How does my Flashfire look?

Loadsamunny

Using Pods, not Clusters

Sorry, missed that. Yes, plasma is fine then. Both options are mediocre, I also use plasma. I think for quads both shields and hull have merit.

So Quads: Crit, Shields.

Pods: Ammo, Plasma.

Yes, is solid.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go range on the pods just for the extra accuracy. This is a burst build, using DoTs isn't that useful.

That's fine too, but neither of those talents is amazing. If the dot stacked it would be in favor of plasma, but often the dot ticks a couple times and that's it. Instead of the listed 15%, it is often less than 5%.

Meanwhile, the range on pods is already more than reasonable so what the range talent actually buys you is extra accuracy. How much accuracy? Not much- you'll normally be getting between 1 and half a percent of accuracy at typical ranges. At near max range, 6000m ish, you'll get 1.8% accuracy out of the talent. If it was 2% at all ranges it would still be a bad talent. That's very poor, especially given that pods are normally used with actives that offer large accuracy boosts.

I consider both talents rounding errors and very underpowered, and CERTAINLY not worth "correcting" someone over. There are talents that make a big difference, this one is mostly for flavor and completion. It's probably the weakest talent tier in the game, and very definitely within the two worst 15k req talents.

Don't use Qyzen Fess with quads and pods, use Kira Carsen. I'm pretty sure I've already explained in this thread why Spare Ammo is better than Improved Kill Zone with with a quads and pods build.

Extra range can mean an extra shot, and will make a difference way more often than lolnonstackingDoT. This is before we even begin listing all the ways DoT in general and this one in particular will let you down in GSF.

I'd use range capacitator to get my quads closer to my pods in range, but that's debatable.

Edited by MiaowZedong

Don't use Qyzen Fess with quads and pods, use Kira Carsen. I'm pretty sure I've already explained in this thread why Spare Ammo is better than Improved Kill Zone with with a quads and pods build.

Extra range can mean an extra shot, and will make a difference way more often than lolnonstackingDoT. This is before we even begin listing all the ways DoT in general and this one in particular will let you down in GSF.

I'd use range capacitator to get my quads closer to my pods in range, but that's debatable.

I had already talked about Kira the big reason he didn't want to use it her is because he wanted conentrated fire, which is probably the only reason you would never use Kira in a pods build.

I like both upgrades for Pods I got back and forth a lot on which to use, I find myself leaning more towards range over just for the extra accuracy.

Interesting that you support range capacitor for quads, I myself with this build prefer Damage, as Frequency is too much weapon power drain. It's very much a surprise your opponent build and if he start evading move on to another target, so I prefer that little bit more damage from my lasers. With ranged capacitor I find its usefulness is more about moving you close to those 500m stats then it is adding extra maximum range (although that's useful too) Boosting an extra 500m before you unload everything seems pretty easy.

I had already talked about Kira the big reason he didn't want to use it her is because he wanted conentrated fire, which is probably the only reason you would never use Kira in a pods build.

I like both upgrades for Pods I got back and forth a lot on which to use, I find myself leaning more towards range over just for the extra accuracy.

Interesting that you support range capacitor for quads, I myself with this build prefer Damage, as Frequency is too much weapon power drain. It's very much a surprise your opponent build and if he start evading move on to another target, so I prefer that little bit more damage from my lasers. With ranged capacitor I find its usefulness is more about moving you close to those 500m stats then it is adding extra maximum range (although that's useful too) Boosting an extra 500m before you unload everything seems pretty easy.

Personally I prefer Range because I feel it helps more when the target is running away (for instance because I didn't get any crits on the initial burst so he had longer to respond) or just moving alot. Also, when in a pods and evasion scout, I get lazy and "crutch" on my ship by jousting less experienced players (and sometimes experienced but overconfident strike pilots), and Range Capacitator helps alot there, especially when using Retros.

I also tend to fire at the outer edges of my range quite a bit, and as you know Range Capacitator tends to gives its biggest benefits at long range. Compared to getting up close, this tends to afford more time on target with less tracking penalties, so I'm comfortable playing like this despite not getting maximum damage out of my quads (or laser cannon in the case of the related T1 build).

You're right that Damage is generally more helpful when getting the drop on someone, especially a gunship, though.

The thing for me is that quads and pods is a medium range build, BLC seems more appropriate for getting close and blowing them away, so that leads me to fly pods builds in a way that makes sheer range and effectiveness at range valuable.

Okay, I switched my Offensive back to Kira Carsen. Feel like I wasted 1250 fleet req on Qyzen Fess if I'm not going to be using BLCs.

I'm on my QLC last upgrade, can't decide between Hull or Shields. Both seem reasonable, but I have problems with both against different ships. Bombers seem to laugh at my hull damage, while Gunships with Fortress Shield seem to laugh at my shield damage.

What do you guys recommend, hull or shields for Quads?

Personally I prefer Range because I feel it helps more when the target is running away (for instance because I didn't get any crits on the initial burst so he had longer to respond) or just moving alot. Also, when in a pods and evasion scout, I get lazy and "crutch" on my ship by jousting less experienced players (and sometimes experienced but overconfident strike pilots), and Range Capacitator helps alot there, especially when using Retros.

I also tend to fire at the outer edges of my range quite a bit, and as you know Range Capacitator tends to gives its biggest benefits at long range. Compared to getting up close, this tends to afford more time on target with less tracking penalties, so I'm comfortable playing like this despite not getting maximum damage out of my quads (or laser cannon in the case of the related T1 build).

You're right that Damage is generally more helpful when getting the drop on someone, especially a gunship, though.

The thing for me is that quads and pods is a medium range build, BLC seems more appropriate for getting close and blowing them away, so that leads me to fly pods builds in a way that makes sheer range and effectiveness at range valuable.

Yep this all sounds very reasonable, especially with the playstyle differences you described.

Okay, I switched my Offensive back to Kira Carsen. Feel like I wasted 1250 fleet req on Qyzen Fess if I'm not going to be using BLCs.

I'm on my QLC last upgrade, can't decide between Hull or Shields. Both seem reasonable, but I have problems with both against different ships. Bombers seem to laugh at my hull damage, while Gunships with Fortress Shield seem to laugh at my shield damage.

What do you guys recommend, hull or shields for Quads?

I prefer shield damage on Quads as most ships have more shields then hull, and a quads and pods build its not like you play on killing them with shield penetration or anything. You are going to have to strip their shields to kill them, also since shields damage is 2% higher might as well go with what will make you do more damage. :)