Please beta test before the next xpac

Velarax

Let's face it. 3.0 is a mess.

New content does not work properly; many players haven't been able to complete missions; many who have completed the content aren't yet 60; 60s can't run Czerka dailies and 55 FPs... why again? Revan is bugged. Really?

In addition, pre-existing content is messed up. GSF, totally messed up; Galactic Strongholds: the entire catalogue of crafted items; many purchased items (Felusia) and other decorations have vanished from the catalogue; some companion appearances are totally messed up...; players have been overnerfed; silver mobs have been overbuffed;

In addition and disappointingly, there are no cinematic cut scenes for most of the new quests. Many players (myself included) hate the new skill rails; many features that worked well before are now out of the game or broken (hint: if it works, don't fix i);

It seems to me, vigorous open beta testing in advance of the December 5th patch, might very well have caught these problems before they were inflicted on paying customers. It seems unlikely that anyone at Bioware actually played this thing through before release. Getting feedback from players in advance may have signaled many of these problems.

Most players don't care how long it takes to get new content out -- we can wait. But when it's rushed out the door with so many glaring bugs, many of us find the new content unplayable and old content, broken. This does not bring us joy.

My suggestion is this: Hire a competent Q.A. team; have at least one prolonged open beta test before you release new content. Using subscribers as unpaid beta testers (in fact, we paid for the *ahem* "privilege") is just plain wrong.

I hope Bioware is not still planning to unleash this piece of junk on all players as planned on the 9th, it needs much work.

They don't listen to beta testers or don't have the staff to investigate or correct the issues beta testers discover instead working on other issues that may be easier to fix or are a more serious problem.

I beta tested before the game went live, lots of people beta tested before me and a great many of the issues we dealt with made it into launch and are still in the game now. If there is any 'work around' it is almost guaranteed to be dealt as not as important and it seems a great many things are deemed acceptable.

In plenty of the PTS builds there are issues testers find and surprise, those issues make it into the game for everyone to deal with until BW finds a solution/workaround or players learn to live with it.

A few bugs always make it through, despite vigorous testing. However this patch managed to destroy much of the the previous content patch's content -- namely, the Galactic Strongholds. Almost all of the fabricated decorations are missing; most mounts and pets; several other items that are missing from the catalogue.

The GSF module is completely borked as well.

So... while I'm usually good-natured about a few bugs, this patch is a complete clusterpfhque and there's no excuse at all for this making it out the door without someone at Bioware actually playing and testing it. I never heard about open beta testing for this xpac either.

If these very problems existed and Bioware released this bug-ridden piece of shyte anyway, shame on them.

Edited by Velarax

I've made it to what I would deem the final fight (won't say what it is, don't want to ruin it for those that haven't played it) and as a subscriber, I am disgusted. Three times I attempted the fight, and three times the fight was bugged and could not be completed. Between the insane lag issues (sometimes so bad some of my abilities wouldn't even activate), a story hub area that is NOT a Sanctuary and is constantly filled with people fighting, and multiple quests being bugged, this plain should not have been released.

Maybe I should submit a bug report...but what's the point? I'll get a standard protocol droid response and nothing will get fixed. Makes me wonder why I paid to alpha test this expansion.

You will never ever ever ever ever never ever, fix all bugs in a game. Ever. Period. Beta content included. ALL mmos have bugs from beta. Every single one I play has bugs from beta. All of them. Some bugs will stay because the only fix would wind up causing more problems in more important systems than the bug itself. They fix bugs. It was tested. A couple bugs did exist, many of the major ones didn't. There's no way to predict what will happen when you push live. Ever. And updates have to be pushed out in order to keep up with content production. If it works, and can be played on test, then it's going forward, and whatever needs to be fixed will be addressed once the actual extent of the live server reveals. That's just the nature of game development. Don't act like it's ONLY this game that has these issues. There have been far far far worse

They DID have a Beta Test for the Expansion.

You are NOT freaking "Alpha Testing" the Expansion. Do you even know what Alpha Testing ACTUALLY means?

ROFL, my wife is a Software Engineer... We are, quite actually GAMMA Testing.

Also, testing environments always differ from actual live environments - what may have been a minor issue in Beta turned into massive issues in our Gamma. :-)

Edited by Choloe

You are NOT freaking "Alpha Testing" the Expansion.

QFT

A lot of games actually do the same thing to people who preorder. This is a gamma test, and is the reason for Tuesday's patch. It was a really badly publicized beta, but you can't say they didn't test it long enough.