Commendations and Refund Timers in 3.0

EricMusco

What doesn't make sense?

Is there a federal law that says two different kinds of gear can't have the same rating?

A lot of Level 55 PvP gear, for instance, used to be the same rating as level 50 raiding gear.

I think he means that it wouldn't make sense to reward the same gear in NiM 55 ops as they do with Basic comms. Which is a valid point. In 2.0, only up to Campaign was offered for Basic comms. I would expect 1-2 tiers below the current top tier to be available for Basic.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2.0, only up to Campaign was offered for Basic comms. I would expect 1-2 tiers below the current top tier to be available for Basic.

Yeah, I would also prefer if they gave out rating... say, rating 176 as freebie drops, rating 182 for Basic Comms, rating 188 for Elite Comms. So that there is some gear progression, that even Elite Comms buy you something comparable to current NiM gear, but it doesn't instantly turn all your hard-earned operations gear into vendor trash.

These exact numbers, 182 and 188, are based on creating sort of a choice, such that it would make sense to mix 180DF/182 and 186DM/188 based on specific itemization.

But seems like it's 186 that will be given away for Basics.

So, then we would have

Level 55 186 gear (NiM)

Level 60 186 gear

Level 60 192 gear

Level 60 198

I don't know what the level requirements will be, as the Developers might have a different philosophy about that, but the historical structure of commendation purchasing power is pretty clear-cut. I expect the following gear hierarchy in 3.0.

• 186 commendation gear (Basics) - no set bonus, no min/max stats
  • 192 commendation gear (Elites) - no set bonus, no min/max stats
  • 186 tokens (DF/DP NM)
  • 198 commendation gear (Ultimates) - no set bonus, no min/max stats
  • 192 tokens (new operations SM)
  • 198 tokens (new operations HM)

So a player in 186 token drops from nightmare DF/DP coming into 3.0 is unlikely to replace their gear with 192 commendation purchases, and is unlikely to bother with replacing any of their gear with 198 commendation purchases either, other than 198 armors that don't affect their set bonus, and any min/max 198 mods that might be available.

Nightmare DF/DP players will only begin to see meaningful gear upgrades with 192 and 198 token drops from the new operations.

Edited by Levram

So, then we would have

Level 55 186 gear (NiM)

Level 60 186 gear

Level 60 192 gear

Level 60 198 gear

I expect there will be an intermediate gear level between 55 and 60, just as there is L53 gear now.

Probably L58, and L58 purple will probably be enough for at least some L60 SM FP or Op content.

I won't be surprised if the current Dread-Master/Dread-Touched 186 gear stays L55-NiM-drop-only, but the L58 gear may have the same 186 rating as the current NiM 186 gear.

I have no idea what 3.0 Basic comms will buy at L60 or any level above 55, if anything. Like current Planetaries, 3.0 Basic comms may only buy gear up to 5 levels less than max -- that is, gear you can buy now, maybe including 180 gear. Who knows?

Four tiers of top-level gear, as we have now (162, 168, 180 and 186) is a bit silly when you think about it.

So Basic comms might not buy L60 gear of any kind. We'll see soon enough.

I expect the new 3.0 Elite and Ultimate comms will buy first and second tiers of L60 purple gear, respectively, in a manner similar to how pre-3.0 Elite and Ultimate comms buy L55 gear.

And I expect that if /when NiM L60 content is added, it will drop a third tier of L60 gear.

Already asked previously, but it's getting lost in the additional posts and bickering...

Would like clarification if PvE sets moving to a different vendor include the sets available for comms (Verpine/Underworld/etc.) or just the raid token drop swap gear, or both?!

Yeah, I don't get this at all. I read the quote but like... are they completely REMOVING Oroban and Brutalizer gear from the game? Can we even get the shells somewhere? Or will they still exist as their PvE cousins on some other vendor somewhere?

i.e. Do I have to hoard one of the gear sets before 3.0?

Yeah, I don't get this at all. I read the quote but like... are they completely REMOVING Oroban and Brutalizer gear from the game? Can we even get the shells somewhere? Or will they still exist as their PvE cousins on some other vendor somewhere?

You couldn't get Champion/Battlemaster/War Hero/etc. sets after 2.0 unless they were crafted, IIRC. Probably not going to be able to buy the current sets in 3.0.

You couldn't get Champion/Battlemaster/War Hero/etc. sets after 2.0 unless they were crafted, IIRC. Probably not going to be able to buy the current sets in 3.0.

Only Battlemaster and War Hero are available as craft-able gear. You had to buy a box with the schematics for them for 50k each. You could buy 2 versions of the war hero gear: rated and not rated. The 2.0 PVP gear was taken out completely and is not available as crafted or otherwise (Partisan and Conqueror gear).

It's a bit of a slight to the PVP community in that the PVE version shells (Verpine at least) were able to be reverse engineered for a schematic but the PVP versions weren't. This trend continues currently with the Dread Forged gear able to be reverse engineered but neither the Obroan nor Brutalizer are.

The pve versions are identical, so you can just get those w/ basic comms

Is there any ETA as to when the conversion rates will be officially released?

I would expect that the gear drops from NiM DF/DP will remain the same, meaning players can either gear with bis 186 from there or use the (probably level 60 so levelling isn't too easy) non-bis gear from the comms vendor. I would hazard a guess that Bioware would rather avoid a long grind to get people raiding as happened last time with either basic commendation for 156 gear farming or running endless HM flash points for the drops.

So I assume low level planets will use the basic comms. Will completing low planet heroics get basics as rewards like they do with planetary comms now? If so, I imagine there will be a 1:1 conversion from Planetary comms, and if not, and you need more basics, you could just run low level heroics to get more.

So I assume low level planets will use the basic comms. Will completing low planet heroics get basics as rewards like they do with planetary comms now? .... and you need more basics, you could just run low level heroics to get more.

Yes.

Whatever Basics will buy is going to be pretty close to worthless, throwaway starter gear. All the people hoarding their comms for 2 months, running around ops in greens... everyone's captivated by expected 186 being more than 180, and it is, but Basics are the new planetary and whatever.

Unless they buy something like Isotopes again.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

Yes.

Whatever Basics will buy is going to be pretty close to worthless, throwaway starter gear. All the people hoarding their comms for 2 months, running around ops in greens... everyone's captivated by expected 186 being more than 180, and it is, but Basics are the new planetary and whatever.

Unless they buy something like Isotopes again.

The hoarding has amazed me as well, as players in 180+ gear are not going to see much if any benefit from the new Basic gear, and for everyone else, it will be entry level gear that will most likely also be craftable, and replaced as fast as possible running HM FPs, SM Ops, and HM Ops.

Not only that, but all the content leveling to 60 will drop Basic comms, and being capped at 55 with new gear to buy at 60 will mean players will have effectively wasted time now to hoard comms they would have earned leveling to 60 anyway, and they will still need to complete the leveling content and reach 60 before spending their horded comms.

And lastly, since all of the old commendations are being swapped to Basic, it also means all the old content will be dropping Basics, so farming up a bunch at 60 will be a trivial issue - though to go full circle - to buy trivial gear.

Edited by DawnAskham

The hoarding has amazed me as well, as players in 180+ gear are not going to see much if any benefit from the new Basic gear, and for everyone else, it will be entry level gear that will most likely also be craftable, and replaced as fast as possible running HM FPs, SM Ops, and HM Ops.

Not only that, but all the content leveling to 60 will drop Basic comms, and being capped at 55 with new gear to buy at 60 will mean players will have effectively wasted time now to hoard comms they would have earned leveling to 60 anyway, and they will still need to complete the leveling content and reach 60 before spending their horded comms.

And lastly, since all of the old commendations are being swapped to Basic, it also means all the old content will be dropping Basics, so farming up a bunch at 60 will be a trivial issue - though to go full circle - to buy trivial gear.

Legacy gear? You know, those 4 pilot armor sets we all got, legacy weapons, legacy offhands...

I wanted to try KP in 140/148 but thought I would only get kicked. Now it's too late.

Edited by Halinalle

The hoarding has amazed me as well, as players in 180+ gear are not going to see much if any benefit from the new Basic gear, and for everyone else, it will be entry level gear that will most likely also be craftable, and replaced as fast as possible running HM FPs, SM Ops, and HM Ops...[snip]

Whilst it may seem worthless to you, I can understand why people are doing it. I myself have stacked up what I expect will be enough to gear out my mains on both sides with the help of legacy gear. Given the abundance of commendations

right now, it only takes a couple of weeks to have hit your caps.

The argument can certainly be made for relying on the story and quests to give you basic comms, but, assuming the cost of gear stays the same, you're looking at around 1500 commendations to get a full set. Assuming the cap doesn't change and just has a temporary max put on it (as with the last expansion), it would be very frustrating to be prevented from getting gear when you hit 60. Basing on my experience of Makeb, I think I only managed about 100 comms during levelling, the rest was from FP grind at 55. Personally I'd rather stack comms now and then go and buy 186 gear when I hit 60.

While the gear may seem trivial to you, there are players that think the gear is an improvement for what they have. They may only have 168 gear now and so they may be gathering the comms to get better gear than what they have right now.

But a time consuming one, considering weekly caps. Also I imagine the ops entry level gear to be quite expensive compared to the planetary vendor equivalents.

Edited by TezMoney

Well for people that play planet to planet they want the coms. Not everyone gives a frell about OPS. People like it more power to them. To me it is a waste of time. That is me. How I play the game is my business. How others play is theirs.

Well for people that play planet to planet they want the coms. Not everyone gives a frell about OPS. People like it more power to them. To me it is a waste of time. That is me. How I play the game is my business. How others play is theirs.

I don't get the point of your post? You just use basic coms instead of planetary ones, just like pre 2.0 you used different coms for every planet and now you use planetary.

I don't get the point of your post? You just use basic coms instead of planetary ones, just like pre 2.0 you used different coms for every planet and now you use planetary.

I know that. It is just people forget that it isn't all about ops. So if they dork people on the ratio it will screw those that use them to buy mods and such. I craft most of my gear and mods but not everyone does. Planet level coms are important to others that actually play thru the game.

I know that. It is just people forget that it isn't all about ops. So if they dork people on the ratio it will screw those that use them to buy mods and such. I craft most of my gear and mods but not everyone does. Planet level coms are important to others that actually play thru the game.

it's a 1:1 ration, so it's all good.

it's a 1:1 ration, so it's all good.

Really? That has been decided? That would be cool. I thought they were going to do a ratio when they switched to basics. People that had planet coms changed would be on the short end of the stick. If it is 1:1 that will be cool. There is a lot of new people in the game. I been run some low levels and buffing a bunch that only have one class buff. Coms are big deal till they get their crafting going. If they go that route.

Really? That has been decided? That would be cool.

Just saying if Basics are the new planetary, it should be 1:1 for planetary to basic, and even if it isn't low level missions will drop Basics now, so getting the 100 you could have had with your planetary cap won't take long at all.

Give me a break. No ratios have been mentioned. It should be about this..

Planetary 100 to 1

Classic 100 to 1

Basic 10 to 1

Elite 1 to 1

Ultimate 2 or 3 to 1

Caps will be 1000 with overflow only after the first change upon the release of the expac.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.