The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Swtor and Kotor has to be cannon or the clone wars can't be cannon

WilliamSteeves

We have all seen the Clone wars lasted T.V. show on teletoon network I presume. So we all should know of the episode where Yoda go on his own force journey to get answer for who the sith lord is. When he meets Darth Bane.

But wait Darth Bane is not cannon any more is he according to Disney Star Wars book and game not are released before their purchase of Star Wars are not cannon. Darth Bane is based off of the books call the The Darth Bane trilogy which includes the three books in the trilogy Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil.

But your asking what dose this half to do with Swtor and Kotor :confused:

Well In the trilogy they talk about how Darth Bane was trained by Revan (via holocron) and who do u play ask in Kotor Darth Revan and u hear a lot of about Revan in Swtor from the order of the Revan (Revanites)

So in conclusion either Swtor and Kotor has to be cannon or Disney will have to make brand new story for Darth Revan and Darth Bane :D

Edited by WilliamSteeves

I had to use a example and that was those book were the one that poped into my head

Well, your premise is that if Bane is canon, then Revan is canon, which means SWTOR/KOTOR and all of that is canon.

Fact is that George Lucas created Darth Bane quite some time before the Bane trilogy was written. So there is no real reason to make that stuff canon just on these grounds.

Cause Revan. :p

Well, yes. To me, Darth Bane's situation should have made the Rule of Two an obvious solution to Sith infighting. But apparently Bane needed some 2,000 year old relic to tell him that, even though Revan never implemented it in the first place and goes completely against what we are told about him in KOTOR 2.

Well, yes. To me, Darth Bane's situation should have made the Rule of Two an obvious solution to Sith infighting. But apparently Bane needed some 2,000 year old relic to tell him that, even though Revan never implemented it in the first place and goes completely against what we are told about him in KOTOR 2.
Well, I thought it provided an elegant solution to the whole Master & Apprentice paradigm we see in KOTOR, despite the absence of the Rule of Two.

Well, I thought it provided an elegant solution to the whole Master & Apprentice paradigm we see in KOTOR, despite the absence of the Rule of Two.

Or Bane, the lore-junkie the Bane trilogy makes him out to be, could have used it as an example and formed the Rule of Two from it. You can include Revan if you want, but don't take away from the greatness of another character to do it. That way, Bane is still a smart guy and Karpyshyn gets to include the object of his obsession.

Edited by Aurbere

Or Bane, the lore-junkie the Bane trilogy makes him out to be, could have used it as an example and formed the Rule of Two from it. You can include Revan if you want, but don't take away from the greatness of another character to do it. That way, Bane is still a smart guy and Karpyshyn gets to include the object of his obsession.
Overall, I liked the Bane trilogy, but yeah the "he got it from Revan" origin/retcon of the Rule of Two was... not the high point of the series.

I mean even before there was any indication of "one Master, one Apprentice" in G-canon, we had the Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith comic where Marka Ragnos' force ghost specifically shows up to stop Sith in-fighting by ordaining Exar Kun as Master and Ulic Qel-Droma as Apprentice.

Seems like, if anything, Bane should have gotten inspiration from Ragnos (Ghost!Ragnos: "no, really, this time it'll work! I swear!") or at least have Darth Revan tracing his own Master/Apprentice ideology back to that pairing, so that it would seem like part of a longer evolution of Kun/Qel-Droma -> Revan/Malak -> Bane(/Zannah).

At the end of the day, having the Rule of Two originate at the same time the Sith are believed to go extinct never made much sense, anyway. The whole "Kibh Jeen tells them about it, but most Jedi think he's crazy" explanation just didn't work that well - it was such a blatant attempt to fix a plot hole (though at least they made the attempt, I guess).

Edited by DarthDymond

We have all seen the Clone wars lasted T.V. show on teletoon network I presume. So we all should know of the episode where Yoda go on his own force journey to get answer for who the sith lord is. When he meets Darth Bane.

But wait Darth Bane is not cannon any more is he according to Disney Star Wars book and game not are released before their purchase of Star Wars are not cannon. Darth Bane is based off of the books call the The Darth Bane trilogy which includes the three books in the trilogy Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil.

But your asking what dose this half to do with Swtor and Kotor :confused:

Well In the trilogy they talk about how Darth Bane was trained by Revan (via holocron) and who do u play ask in Kotor Darth Revan and u hear a lot of about Revan in Swtor from the order of the Revan (Revanites)

So in conclusion either Swtor and Kotor has to be cannon or Disney will have to make brand new story for Darth Revan and Darth Bane :D

Saying:

• "Darth Bane (the character) is Canon, therefore the Path of Destruction novel is Canon"

is no more true than saying:

Most of the EU works that are now "Legends" feature Canon characters and describe events from those characters' lives - but simply featuring a Canon character does not mean the Legends stories about them become Canon, too.

Edited by DarthDymond

Saying:
  • "Darth Bane (the character) is Canon, therefore the Path of Destruction novel is Canon"

is no more true than saying:

Most of the EU works that are now "Legends" feature Canon characters and describe events from those characters' lives - but simply featuring a Canon character does not mean the Legends stories about them become Canon, too.

I always find it funny when people think that because a canon story mentions something from Legends, it means that said Legends story is canon also. If it did that Episodes 7,8,9 would run into issue as the Thrawn trilogy would be canon still. After all it was the Thrawn trilogy that named Coruscant Coruscant, not George Lucas. GL simply liked it so he kept it

Darth Bane was created way before Karpyshyn messed him up.

THANK YOU. Honestly, despite how much I appreciate the Bane trilogy, the whole "Revan invented the Rule of Two first" idea was one of the worst retcons in the Legends timeline.

I wouldn't have minded a reverent Revan mention at some point, but what Karpyshyn did with the Rule of Two, that was some Karen Traviss-level BS there, and it just reeked of fanboyism of a game developer who had such a hardon for his own character that he couldn't resist diluting the legacy of possibly the most important Dark Lord in the history of the Sith.

THANK YOU. Honestly, despite how much I appreciate the Bane trilogy, the whole "Revan invented the Rule of Two first" idea was one of the worst retcons in the Legends timeline.

I wouldn't have minded a reverent Revan mention at some point, but what Karpyshyn did with the Rule of Two, that was some Karen Traviss-level BS there, and it just reeked of fanboyism of a game developer who had such a hardon for his own character that he couldn't resist diluting the legacy of possibly the most important Dark Lord in the history of the Sith.

But revan was a lunatic that want the Jedi and sith order to lose not like Darth bane who want to make the best sith empire ever

Well, I myself quite enjoyed the Bane Trilogy...

The Bane trilogy was tripe, only the first novel was anywhere close to good.

Seriously, Bane had the same character explanation and depth as that one Sith guard we met outside Korriban that one time in Kotor.

Hmm *smiles' all very interesting, but, how about giving the kid an answer on the OP!?

My take? well, by that TCW episode we know the following:

1) There were a Sith Lord named Darth Bane, and the operative word being were as Yoda lets us know his dead and no more is a threat.

2) Darth Bane explicitly is named, by Yoda, as the creator of 'The Rule of Two'-

The Conclusions?

There were in some time of Galaxy history a Sith Lord named Darth Bane and he created 'The Rule of Two', BUT, from that nothing else can be made Canon; meaning we know nothing about the Why, the How and the When, that is still to be delivered by Disney ... so the why, how and when is still Legend . . .

its already been confirmed Darth Bane started the rule of two a thousand years before the movie.

Darth Bane

An ancient and legendary Sith Lord, it was Darth Bane who saw that the Sith traditions of old were ultimately a dead end. All too often, squabbling Sith in their bid for power upended carefully laid plans. After the Sith were decimated by the Jedi Knights of a thousand years ago, Bane enacted the Sith rule of two: there would be only two active Sith at one time -- a Dark Lord to embody the power, and an apprentice to crave it. These Sith would operate in the shadows, favoring guile and conspiracy to bring down their opponents rather than brute force -- that is, until it was time to rise and subjugate the galaxy.

its already been confirmed Darth Bane started the rule of two a thousand years before the movie.

Darth Bane

An ancient and legendary Sith Lord, it was Darth Bane who saw that the Sith traditions of old were ultimately a dead end. All too often, squabbling Sith in their bid for power upended carefully laid plans. After the Sith were decimated by the Jedi Knights of a thousand years ago, Bane enacted the Sith rule of two: there would be only two active Sith at one time -- a Dark Lord to embody the power, and an apprentice to crave it. These Sith would operate in the shadows, favoring guile and conspiracy to bring down their opponents rather than brute force -- that is, until it was time to rise and subjugate the galaxy.

Still having problem putting a source to your knowledge!? We know the legend lore mate, the question was what after the Disney purge can be considered Canon, and a statement claiming to be Canon must by definition be accompanied by a source . . . And that source must be considered official . . . well, it feel we went over this before ...

Still having problem putting a source to your knowledge!? We know the legend lore mate, the question was what after the Disney purge can be considered Canon, and a statement claiming to be Canon must by definition be accompanied by a source . . . And that source must be considered official . . . well, it feel we went over this before ...
That is a quote from Darth Bane's Databank entry, so that is the extent of his canonical story.

clearly you yourself didnt know the lore if you had to state this.

Edited by Girdeux