Why do Scoundrels/Operatives get only ONE DOT spread?

rupert_wegher

Hello dear SWTOR community.

Today, I've looked through the changes regarding Scoundrels/Operatives. Since I really liked (Notice the past form here!) Operatives I watched throug all the changes. I saw that Scoundrels can only spread ONE DOT! thorugh their blaster volley...

WHY SO? Marauders get two, Sins and sorcs get two, Juggernauts get even ALL the dots spread, Mercs and Pts can spread their dots (Marcs with the fusion missile and Pts with the dart/Flame sweep) even snipers get the dart spread with their grenade ( so in fact its 2 Dots that are spread) why do Soundrels have 2 potential dots they have to spread (and which doesn't come with other abilities like a Pyrotech PT does)

I only wonered sinc i wanted to play Operatives seriousely for Pve AND for Pvp.

Please comment or criticeis or explain I would really appreciate it... :)

the other classes, have cooldowns on their dots. Scoundrels do not.

Dot spread is not a great concern for us right now in pvp.

In pve all the mobs are hella grouped up on the tank, your ability to spread the dart or vital shot should be elementary level difficulty.

In pvp, its going to be a bit harder.

I wouldnt mind it being spread by thermal grenade though.

This. I mean, I'd love to see a more reasonable DoT spreading mechanic for us, but we do have some more flexibility.

In pve all the mobs are hella grouped up on the tank, your ability to spread the dart or vital shot should be elementary level difficulty.

Well, not so much. PvE trash mobs don't work like that, particularly not those with ranged components. Bioware knows that trivial grouping = trivial AoE, so they try to add a little more spice to things.

I wouldnt mind it being spread by thermal grenade though.

I'd rather just see the Shrap Bomb DoT spread work for both snipers and operatives. I mean, it's not as good as Death Field (narrower radius), but it's certainly better than Carbine Burst.

So which class except for Juggernauts ( where Dots play a rather minor role except for triggering the free Execute) has a CD on their Dots Please?

• Marauders do NOT have a CD on rupture anymore
  • Sins and sorcs do NOT have a cD on thier Dots (even creppeing Terror has NO CD)
  • PTs do NOT have cDs on thier Dots (in neither spec)
  • Mercs do NOT have cDs on thier Dots
  • Snipers do NOT have cDs on thier dots
  • and last but not least our belovehated Operatives do NOT have CDs on thier Dots

So please where is the difference tha make Scoundrels not deserve a double dot spread, since they play an important role in thier spec? I think that also if the grenade is an AoE by itself Operatives need to use at least 4 abilities to spread thier Dots well. Shiv (for TA)>Grenade>Dart>Blastervolley to spread it so we are at four (4) abilities to spread them if you are lucky that your targets are in front of you and in 10m range. Let alone the ranged classes that naturally deserve a ranged Dot Spread, but why do asassins can root their target and spread this Dot all around from 30m distance and Operatives have to use this messed up ability to spread them.

See, I don't cry for any nerf or changing.Don't misunderstand me please, I only want to know whats wrong about giving operatives (which are actually used to use "range" attacks in the first few levels) a Dot spread to make them at least a little more viable in regular pvp. I am really grateful that they at least gave us the AoE on the grenade ( Thank god! ;) ) but I wish they would change the dot spread from carabine burst to an other ability in the near future :)

So pleas if some Dev or assistant of a dev or assisstant of an assistant reads this please consider the changes.

PS. Uhm and could you please make that backstab doesnt trigger the CD from stealth ^^ That would be awesome since its sounds like a real burst problem (for daily routine and for Pvp )

//Edit oh thank you very much Keyboard ninja I often really like your Ideas that you have =) And apparentlyyou are much faster at writing in english than me :rolleyes:

Edited by rupert_wegher

So which class except for Juggernauts ( where Dots play a rather minor role except for triggering the free Execute) has a CD on their Dots Please?

• Marauders do NOT have a CD on rupture anymore
  • Sins and sorcs do NOT have a cD on thier Dots (even creppeing Terror has NO CD)
  • PTs do NOT have cDs on thier Dots (in neither spec)
  • Mercs do NOT have cDs on thier Dots
  • Snipers do NOT have cDs on thier dots
  • and last but not least our belovehated Operatives do NOT have CDs on thier Dots

So please where is the difference tha make Scoundrels not deserve a double dot spread, since they play an important role in thier spec? I think that also if the grenade is an AoE by itself Operatives need to use at least 4 abilities to spread thier Dots well. Shiv (for TA)>Grenade>Dart>Blastervolley to spread it so we are at four (4) abilities to spread them if you are lucky that your targets are in front of you and in 10m range. Let alone the ranged classes that naturally deserve a ranged Dot Spread, but why do asassins can root their target and spread this Dot all around from 30m distance and Operatives have to use this messed up ability to spread them.

See, I don't cry for any nerf or changing.Don't misunderstand me please, I only want to know whats wrong about giving operatives (which are actually used to use "range" attacks in the first few levels) a Dot spread to make them at least a little more viable in regular pvp. I am really grateful that they at least gave us the AoE on the grenade ( Thank god! ;) ) but I wish they would change the dot spread from carabine burst to an other ability in the near future :)

So pleas if some Dev or assistant of a dev or assisstant of an assistant reads this please consider the changes.

PS. Uhm and could you please make that backstab doesnt trigger the CD from stealth ^^ That would be awesome since its sounds like a real burst problem (for daily routine and for Pvp )

//Edit oh thank you very much Keyboard ninja I often really like your Ideas that you have =) And apparentlyyou are much faster at writing in english than me :rolleyes:

I dunno about the other options, but I got the answer for PTs:

1. Explosive Dart DOES NOT SPREAD the bleed. It only refreshes it if the target is currently affected by it. So there goes all the AoE DoT spreading for Advanced Prototype

2. The Pyrotech AoE DoT spread (note, there is only 1) lasts 6 seconds. Yours lasts 24. You also have a second naturally AoE DoT, while Pyrotech other 2 are strictly single target (though Scorch does refresh on a new target if the current one dies... but then again Toxic Blast's cooldown finishes if a target affected by it dies)

So yeah, You don't have it the worst. You're ahead of PTs!

(then again, PTs get Superheated Flamethrower in their DoT spec...)

Edited by TACeMossie

TAC already covered PT.

Marauder: one of their dots has a cd and they need to be in melee range for their spread.

I forgot jug's dot spread, wasn't that melee as well?

Sorc + sin: dot spread on a 15 second cooldown (deathfield) which is usually on a cooldown. Deathfield is important for the single target damage which means people usually do not delay it.

Merc: I might have missed something but isn't their dot spread spread over 2 AoEs? Thought one was tied to fusion missle and the other to explosive dart?

Sniper: no cd on the spread.

Operative: not the best, not the worst. Got a feeling that as an operative you still want to keep 1 TA active for when you need a sudden burst or when you want to spread your DoTs.

Btw I think this might be the reason why our frag grenade is better than the sniper's.

Creeping Terror has no cool down.

Dot spread is not a great concern for us right now in pvp.

I think that will change rapidly, for everyone.

I'd rather just see the Shrap Bomb DoT spread work for both snipers and operatives. I mean, it's not as good as Death Field (narrower radius), but it's certainly better than Carbine Burst.

I absolutely agree.

As to not being as good as Death Field I agree. It's not just the narrower radius though, even if that radius difference means a significant difference in actual area effected. What's more important is that an Assassin will get to keep Creeping Terror refreshed on one target for free, spread it to anyone remotely close to that target, and add Demolish as a bonus if it's active...all for using a key AOE damage skill that they're going to use anyway. Not needing to use the extra GCDs, along with the resources to cast the extra skill to spread, is pretty big.

The fact that DF is ground targeted is also pretty important. That's a lot of extra flexibility in who you want to spread to compared to any other class, including Snipers.