Press Event NDAs expired at 6AM PST ...

BuriDogshin

What sites are people going to check first, I wonder?

I have Dulfy, Pretty Little Sith, and OotiniCast open in tabs waiting for refresh ...

Edit: 6AM PST and Pretty Little Sith is updated, not many story spoilers and they are marked.

Edited by BuriDogshin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing else yet but "Pretty Little Sith" ...

I found this bit from her article interesting/informative:

Swtorista: Are you aware the most commonly guessed solution [to PVP queue times] is to allow F2P to queue? For everything? Ranked?

Dev: We looked at those numbers, and it would be trivial. For example F2P players can do 5 warzones a week – the amount of players hitting that restriction are less than 2%, around 1.4% of players who have that restriction. And that’s from the pool of F2P players that play warzones at all. It would not even make a difference. We have better solutions – we’re working on it.

Edited by DarthDymond

What sites are people going to check first, I wonder?

I have Dulfy, Pretty Little Sith, and OotiniCast open in tabs waiting for refresh ...

Edit: 6AM PST and Pretty Little Sith is updated, not many story spoilers and they are marked.

Thank you so much for posting this. Pretty Little Sith's article is well worth the read.

• Dev Post
From Pretty lIttle Sith's website and the Ootinicast. It's NOT the closed beta NDA, rather it is the press event NDA.

I do want to point this out to avoid any confusion today. What is lifting is the press embargo from our event at EARS last week. This has no effect on the Closed Testing NDA.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

I do want to point this out to avoid any confusion today. What is lifting is the press embargo from our event at EARS last week. This has no effect on the Closed Testing NDA.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Musco! Musco! I demand an explanation for this MASSIVE ISSUE!

Why haven't we seen your insanely good dance moves, yet?! I demand to see your funky groove! :mad:

Edited by Essence_of_Light

And they are going to skull@#$% legacy gear.

This and the comments from the various cantinas make you realize that 99% of the stuff ever said or discussed at length on the forums is never, ever read by anyone at Bioware. Then one pedantic jerk shows up at a cantina or a press event and with one idiotic offhand comment inspires them to screw an entire game system.

It's especially dumb given their other comments about how they "want stuff" from all sorts of other games, specifically mentioning GW2, where "bound" universally means bound to ACCOUNT for ALL gear. They're a decade behind the times on this to begin with, so two steps back is not exactly "progress" at this point.

Edited by Heezdedjim

And they are going to skull@#$% legacy gear.

Yeah, I have to say this may be a terrible idea. I think SWTOR appeals a lot to the casual MMO player and legacy gear is a favorite tool to that end. I would say that the reason I am playing SWTOR and not Archeage or ESO is that I can do it so casually.

To anyone wondering about the legacy gear, here is roughly what was said...

Legacy Gear and NMM Content

Michael: [soap box! Speaking about how players in endgame funnel gear back and forth between characters to subvert the weekly lockout. He thinks legacy gear and that ability is bad for the game. He acknowledhes it is difficult and nuanced to argue.]

Dev: The problem is we have to be very careful in pulling it out [Note: Legacy gear was meant to originally be for fun sharing gear looks between characters, not to share statistical gear.]

Michael: I’m not saying pull it out – just for Nightmare gear. You already can’t craft it, ever. you still can’t craft Kell Dragon gear.

Dev: It’s a valid point. Jesse wants to overhaul how the legacy gear system works in general. I’m pretty sure that’s the only thing people use it for. It’s not really serving its purpose right now. It’s something we are looking at to alter but we don’t know how yet.

Who knows what these changes will be, it sounds like they are really still discussing it.

It could be just barring NMM inserts from legacy gear.

It could be tied in with the costume system, so you don't have to stick your inserts in the mail.

It could be tying all inserts to legacy instead of to character.

There's a ton of solutions that don't involve "NERF LEGACY GEAR, LEGACY GEAR OP!". So don't worry to much and keep watching the press / devtracker :)

And I think I just read something that implies they have a "solo" version of one of the new operations....

Can this game cater to bads any more than it already does?

Don't worry, you won't lose your Ops E-peen. There will be two ways to finish the story, the Operations, and a solo "Dailies" type of quest chain. From the sounds of it, it'll be the same cutscenes in both.

Swtorista's article and Q&A coverage is up too (her Q&A section is the same as Pretty Little Sith's except for the "my thoughts"/"commentary" notes after a few of the sections). I've been reading the Q&A and overview stuff cautiously since I want to avoid any story spoilers, but a few things stood out that I found interesting:

After Expansion

Lulaboo: Talking about next year… are you guys allowed to talk about what’s coming up after this expansion?

Dev: Not yet. Only that we are doubling-down on Bioware cinematics. You’ll probably have a few hints when you get to the end of this one.

As a fan of BW storytelling (and story in games in general), I am a fan of this response.

On Transparency:

Dev: [enthusiastic, amused, good-humoured] Bruce literally went to the [Cantina Tour] event in New York going “I’m just going to tell people everything. I’m going to tell them all kinds of stuff.” People have made the joke that Bruce was just drunk and revealing information [Andrew Horowitz interrupts and claims it was his fault Bruce got drunk] – but Bruce was literally quite frustrated that we were holding back and our communication was light and we were holding information back [due to the expansion].

Dev: [bruce interrupting] I was sooooo frustrated this year with our – our whole approach has been “just tell them what we’re working on, tell them the dates we’re shooting for, tell them we missed the dates” says sorry when we missed them, but that’s the approach we wanted. So I had a catharsis moment in New York. [much laughter]

Michael: If I may, I think that approach would be better. As a player, I’ve been frustrated with how opaque everything’s been.

Dev: Agreed. This year has been super tough for that. Mostly because of Strongholds and Shadow of Revan. We truly believe, and Bruce has shown over and over, if you think about it, in January, when Bruce wrote our “here’s what’s coming this year” he was like, we have an expansion, then another expansion, then another expansion, and then this is going to happen and we are all looking at him and saying “omg Bruce” and he was like “yeah”. So yeah he believes that and we will get back on that middle ground. [bruce joking] “and that’s why I won’t be allowed to go to the cantinas anymore.” [laughter]

Dev: We created our own perfect storm where we really just worked in a vacuum. We’re totally a studio of “let’s be transparent”. My manager is like that, these guys are like that, we want to tell people everything. We just created this weird situation where we put ourselves in a vacuum of silence on accident. It just happened that way. And it was kind of a horrible situation we were in.

Not sure how much of this is "spin" vs how much is sincere, but it's good to hear that it's at least something they're making a point to go into some depth about. Their transparency (or lack) has never bothered me personally (one exception: the info gap prior to the 2014 roadmap), but I know it's been an issue for a lot of fans lately, so for their sake hopefully there will be follow-through by BW on this front.

Data-Mining:

Dev: [Eric] I can speak about the community – I think at least the last couple months data mining especially has been a thing. There was a really strange perspective in the community that we were waging a war against data mining, and I think that happened because we told TOROcast that I wouldn’t do an interview with them because they were talking about data mining and EXPLOITING.

Dev: That was actually the thing.

Dev: [Eric] What spun this all up is that they had a show where they were specifically talking about data mining – which I do need to say, although we know it’s going to happen it IS against our rules – but they were specifically talking about how to EXPLOIT content. And because of that, I just couldn’t draw attention to it. It spiraled into “we hate data mining”. You can look – we’ve never asked Reddit to take down data mining posts, even fan sites that post data mined content, we never ask anyone to take any of it down. It’s not that we’re against data mining – it’s just that we can’t be FOR it.

Again, your mileage may vary on what you think is spin vs what you think is sincere, but this was interesting to see.

Edited by DarthDymond

This and the comments from the various cantinas make you realize that 99% of the stuff ever said or discussed at length on the forums is never, ever read by anyone at Bioware. Then one pedantic jerk shows up at a cantina or a press event and with one idiotic offhand comment inspires them to screw an entire game system.

It's especially dumb given their other comments about how they "want stuff" from all sorts of other games, specifically mentioning GW2, where "bound" universally means bound to ACCOUNT for ALL gear. They're a decade behind the times on this to begin with, so two steps back is not exactly "progress" at this point.

thats the problem, luck of imagination, they listen and take opinions from organic portals.. lol

An other game must do it first, be able to say EURIKA I WANT THAT. And not always the best ideas or implimantations.

The only thing they should copy from GW2 is the smoother engine and smooth draw distanse, compared to swtor.

Edited by Oyranos

And I think I just read something that implies they have a "solo" version of one of the new operations....

Can this game cater to bads any more than it already does?

any time I see some one use the term"bads" i realize they are an idiot. I love my 16 man hm raids. I raid a lot, both pug and guild. But I realize that not everyone plays like me. the info in this game doesnt come easy. Some one that doesnt have number crunching guildies to discuss tanking stats or the like wont necessarily know how much defense to build in. and then there are the people that just dont team. at least not raiding teams. the devs are attempting to give them an opportunity to see the game. solo raids will never compete with 16 man hm runs for fun, but that doesnt mean they dont have a place. Many times a "bad" can be converted to a "good" by talking to people and explaining some of the details. I have known a number of people that became raiders but were afraid to start because they didnt want to mess up the raid. We ran them through an EV or the like to get them started. amazing what a little conversation and friendship will do.

Correct me if Im wrong because I very well might be, but wasn't that Datamining! and Exploiting! to-do about the Data-miners trying to WARN Bioware of some relatively game-breaking exploit they found so they could fix it?

Yes but it was HOW miner spoke on the exploit. Had he messaged the devs about it instead of broadcasting it on TOROCast the response from Bioware would have been different

I know a nice feature that I havent read on this interviews... We are not allowed to write them down is it....

The interviews actually tells us nothing, only some spoilers and promises for unknown stuff.

As for the PVP I bet its like the old wow system.. You choose where to queue, its not random. That will make players play their fav arenas and the queue system will be faster that way. There is nothing else better, other than cross server.

Edited by Oyranos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.