overrides, what errors are you getting?)

I'm not running SLI, but the errors I get are basically the display driver crashed, but was restarted. When it happens, the screen goes to a solid color (seems to be the background lighting color for the planet/location) and generally recovers after 10 or so seconds.

I don't think it's related to 3.0 however. It started happening to me several months ago. I've also been able to reproduce the problem on a GTX 780, and two separate GTX 980's (not in SLI).

I don't mind rolling back drivers, but I play other games as well. Going back to October drivers hasn't fixed the problem, and I'm not interesting in going back even further.

Also, heat is not an issue. I also have zero problems in every other game I play, most of which are far more demanding than this one. This is straight-up a Bioware problem, and the lack of communication or acknowledgement is frustrating.

I'm running 2x GTX780tis, but not in SLI. I run them in Nvidia surround, with three monitors.

I am running GTX 750 ti and honestly have no issues. I don't know much about computers but running 3 monitors is little too much for your memory or your motherboard? Again, I am no expert in computers, what errors are you getting?

I am running GTX 750 ti and honestly have no issues. I don't know much about computers but running 3 monitors is little too much for your memory or your motherboard? Again, I am no expert in computers, what errors are you getting?

No, driving three monitors doesn't require a lot from your motherboard/memory these days, relatively speaking. If he's running a pair of 780ti's then it's all but impossible for him to be running on a mobo/ram combo that would pose a problem. Three monitors for those cards is not an issue.

I just got this crash as well as a new subscriber in the newbie area. Main monitor went solid green, driver reset and the monitor never came back. I had to reboot. I had a very very light OC going which I've reverted and we'll see if that has any effect, otherwise I may have to have a chat with customer service and look to MMO elsewhere.

I am running SLI'd 970s on a fifth gen i7 with latest drivers. Temps are fine and I have no crashes in other games.

Edited by Kylisse

No, driving three monitors doesn't require a lot from your motherboard/memory these days, relatively speaking. If he's running a pair of 780ti's then it's all but impossible for him to be running on a mobo/ram combo that would pose a problem. Three monitors for those cards is not an issue.

I just got this crash as well as a new subscriber in the newbie area. Main monitor went solid green, driver reset and the monitor never came back. I had to reboot. I had a very very light OC going which I've reverted and we'll see if that has any effect, otherwise I may have to have a chat with customer service and look to MMO elsewhere.

I am running SLI'd 970s on a fifth gen i7 with latest drivers. Temps are fine and I have no crashes in other games.

One thing that you will probably notice is that the color the screen changes to when it crashes is usually related tot he atmospheric color of the planet or zone you are on . Anyway, as soon as it does that, try hitting ALT-TAB to get to your desktop and wait a few seconds. I've found that if I can do that, I'm *usually* able to tab back into the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...