Shoved into the Box of Rock/Paper/Scissor, can we get a little Lizard Spock?

OrionSol

I believe you're right that the main thing being lost is the "unexpected" hybrid builds that players were able to achieve - the Devs simply can't be expected to test and balance every combination that 1 million players will come up with (some intentional, some through naiveness).

This new system seems to keep the option to choose unique abilities intact, allowing us all to be somewhat "different" if that's your goal, but it certainly doesn't add more diversity...it's less for certain...but it's (hopefully) a good "less" vs. a bad less...less mistakes by players who pick a little from all 3 trees and less OP builds from those who find ways to go above intended limits.

I'm very anxious to see how it plays out.

Yeah I don't think I stated it well. By more diversity I mean more viable specs. Currently most classes have only a handful of specs that are really used. Going forward I think there will be greater variety of commonly used builds than there are now. Especially in PvP. I think this change will make PvP much more interesting.

Yeah I don't think I stated it well. By more diversity I mean more viable specs. Currently most classes have only a handful of specs that are really used. Going forward I think there will be greater variety of commonly used builds than there are now. Especially in PvP. I think this change will make PvP much more interesting.

That makes more sense - I agree! I think this has the potential to increase effective diversity more...especially in PvP :)

Like I said earlier...I'm very anxious to see this in action. It appears that they've left the complexity of many skills intact, while simplifying the route to get the desirable top tier skills. At least that's what it seems like to me.

I equate this to Wheel of Fortune, they started giving away RSTLNE for the final round and letting you pick a few others that you normally wouldn't have. Back before RSTLNE were given away, those were the "normal" letters picked by the majority of the players, they became the standards...there were always people who would go outside the norm and pick some obscure letters, sometimes they got lucky, other times they'd flop...just like hybrids now.

I see what you are saying now. Certainly, no one can argue that.

What I am disappointed in is that I can't be 50% dps and 50% healer anymore.

I've been playing that way for 2+ years.

Prior to this we essentially had 3(generally viable) specs per AC, with a few having an additional one.

This new system should(in theory because it'll be significantly easier to balance things like dps and hps without creating imbalance) ensure all ACs are viable, and then with the utility points it looks like we'll see 2 or more accepted choice groupings per AC spec, meaning essentially 6(or more) widely accepted builds should become the norm per AC.

If they do even a reasonably decent job with the utility point system that is. If they do a good job it'd seem like we could get a large amount of variation from the utility points.

Sorry. As a former semi-hardcore PvEr, I never have approved of hybrid specs. In a barely passing-DPS group, a hybrid easily screws up everything.

Maybe the best of the best can handle it, but...

Sorry friend. I'm sure you can find something fun for you in Disciplines.

Prior to this we essentially had 3(generally viable) specs per AC, with a few having an additional one.

This new system should(in theory because it'll be significantly easier to balance things like dps and hps without creating imbalance) ensure all ACs are viable, and then with the utility points it looks like we'll see 2 or more accepted choice groupings per AC spec, meaning essentially 6(or more) widely accepted builds should become the norm per AC.

If they do even a reasonably decent job with the utility point system that is. If they do a good job it'd seem like we could get a large amount of variation from the utility points.

I hope this is the case!

I believe you're right that the main thing being lost is the "unexpected" hybrid builds that players were able to achieve - the Devs simply can't be expected to test and balance every combination that 1 million players will come up with (some intentional, some through naiveness).

This new system seems to keep the option to choose unique abilities intact, allowing us all to be somewhat "different" if that's your goal, but it certainly doesn't add more diversity...it's less for certain...but it's (hopefully) a good "less" vs. a bad less...less mistakes by players who pick a little from all 3 trees and less OP builds from those who find ways to go above intended limits.

I'm very anxious to see how it plays out.

You will NOT be disappointed as you see more and more TUXs. I told you that you would really like it ;)