Flagging system

Cordarn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt lol!! I guarantee half these folk aren't even looking at their screens, just pressing buttons while watching The Voice in the background.

The Voice? Pffft, I'm watching cartoons. How am I supposed to pay attention to a video game when Rudolph is being bullied by the other reindeer and not allowed to play in the reindeer games?

No doubt lol!! I guarantee half these folk aren't even looking at their screens, just pressing buttons while watching The Voice in the background.

Tbh, I don't begrudge them their inattention. Dailies are pretty monotonous, and when trying to grind 60k worth of rep in a week long event, I find myself zoning out all the time. That being said, this carebear attitude that they need to be protected from themselves is what drives me crazy. If you get yourself into an unfavorable situation through your own carelessness, own it. Don't come running to the forums to cry about it.

I see a lot of vitriolic rhetoric going around with almost nobody attempting to offer solutions that don't greatly inconvenience other styles of play.

This is the situation as I perceive it:

1) OP is engaged in combat with an NPC. He is unflagged. The monster is near death.

2) OP activates an ability that he predicts will kill the monster. There is a window, due to latency but also due to his settings, of at least 0.5 seconds, but perhaps as much as 1.0 seconds, before the ability actually activates after the GCD is over.

3) In this window, the enemy flagged assassin knowingly and deliberately kills the monster at this time, with the explicit hope that the OP will auto-target him and be flagged for PVP.

Item 3 is, in my opinion distasteful and cowardly. But cowardice is not against the rules, in real life or in SWTOR.

The solution seems pretty simple to me though; one that doesn't require new, uninformed players to change their settings before they can avoid being taken advantage of, and one that doesn't adversely affect the sort of ambush-flagging that people enjoy.

Solution: Auto-target, if enabled, will not target enemy players unless the player is themselves flagged. The system is certainly sophisticated enough to handle this; it already can discriminate between flagged/unflagged players with AOEs (though bugs seem to exist).

Edited by Aussircaex

I see a lot of vitriolic rhetoric going around with almost nobody attempting to offer solutions that don't greatly inconvenience other styles of play.

This is the situation as I perceive it:

1) OP is engaged in combat with an NPC. He is unflagged. The monster is near death.

2) OP activates an ability that he predicts will kill the monster. There is a window, due to latency but also due to his settings, of at least 0.5 seconds, but perhaps as much as 1.0 seconds, before the ability actually activates after the GCD is over.

3) In this window, the enemy flagged assassin knowingly and deliberately kills the monster at this time, with the explicit hope that the OP will auto-target him and be flagged for PVP.

Item 3 is, in my opinion distasteful and cowardly. But cowardice is not against the rules, in real life or in SWTOR.

The solution seems pretty simple to me though; one that doesn't require new, uninformed players to change their settings before they can avoid being taken advantage of, and one that doesn't adversely affect the sort of ambush-flagging that people enjoy.

Solution: Auto-target, if enabled, will not target enemy players unless the player is themselves flagged. The system is certainly sophisticated enough to handle this; it already can discriminate between flagged/unflagged players with AOEs (though bugs seem to exist).

no, don't make stuff up, if you begin a cast and the target dies the cast fails.

OP tab targeted, he admitted it on one of the middle pages.

Edited by Foambreaker

Abso-freaking-lutely it is! Which is why I would NEVER EVER give that player the satisfaction of killing me...EVER! It's 100% imperative of the players to deny these little freaks that enjoyment.

So...ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ATTACKING! Always!!!!

no, don't make stuff up, if you begin a cast and the target dies the cast fails.

OK, so the OP's particular situation does not match what I believed to be the case. However, that means that the OP's particular case is no longer relevant to the discussion. The following 14 pages have regarded the issue of auto-targeting, and I see a solution to an auto-targeting problem. Do you have an answer for that, or do you simply take joy in pouncing on any error other posters make?

OK, so the OP's particular situation does not match what I believed to be the case. However, that means that the OP's particular case is no longer relevant to the discussion. The following 14 pages have regarded the issue of auto-targeting, and I see a solution to an auto-targeting problem. Do you have an answer for that, or do you simply take joy in pouncing on any error other posters make?

Solution, no one has articulated a problem without making stuff up, 5 pages of this thread had to deal with people who were thinking of auto TARGET and auto ATTACK.

Articulate a REAL problem while correctly quoting the current game mechanics.

Also most the first part of the thread is people crying about AOE flagging, which was also a myth.

Actually, the OP said he auto targeted. He was attacking a boss, not going mob to mod. So, ,the above scenario is actually likely.

Also most the first part of the thread is people crying about AOE flagging, which was also a myth.

It's no myth, regardless of how much you want to claim it is.

Personally, I don't really care what a few griefers and their defenders think or say. Griefers and their ilk have no place in this game or any other. If BW actually had someone managing the game, the griefers wouldn't last long and the rest of us could have more fun playing.

Actually, the OP said he auto targeted. He was attacking a boss, not going mob to mod. So, ,the above scenario is actually likely.

Personally, I don't really care what a few griefers and their defenders think or say. Griefers and their ilk have no place in this game or any other. If BW actually had someone managing the game, the griefers wouldn't last long and the rest of us could have more fun playing.

Actually, with a little caution and a lot less stick up rear syndrome, even when griefed, you'd go, "Dang it..." shrug it off, and go back to what you were doing...

Then he came here to weep.

Your using a very wrong adjective I did not come here to "Weep" I came here to see if anyone else agreed with my idea of editing the flagging system so stuff like what happened to me doesn't happen anymore.

BW doesn't have to tell you how it works, you are not special, go in game try it out. If you need BW to tell you that means you really don't even know. So why are you posting when you don't know?

AOE doesn't flag you. Auto TARGET doesn't flag you.

Attacking another player flags you and that is what OP did.

Also, OP admitted to making a mistake, maybe read more before you post.

auto target may not flag you but it certainly instigates it. That doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake on my part but it certainly does play a role in flagging you, And despite what you may think when It auto targeted him it auto attacked him.

Edited by Cordarn

Griefers will always find a way to grief. The key is limiting their effectiveness. Bioware took care of that when they prevented aoes from flagging. If a player is paying attention, they can't be griefed. So pay attention, or live with the consequences.

Why don't you go in game and try?

I did to be sure, I KNOW because I just TESTED it INGAME LAST NIGHT.

Not that I needed to because if blues could AOE flagged PvPers that would allow "blue guards" and there would be a huge uproar in PvP land, 10 1st page threads in general. This is not even an obscure rule, to PvPers...

You are wrong. All you are doing is spreading misinformation.

Your using a very wrong adjective I did not come here to "Weep" I came here to see if anyone else agreed with my idea of editing the flagging system so stuff like what happened to me doesn't happen anymore.

I expect you'll find a vast majority of the players would support changing it. It's just a very small portion of the players who ever even look at the forums, much less post anything.

What I have seen over time is someone posts about a problem. Then people who like to exploit the problem jump in and claim it doesn't exist or someone posts abut hacking and the people who I suspect use the hack themselves jump in and claim no hacking exists. It's been the pattern since launch and I doubt it'll change now.

Your best bet is report the problem player for griefing and open a ticket reporting who auto-targeting caused a problem. That's probably the best thing you can do.

Griefers will always find a way to grief. The key is limiting their effectiveness. Bioware took care of that when they prevented aoes from flagging. If a player is paying attention, they can't be griefed. So pay attention, or live with the consequences.

Got it.

Everyone who is flagged for PvP and gets DIRECTLY attacked by some nub who doesn't understand the rules is a griefer.

Show me on the doll where the bad PvPer touched you...

Tab and auto target are completely two different things. Tab targeting is the player deliberately cycling through targets , auto targeting is a result of the system tab targeting for you. When I used the word tab targeting I ment auto targeting most the time.

Edited by Cordarn

I expect you'll find a vast majority of the players would support changing it. It's just a very small portion of the players who ever even look at the forums, much less post anything.

What I have seen over time is someone posts about a problem. Then people who like to exploit the problem jump in and claim it doesn't exist or someone posts abut hacking and the people who I suspect use the hack themselves jump in and claim no hacking exists. It's been the pattern since launch and I doubt it'll change now.

Your best bet is report the problem player for griefing and open a ticket reporting who auto-targeting caused a problem. That's probably the best thing you can do.

I'm still waiting for you too articulate the problem without misrepresenting the current game mechanics.

Ummm... they didn't totally fix the AOE flagging. It's just not a 100% of the time thing anymore. It still happens.

And people on a PVE server should NEVER have to worry about getting flagged if they don't want to be, period. Those of you who want to PVP at the drop of a hat have servers just for that. Go play on them when you want to play that way. That's what they're there for.

In the mean time, stop defending griefing unless you like to be lumped in with the griefers.

I'm still waiting for you too articulate the problem without misrepresenting the current game mechanics.

I haven't misrepresented game mechanics at any point. I can't help it if you want to be able to grief and I don't want to see people griefed. It's an easy fix for BW, so I will continue to advocate for the change until they change it or the game folds up.

The irony here is that there is no evidence of griefing. For all we know, that stealthly was simply trying to help him kill the NPC. Perhaps op didn't notice the other player until after the NPC was dead, and that was where auto-target failed him. Heck, the gut that killed op might be telling his buddies about the mob he helped some guy kill, and then was shocked as all heck when the guy he just finished helping went ahead and attacked him!

Point is, throwing around talk like griefing and hacks is senseless unless you were actually there. In all my days of swtor PvP, (and there are a LOT) I have never personally witnessed an instance of hacking. I've seen a couple videos where speed hacks were obvious, but every single time I thought something was a hack, it turned out to be an ability or skill I didn't fully understand. Ignorance is the culprit in most instances of accusations of hacking, and this applies to griefing as well.

Ummm... they didn't totally fix the AOE flagging. It's just not a 100% of the time thing anymore. It still happens.

And people on a PVE server should NEVER have to worry about getting flagged if they don't want to be, period. Those of you who want to PVP at the drop of a hat have servers just for that. Go play on them when you want to play that way. That's what they're there for.

In the mean time, stop defending griefing unless you like to be lumped in with the griefers.

PVE servers mean optional flagging. But yes, attacking someone who has enabled their flag is an option.

The AoE glitches are so few and far between and I would wager that in the times it doesn't "work as intended" the player using the aoe targeted the flagged player (even for only a second). In which case, again... the key is to be careful what you target.

No, I don't deliberately try to flag people. Never have, never will. Try to lump me in with griefers all you want though...

Prove it, or it didn't happen. I haven't seen it since bioware made the change, and the burden of proof is on you.

Keep whining about people defending griefers. But no one is. What I'm defending is a properly functioning mechanic that rewards those who choose to learn it.