12XP Boost: Kind of Bullcrap

NeonCowboy

Anyone else think OP is just bad?

I just played Quesh as SI same quest. Yes it was hard but as long as you use all your skills well, have a good companion that benefits from your playstyle and utilize CC it was pretty simple. I did it in all level 31 greens and I enjoyed the challenge actually...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think OP is just bad?

I just played Quesh as SI same quest. Yes it was hard but as long as you use all your skills well, have a good companion that benefits from your playstyle and utilize CC it was pretty simple. I did it in all level 31 greens and I enjoyed the challenge actually...

My thoughts exactly the game does a good job if keeping you decently geared in greens the whole time which is enough if you're a good player to get by most content. I will admit something's like the act finalies are fairly difficult but this is an MMO so if you run into a challenge just get a friend to help you

Honest question to the OP:

If you really don't have any interest in playing SWTOR but still want to see the stories, why not maybe just watch them on YouTube? You'd save yourself some money, and, evidently, a fair amount of aggravation as well.

Honest question to the OP:

If you really don't have any interest in playing SWTOR but still want to see the stories, why not maybe just watch them on YouTube? You'd save yourself some money, and, evidently, a fair amount of aggravation as well.

I guess he feels the need to be the hero, instead of just watching the hero in action.

Why else would anyone sub and pre-order the expansion to a game they don't wanna play to begin with?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I guess he feels the need to be the hero, instead of just watching the hero in action.

Why else would anyone sub and pre-order the expansion to a game they don't wanna play to begin with?

I honestly don't know why anybody would do that. :confused:

My thoughts exactly the game does a good job if keeping you decently geared in greens the whole time which is enough if you're a good player to get by most content. I will admit something's like the act finalies are fairly difficult but this is an MMO so if you run into a challenge just get a friend to help you

+1 here. I just took a new toon from creation to 55, and sailed right through. Yes, there are some bosses in the 30s, and Ilum, just on class mission add dropped greens that can get a bit difficult.

But, you know what I did after dying once on something -- mainly because I did something stupid like not pay attention to the second wandering gold? I rez'ed then unleashed nearly an entire full taskbar's worth of heroic legacies on the clown(s).

There's nothing so bad just through class missions, and ample tools to get by it all, no.

This is pretty much it exactly. It's a lot more fun to play and go through the options yourself. I always ESC before conversations end just to go back and see the other dialogue paths. The writing is great.

To me, getting to do that for 8 really good stories was totally worth subbing and buying the expansion (which I'll probably never even play...!) for.

But I thought I'd get to skate right through it. I figured that was the whole point of the boost! And I imagine a lot of people will think that.

This is pretty much it exactly. It's a lot more fun to play and go through the options yourself. I always ESC before conversations end just to go back and see the other dialogue paths. The writing is great.

To me, getting to do that for 8 really good stories was totally worth subbing and buying the expansion (which I'll probably never even play...!) for.

But I thought I'd get to skate right through it. I figured that was the whole point of the boost! And I imagine a lot of people will think that.

No actually they won't. They will see it as an enhanced leveling experience. But I seriously don't understand why you would bother subbing and buying

the expansion if you not interested in the game. Like why not YouTube?

No actually they won't. They will see it as an enhanced leveling experience. But I seriously don't understand why you would bother subbing and buying

the expansion if you not interested in the game. Like why not YouTube?

It is possible that we are not capable of understanding each other, unfortunately. I have no idea what you mean by an 'enhanced levelling experience'.

I think maybe the issue is that SWTOR attracts two extremely divergent groups of players: People who really admire the production values and narratives it has to offer, and people more attracted to it as a game / MMO.

And then there are the really lucky people, who love both. :)

But even people only interested in the narrative want to experience the actual playing of the thing! YouTube is not the same as actually getting to experience it, even if the interaction is minimal.

It is possible that we are not capable of understanding each other, unfortunately. I have no idea what you mean by an 'enhanced levelling experience'.

I think maybe the issue is that SWTOR attracts two extremely divergent groups of players: People who really admire the production values and narratives it has to offer, and people more attracted to it as a game / MMO.

And then there are the really lucky people, who love both. :)

But even people only interested in the narrative want to experience the actual playing of the thing! YouTube is not the same as actually getting to experience it, even if the interaction is minimal.

I was saying I disagree with your notion that this 12x xp is a bad thing for players both new and old and that the devs have done it in perhaps a shady way. Hope I was clear now. Yet, I still don't understand how can you say you don't like the game then profess you like the stories.

Hey everyone,

For anyone considering picking up the pre-order and re-subscribing for a dainty jaunt through all of the class storylines you may have missed, please be forewarned: I am currently L38 on Quesh as an SI, and I am hitting the wall. Hard. Very hard.

Without gear, things have been getting tougher and tougher for awhile now, but at this point they're pretty much impossible. It was workable when mobs and bosses were 2+ levels below me, but they're only a single level down now, and although I could be buying greens from the GTN a little more frequently, I still don't feel like this experience is within my expectations.

I imagine a lot of you are considering making this leap back into SWTOR for the same reason I did: To just see the stories. If that's what you're looking for, I think you'll regret the decision. I definitely do.

Thanks! :mad:

I love the boost. What it also does it force players to learn their class a lot better (I know many have said this.)

For completely new players it can be a bit rough, but they can still do all sidequests to get more gear.

Personally, however, I'm having no issues whatsoever with the leveling. I've leveled 3 characters already, and I'm on my fourth now, a juggernaut. 6 hours in and level 46. Having absolutely no problems at all with the mobs, and I can't believe you're having trouble as an inquisitor. Are you sure you're not just bad?

The newly leveled characters are all in quest-greens and blues only. I haven't bought anything for them off the GTN, and my treek is using level 23 legacy set even now at level 46. Using her as tank, but when she's only got like 7k hp at 46 it's not really that much help. She's died 5 times from level 10, and I've died 1.

Other classes leveled:

Dps operative,

Bounty hunter,

assassin.

But, you know what I did after dying once on something -- mainly because I did something stupid like not pay attention to the second wandering gold? I rez'ed then unleashed nearly an entire full taskbar's worth of heroic legacies on the clown(s).

There's nothing so bad just through class missions, and ample tools to get by it all, no.

Nice, tell me how a new player can get those will pass it on to my friends then they can solo on own without needing any help.

I love the boost. What it also does it force players to learn their class a lot better (I know many have said this.)

For completely new players it can be a bit rough, but they can still do all sidequests to get more gear.

Personally, however, I'm having no issues whatsoever with the leveling. I've leveled 3 characters already, and I'm on my fourth now, a juggernaut. 6 hours in and level 46. Having absolutely no problems at all with the mobs, and I can't believe you're having trouble as an inquisitor. Are you sure you're not just bad?

The newly leveled characters are all in quest-greens and blues only. I haven't bought anything for them off the GTN, and my treek is using level 23 legacy set even now at level 46. Using her as tank, but when she's only got like 7k hp at 46 it's not really that much help. She's died 5 times from level 10, and I've died 1.

Other classes leveled:

Dps operative,

Bounty hunter,

assassin.

Wait, what? I have no doubt you are a better SWTOR player than I am - I'm probably totally average, which I'm sure to a serious player such as yourself is 'bad' - but if you're level 46 in only six hours, there has to be some other factor here. I'm lvl 39 in something like 13 - 14 hours.

Maybe what others have said - that BW put this in more for people who already have multiple 55s, and are very experienced players - is in fact the case.

Six hours? Jesus. That's crazy. How could you even move around the maps that fast?!

I am so absolutely disgusted at the forced 12X XP for pre-order. I HATE IT! And all I get in game is rhetoric and harassment. Why? I have no idea.

I DON'T WANT the 12X XP. I want an option to turn it off so that those who want it can have it... but I am not FORCED to have it.

I pre-ordered for the OTHER boons. And I have seen so much rudeness from other players because I simply said I don't want it and I wish I had a toggle feature for it. As though that would destroy their gameplay.

There are quite a few reasons 12X XP is bad. I will mention only a couple that directly and immediately affects me:

1 - I like story. I like to play the game... not power level. I have been a part of this game since beta. And I still want to watch, be a part of, and enjoy the game play. This is the best and most immersive game I've ever played (and I've been playing MMOs since before MMOs existed (think L.O.R.D. and TradeWars) and video games well before that).

2 - I have a few people whom I have characters with... to play ONLY with them. I am the ONLY subscriber and because I pre-ordered, I literally outleveled one of them by THREE levels in the matter of a couple hours. It destroys the whole purpose and is a turn off to them if their partner, who plays ONLY with them outlevels them so quickly.

I want the option to turn off the 12X XP. I actually sent in a ticket about it (not that I expect them to give a ****).

This 12X XP has to have an option to turn it off per character; or at the VERY least, per account. It is destructive to the possibility of growth.

Wait, what? I have no doubt you are a better SWTOR player than I am - I'm probably totally average, which I'm sure to a serious player such as yourself is 'bad' - but if you're level 46 in only six hours, there has to be some other factor here. I'm lvl 39 in something like 13 - 14 hours.

Maybe what others have said - that BW put this in more for people who already have multiple 55s, and are very experienced players - is in fact the case.

Six hours? Jesus. That's crazy. How could you even move around the maps that fast?!

Skipping every single conversation (with the exception of the first time you meet Jaesa, love that.)

Utilizing every single travel in the game:

Quick Travel

Personal Starship

Homeworld (Dromund Kaas teleport)

Fleet passes

Cartel market quick travel doesn't share CD, so it can be used as long as you have it up, and when the normal Quicktravel is on cooldown. On alderaan you can save as much as 30 minutes in pure running time back and forth once you have the different teleport paths.

And most importantly: teleporting to stronghold -> personal ship and/or dromund kaas from there.

I also skip bigger packs of mobs in tunnels etc by just running instead of stopping. Health might drop a bit but it's quicker to regen that in < 10 seconds than to kill a pack or 5 and lose 3 minutes. (Total amount of packs can quickly become another 30 minutes etc)

I am so absolutely disgusted at the forced 12X XP for pre-order. I HATE IT! And all I get in game is rhetoric and harassment. Why? I have no idea.

I DON'T WANT the 12X XP. I want an option to turn it off so that those who want it can have it... but I am not FORCED to have it.

I pre-ordered for the OTHER boons. And I have seen so much rudeness from other players because I simply said I don't want it and I wish I had a toggle feature for it. As though that would destroy their gameplay.

There are quite a few reasons 12X XP is bad. I will mention only a couple that directly and immediately affects me:

1 - I like story. I like to play the game... not power level. I have been a part of this game since beta. And I still want to watch, be a part of, and enjoy the game play. This is the best and most immersive game I've ever played (and I've been playing MMOs since before MMOs existed (think L.O.R.D. and TradeWars) and video games well before that).

2 - I have a few people whom I have characters with... to play ONLY with them. I am the ONLY subscriber and because I pre-ordered, I literally outleveled one of them by THREE levels in the matter of a couple hours. It destroys the whole purpose and is a turn off to them if their partner, who plays ONLY with them outlevels them so quickly.

I want the option to turn off the 12X XP. I actually sent in a ticket about it (not that I expect them to give a ****).

This 12X XP has to have an option to turn it off per character; or at the VERY least, per account. It is destructive to the possibility of growth.

You could have:

Done some research into the boost before preordering to see if you could turn it off.

Not preorder until the last day for the rewards (november?) No need to rush it.