The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Unexpected side-effect of the lower cartel pack prices...

OddballEasyEight

Well the prices are back up to around 225k again.

It's interesting to see the price ranges on the other servers.

I'll be switching from selling packs to selling escrows instead from now on I think.

Prices there seem to be more stable, and I'll be able to do it whenever I feel like it and won't have to wait for the next cartel pack to drop. (I've only been selling packs when they drop a new one)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, people are hoarding credits in anticipation of 3.0, to pay for the new skills, augmentations, etcetera.

Accordingly, deflation may have set in: credits may be worth more than they used to, and as a result the credit-to-CC ratio may have dropped.

Just this to be honest. Players already know it costs a lot to fully upgrade a set of armour with augment slots / augmentations and pulling mods. If you multiply that across a legacy of toons that cost becomes exponential.

Think about it;

- Pulling armourings / mods / enhancements from 9 x items is roughly 270k currently.

- Adding or upgrading augment slots for 14 x items is currently 504k (likely to be higher circa 3.0)

- If you can't craft augments or don't want to wait, buying them is somewhere between 100k - 150k on current prices (on my server) so it isn't unrealistic to expect to spend ~ 1 million on augments.

Essentially that's near to 1.75 mill credits per toon, multiply that across a legacy of toons, especially where players have been levelling to 55 on new toons and the credit sink is pretty daunting.

So if players are hoarding credits in anticipation for 3.0 then they're not going to mess around waiting or re-listing items that haven't sold. Also factor in a lot of players have spent large amounts of credits on Strongholds recently and you'll probably see why prices are being listed a lot lower than the general rule of thumb of 1cc = 1000 credit conversion ratios (with exception to supply and demand).

Bought almost all of the packs he put up first time at 228k. Spent all my money (slightly less than 10 million at the time). ...

The price never went up again.

So you tried to play the market, then the market played you. It happens, you win some, you lose some.

It's kinda sad in a way, that I made more money from selling the stuff inside the boxes than I would have from selling the boxes themselves.

I've noticed the same thing with recent packs. Used to be packs were a losing proposition, you'd get worthless junk. Now the contents tend to pay for the pack. And if I have 0/50 of something, I use one of the items, sell the rest. Plus, rep tokens. All in all, not a bad use of credits.

So if players are hoarding credits in anticipation for 3.0 then they're not going to mess around waiting or re-listing items that haven't sold. Also factor in a lot of players have spent large amounts of credits on Strongholds recently and you'll probably see why prices are being listed a lot lower than the general rule of thumb of 1cc = 1000 credit conversion ratios (with exception to supply and demand).

All fair points and explains why some of the more rare items I get aren't selling so well.

I have lately thought to stop listing my more rare items as I'm probably undercutting myself somewhat to what I would get in a regular situation where credits are more freed up.

In saying that it does only take 1 buyer to buy that 1 rare item at a very nice price. :)

E.g. I sell a crystal for 1.2 million because I wasn't aware they used to go for 3 million ... doesn't bother me too much I still got 1.2 million for it.