Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The state of the Jedi Guardian (Personal review)

adproduction

Couple questions and comments:

1) Did you finish leveling your Guardian? Making a statement of seeing only 100-200 damage per hit makes me believe your low level, and every class hits similar to this at low levels. Its the nature of an RPG/MMO, you start weak and build up as you progress. Not saying that you should play the class if you don't like it, but you'll have a similar experience with every class you level. This is especially true for low level tanking.

2) The "slow" aspect of the lightsaber is GCD based. Each abilities animation takes up 1.5 sec or longer for casts/channels. This is true for every class in game and I believe most MMOss.

3) I will agree with the low level tanking part. But this is true for Vanguards and Shadows as well. Low level tanking has been rough since launch. However, the 3.0 expansion dropping next week is introducing a new "skill tree" system called the Discipline system. This essentially allows tanks to become "tankier" earlier in the leveling process and removes the possibility of hybrid builds we see now.

4) There was a lot of off topic banter that took away from the points you were attempting to make. For future videos I suggest making a topic list before hand so you can hit all your points effectively.

Edited by veSev

Couple questions and comments:

1) Did you finish leveling your Guardian? Making a statement of seeing only 100-200 damage per hit makes me believe your low level, and every class hits similar to this at low levels. Its the nature of an RPG/MMO, you start weak and build up as you progress. Not saying that you should play the class if you don't like it, but you'll have a similar experience with every class you level. This is especially true for low level tanking.

2) The "slow" aspect of the lightsaber is GCD based. Each abilities animation takes up 1.5 sec or longer for casts/channels. This is true for every class in game and I believe most MMOss.

3) I will agree with the low level tanking part. But this is true for Vanguards and Shadows as well. Low level tanking has been rough since launch. However, the 3.0 expansion dropping next week is introducing a new "skill tree" system called the Discipline system. This essentially allows tanks to become "tankier" earlier in the leveling process and removes the possibility of hybrid builds we see now.

4) There was a lot of off topic banter that took away from the points you were attempting to make. For future videos I suggest making a topic list before hand so you can hit all your points effectively.

1) I already said I was low level, but as I said in the video, it doesn't matter because it should not take 30, 40, or 50 levels to become a fun class or an effective class for that matter. In addition, I have decked my character in defensive type gear and critical/power type gear, the difference in gameplay changed very little with gear. (and trees when I respec) Shien and Soretsu did very little to influence the gameplay too. In other words, the JG gameplay overall is lacking.

2. It's not just the GCD, but the animation in itself. Not all animations in other MMOs are as long as SWotR. Perfect example is the Guardian Fighter in NWN MMORPG. You can fly into a fight and almost instantly AOE aggro and the animation isn't long. With WoW. The slow gameplay is the result of Bioware be too detail in their animations instead of getting to the point. It works in a single player game, but this is MMORPG. In addition because it's not a range class, GCD and long Cooldown should not be general thing. Even the various tank in the RPGs I played didn't long cool downs like this or GCDs as the developers understand a tank is most effective when they can utilize their best strength. In other words, it makes no sense to slow a class that down that was mean get into your face.

3) The answer to the JG problem isn't give them a different tree, but giving them their tanking abilities first OR giving them their saber abilities first. They don't need to give them another tree, but rather improve the existing defense tree they have. It's nothing more than a smokescreen while ignoring the real problem. Secondly, I have no problem with Hybrid building or hybrid classes. It's just that they shouldn't be really good at either unless they specialize in one. Like how they did the paladin in WoW. It could tank, dps and heal, but you could not do all of them. I don't care if the Commando can hybrid as strategically it's sound to have an off tank with healing abilities. What I care about is the fact that JG can tank better than commando when the time comes.

4. Let me give you the run down of the other points I talked about.

- Jedi Guardians (and Jedis all around) should be faster and maybe more like their media counter parts. Get rid of the GCD and provie shorter/faster animations for their attacks.

- Jedi Guardians need to general aggro in everything they. They should not rely heavily on rotation.

- FOR ANY MELEE CLASS, you should not rely on a rotation whether it's for PvE or PvP. Tanks should really on need two to three aggro grabbing abilities, abilities that interrupt channeling abilities, breaking CCs, no self-healing, and doing maximum damage.

- Increase dps for those who go vigilant. It's ridiculous that I do 3 swings less as a Shien dps dealer compared to a Soretsu defense tank.

- Stop giving JG so many supporter skills (power up and shields) and give them more abilities to either dps or tank. (or at least increase their damage, accuracy, defense, deflect, armor, critical, and aggro generation)

Honestly, if I had to sum up this class, I would have to use Yahtzee's Mindjack video and the dialogue he used to describe it in the first couple seconds of his video.

(0:38 to 0:58)

I really really really really really want to like this class, but this game gives me few reason to like this class. I'm not busting you class, but the class itself.

Edited by adproduction

You have no idea what you are talking about. Removing gcd? Talking about class without even maxing it? Forms doesn't matter? No rotation for tanking and DPS? Go home dude

Thanks for proving my point of my video, Frenesi as I needed soneome like you make an example of yourself. It's also always the trolls, elites, and exploiters who are quick to disagree and will mock anyone oppose their viewpoint of the game. I couldn't have made that point otherwise.

Edited by adproduction

Thanks for proving my point of my video, Frenesi as I needed soneome like you make an example of yourself. It's also always the trolls, elites, and exploiters who are quick to disagree and will mock anyone oppose their viewpoint of the game. I couldn't have made that point otherwise.

Your opinion is yours. I am not discrediting your view point, but rather stronger points could have been made regarding the struggles of the Jedi Knight class. But I'm in an argumentative mood, so here is my response:

1/3) The game itself is not designed around low levels. The story arches are what kept most invested in their classes as they level because, and I think BW would agree, the leveling experience has always been lacking in itself. However, I mentioned the introduction of the Discipline system next week which will REPLACE skill trees if I didn't make it clear. This gives each class a defined path of abilities and passives that cannot be altered, thus allowing them to make Tank classes "Tankier" and DPS class hit harder at lower levels while removing hybrids. Hybrids would be an issue if they made lower levels better with the skill tree system, for then you'd have each Tank class have far better survivability for say PvP compared to any other class.

2) NWN, to my understanding, was a real-time combat system. This is not what SWTOR is, nor will it ever be. The animation takes up that entire GCD in game because standing there after an animation for .5-1 secs would appear rather silly. Overall, I think your asking for a redesign of the entire engine to make the game play faster, but I got to say if you were raiding at end game, especially in NiM Operations, you'd enjoy the GCD as it gave you time to plan ahead of mechanics.

Another part of this, which is more noticeable at the higher levels, is that DPS Guardians are reliant on a 3 second channel. This is counter to any other MDPS in game, so it can appear as a "slow" class because of this.

4) Going to try and sum all the points up into a paragraph rather than point by point. A rotation is an optimal means of dealing damage, healing an ally or holding aggro. Its not necessary, especially with the Guardian, in order to played decently, but it helps. The Guardian rotations are far more malleable when compared to any other class. As a DPS, we are not reliant on anything outside of Master Strike. As a Tank, if your keeping up your mitigation abilities than your fine.

At low levels, the Tank and DPS specs have, more or less, the exact same abilities with few passives. In truth, the only difference at low levels is the passives offered by the forms. Other than that, your dealing with the same amount of abilities. This changes as you get closer to end game, but your asking for more abilities which only bloats our already long list of necessary abilities. Compared to other classes, Guardians have more rotational abilities. The way they keep us from having 10+ abilities that are necessary is our passives which deal greater damage too. Passives is simply a means of making our abilities better. Just because they don't have a button you can physically push doesn't mean they are not useful.

I believe you had a typo in that last sentence, but I agree. I don't think you dislike the class, but rather the game itself. Either way, I hope you find an appealing class going forward. But I urge you to be more open minded to the gameplay mechanics. I think you'll find as you experience tougher content that the GCD system works well.

1) I already said I was low level, but as I said in the video, it doesn't matter because it should not take 30, 40, or 50 levels to become a fun class or an effective class for that matter. In addition, I have decked my character in defensive type gear and critical/power type gear, the difference in gameplay changed very little with gear. (and trees when I respec) Shien and Soretsu did very little to influence the gameplay too. In other words, the JG gameplay overall is lacking.

2. It's not just the GCD, but the animation in itself. Not all animations in other MMOs are as long as SWotR. Perfect example is the Guardian Fighter in NWN MMORPG. You can fly into a fight and almost instantly AOE aggro and the animation isn't long. With WoW. The slow gameplay is the result of Bioware be too detail in their animations instead of getting to the point. It works in a single player game, but this is MMORPG. In addition because it's not a range class, GCD and long Cooldown should not be general thing. Even the various tank in the RPGs I played didn't long cool downs like this or GCDs as the developers understand a tank is most effective when they can utilize their best strength. In other words, it makes no sense to slow a class that down that was mean get into your face.

3) The answer to the JG problem isn't give them a different tree, but giving them their tanking abilities first OR giving them their saber abilities first. They don't need to give them another tree, but rather improve the existing defense tree they have. It's nothing more than a smokescreen while ignoring the real problem. Secondly, I have no problem with Hybrid building or hybrid classes. It's just that they shouldn't be really good at either unless they specialize in one. Like how they did the paladin in WoW. It could tank, dps and heal, but you could not do all of them. I don't care if the Commando can hybrid as strategically it's sound to have an off tank with healing abilities. What I care about is the fact that JG can tank better than commando when the time comes.

4. Let me give you the run down of the other points I talked about.

- Jedi Guardians (and Jedis all around) should be faster and maybe more like their media counter parts. Get rid of the GCD and provie shorter/faster animations for their attacks.

- Jedi Guardians need to general aggro in everything they. They should not rely heavily on rotation.

- FOR ANY MELEE CLASS, you should not rely on a rotation whether it's for PvE or PvP. Tanks should really on need two to three aggro grabbing abilities, abilities that interrupt channeling abilities, breaking CCs, no self-healing, and doing maximum damage.

- Increase dps for those who go vigilant. It's ridiculous that I do 3 swings less as a Shien dps dealer compared to a Soretsu defense tank.

- Stop giving JG so many supporter skills (power up and shields) and give them more abilities to either dps or tank. (or at least increase their damage, accuracy, defense, deflect, armor, critical, and aggro generation)

Honestly, if I had to sum up this class, I would have to use Yahtzee's Mindjack video and the dialogue he used to describe it in the first couple seconds of his video.

(0:38 to 0:58)

I really really really really really want to like this class, but this game gives me few reason to like this class. I'm not busting you class, but the class itself.

Just going to hit this quick with some more points.

1.) You admit it was low level gameplay, which means low level gear and stats. Low level gear is never going to provide any type of boost that will actually be noticeable. The stat gains are just too small. Typically at those levels the only noticeable gain is in your health-pool, and even that is minor. +2 and +3 just doesn't do much, but at higher levels those +2 and +3s turn into +15/+20 which becomes noticeable.

2.) That is typical in any MMO that is not a twitch-based combat game. Combine that with the expectations of Star Wars combat and they designed the game correctly. You just couldn't have a class performing would should be an iconic ability in an instant, the genre just requires a certain amount of flair.

3.) This is a valid point. You can see that because after 3.0 the some of these changes are going to happen. Currently all talent trees are "top heavy", which again is typical of a MMO. Personally at lv55 (and soon to be lv60), a Guardian tank has what I fill to be the right amount of abilities to work with. Yes some are a little lackluster, but we really aren't bloated or starving for any.

4.) A couple different points here. I'm not sure what you meant by 'general aggro'. We aren't the strongest tank in regards to AoE but we can do alright. If you meant we just jump in and have aggro from the start by just being there, well that would be rather boring (and I'm sure most would agree). As for rotations, anytime you have abilities that provide "x bonus every x seconds" you're going to have a ideal way to use those abilities to get the most out of them. I can't even remember the last time I played a game that did not have some type of rotation in it. As tanks we are not there to dps, that is not our purpose; we are there to position/hold/control the target so the actual dps can kill it. If you want to tank then tank, if you want to dps then dps- you'll never be able to do both at the same time (unless you really out-gear the content).

We do not need more critical, or damage, we are getting a free accuracy boost in 3.0; we already have abilities that debuff the boss accuracy, we have abilities that provide high threat, extra defenses, shielding. Not sure why you seem to think we need those when we have them.

In the end, maybe you are a tank but just not a Guardian tank?

Your opinion is yours. I am not discrediting your view point, but rather stronger points could have been made regarding the struggles of the Jedi Knight class. But I'm in an argumentative mood, so here is my response:

1/3) The game itself is not designed around low levels. The story arches are what kept most invested in their classes as they level because, and I think BW would agree, the leveling experience has always been lacking in itself. However, I mentioned the introduction of the Discipline system next week which will REPLACE skill trees if I didn't make it clear. This gives each class a defined path of abilities and passives that cannot be altered, thus allowing them to make Tank classes "Tankier" and DPS class hit harder at lower levels while removing hybrids. Hybrids would be an issue if they made lower levels better with the skill tree system, for then you'd have each Tank class have far better survivability for say PvP compared to any other class.

2) NWN, to my understanding, was a real-time combat system. This is not what SWTOR is, nor will it ever be. The animation takes up that entire GCD in game because standing there after an animation for .5-1 secs would appear rather silly. Overall, I think your asking for a redesign of the entire engine to make the game play faster, but I got to say if you were raiding at end game, especially in NiM Operations, you'd enjoy the GCD as it gave you time to plan ahead of mechanics.

Another part of this, which is more noticeable at the higher levels, is that DPS Guardians are reliant on a 3 second channel. This is counter to any other MDPS in game, so it can appear as a "slow" class because of this.

4) Going to try and sum all the points up into a paragraph rather than point by point. A rotation is an optimal means of dealing damage, healing an ally or holding aggro. Its not necessary, especially with the Guardian, in order to played decently, but it helps. The Guardian rotations are far more malleable when compared to any other class. As a DPS, we are not reliant on anything outside of Master Strike. As a Tank, if your keeping up your mitigation abilities than your fine.

At low levels, the Tank and DPS specs have, more or less, the exact same abilities with few passives. In truth, the only difference at low levels is the passives offered by the forms. Other than that, your dealing with the same amount of abilities. This changes as you get closer to end game, but your asking for more abilities which only bloats our already long list of necessary abilities. Compared to other classes, Guardians have more rotational abilities. The way they keep us from having 10+ abilities that are necessary is our passives which deal greater damage too. Passives is simply a means of making our abilities better. Just because they don't have a button you can physically push doesn't mean they are not useful.

I believe you had a typo in that last sentence, but I agree. I don't think you dislike the class, but rather the game itself. Either way, I hope you find an appealing class going forward. But I urge you to be more open minded to the gameplay mechanics. I think you'll find as you experience tougher content that the GCD system works well.

1) Well that is good, but I was saying they be getting their dps or tank moves from the start instead of support skills. That just requires the developers to putting skills at different levels.

2a) Not that NWN game. God no. No No. Nooooo. *Has a PTSD moment* I was talking about this NWN game:

2b) I have tanked in fast pace end game raids in many games that could easily go to crap if you messed up, GCD is not really needed. JG needs to be more "kinetic" and I hate to say it, but the Trooper is more "kinetic" than a Jedi and that's sad for a class that revolves around martial arts and force pushes/pulls.

2c) Master Strike being your only source of good damage is apparent as soon as you get it because it's the only skill you get that does damage. Unfortunately, it has a high cooldown so you can only use it once or twice if the enemy has a huge health pool. Blade Storm does mass damage every now now and then with 600ish critical. (Greater on PvP videos) Overall, the lack of CCs and the ability to do criticals is what kills it with vigilance. Start at level 20ish, your ability to do damage does not scale well with the enemies you fight meaning if you fight an enemy who equal level to you, you will find yourself leaving out of the fight 60% to 10% of your health depending on the enemy. Even when you levels higher than the person you are fight, you can still lose.

4a) I don't use a formal rotation, but I use what I consider a combo and a set of combo. A full channeled Master Strike into a Riptose for example. It's when that combo gets bigger, it gets ridiculous. DPS should not get more skills, but should rely on pre-existing skills.

4b) Noooooooooo. I don't want more moves, but the game needs to be change to be more simply so you rely on LESS skills. In other words, a tank needs 1 attack skills, 2 or 3 aggro skills/pulls, and 1 or 2 CC skills. A DPS should have 2 or 3 CC skills, 3 or 4 DPS skills, and 1 movement skill. Having 100 different skills is stupid. This is not only holds true for SW, but ANY MMORPG. A tank force user should be using the force to LITERALLY pull enemies to them as I mentioned in my video. They should not be trying to WoW tank.

4c) I love the game and I currently love the Trooper so far. I may go back to my Jedi Guardian after the patch, but not right now. I understand the GCD for the Trooper because without it they could shoot continuously, but I don't see it with the Jedi Guardian as all their animations are so slow. Even if they could, their damage is so low and range so short, it wouldn't improve too much. In fact, what the JGs need is a change in animation and getting rid of GCDs. I understand the need for cools down for any class, but the GCDs aren't needed for the JG as the animations are enough for that.

Also I was both a tank and dps, but the JG is terrible at both because they are too spread thin for a class that doesn't have a huge strategy, but require a lot of attributes to do nothing.

Edited by adproduction

So overall, I think your looking for, as I said and that video you linked shows, a real-time combat system that uses cooldowns to force a rotation not a GCD. Along with this, a skill system that enables each spec to have its major abilities or passives at lower levels so the leveling experience is better. I would suggest two things:

1) Come back to the class next Tuesday. 3.0 drops then and I think you'll get what your asking for in terms of the getting major abilities at lower levels for each spec. I plan on doing the same to see the new leveling system because the thought of having better skills at lower levels sounds fantastic.

2) Play RDPS classes. If you enjoy the Commando, which I would believe is due to the casts basically nullifying the GCD, than you'd enjoy other casting specs such as Lightning for the Sith Sorcerers and Marksmanship for the Sniper.

So overall, I think your looking for, as I said and that video you linked shows, a real-time combat system that uses cooldowns to force a rotation not a GCD. Along with this, a skill system that enables each spec to have its major abilities or passives at lower levels so the leveling experience is better. I would suggest two things:

1) Come back to the class next Tuesday. 3.0 drops then and I think you'll get what your asking for in terms of the getting major abilities at lower levels for each spec. I plan on doing the same to see the new leveling system because the thought of having better skills at lower levels sounds fantastic.

2) Play RDPS classes. If you enjoy the Commando, which I would believe is due to the casts basically nullifying the GCD, than you'd enjoy other casting specs such as Lightning for the Sith Sorcerers and Marksmanship for the Sniper.

0) You nailed it.

1) Fair, we'll see what 3.0 brings.

2) Right now, I'm enjoy the commando and for this class, I understand the GCD because without it, they would be even more overpowered than a lot classes. There were so many combos I could do with this class that with out the GCD, I would be wiping out groups with a lot of ease. Right now, I'm preparing my JG for the 3.0 change adaptive gear as well item modifications and if it is favorable, I will keep him around.

I'm not trying to be a ***** or dismissive, but making assumptions about the state of the class before you play it in a completed state (which is what geared, max level represents) is rather like saying sex sucks because you werent a giant fan of foreplay.

There has to be some minimum GCD or time between attacks, otherwise it would become a game of "whoever clicks faster wins." People would use macros to go through an entire rotation with a single click, resulting in instantly killing your opponents. While people do sometimes get away with using macros, at least there is a 1.5 sec time interval that prevents instant kills.

There has to be some minimum GCD or time between attacks, otherwise it would become a game of "whoever clicks faster wins." People would use macros to go through an entire rotation with a single click, resulting in instantly killing your opponents. While people do sometimes get away with using macros, at least there is a 1.5 sec time interval that prevents instant kills.

Also the lag implications would be insane. Imagine if an ability had no cooldown and no GCD? Highest DPS would be a macro inputting the same button as fast as your connection could support, regardless of the damage of the ability itself, coupled with your natural rotation.

You're clearly a new player who has no business making a review of anything in this game. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just fact. Newb =new at the game. Leveling a guardian is incredibly easy, and leveling as Focus makes it even easier. It has a very clear priority system, if you are smart enough to grasp it, and considering that focus is touted as one of the easiest specs to play in game... if you can't master it, you really have no business making review videos. Maybe this isn't the game for you. I'd try Mario. Also, your main complaint, that the class doesn't have an identity early on, is being addressed in 3.0, which is out now, although honestly I think you claims are unjustified. And the elitists are the ones who actually know and love this game, and they are better than you at it,so you should maybe listen to their advice.

Ah the GCD guy again, hello!

Still trying to change the game 1.5s at a time I see. I'm just gonna say GL and sit back to watch you spin your wheels.

Have fun.

Oh, if I learned any thing from Guild Wars, WoW, etc. MMORPGs will #%#% everything up before getting it right so I don't even have my fingers crossed.

You're clearly a new player who has no business making a review of anything in this game.

It's okay guy, I understand you want to put on your big boy pants and feel like an elite by telling me, I know nothing. *Rolls eyes*

Edited by adproduction

The combat system in swtor has the 1.5 gcd in its dna, it's a fundamental part of the combat system. The devs have even moved away from the idea of off-gcd attacks with the most recent patch. Combat in swtor has a rhythmic pace, and once you get used to it it's very hard adjusting to games which don't use it. They tend to feel spammy and chaotic in comparison.

Still, I find the gcd limitation can break the flow of combat on some abilities. For example gap closing skills like force charge feel awkward with a gcd, as you'll often land and have to wait before you can use an ability, which can be the difference between the healer eating a ranged attack from a few enemies during that very short delay.

If you're quick you can run straight into a group of mobs and use smash, which completely avoids this issue, as you're spending your first gcd on AoE damage instead of a gap closer. Also being a guardian, you will often leap into a pack and be immediately punted away and slowed, which can be avoided by not opening with force charge (frustratingly counter-intuitive).

The combat system in swtor has the 1.5 gcd in its dna, it's a fundamental part of the combat system. The devs have even moved away from the idea of off-gcd attacks with the most recent patch. Combat in swtor has a rhythmic pace, and once you get used to it it's very hard adjusting to games which don't use it. They tend to feel spammy and chaotic in comparison.

Still, I find the gcd limitation can break the flow of combat on some abilities. For example gap closing skills like force charge feel awkward with a gcd, as you'll often land and have to wait before you can use an ability, which can be the difference between the healer eating a ranged attack from a few enemies during that very short delay.

If you're quick you can run straight into a group of mobs and use smash, which completely avoids this issue, as you're spending your first gcd on AoE damage instead of a gap closer. Also being a guardian, you will often leap into a pack and be immediately punted away and slowed, which can be avoided by not opening with force charge (frustratingly counter-intuitive).

1) No that's never been the case I have played NWN MMORPG, Dungeon Fighter, Guild Wars, LotR MMORPG, DDO MMORPG, WoW, etc. Spam and chaotic was never an issue. All those games have cooldowns, but not all of them had GCDs. This allowed for combos (or what you guys know as rotations) GCD in SWtor messes up the flow of that.

2) Exactly, which is why I personally think it should be removed and the class made more kinetic. I know it will never happen, but hey, I'm letting you know what works and what doesn't. I recently deleted my jedi after the changes because they moved Shien to level 41, which was just dumb. My character was deck out in all orange outfits and purple modifications and Bioware decides to move the stance i invested in, further of the tree. I was doing a whooping 400 to 600 a pop on certain moves to 1000 on Blade Storm at level 24 as a Shien vigilance build. And even with the Shien form, I was able to off tank with no problem. But thanks to the changes, my decked out dps build is useless.

3) Sadly, that's what I did after a while as I found myself flying out of the fight as soon as I jumped into it. I would crack jokes at my own expense, which of course cracked everyone else up. But yeah, I changed my tactics and decided to first run into the fight, wait for the knockdown attack, then I force leaped back into battle.

Edited by adproduction

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.