The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rebels has a legitimately good two-parter

DarthDymond

The "Empire Day"/"Gathering Forces" two-parter was made up of two genuinely solid episodes, that also made a very good hour-long story. If episodes like these keep up, Rebels may well go from "not bad for a kid's show" to "good Star Wars entertainment". They weren't perfect (Ezra having to admit his inner fears in order to touch the mind of the animals was a bit... clunky, could have worked in theory but the execution just wasn't all there), but the good far outweighed the bad IMHO.

Some random highlights/thoughts:

Empire Day:

Some love for the Stormtrooper fans: a random Stormtrooper on a speeder bike gets the drop on the escaping Rebels and puts up a decent one-on-one fight, with no moments of glaring stupidity.

The whole getaway was an all-around solid sequence.

Agent Kallus and the Inquisitor both made their presence felt, and actually worked with the plot (unlike in "Breaking Ranks" where Kallus felt pointlessly tacked on).

Good dynamics from the Rebels team, it was nice to see Zeb take a step back and Sabine take a step forward in terms of focus for an episode (I can't put my finger on it, but I actually felt she worked better here than in the Sabine-and-Hera-focused "Out of Darkness" episode).

Gathering Forces:

Loved the complication and the solution of having the Ghost tagged, but the tracker being on the Phantom - good ploting/storytelling there. The space-battle leading up to it was good too.

Loved the special effects for the Phantom detaching/dropping out of hyperspace - first time the show did something that felt both (A) original and (B) like a cool Star Wars-y moment at the same time.

The Inquisitor/Kanan duel was fantastic. This encounter had everything I felt was somehow lacking in the Inquisitor's introduction in "Rise of the Old Masters"

They even made the Inquisitor's gimmick of the spinning saberstaff work - when he was dual-wielding Kanan's lightsaber and his own saberstaff and started it spinning I was genuinely impressed at how it came across.

Ezra touching the Dark Side was a solid moment - and I liked that rather than have him inexplicably able to throw lightning or something like that to resolve the fight against the Inquisitor, it just augmented his connection with the creatures and let him summon the giant monster. Also, a great scene having the Inquisitor still stand his ground against the monster - that is how you have your heroes "win" without diminishing the effectiveness of the villains.

If they're just going to go ahead and have "Fulcrum" be Bail Organa (or Leia?), they should go ahead and get to the reveal (I expected Fulcrum being Bail would be a 'twist' at the end of "Darkness" just based of Hera's secrecy about him). If that's just what we're supposed to think, so that they can pull off a surprise twist, then okay, I can live with a bit more drawing it out, but not much.

Edited by DarthDymond

Loved the special effects for the Phantom detaching/dropping out of hyperspace

Uhm. Yea. Except its a HYPERSPACE. Not some flashy tunnel. Well it is... but... whatever. You cannot leave it without hyperdrive. And i'm sure, Phantom doesn't have it.

I dunno where to complain about it. :(

I don't think "fulcrum" it's gonna be either one of the ppl you mentioned. I'm betting it'll be

Garm Bel Iblis

I did enjoy this episode tho. I've actually enjoyed all of them so far. And they must be doing something right, because there is NO other show on tv that can get and hold the full attention of my wife, myself, my 13yr old daughter, 11yr old son, and 3yr old twin daughters. Watching Rebels is now a family event in my house lol. :D

I think Folcrum is Ashoka. Why would they keep Organa a secret when they already introduced him and Leia is just a kid during this i wouldnt expect her to be running something by herself or get to involved in the rebellion just yet.

I think Folcrum is Ashoka. Why would they keep Organa a secret when they already introduced him and Leia is just a kid during this i wouldnt expect her to be running something by herself or get to involved in the rebellion just yet.

That would get a "Hell yes!" from me if it ends up being the case.

As for Leia being too young to be involved in the growing Rebellion, at this point in the timeline she's a year older than her mother was when she was the elected Queen of Naboo, so I wouldn't rule anything out on that front.

That would get a "Hell yes!" from me if it ends up being the case.

As for Leia being too young to be involved in the growing Rebellion, at this point in the timeline she's a year older than her mother was when she was the elected Queen of Naboo, so I wouldn't rule anything out on that front.

That is very true about Leia. But she doesnt know her mother haha so who know if Organa has her at his side during this and we just didnt see her yet though? Just dont think she would be on her own just yet.