Why are purple lightsaber crystals so rare?

Nieyko

Stating this over and over shows ignorance since there are tons of low level NPCs everywhere with this supposedly 'rare' crystal and the movies aren't an example of rarity since they take place 3000 years in the future.

There is no previous basis for this rarity, there is no previous basis for color restrictions. Stop stating this as if it was fact.

I have to agree with the others... Your dead wrong.

In multiple games, a couple comics, and other expanded universe thingy-mabobs its been stated that purple lightsaber crystals are rare. but your right about the ridiculous amount of npcs in the game with purple sabres

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well one reason i can think of is look how many purple light sabers there are in the movies. One, and thats Mace Windu's. and he was a Jedi Master so later on in the game there will be some maybe.

Movies and adhering to what we saw in them? Totally irrelevant.

If it wasn't, then since we saw five-year-olds training with actual lightsabres in AotC, our characters would start out with actual lightsabres in-game, and not with "training blades." Not to mention other examples of this kind of thing in-game.

Also, if the game was adhering to the movies, at some point every single Sith would have to give a horrible, wooden performance of an emotionally stunted, intensely stupid, angsty pre-teen before they became a Darth. LOL

Played a warzone tonight where 4 of the Empires players had purple lightsabers.

the problem is, the purple lightsabers are bought with PVP/raid tokens(i believe), they're only in the ONE HANDED SABERS and i believe are locked in.

Which means, sith inquisitors are stuck with red or yellow.

• 4 weeks later...

I think having some crystals rarer than others makes sense. I do agree that the cyan crystals are not distinguishable from the blue but then just go earn a white if you want something different. Here's a guide for how to get a magenta crystal and also where you can get the white.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/advanced-magenta-crystal/1123/

On further researching, best of luck finding the white. It is a drop item but there seem to be other prereqs to having it dropped just like the prereqs for the magenta crystal.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/30/star-wars-the-old-republic-players-hunt-for-rumoured-white-lightsaber-crystal/

the problem is, the purple lightsabers are bought with PVP/raid tokens(i believe), they're only in the ONE HANDED SABERS and i believe are locked in.

The PvP commendation is for main hand weapon, and you can use it get a purple dual blade saber.

I'm using one right now.

T2 PvE sabers are also purple.

Edited by Workerdrone

really dont understand why they thought this would be a good idea. take away those stupid black center lightsabers and make purple crystals on par with the rest of them...

THIS!

REMOVE THE YELLOW/BLACK SABERS AND MAKE PURPLE CRYSTALS COMMON!

Please Bioware

THIS!

REMOVE THE YELLOW/BLACK SABERS AND MAKE PURPLE CRYSTALS COMMON!

Please Bioware

Or, more appropriately, allow us to make two-color color crystals in a wide variety of combinations - or allow us to use two color crystals, one "outer" and one "inner", so we can get the type of effects we'd like to see in weapons.

Geeze.

There are saberstaffs that are purple.

You can get them from PvP rewards, or from end game HM/OPS content (I can't remember which one honestly).

You are correct that the PvP sabers are just stat sticks, and they have not mod slots... Ie... cannot remove anything or upgrade the PvP weapons.

Not sure on the PvE weapons... have not had one in my grubby little hands yet.

Only Imperials can get purple lightsaber crystals from champion PvP and Columi PvE gear.

Only Republic can get cyan lightsaber crystals in the same way. (Can be removed from Columi but not Champion for about 25,000 credits).

Battlemaster PvP and Rakata PvE sabers have black-blue or black-red depending on faction. (can be removed from Rakata but not Battlemaster unsure of how much, probably around 35,000-50,000 credits). (These tier of sabers are bugged and give low stats compared to other gear, despite being the highest tier items in game)

Columi, Rakata, Champion, Battlemaster all have better stats when it comes to the crystal than any Magenta crystal in the game, giving +41 and +44 (I believe) whereas Magenta gives +33. (I believe)

White isn't in game currently, the only one to have been in game was confirmed to be hacked.

Rumour says republic and imperial can get both purple and cyan from the end game Ops, there has been no confirmation and I have personally never seen one drop after quite a few Ops.

You can also get a black-green crystal for purchasing the SWTOR Razer headset &/OR keyboard

Edited by Monkfishysnow

I am on imperial side, now the purple is rare to see. Funny thing is, I would say that red is the second most rarest one to see. I see lot and lots of oranges and yellows, followed by Blues and Greens. Red? not so much.

I'm a republic player and in the 50 bracket of PvP and on ilum all you see are purple sabers, it's the most common one as almost everyone who plays in the 50 bracket has a champion level PvP saber.

Then again on our server during the v1.1 update republics got massacred on ilum and a LOT of imperials got over 200k valor so you see quite a lot of black-red Battlemaster sabers too.

As for red being quite uncommon for you I guess it's down to people not wanting the generic old red saber so they opt for something they believe is 'different' and 'interesting' instead choosing to go with a green or orange and yellow saber. I did the same, getting rid of my green one I got on my starting planet for an orange one.

Edited by Monkfishysnow

There are sabers which drop off of BOSSES that have the purple crystal. So there are places to get them outside of PvP or trying to down a world boss for the patterns.

I just have to ask - why is it that the game can't have stuff that's a little more difficult or hard to get? Why does EVERYTHING have to be super easy or just easy? Why can't the game have some challenge to acquire things?

Not true, someone in my guild is an inquisitor with a double bladed purple saber from PVP.

There are sabers which drop off of BOSSES that have the purple crystal. So there are places to get them outside of PvP or trying to down a world boss for the patterns.

I just have to ask - why is it that the game can't have stuff that's a little more difficult or hard to get? Why does EVERYTHING have to be super easy or just easy? Why can't the game have some challenge to acquire things?

I agree with what you are saying. But with the color crystal, they should have really made the colors be something that is just a preference. They should have just created a vendor that had all the colors and let the player choose the color that they feel best fits their character. Take the stats out of the color, put those stats on one of the other mods, and have the color be statless. George Lucas himself said that color was just a preference, and Bioware should have kept it that way.

I agree with what you are saying. But with the color crystal, they should have really made the colors be something that is just a preference. They should have just created a vendor that had all the colors and let the player choose the color that they feel best fits their character. Take the stats out of the color, put those stats on one of the other mods, and have the color be statless. George Lucas himself said that color was just a preference, and Bioware should have kept it that way.

Again we're going back to easy mode.

However, if you did this than how does that play into Artifice and farming crystals to put into sabers that you build? How can you strip a RED crystal that offers +uberstat of it's RED color and make it a blue color?

I would actually argue that purple is far too common at 50, It and yellow are the only widely available (56) level crystals. So as much as I'd like to go back to red, orange, or even put the effort in for the magenta, I really can't justify the loss of stats.

Interesting. Can you get a purple lightsaber as a Sith?

Yes. Champions pvp gear lightsabres are purple, as are columi level gear, with columi gear you can actually take the crystal out, whereas champions gear the weapons aren't moddable, they just are. The rakata gear is colour-black (like a black core), and the tionese is just colour.

and honestly, for a first tier, I don't really have a problem with it. They need something to make gear visually interesting or distinct. Normal mode anything is easy enough, especially with 8 player groups, that you can get SOA dead in under an hour from start to finish in EV.

I think by future tiers I'd like to see purple more readily available, but it's not all that hard to get now. They still have a lot of colours they can iterate around on for future too.

can someone even say how you get a purple crystal?

It's not that rare lol.. try google it and you can find vid's on youtube showing how easy they are to get.

To OP, it really seems odd, when you read on the CODEX, they typed in, that those colors are not Rare and yet, they are in the game for players.. Not for NPC...

Rumor has it that George Lucas didn't want to have any purple lightsabers in the movies, but Samuel Jackson nagged to get one, and finaly Lucas gave in. So in the movies Mace Windu is the only one who got a purple lightsaber. That's probably why they are so rare in the SW universe.

Yes. Champions pvp gear lightsabres are purple, as are columi level gear, with columi gear you can actually take the crystal out, whereas champions gear the weapons aren't moddable, they just are. The rakata gear is colour-black (like a black core), and the tionese is just colour.

and honestly, for a first tier, I don't really have a problem with it. They need something to make gear visually interesting or distinct. Normal mode anything is easy enough, especially with 8 player groups, that you can get SOA dead in under an hour from start to finish in EV.

I think by future tiers I'd like to see purple more readily available, but it's not all that hard to get now. They still have a lot of colours they can iterate around on for future too.

/thread.

Op, leave it as it is and if you are lvl 18 on taris then stop whining on the forums and get back to leveling. With the recent champ bag changes you'll get your pretty cyan saber soon enough.