The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Returning player seeks Easy Class

CLASSlFlED

Hey everyone, I'm a returning player to the game, looking for a class that can fulfill certain niches.

I'm very heavily a solo player, and i don't mind what role i play, my main intention is to solo as much content as possible (even high level dungeons if possible) raiding is something i'd like to do, but not something i'm going to invest a lot of time into, maybe just watch the occasional guide and pop into a raid.

PvP is something i like to indulge in sometimes so i don't want to feel completely useless here.

I don't mind what role i fulfil, so long as the class I'm playing is able to accomplish what i'm after.

I know this doesn't make any different as classes on either side are carbon copies of each other, but i'll be playing republic, going light side no matter what class i choose, because I'm too much of a goody.

I look forward to reading the replies!

Hey everyone, I'm a returning player to the game, looking for a class that can fulfill certain niches.

I'm very heavily a solo player, and i don't mind what role i play, my main intention is to solo as much content as possible (even high level dungeons if possible) raiding is something i'd like to do, but not something i'm going to invest a lot of time into, maybe just watch the occasional guide and pop into a raid.

PvP is something i like to indulge in sometimes so i don't want to feel completely useless here.

Welcome back. I too look forward to the replies, as people have different perspectives and it will be interesting to read. Here's what I suggest based on my experience- for both I suggest DPS spec:

Sage: Balance tree, which is a DoT (damage over time) spec does very good damage and I personally find it easier than Telekinetics. It also has a couple good AoE attacks. It's easy to do lots of damage with it in PvP if you can get a lot of people with your DoTs and AoE. Because the DPS Sage has some healing capabilities, it can be helpful when soloing things.

Shadow: Balance or Infiltration (have only played tank and Infil myself on Shadow, Infiltration was very fun) are good for soloing because if things start to go badly, or you want to skip things, stealth is very very handy. You can use it to skip past trash you don't want to kill or stealth out of combat if it looks like you're going to lose, so you don't have to repair and wait to revive (or travel back). In PvP, Shadows make excellent node guards because of their stealth, and are good at killing the enemy too. Infiltration is especially at finishing off people with lowered health already very quickly (bursty).

If you want to do Ops as well, DPS are always needed, but there are also a lot of DPS around. If you can be bothered you might want to try out the Tank/ Heal trees in those classes, but you'll need the gear as well.

I hope my post is somewhat helpful.

Guys guys guys ..... why are we forgetting the 3 button mando's? :rak_04:

Without kidding ... imho gunnery commando is the easiest class to play with decent damage. Added benefit is their capability to respec to healer which is a very small step up (or down) from dps'ing.

Shadow balance is very easy to play too if you don't mind to use a suboptimal rotation with refreshing your dots a few seconds before they expire. Tanking on shadow is something I wouldn't suggest to do as easy thing.

EDIT: oeh funny note:

Once had a commando from a very special guild who tried to kill my sniper with a 3 button rotation. Explosive round till ammotabbed --> hammershot --> concussive round (which he broke again with his next round of explosive rounds) :p I still killed him regardless that I forgot to equip a mainhand (you know red = dead mentality). Punching and jabbing was fun :)

Edited by fire-breath

IMO, a tank with healing companion is the best for soloing. As long as you're decently geared, you can take on a lot, it just might take little a bit longer to win the fights.

Some say being a healer with a tank comp is better, but I've always found companion healers to be much better at healing than companion tanks are at mitigating damage and managing aggro.

As far as tanks go, I think that Vanguard/Powertech are the simplest and most forgiving to play. Shadows/Assasins have a bit more DPS and stealth, but IMO they are trickier to learn and play well.

IMO, a tank with healing companion is the best for soloing.

I'm going to disagree here. My favorite combination has been as a DPS with a healing companion.

A lot of people recommend the DPS/DPS combination because things just die, but having done that a bit on one toon, it got a little scary at certain points (near death experiences) and IMO a lot of "down time" having to heal up between fights.

With the DPS/Heal combo, things may take a little longer to go down, but there's usually no pause needed before running off to the next one.

Some say being a healer with a tank comp is better, but I've always found companion healers to be much better at healing than companion tanks are at mitigating damage and managing aggro.

^^^ This, though, I agree with completely. Tank companions seems to lose efficacy at higher levels, while Healers just get stronger.

----

And to go back to the OP: one of the classes I see most frequently doing solo or small group endgame content with where it's not intended are Sentinels/Marauders. They're a little trickier to play than the 3-button Commando/Merc mentioned above, but they have a lot of tools in the box that makes them suited for it.

Edited by AlixMV

I really enjoyed the Sniper/Gunslinger class.

It's not exactly a SOLO class but I also enjoy Scoundrel DPS Scrapper. You can just stealth past the mobs as you go through SM and since you get a 12x Exp gain you don't have worry about killing mobs for exp. If you are a returning player with a couple LVL 50-55's and you have your legacy abilities (orbital-strike, sticky gernade, force-choke) then you can pretty much destroy any lowbie boss no problem.

I really enjoyed the Sniper/Gunslinger class.

It's not exactly a SOLO class but I also enjoy Scoundrel DPS Scrapper. You can just stealth past the mobs as you go through SM and since you get a 12x Exp gain you don't have worry about killing mobs for exp. If you are a returning player with a couple LVL 50-55's and you have your legacy abilities (orbital-strike, sticky gernade, force-choke) then you can pretty much destroy any lowbie boss no problem.

Side note: this is a pretty good class for PVP as well. Go stealth find one of your group member fighting someone, get behind enemy in stealth and BAM!!! before he even realizes what happen half his life will be gone and he will be like "*** just happened" and then you can reply "I just happen mother-****er".

I'm going to disagree here. My favorite combination has been as a DPS with a healing companion.

A lot of people recommend the DPS/DPS combination because things just die, but having done that a bit on one toon, it got a little scary at certain points (near death experiences) and IMO a lot of "down time" having to heal up between fights.

With the DPS/Heal combo, things may take a little longer to go down, but there's usually no pause needed before running off to the next one.

My recommendation of going Tank/Healer is that the combo is more survivable if you want to try to solo heroics, FPs, and other situations where there will be a lot of incoming damage. If you're not interested in soloing group content, then I agree that DPS/Healer is the better overall combo.

You could always take a class that has both Tank and DPS trees, try both, and respec as needed.

I don't mind what role i fulfil, so long as the class I'm playing is able to accomplish what i'm after.

I know this doesn't make any different as classes on either side are carbon copies of each other, but i'll be playing republic, going light side no matter what class i choose, because I'm too much of a goody.

I look forward to reading the replies!

Sage has an easy rotation, however I'd say a Scoundrel would be good to play as

The easiest Solo PvE classes IMO are Bounty hunter/Trooper.

Reasons:

Bounty Hunter - Get a healer almost right off the bat and can spec as Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS depending on your choice of advance class.

Trooper - Get a healer after the second planet (a bit later that the BH), but this is off set as all your companions will find your hand me downs upgrades as they all are +aim users (even the additional HK and Treek) and like above they can be specced as Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS depending on your advanced class.

As to how these perform in PvP I can't really answer as I don't do it but as PvE it can work really well.

I'm kind of late to the thread, but I'll throw out my 2C.

I pvp mainly. I would break it down as follows.

Easy: guardian / jugg, vanguard / powertech.

Medium: sage / sorcerer, commando / mercenary, gunslinger / sniper

Medium / Hard: scoundrel / operative

Hard: sentinel / marauder, shadow / Assassin

I've never been into raids. The extent of my end game PVE experience is a few 50 HM flashpoints back in the day - I've never done any 55 flashpoints or ops. However, my gut tells me that a shadow / assassin would be a poor choice for end game PVE unless you want to tank. They can be viable as dps, but it's not an easy spec to play.

PVE and PVP can be somewhat conflicting. For pvp, I would go guardian / jugg vigilance / vengeance (damage) spec. However, I don't think that the class is a particularly good end game dps. So, you'd probably go tank for that. Tanking is not easy, in general, though. Also, gearing for a pvp tank is different than gearing for a pve tank.

Personally, I pretty much have one of everything, so I can do whatever I want at any time. :D