How are you doing vs close combat ?

BobaFurz

Hey guys,

how is the BH Mercenary doing in pvp vs close combat classes inclusive stealth classes ?

Are there good abilities to shake them off or is this crucial for a BH if suddenly a melee class gets in your face ?

Thx

Later on you can take a skill in the arsenal tree that adds a knockback to rocket punch. Add a Jet Boost and a stun dart to it and you make it pretty darn hard to keep close distance to you. And if you're going all the way up into the arsenal tree, than you're shortening Jet Boost's cooldown and you're adding snare effect to Unload power.

Ok but how are you doing in pvp in practice, if a sentinel, shadow or smuggler pops up in your face ? Are you doing well or is this class struggling versus competent players ?

As Arsenal i'm struggling quite a bit vs melee in 1v1 situations. They seem to have more gap closers than I have gap openers. But once a melee is in your face and all for knockback/stuns are on CD, its game. Since majority of Arsenal abilities require a cast time, melee can just run circles around you.

I donno, I find that I can just take the beating and out dps them down without trying to snare/stun and get range again. I just take the pounding and pour all I got into them.

I think the game is new enough that we still don't know all the strengths/weaknesses of the classes we come up against (I know I sure don't know what all the classes can do yet). At the moment I'm able to beat a lot of people/classes just because I know my rotations well.

Most of the PVP I am doing at the moment involves getting rolled by a full group of 4 republic out in the wild, it is seriously akin to WoW how much the alliance rolls in packs, and only attack when they have numbers.

As Arsenal i'm struggling quite a bit vs melee in 1v1 situations. They seem to have more gap closers than I have gap openers. But once a melee is in your face and all for knockback/stuns are on CD, its game. Since majority of Arsenal abilities require a cast time, melee can just run circles around you.

Circle strafeing doesnt really work in this game for melee like some other games. You don't need LoS on your target to hit it with an ability. If your casting Unload, and the melee character runs through your body to get to your back and avoid it... your animation will continue to fire forward into nothing, but still hit your target.

Melee doesn't have the edge of LOS/location in this game.

Most abilities will auto track if they are even close to your LOS. I've had Unload track a player circling me.

However, I have had loss of sight and channel interrupts by run throughs.

REALLY depends on the skill of the melee also, i.e. how consistent can they keep up their damage while moving through you.

I trash poor melee and get trashed by good melee.

And tracer autofaces while casting. Someone can circle all day and they'll still get hit for 2k+ a pop. I think some are used to having to turn manually in other games and if you do, you'll lose your focus and be unable to cast forcing you to turn. Just keep casting and you'll be ok. mix in a rocket punch or jet boost if you need space. The only class that gives me a headache is scoundrel/operatives. The rest are no different to me.

*EDIT*

Make sure you have your queue setup to 0.5 or greater. The autoqueue allows the autofacing since it casts the next automatically as long as you're tapping the button. If you turn down the timer, you'll have to reposition and I can see a lot having issues with melee then.

Edited by Dvius

And tracer autofaces while casting. Someone can circle all day and they'll still get hit for 2k+ a pop. I think some are used to having to turn manually in other games and if you do, you'll lose your focus and be unable to cast forcing you to turn. Just keep casting and you'll be ok. mix in a rocket punch or jet boost if you need space. The only class that gives me a headache is scoundrel/operatives. The rest are no different to me.

*EDIT*

Make sure you have your queue setup to 0.5 or greater. The autoqueue allows the autofacing since it casts the next automatically as long as you're tapping the button. If you turn down the timer, you'll have to reposition and I can see a lot having issues with melee then.

I appreciate the advice, but I didn't literally mean "run circles around you". It was a figure of speech. Didn't mean to confuse anyone here...

I'm not pwning in melee range - hybrid spec arsenal / bodyguard. But I'm also not unhappy -- most compact melee is in hutball. The Jetpack AOE Knockback is nice. Stun and Flame also works nicely for me (and in PVE also). The thing I like about the BH is the versatility in any situation I have a satisfactory range of choices. A PT would have been interesting for the CQC.

Sith Inquisitor and Consular ~_~ their stuns are annoying! I use my skill to let me out but its just constant so gotta work on that. But other than that Knights and Warriors lick my blaster :p

The knock backs and the jet punch are amazing specially when you spec into the punch pushing em away. And with a lot of your skills (minus tracer missile ;-; ) you can pretty much run circles around these guys until you stun them.

Easy cake with Melee <3

Also if anyone has any hints to fighting the Inquisitor Assassin and the Consular Shadow please post it! Seems a lot of people are going these classes >_<

Depends on spec but I am playing full DPS spec. I compare myself to a wizard or more of a casting class in other games. We wear heavy armor but that can be misleading. You def want to try to keep your distance. In 1 vs 1, I typically will use the punch to knockback opponent then concussion missile to stun them and put max distance between myself and them. Then use electro dart to stun. Fusion missile, explosive dart, tracer missle x 2, rail gun, heatseeker missile, unload. If they are still alive Ill go back to tracer missile and keep using knockbacks to keep my distance. I was getting destroyed 1vs in between lvl 35-40 but after 40 I seem to be holding my ground.