The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars 7 Official Trailer!

JidaiDerriphan

That light saber looks like sh*t. Absolutely horrid.

The X-wings were kinda cool..

Mostly this and found the droid pretty fun.

Also liked a lot the troopers preparing for assault, was nice.

Then while the saber is indeed iconic it felt like watching a sci-fi Templar themed movie.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point of baby beams. Whoever wields that lightsaber is begging to lose a hand. Which, of course, is bound to happen in a Star Wars trilogy.....you keep saying it don't matter what i think or the Sith in the movie don't care what i think...i guess if the critics review the teaser trailer and they didn't like the Sith cross guard saber then, you or the sith won't care what they think either right? lol..in the end it seems to me like you want me to agree with you and if i don't then my opinon don't matter.

Well, if I can put my big bang theory hat on for a moment.....

Crossguards protect against enemy blades, in this case a pure energy blade...so if a crossguard was needed it makes sense that it has be made of energy.

If you wanted to deflect a lightsaber using a crossguard "hook and push" method a small lightsaber blade would be needed.

I don't see the point of baby beams. Whoever wields that lightsaber is begging to lose a hand. Which, of course, is bound to happen in a Star Wars trilogy.....you keep saying it don't matter what i think or the Sith in the movie don't care what i think...i guess if the critics review the teaser trailer and they didn't like the Sith cross guard saber then, you or the sith won't care what they think either right? lol..in the end it seems to me like you want me to agree with you and if i don't then my opinon don't matter.

Double-bladed lightsabers are risk free to use in your mind? Your arguments mean little to me is all. There has never, ever, been a time where lightsabers in general have been a practical weapon by use of logic. We accept it is all. In fact the original concept was based on Japanese Katana style which wasn't really practical at all. It was a style based entirely on offensive principals in a society where honor usurped logic. The vast majority of combat styles outside of Japan were far more balanced in approach. The non-guarded lightsaber is nothing more than a trope continued throughout Star Wars. It in fact makes little sense.

Anyway, if you can wield a lightsaber (especially a double bladed one) and not kill yourself I am sure 2 small arse little guards won't get in your way. You can see in the teaser that they do not appear until after the weapon is drawn and engaged. The style of use for it would ensure the user is not cutting themselves up. Crossguards were to protect the users own hands from other swords (in which having it made of out a beam makes sense or risk damage to the hilt) and could be used to trap so had an offensive purpose as well (which makes them more offensive if a beam). This is why I am interested to see how it is used in the movie.

They serve a purpose if based on the style of combat. That is my one and only interest. They serve a purpose in traditional sword play and there is no denying that.

Edited by Tamanous

Also note, the guard generally does not exist to prevent slippage...it exists to protect the persons hand from blade strikes when deflecting enemy blows. Blades often travel along the edge of a sword when parried, and around the 10th century crossgaurds were put in place to protect the sword wielders hand from injury.

SW lightsaber combat is based on Japanese Kendo.

The movements nor the handling are the same than with European middle age swords.

In short you would be somehow limited to what you can do with such hilts.

Now the LS are indeed missing a tsuba (or equivalent)

The movements nor the handling are the same than with European middle age swords.

That doesn't mean that every single movie or person in the Star Wars universe should use that style. It makes sense for other styles of sword play to be used.

Fair enough...could be for a new lightsaber form however.

If you are one of those who feel the lightsaber grip/handle was 'dumb', you seriously have ZERO knowledge about sword technique forms.

ZERO KNOWLEDGE.

The possibilities that are brought with modified grips are endless. Quit showing your ignorance. It's laughable....

the only negative thing i have to say about the trailer its: indeed the saber is horrible, forked? fine they existed but not even the sound is the issue is the blade shacking like hell, even sabers from original movies on my sight are better, i hope its only character specific, or other explanation like the guy built the saber is a very bad conditions and inst perfect, otherwise if the other sabers are like that then i think that will be negative fr the movie, this movie needs to be nearly perfect so people have will to go more then once watch it. just my opinion nothing more

If you are one of those who feel the lightsaber grip/handle was 'dumb', you seriously have ZERO knowledge about sword technique forms.

ZERO KNOWLEDGE.

The possibilities that are brought with modified grips are endless. Quit showing your ignorance. It's laughable....

Well, I think it depends on why they think it is "dumb". If they think it is dumb because it looks dumb, that is a perfectly valid observation IMO.

the only negative thing i have to say about the trailer its: indeed the saber is horrible, forked? fine they existed but not even the sound is the issue is the blade shacking like hell, even sabers from original movies on my sight are better, i hope its only character specific, or other explanation like the guy built the saber is a very bad conditions and inst perfect, otherwise if the other sabers are like that then i think that will be negative fr the movie, this movie needs to be nearly perfect so people have will to go more then once watch it. just my opinion nothing more

No movie is nearly perfect and asking for such is asking to be let down

The badly constructed lightsaber makes sense if the Imperial Remnant is still a thing. There's no-one to teach them how to properly make a lightsaber and it could be exhaust venting from the chamber. A visual representation of the legacy of the Sith and how the new generation is having to start from scratch.

I was around when the double bladed lightsaber was first shown and people absolutely hated that aswell after seeing it for 3 seconds. Now its well established and one of people's favourite weapons.

My point before which stands now is that nobody has any idea what anything in this movie is and we've seen a highly edited 90 seconds of a 2 hour plus film. Saying it's a bit early to throw the whole thing out and say how crap it is should be self evident.

Well, I think it depends on why they think it is "dumb". If they think it is dumb because it looks dumb, that is a perfectly valid observation IMO.

Agreed, to a point. But looking at the arguments made against it from posters like LT.whatever, there's zero logic.

Like any 'modern' type of lightsaber in the SW universe couldn't evolve with the technology or even combat forms.

Well thought out.......lol

The Cross Saber would not make sense if your mind is stuck inside the box. If the fighting style makes use of it then I am all for the change, if it doesn't then it will most likely be the Jar Jar of light sabers. Either way I am excited for the movie and to see how it all plays out.

I don't think mind should be in box.

"can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out."

Anyway I prefer the beach ball droid with the R2 unit head beeping , myself.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'm happy to be a heretic, but I've always enjoyed the Old Republic Universe (KOTOR I and onwards) more than the movie universe.

Let's face it, some of the movies are terrible. George Lucas has even commented on how lackluster the story was in Episode 4.

- Arcada

Agreed, to a point. But looking at the arguments made against it from posters like LT.whatever, there's zero logic.

Like any 'modern' type of lightsaber in the SW universe couldn't evolve with the technology or even combat forms.

Well thought out.......lol

Dooku, Luke, and Vader all lost hands to their opponents. A hilt guard may not have saved them, but it couldn't hurt.. and losing hands to lightsabers is a recurring hazard in Star Wars films, after all. Someone loses body parts to a lightsaber in every film so far; usually a hand.

Trailer looks awesome. Especially enjoyed that frightened stormtrooper. Finally we are shown their human side!

Not a big fan of the lightsaber but a single minor detail like that won't ruin a movie for me hehe :)

Judging from the trailer the movie could be great. Then again, episode I's trailer looked great too :rolleyes:

Yes and no. For example there are quite a few basic stances you can't use with such grips

The one I immediately thought about when I saw the movie was the In No Kamae

The blade is held very close to the head and you would impale yourself with the guard for sure. I don't know in which episode it was but we saw a jedi using this stance. Although if I remember well it wasn't used as defensive stance but more to show off ;)

Then in LS combat the opponents quite often come very close one to the other. While it's nice to be able to wound your enemy with your guard, it's not worth risking being hit also by your own guard.

Now would the saber owner be able to only activate one side of the guard then it becomes interesting ;)

Edited by Deewe