Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

They unnerfed smash!

Silverspar

You don't need a target anymore to use it, like it use to be :D

You are correct. They took away the requirement that your smash damage only deals the damage multipliers vs your primary target. However, they've sorely reduced the damage multiplier. Guardians in general are more of a single target class. Focus is basically a Force based single target damage spec and Vigilance is more of a Melee based single target damage spec. I feel like there's a good case to be made that Vigilance is currently superior to Focus. However, I'm not at level 60 yet so I could be wrong. I won't be able to realistically hit 60 until next Tuesday so we'll see. But yeah, your thread is a little misleading.

You are correct. They took away the requirement that your smash damage only deals the damage multipliers vs your primary target. However, they've sorely reduced the damage multiplier. Guardians in general are more of a single target class. Focus is basically a Force based single target damage spec and Vigilance is more of a Melee based single target damage spec. I feel like there's a good case to be made that Vigilance is currently superior to Focus. However, I'm not at level 60 yet so I could be wrong. I won't be able to realistically hit 60 until next Tuesday so we'll see. But yeah, your thread is a little misleading.

Damage multiplier wasn't the thing I worried about since I play a tank, smash monkeys are not my deal having an anti stealth power I can rely on in PvP is.

in the sense of undoing the "nerf", they indeed retracted the changes that they made previously. If you felt those were a nerf (most people did), then yeah they unnerfed it. And i for one am very happy. it was actually irritating to use smash as a veneance or immortal spec. and the fact that they killed a smooth feeling skill because of a bunch of FotM PvP players really got my goat. so im glad it's back and i don't even have a single tear to shed for the old lolsmash build. at all.

I think most lolsmash players forget that smash is a default skill, and used by all 3 specs. and while they indeed nerfed it further for focus/rage builds, they added a monster of a single target ability in the same tree. most people i read up on playing it say the new ability makes up for the change in spades. focus/rage is now a flexible build useable in all circumstances. it still has a higher damage smash then the other 3 specs. it simply isn't borken-overpowered AoE with horrible single target. it's now a solid blend of "higher" Aoe (higher then the other builds) with solid single target direct damage (compared to the DoT oriented damage of the vangeance/vigilance trees).

Lolsmash players will just have to get used to the fact that their OP EZ mode killing build in PvP is gone. it was never supposed to be. good riddance.

in the sense of undoing the "nerf", they indeed retracted the changes that they made previously. If you felt those were a nerf (most people did), then yeah they unnerfed it. And i for one am very happy. it was actually irritating to use smash as a veneance or immortal spec. and the fact that they killed a smooth feeling skill because of a bunch of FotM PvP players really got my goat. so im glad it's back and i don't even have a single tear to shed for the old lolsmash build. at all.

I think most lolsmash players forget that smash is a default skill, and used by all 3 specs. and while they indeed nerfed it further for focus/rage builds, they added a monster of a single target ability in the same tree. most people i read up on playing it say the new ability makes up for the change in spades. focus/rage is now a flexible build useable in all circumstances. it still has a higher damage smash then the other 3 specs. it simply isn't borken-overpowered AoE with horrible single target. it's now a solid blend of "higher" Aoe (higher then the other builds) with solid single target direct damage (compared to the DoT oriented damage of the vangeance/vigilance trees).

Lolsmash players will just have to get used to the fact that their OP EZ mode killing build in PvP is gone. it was never supposed to be. good riddance.

Smash, itself, was nerfed. Rage, however, was buffed. So yeah, maybe their AoE damage sucks, but their single target burst is arguably higher than any other class, with maybe the exception of AP PT with the 25% crit ability. You can still ROFL2shot people in PvP, it's just not 2 shotting 5 people, but one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.