The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My 21/2/23 VG is gone and I dont know this new person...

AndriusAjax

I'm pretty upset at the loss of the skill tree. I ran a set-up where I had just enough points in Shield Spec for the jumping ability, Storm, and the rest of my points were in Assault (I think I had 2 in Tactics for the armor penetration for HIB). I ran plasma cell, and the dps/mobility/survivability was great. Would routinely be among the tops in damage in 8v8, and almost always had top dmg (great burst) in 4v4. I was super mobile, using Storm for hutball, and in general it was just a very fun class to be. (not bragging with stats, just wanting people to know this set-up, which I picked up years ago in a thread called Carolina Parakeet, is viable and very fun... er..... was viable... was very fun....

NOW, I have to be a full blown Shield Spec (I hate guarding and the dps isn't doing it for me) to have jump/Storm; or run Assault for plasma cell and better dps in general while losing the mobility of jumping to people with Storm (which is a huge step down in fun, for me, feeling grounded like that).

Obviously my class, and more importantly, my FUN, is centered around jump/Storm and dealing decent damage --- and i HATE, no i LOATHE guarding people--- so that leaves me in a place where I have to re-figure out what I'm going to enjoy doing in this game.

I guess I just wanted place to vent. I dont post much, if at all. But I suppose I wonder how many people are truly in a position where they are as lost in their choice to switch as I am. I imagine many classes didn't undergo significant changes. So I think my complaint may be one of a very small few. I'm just curious... and also throwing a pity party. But does anyone else have this predicament? I was never very familiar with the hybrids people are.... i mean, were... running out there.

Edited by AndriusAjax
Error

...has really made me consider quitting. I've played swtor since a month or so after launch and stopped playing for the first time when ESO came out. I had grown tired of pvp (I don't pve much at all) and Elder Scroll is my jam. So ESO made sense. However, while its pve is pretty fun, its pvp doesn't replace what swtor has. Civil war is pretty cool. Definitely different than swtor but i LOVE swtor pvp.

All that said, I'm pretty upset at the loss of the skill tree. I ran a set-up where I had just enough points in Shield Spec for the jumping ability, Storm, and the rest of my points were in Assault (I think I had 2 in Tactics for the armor penetration for HIB). I ran plasma cell, and the dps/mobility/survivability was great. Would routinely be among the tops in damage in 8v8, and almost always had top dmg (great burst) in 4v4. I was super mobile, using Storm for hutball, and in general it was just a very fun class to be. (not bragging with stats, just wanting people to know this set-up, which I picked up years ago in a thread called Carolina Parakeet, is viable and very fun... er..... was viable... was very fun....

NOW, I have to be a full blown Shield Spec (I hate guarding and the dps isn't doing it for me) to have jump/Storm; or run Assault for plasma cell and better dps in general while losing the mobility of jumping to people with Storm (which is a huge step down in fun, for me, feeling grounded like that).

Obviously my class, and more importantly, my FUN, is centered around jump/Storm and dealing decent damage --- and i HATE, no i LOATHE guarding people--- so that leaves me in a place where I have to re-figure out what I'm going to enjoy doing in this game.

I guess I just wanted place to vent. I dont post much, if at all. But I suppose I wonder how many people are truly in a position where they are as lost in their choice to switch as I am. I imagine many classes didn't undergo significant changes. So I think my complaint may be one of a very small few. I'm just curious... and also throwing a pity party. But does anyone else have this predicament? I was never very familiar with the hybrids people are.... i mean, were... running out there.

You missed the third thing: The HiB reset was moved to Tactics as well, so you have to choose between burns, HiB reset, or storm :p

Either way, try speccing tactics, and take:

Battlefield Training

Muzzle Augs

Advance the Line

Charge the Line

[3 other utilities]

You will find that you won't miss Storm anywhere near as much by doing that.

Hybrids were crimes against nature and needed to be destroyed. Pick a tree and stick with it.

I disagree. I can't speak for any other hybrids out there, but I could pull off fine dps as VG 21/2/23, and jumping around was very fun. Moreover, if this hybrid was one of the only viable ones (which i can't imagine it was the ONLY good one) then swtor should have made other hybrids more viable. It may be hard to balance all that and beware of OP setups but it's worth it imo. SWG was great preCU bc of hybrids and templates and, to be specific, just having a diversified character - feeling like I'm original. Now I feel like every other tactics VG. Unoriginal and generic. So I disagree that hybrids are the devil. Maybe they needed work, but I didn't like getting rid of them.

I am doing more dps now tho. And the speed Tac. recommended is the best thing to replace my jumping. But I still don't feel original/unique. Isn't that why we play Mmos? I enjoy tinkering with my skill points. I loved SWG preCU bc of the template tinkering. Now you just pick a tree and go with it, as you so aptly put. Not much to think about. I don't care for that, personally.

I disagree. I can't speak for any other hybrids out there, but I could pull off fine dps as VG 21/2/23, and jumping around was very fun. Moreover, if this hybrid was one of the only viable ones (which i can't imagine it was the ONLY good one) then swtor should have made other hybrids more viable. It may be hard to balance all that and beware of OP setups but it's worth it imo. SWG was great preCU bc of hybrids and templates and, to be specific, just having a diversified character - feeling like I'm original. Now I feel like every other tactics VG. Unoriginal and generic. So I disagree that hybrids are the devil. Maybe they needed work, but I didn't like getting rid of them.

I am doing more dps now tho. And the speed Tac. recommended is the best thing to replace my jumping. But I still don't feel original/unique. Isn't that why we play Mmos? I enjoy tinkering with my skill points. I loved SWG preCU bc of the template tinkering. Now you just pick a tree and go with it, as you so aptly put. Not much to think about. I don't care for that, personally.

Yeah, but they are a logistical nightmare to balance, hence the change.

There is an interview somewhere where a dev explains the reasoning behind it- that it was almost impossible to balance every possible permutation of every possible spec for every class against each other. It only becomes more difficult as you add depth to talent trees, so they necessarily had to make the change to disciplines. And not only that, now they can pay attention to, you know, stuff like in-game content and bug fixes as opposed to attempting to balance dot-smash, against the iron fist, against the damn annoying old dot/heal sorc troll spec, against every other spec in the game.

Yeah, but they are a logistical nightmare to balance, hence the change.

There is an interview somewhere where a dev explains the reasoning behind it- that it was almost impossible to balance every possible permutation of every possible spec for every class against each other. It only becomes more difficult as you add depth to talent trees, so they necessarily had to make the change to disciplines. And not only that, now they can pay attention to, you know, stuff like in-game content and bug fixes as opposed to attempting to balance dot-smash, against the iron fist, against the damn annoying old dot/heal sorc troll spec, against every other spec in the game.

The devs have repeatedly stated that it's never their intention for a hybrid to outperform a full spec. That's the point of having a tiered talent tree... you have to work yourway up to good stuff, representing your character increasing in skill and experience while you level. That, and I'm very OCD and people who don't hybrid instead of completing a spec drive me INSANE.