lockbox missions

Taliefer

im returning to the game after a lengthy time away. last time i played, slicing lockbox missions resulted in a net loss.

is this still the case or was it fixed?

not tryin to get rich quick, but id at least like to know im not going to lose money by running the missions

im returning to the game after a lengthy time away. last time i played, slicing lockbox missions resulted in a net loss.

is this still the case or was it fixed?

not tryin to get rich quick, but id at least like to know im not going to lose money by running the missions

Running grade 9 lockboxes for credits alone is a net loss based on credits alone. However, no "fix" was ever needed because it was never broken. Lockbox missions are run for a chance to crit a discovered mission. Just be glad you get most of your credits back when you do not crit.

So what's so great about getting missions?

Crafter and/or material gatherers like to run the purple missions from slicing because they guarantee 4-6(?) purple mats per mission.

As a slicer, you're not interested in gathering mats, just money. So, when you run your crew skill mission (slicing mission) and it crits, you get credits and an Unlock-able purple crew skill mission for underworld trading, archaeology, treasure hunting, etc. The thing to do for a slider is: Sell these missions on the GTN.

How much you list these missions for on the GTN is up to you. They are just like crafting mats, price them accordingly. What that means is: if the mission will return 4 ice jewels and an ice jewel sells for 10,000 credits then sell the the mission for 40,000 credits. The price you actually list the mission for can vary depending on your personal thoughts and the market you're selling in. The mission will also return blue crafting mats, which will have a typically or usual selling price on the GTN like the purple mats (ice jewels in my example), and the missions can return companion gifts, crafting schematics, etc. The point is, there's more opportunity (materials wise) to the person that buys your mission than just receiving the purple crafting mats back.

Do keep in mind that there will be a cost to whomever buys your mission to actually RUN that mission with one of their companions. They'll factor that onto the top of the price you list your mission at and then divide that total by the number and type of mats they expect to get out of running the mission.

So, if your price winds up being cheaper, in their eyes, compared to the listed crating materials already on the GTN...they'll buy your mission. You could always look at what other missions of the same type are seeking for, and list yours the same. Or...you could severely undercut the same mission you're selling compared to others listed on the GTN <<<<<<this is my preference for you as I'm an avid crafter :)

Point is, the missions you receive from your slicing mission is nothing more than a great big giant box of crafting materials for whoever you sell the mission to and runs it with one of their companions. What you sell that for is up to you, the market you're in(server), and the speed at which you want to wait to collect money on the sale (undercut or not).

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mozivicus

As a slicer, you're not interested in gathering mats, just money.

Not entirely true. Slicing mats are used to make Augments, especially Thermal Regulators (Artifact Grade 9) for endgame Augments, and, if you're into that sort of thing, are required mats for one of the Universal Prefab pre-cursors used in purchasing Stronghold Decorations from some vendors.

Personally, I almost never run Lockbox missions with my Slicers. I'm going after the mats.

Edited by AlixMV

Not entirely true. Slicing mats are used to make Augments, especially Thermal Regulators (Artifact Grade 9) for endgame Augments, and, if you're into that sort of thing, are required mats for one of the Universal Prefab pre-cursors used in purchasing Stronghold Decorations from some vendors.

Personally, I almost never run Lockbox missions with my Slicers. I'm going after the mats.

And I mix it up because I am looking for mats for ALL crew skills

Lol. Of course I found the two slicers interested in obtaining mats and painstakingly listing them for sale. Most people that took slicing early on were not interested in crafting or the mats associated with it...just credits obtained.

I too am interested in the mats...so that I can craft. My point though was that the missions obtained were pure credits for a non - crafter. You're right also, that the mats are too, but not like the missions. Perhaps it's different on some servers?

To the OP, there's lots of ways to make money ;)