The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thoughts About Losing the skill Tree

Shaloam

I enjoyed WoW through Catyclsm or however its spelled. Then they took away the customizable skill tree for the 3 talent system. When Panda's came out I knew I was done and it had become a game for the pre-teen PO kung fu panda folks. I enjoy being able to read the skills and choose from each one something I want to customize. Do I look at other's recommendations yes. But the final decision on which ones to choose give me options. Now it will be point and click? No individual choices? So all characters will have the same abilities and it becomes gear that makes the difference not my choices. Might as well just give each character the ability to pick from tank, dps, or healer and make it real easy. But as we all know your character class makes a difference what role you will play and then so does the skills you pick as well. Dumbing down the choices just makes it less intelligent to play as you should read what each skill does and chose those for your play style. If some are preferred over others then replace them with something that is comparable but in another play style. That would at least give me the option to chose from a selection and make my character MY choice. I fear since your doing what WoW did you will end up the same and those who left WoW and came here may have reason to go back to being a Panda.

My guild discusses the trees and works on what is best, and it is the basis for many intelligent, yes I said intelligent conversations. So make it for the PS4 and be done with it or leave us the trees for customization sake.

Ugg I love my star wars....been drawn to it since my father took me to see episode 4 at the theater in 1977, now I have to make the choice when this comes out to stay or find something else.

Edited by Shaloam

• 2 months later...

Thoughts? I miss the Skill Tree. I liked it. I liked it a hell of a lot more than the new Discipline system. It has nothing to do with me not being able to deal with change.

The new system simply is not good.

There are basically no choices to be made. I miss the customization. It feels dumbed down. Like D&D 3.0 dumbed down. I really can't understand how the devs thought that the Discipline system would make for a better game. It's taken a lot away from the game and made it far less enjoyable. Hopefully I can learn to live with it because I love TOR. I don't know, though. I'm going to see how it goes. I come up for a 6 month renewal soon. I still haven't decided if I will renew or not. Before 3.0, there was no question whatsoever. It was a guarantee. Now, it's up in the air. My wife is also a subscriber. She feels the same way.

On another note, the 3.0 change brought with it a lot of other things which I don't feel are very good either. The biggest one being the massive nerf to healing. Damn. What's that all about. Healers never had it easy keeping a part alive and now everything does more damage than ever and healers are healing for half of what they used to.

It feels like what happened to SWG with NGE and all. Only now it's here in TOR. Not sure that I'm impressed with this system or not. I know I don't care for taking away my choices though and being forced into a near cookie cutter type character class.

I mean if this is not spammed everywhere else in the forums , I guess not attention to everyone who would prefer to stomp, kick ,and moan !

I do not find the trees all that bad , I lost in my head of what I thought was a Hybrid Build . Fine , its not all that bad . I adjusted .

The problem with skill trees is while you make think you're involved in highly intellectual conversation but someone, somewhere is going to be doing all the math and figure out which talents provide the most DPS and then everyone will follow the exact same road.

This is why they remove talent points and give you everything they want you to have and let you choose utility spells. The exact same reason why WoW did it as well. Besides, the wow talent trees are fantastic.

They give you the illusion of choice, but you're forced to follow an exact template or you'll be hurting your raid.

:rak_03:

The problem with skill trees is while you make think you're involved in highly intellectual conversation but someone, somewhere is going to be doing all the math and figure out which talents provide the most DPS and then everyone will follow the exact same road.

This is why they remove talent points and give you everything they want you to have and let you choose utility spells. The exact same reason why WoW did it as well. Besides, the wow talent trees are fantastic.

They give you the illusion of choice, but you're forced to follow an exact template or you'll be hurting your raid.

:rak_03:

For the most part I think every Class has two viable DPS trees while one might over shadow the other , atleast in the popularity schemes of things , I think over all you can do pretty much as you wish and still hold your own in a Raid like before .

Ofcourse there will be proven betters and what not , but this is a game and if you are just worried about what others think than you are hurting your own fun in figuring out what over all works for you .

There is still choice while it might seem limited .