Damage Dropping In 3.0

KTap

And there's the rub; in the interest of the long term health of the game, keeping old content relevant is a viable avenue for the devs. That doesn't mean its not lazy, or that players shouldn't be disappointed or even angered.

Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if only a few are farming nightmare, you can see the DPS bloat with stuff like Hardmode S&V, seriously DPS check simply do not exist, because pulling the required DPS at gear level is trivial. That not how its supposed to work.

Hardmode s&v was designed to be done in 162's. Its not even relevant anymore. Bringing that up has zero bearing on this conversation.

When asked to justify the claim that the number of guilds clearing NiM content is so small as to be "irrelevant:"

Ah I see: you actually have no clue at all on how many guilds are clearing NiM content in SWTOR.

Instead, you make a vague and unsupported claim about other MMOs, then assume it applies to SWTOR, which implicitly assumes that SWTOR is no more or no less out of balance, regarding player DPS, than those other MMOs.

AHH I see. That number you claim is clearing and farming NM content is no where to be found.

But at least I based my number on some resemblance of an educated guess, unlike you.

Sorry, but that's not even close to a valid argument. I'd rather trust BioWare's conclusion on this issue that yours: they have the numbers, and they have a greater interest in the long term health of the game: it's their jobs.

Right, they have the numbers and those numbers are so good. Would that be the numbers they based DPS off of in the first place? The metrics they used to balance the game and balance the game in DF/DP where they now claim numbers are higher than they "predicted"

Sounds like BW's numbers are no better than anyone elses and to be honest, if you met those guys at a cantina tour, you would see their just gamers like anyone else and just as fallible. They get no extra leeway in design because it's their day job and especially so when their metrics are exactly what seemsto have brought on the so called "DPS problem".

As anyone who has run with me can tell you, all the gear and DPS in the world won't provide me with the skills needed to farm NiM DP. I am just not there yet, and if I keep playing as many different classes as I do as often as I do, I may never be there. Jack of all classes, master of none may be my destiny. Which is fine with me.

I play SWTOR to have fun. I don't need to be great at it, much less one of the best. Just good will do fine.

YMMV.

And why do you participate in a discussion about NiM content then, when you actually don't care about said content nor have the experience to talk about it? :rak_02:

Just curious...

Edited by Sindariel

Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid.

So now you're a dev, and know what is best for the game I see. Careful, you're doing exactly what you accused me of. And as you yourself admitted, you don't do the content. So don't tell me I'm stupid for being upset that its being recycled.

AHH I see. That number you claim is clearing and farming NM content is no where to be found.

But at least I based my number on some resemblance of an educated guess, unlike you..

Nonsense. First, I have not put forth a number of guilds clearing NiM. I am in one that does, and I know of several others, but across all the servers, I have no clue how many or what percentage.

As to your "educated guess," I don't see you providing any data that qualifies your "guess" as being "educated."

Pulled out of your ... hat ... to justify your self-serving conclusions seems more probable IMO.

So now you're a dev, and know what is best for the game I see. Careful, you're doing exactly what you accused me of.

What part of "Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid. " would make anyone think I am a developer?

I suspect that either English or logic is not your first language.

Horsecrap.

One, don't tell him how to feel. You're happy getting nerfed and replaying old content? More power to ya. I disagree.

Having said that, in 15 years of playing these stupid things, I cannot remember, EVER, when after an expansion, OLD content was MORE difficult.

What part of "Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid. " would make anyone think I am a developer?

I suspect that either English or logic is not your first language.

Since you have first hand knowledge of why a decision was made, I have no recourse but to assume you were part of making said decision.

Since you can't even seem to remember what you've said even when quoting it, I'd suggest you're the one with the logic/language problem. Keep digging, though. That hole you've got yourself into is quite formidable.

Since you have first hand knowledge of why a decision was made, I have no recourse but to assume you were part of making said decision.

Since you can't even seem to remember what you've said even when quoting it, I'd suggest you're the one with the logic/language problem. Keep digging, though. That hole you've got yourself into is quite formidable.

What "said decision" do you think "Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid." is referring to? Seems like a general statement to me.

You said (factoring out the wishy-washy double-negative) players should get angry at a decision made for the long-term health of the game:

in the interest of the long term health of the game, keeping old content relevant is a viable avenue for the devs. That doesn't mean ... that players shouldn't be ... angered.

I said getting angry at such decisions seems pretty stupid. You don't have to be a dev to think that. Heck, I could disagree with the 3.0 damage nerf and still think getting angry about it is stupid.

So it is your own words you are conveniently forgetting. And I have faith that other readers of the thread will see that too. After all, I write mainly to reach them, not you. Otherwise I'd use a PM.

" Now clearing CZ dailies takes 10 minutes instead of 5-7 minutes. Ragequit."

I'm beginning to think that some people are unable to respond to anything other than strawmen of their own creation.

This is getting old now. By "old" I mean knee-to-the-arrow-old.

I can already see the amount of facepalm when you people realize that when they say "reduce dps" they mean "reduce relative dps".

It's the relative reduction that matters. Absolute numbers don't matter, the numbers as they all relate to each other are what matters.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Then keep your comments to the thread title.

You haven't.

Don't participate in a discussion ...

I can understand you may find my posts a bit inconvenient for your position,

but No.

To paraphrase the late great John Whorfin: "It's not your damn forum, monkey-boy."

What "said decision" do you think "Getting angry because the devs did something necessary for the long-term health of the game seems pretty stupid." is referring to? Seems like a general statement to me.

You said (factoring out the wishy-washy double-negative) players should get angry at a decision made for the long-term health of the game:

I said getting angry at such decisions seems pretty stupid. You don't have to be a dev to think that. Heck, I could disagree with the 3.0 damage nerf and still think getting angry about it is stupid.

So it is your own words you are conveniently forgetting. And I have faith that other readers of the thread will see that too. After all, I write mainly to reach them, not you. Otherwise I'd use a PM.

You specifically said that the decision was made for the health of the game. That is strictly your opinion. My opinion is that the decision was made for other reasons, specifically to keep old content relevant. Neither of us have any real evidence to support our theories, yet you are posturing as if you do. Based on your own admissions that you don't do the content in question, I'm pretty sure everyone reading the thread can see you have no idea what you're talking about.

You specifically said that the decision was made for the health of the game.

No, I did not. Go re-read whatever it is you think I wrote that claimed that. Is it this?

I'd rather trust BioWare's conclusion on this issue that yours: they have the numbers, and they have a greater interest in the long term health of the game: it's their jobs.

If so you need to re-parse it, because it doesn't say anything about the reasons for any particular decision, only about who I trust to make decisions about SWTOR and why.

You haven't.

I can understand you may find my posts a bit inconvenient for your position,

but No.

To paraphrase the late great John Whorfin: "It's not your damn forum, monkey-boy."

Oh, I see. Its fine for you to tell me my opinions regarding things you know nothing about are wrong, but I'm not allowed to tell you you're wrong to speak about matters you're completely ignorant of. Got it.

You may not have noticed, but "NiM content" is not in the title of this thread.

This whole discussion is about NiM content. No one cares about SM, HM, daily planets or story quests. People are simply overgeared and above the requirements for that content.

Facerolling through content because people are completely overgeared is an entirely different topic than facerolling through content at the required gear level. And the latter is simply not the case for the majority of the playerbase, currently.

Edited by Sindariel

No, I did not. Go re-read whatever it is you think I wrote that claimed that. Is it this?

If so you need to re-parse it, because it doesn't say anything about the reasons for any particular decision, only about who I trust to make decisions about SWTOR and why.

What exactly did you say here?

You have NO IDEA why they've made this decision, yet your presume to state it was done for the health of the game. This was only a few minutes ago. Have you forgotten already?

You have NO IDEA why they've made this decision, yet your presume to state it was done for the health of the game. This was only a few minutes ago. Have you forgotten already?

To be fair, no matter what they do, one would hope it was done for the long term health of the game...

To be fair, no matter what they do, one would hope it was done for the long term health of the game...

Health of the game can be pretty vague. Recycling year old content to slow player progression achieves that goal. Doesn't mean its a good solution.

Health of the game can be pretty vague. Recycling year old content to slow player progression achieves that goal. Doesn't mean its a good solution.
how are they slowing progression?

nim df/dp will drop 186 gear in post-3.0. you dont need to do it unless you want to see old, pointless content.

Exactly what I said, no more and no less. I suggest you stop trying to make it seem to mean anything other than what it plainly means; I believe the audience will find that such attempts are not credible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.