Account Hacked!

Rockmonix

Hey All,

Just thought I'd remind people to setup their security tokens either the keychain version or via the cell phone app.

My account was hijacked yesterday while I was out of the house. I received an email on my cell advising me that my password had been changed. I rushed home and sure enough, could not log in.

Thankfully though my email had not been changed so I was able to use the password reset function and recover access to my account. I promptly setup the security key app on my cell afterwards.

Earlier today I received the following email claiming to be from EA;

Hi user,

As part of our efforts to help ensure account security, the password for your account was recently reset. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and hope you will recognize we're taking this action to better protect your personal data.

At EA, we care about the safety of your personal information and while we're doing all we can do to keep your data secure, you can help as well; be sure to change your passwords at least a few times a year and consider using a unique password for all your important accounts.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

If you have any questions about your account or experience any difficulties when trying to reset your password, please feel free to contact EA’s Customer Support directly at 1-877-357-6007.

Sincerely,

Electronic Arts - Customer Experience Team

EA/Origin account, registration with enclosed serial code, internet connection and acceptance of end user license agreement required to play and to access online features and/or services. EA online terms and conditions can be found at http://www.ea.com. EA may provide certain incremental content and/or updates for no additional charge, if and when available.

EA may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on http://www.ea.com

The email address it came from was "em.ea.com" and hotmail also advised me that the message looked suspicious to their smartscreen filters. So I just ignored it.

So I guess after I recovered my account the credit farmers wanted it back and this was their attempt. So everyone be on guard and take every precaution possible.

Edited by Zilrota
Token code removed

So let me get this straight, EA hacked your account just to force you to buy the security key?

No, and i think the 2nd email looks legit (check to make sure that when you hover over the link it's not pointing somewhere else. E.g. http://www.ea.com.

Basically what happened was:

acct got hijacked, he reset pw, ea may have sent him an email confirming it was done recently after the 2nd reset as well or it may have been a semi-clever attempt to get someone to re-compromise their account.

But falling for a scam mail doesn't count as hacking if you give your information to them. Which I don't think the OP did.

Yes it is considered hacking it's called social hacking and is very common on the internet. If you don't know this you might want to do some research cause you'll probably be a victim sooner or later.

Thanks for the heads up Rockmonix.

Edited by KnightFireX

Yes it is considered hacking it's called social hacking and is very common on the internet. If you don't know this you might want to do some research cause you'll probably be a victim sooner or later.

Thanks for the heads up Rockmonix.

It's called social engineering, but this kind of mail is a scam.

• 6 years later...

My account got just got hijacked this week ....

Whats the point of having a **** load of security like Complex passwords, secondary contact info, security questions, and a security key ....

When any old ******e can call up support and have them open up your account so they can steal all your **** bypassing security!

Good God EA sucks!

Whats the point of having a **** load of security like Complex passwords, secondary contact info, security questions, and a security key ....

When any old ******e can call up support and have them open up your account so they can steal all your **** bypassing security!

Good God EA sucks!

What is wrong with you, necroing a post from 6 years ago?

holy Necro.. zombies need to be smited.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a tamper proof security system, someone somewhere will figure out a way to break into something considered impossible to break into. If it happens to you, me or anyone else is just the way it is sometimes.

changing your security information on a regular basis would be useful to prevent falling into a pattern of fatalism and it becoming reality, beyond that? it is all you can do.

Good God EA sucks!

If your account got hacked/hijacked, then you gave someone information (knowingly or unknowingly) to allow them to do it. I had my account hacked when I played WoW, after joining a guild and registering on their website. My email was the same one I used for battle.net and when WoW switched to using battle.net for logins, someone with admin rights on the forum/domain was able to get into my account. Luckily I caught it quickly and had what little they did steal returned. But it was my own stupidity, by using the same email information in both places, that allowed them to hack my account.

Since then, I've started using the multiple email accounts so there is no common link between any games, forums or any other websites that I have registered on.