GSF Night on The Ebon Hawk, November 15th

Drakkolich

Tonev, almost everything is wrong with your post, including where you put it.

Well, I can honestly gave this a go and tried to really enjoy this event but, I think this was the first and last time I play this part of the game, as being one shotted by mastered ships and weapons was/is not fun (I found the CC ground cluster of PvP more relaxing).

This event was a call to all GSF pilots, which means that we would not expect most pilots to show up in naked ships. That's a big part of why there was some time given to spin up your ships. If you are a fresh player, you won't have the skill to compete with the experienced players, and the gear doesn't matter at all (gear matters in a fight with players of similar skill- I cannot impress upon you enough how little a fresh player knows about the game, so just discount gear as a thing for now). That's not to say you shouldn't show up, but show up with a student's mind- watch what the vets are doing, hop in voice, ask questions.

If you don't like losing better players- especially if you think it's about "mastered ships"- you shouldn't attend these events. That you chose to use a time when a great deal of experienced pilots show from across all servers and judge your typical experience by it is absolutely beyond baffling.

Also: You weren't getting "one shot by mastered ships". Anyone who says this doesn't know how to pay attention, read the GUI, or for that matter construct a real time narrative of GSF events as they happen around him at all. One shots are extremely rare, and if you are talking about them as if they are common, you've probably experienced a grand total of zero.

I think in order to fix the issue of giving "beginning" good or bad players a chance, they need to implement levels based on ship components ( one whole ship upgrade for level with five upgrades being masters level).

The matchmaker tries to do this, but it doesn't have an unlimited pool to work with. Much more importantly, it would be a tragedy if mastered ships only fought mastered ships- there would be no reward except an inability to get games for mastering ships, and any lower bracket would be filled with a bunch of aces on stock ships, and the threads would be me and others analyzing exactly which components you have to buy to still qualify to get games while being essentially mastered. This idea comes up a lot, and it's a terrible idea- probably the worst idea a new player can have about GSF, because it translates to "Better players kill me, and I don't want to admit it's because they are better. Please devs, stop them from playing the game. No one better than me should be allowed to play."

Giving people 400% GSF xp still won't fix the "****'" GSF attitude seen in the game either, which I experienced when I asked a question in general and PvP channel, yesterday.

Who cares? If you need to be heavily bribed on your ground character in order to play GSF- not merely commensurate rewards to the rest of the game, but in excess- then you aren't a pilot, you're a ground guy that feels he has to queue GSF because it's efficient.

Also, you will want to cjoin gsf on Ebon Hawk (pretty sure this is on both factions). The PvP channel is only for the MMO style ground pvp, and general chat on Ebon Hawk is fraught with peril for any topic. But the GSF channel is filled with pilots who will help you, group with you, etc.

Again- this, and other events, are short events on different servers that serve as focal points for the GSF community to show up and have some fun. Some are more serious than others, and it's great that Drako organizes them. If you, as a brand new player, walk into an active and experienced pvp community, you will of course get torn apart by better players. If that doesn't appeal to you, then you should sit these out.

And you should definitely not come into an event thread, asking for changes to a game you know nothing about.

I do hope you try GSF on its own merit- not as a tool to earn gold or EXP or honor points or whatever currency or number you hope to get out of it- but instead as a great set of experiences in a cool space sim. Focus on playing ships, watch other players (Drako has a channel, Scrab does, Rondo does, and I think they are all on youtube with them) and read the GSF Guide (also the "Stasiepedia"), http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222 .

Use the guide to help you build and select ships, and hopefully we'll see you for real one day.

Edited by Verain

Well, I can honestly gave this a go and tried to really enjoy this event but, I think this was the first and last time I play this part of the game, as being one shotted by mastered ships and weapons was/is not fun (I found the CC ground cluster of PvP more relaxing).

I think in order to fix the issue of giving "beginning" good or bad players a chance, they need to implement levels based on ship components ( one whole ship upgrade for level with five upgrades being masters level).

Giving people 400% GSF xp still won't fix the "****'" GSF attitude seen in the game either, which I experienced when I asked a question in general and PvP channel, yesterday.

An event like this is not a good place and time to just jump in and try things out as a beginner. Space will be swarming with really scary aces, meaning you'll get shot to pieces before you learn very much about how to dance with your ship.

An event like this is a good place and time to ask "Why does this work that way/at all?" because these aces are among the best in the game.

Thanks for the games, all! And thanks for organizing this, Drako. :D

I definitely had a good time, and it was pretty cool being able to transplant a bit more than a team of people from JC for the event. So thanks to Ryuku, MaximillianPower, Ceylon, Choque, Buggles and the rest of the JC peeps who made it out for the fun. We can however now get back to shooting each other as usual. So see you all out there! :D

I missed hitting "record" for a couple of the games (although to be fair, one of them was absolutely not worth recording), but I've got files for I think 8 of the games we played through the evening. I still need to verify/upload, and set up a page to either view or DL them, so when that's done, I'll post the link in here. Cheers!

Edited by nyghtrunner

Tonev, almost everything is wrong with your post, including where you put it.

This event was a call to all GSF pilots, which means that we would not expect most pilots to show up in naked ships. That's a big part of why there was some time given to spin up your ships. If you are a fresh player, you won't have the skill to compete with the experienced players, and the gear doesn't matter at all (gear matters in a fight with players of similar skill- I cannot impress upon you enough how little a fresh player knows about the game, so just discount gear as a thing for now). That's not to say you shouldn't show up, but show up with a student's mind- watch what the vets are doing, hop in voice, ask questions.

If you don't like losing better players- especially if you think it's about "mastered ships"- you shouldn't attend these events. That you chose to use a time when a great deal of experienced pilots show from across all servers and judge your typical experience by it is absolutely beyond baffling.

Also: You weren't getting "one shot by mastered ships". Anyone who says this doesn't know how to pay attention, read the GUI, or for that matter construct a real time narrative of GSF events as they happen around him at all. One shots are extremely rare, and if you are talking about them as if they are common, you've probably experienced a grand total of zero.

The matchmaker tries to do this, but it doesn't have an unlimited pool to work with. Much more importantly, it would be a tragedy if mastered ships only fought mastered ships- there would be no reward except an inability to get games for mastering ships, and any lower bracket would be filled with a bunch of aces on stock ships, and the threads would be me and others analyzing exactly which components you have to buy to still qualify to get games while being essentially mastered. This idea comes up a lot, and it's a terrible idea- probably the worst idea a new player can have about GSF, because it translates to "Better players kill me, and I don't want to admit it's because they are better. Please devs, stop them from playing the game. No one better than me should be allowed to play."

Who cares? If you need to be heavily bribed on your ground character in order to play GSF- not merely commensurate rewards to the rest of the game, but in excess- then you aren't a pilot, you're a ground guy that feels he has to queue GSF because it's efficient.

Also, you will want to cjoin gsf on Ebon Hawk (pretty sure this is on both factions). The PvP channel is only for the MMO style ground pvp, and general chat on Ebon Hawk is fraught with peril for any topic. But the GSF channel is filled with pilots who will help you, group with you, etc.

Again- this, and other events, are short events on different servers that serve as focal points for the GSF community to show up and have some fun. Some are more serious than others, and it's great that Drako organizes them. If you, as a brand new player, walk into an active and experienced pvp community, you will of course get torn apart by better players. If that doesn't appeal to you, then you should sit these out.

And you should definitely not come into an event thread, asking for changes to a game you know nothing about.

I do hope you try GSF on its own merit- not as a tool to earn gold or EXP or honor points or whatever currency or number you hope to get out of it- but instead as a great set of experiences in a cool space sim. Focus on playing ships, watch other players (Drako has a channel, Scrab does, Rondo does, and I think they are all on youtube with them) and read the GSF Guide (also the "Stasiepedia"), http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222 .

Use the guide to help you build and select ships, and hopefully we'll see you for real one day.

Ah, No wonder I was getting lit up like Christmas, kinda glad to know that it was aces I was fighting since it was so frustrating. Well I appreciate the advice on it and will take heed on this, I'll try to que on non ace days and hopefully fight people my experience range.

First time last weekend I actually tried "seriously" to understand and do something in GSF, I did like the action of it but just couldn't get why I was blown to bits in a eyeblink.

I'll keep reading and join the channel in hopes of getting better so I can get to the "ACE" level. I want to experience all game play with SWTOR but at the same time not get frustrated. I am a ground guy, I do ranked and such, but I want to be a Space guy to (Yin and Yang :D)

You will still find people who blow you up on Ebon Hawk locally, but you won't normally find people from all over chain Qing for hours.

Also, as you fly, notice who seems to be really good, on both teams, and start talking with them. There's a whole lot of depth to GSF and I really hope you give it a bit of time to hook.

The biggest barrier to GSF, in my opinion, is the rather non standard UI and control choices they have made. The controls work fine once you are used to them, and the UI becomes a lot more useful than you initially think. It simply takes some practice to get into the game and become aware of what is going on. If you look at an enemy ship and don't have any clue what he's doing, target him and try to figure it out, see it from his cockpit, etc.

Also, focus on unlocking some of the ships- if you consider this no big deal to spend some cartel coins to convert ship to fleet and unlock, good. If that's a no-go for you, then consider buying some of the generally more popular ships (type 2 scout is the flashfire/sting, type 1 gunship is the quarrel/mangler, type 1 bomber is the Rampart/Razorwire, and type 2 bomber is the Warcarrier/Legion) depending on what you like. Importantly, earlier access to the ships means you'll be learning which ones you like, what their weaknesses are, etc.

The other thing that will definitely be new unless you played a lot of X-Wing and TIE Fighter is power management. Going F1 to blaster, F2 to pre-shield, and F3 to catch your breath or boost more is the first step, and then when you start becoming more used to how you spend the stuff, you'll find you can plan ahead and really get rewarded on that.

Good luck!

Edited by Verain