Remaining equipped through the x12 XP boost

Metthew

As for gearing, not much of an issue with all the comms i've earned doing flashpoints / heroics / dropping from mobs during conquest weeks. Handy to have that free legacy gear now, pop in the mods and send to toon. About every 5 levels should be good :D

You'll need ~1120 commendations, assuming you only ever have to maintain two sets.

Which is why I started complaining in the first place. This is NOT something welcoming to new players.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solutions!

Money for Training Costs: Run one daily are each day with max level character, send money to new toon. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Gear: IIRC, all class quest gear rewards fill out each spot as needed and are good enough for that level and a few more. Also, running planet heroics will net you gear and planet comms. Or you can use the GTN. You'll find a lot of cheap stuff on there that people just throw up rather than vendor.

If this is your first ever character, you may run into a few problems. You'll end up having to run some planet content for money to train skills with, however gearing should not be an issue.

The two sides to this debate in this thread are both right...

1 - Leveling with 12X XP doing story only will keep you at or above the mission level, but your gear WILL fall far behind.

2 - Alternatives to comm / mission reward gear exist, from using alts with comms to crafting to buying from GTN.

Would it be nice if say Planetary Comms from story missions had some multiplier just like the XP? Sure.

Am I going to complain about it when I went from sitting on NS in low 20s to being on Hoth at level 40 in just a few hours this afternoon? No.

Edited by DawnAskham

This is what having a cyertech and artificer is for... you can pump out a full set of green armorings, mods, and enhancements very fast (especially with a level 55 sending out 5 companions)... you could even pre-make all of them before running up, I often will make sets about 7 levels or so apart, though this fast might wait even longer. With a companion like treek class quests are even easier than before, even undergeared.

Tho i have no idea what to do about gear ... since you wont get enought planetary comms from only few class missions. You will outlevel your gear extremly fast ....

Just run DK/C and B/T Heroics with your main, it'll take about 20/40 mins and should keep you rolling for one alt. (If your main is 55 ofc)

... Collections equipment, then my crafter's are just sitting down and crafting mods when I log off to play a different alt for a while.

That's how I'm keeping geared. Helps that my main has Armormech, and my next highest leveled is a Cybertech, followed by my Synthweaver, so I can at least keep geared up for a while. Really racking up the crafting levels that way.

Im on level 17 after an hour or so and so far training is free.

Does anyone know if free training ends? Like at a particular level?

I had a few fresh 55's that had some outstanding skills to be trained (non-essential to their build), when I logged on they still got everything for free. So for anyone else that hadn't bothered with training that AoE you hardly ever use for 30k credits, now is the time :cool:

Edited by MagikFingerz

It is pretty easy to remain equipped, the same goes for your companion who seems to be a little ignored around here. For those brand new to the game or who have not crafted at all it will be harder, your stuck with the GTN and the higher prices for all equipment that are going to follow.

For those lucky enough to have been around a while and to have put some effort in it is much easier. For your companion use star fighter legacy armour. Most player have multiple sets. Craft every other Mod, armourings, enhancments available, using Aim as the main stat when possible. Think it takes about 5 sets of legacy armour and you have levelling sets for at least one companion for every character that will take you from 10-55 (you do have treek right?) For yourself use green armour you craft yourself. Do not waste money on anything better. With a well set up companion and the presense you gain with multiple characters you will walk it in greens.

Edited by abercromb

Am I going to complain about it when I went from sitting on NS in low 20s to being on Hoth at level 40 in just a few hours this afternoon? No.

THIS is the attitude we should have. BW did not say they would load you a geared 55 - but 12x xp is pretty close. Use your problem solving. Training is free, use creds to buy some crap greens. Take a break and do gray heroics, fp, or pvp. Or group up! I understand dying/delays are frustrating, but a timeout to gear a bit is still INFINITELY faster than grinding it out with no gear issues.

I heard that you can buff your Toon for Makeb at lvl 47 in the orbital station and will be able to do all the quests there regardless of gear. So if you can somehow scrape your way up to 47 with the odd green or two you should be ok.

I have no Prime's on the server I am levelling on, no credits, and no crafters and have only reached Balsaivis but so far so good. Lets see how far I get before the wheels fall off the gravy train=)

It is pretty easy to remain equipped, the same goes for your companion who seems to be a little ignored around here. For those brand new to the game or who have not crafted at all it will be harder, your stuck with the GTN and the higher prices for all equipment that are going to follow.

For those lucky enough to have been around a while and to have put some effort in it is much easier. For your companion use star fighter legacy armour. Most player have multiple sets. Craft every other Mod, armourings, enhancments available, using Aim as the main stat when possible. Think it takes about 5 sets of legacy armour and you have levelling sets for at least one companion for every character that will take you from 10-55 (you do have treek right?) For yourself use green armour you craft yourself. Do not waste money on anything better. With a well set up companion and the presense you gain with multiple characters you will walk it in greens.

5 sets with one for say roundly each 5 level step.

Geez! Just do the math for the amount of mods you need and the associated mats and crafting time, crazy!

How to stay geared? For a start... pull out those yellow loots that have been giving you inventory issues... birthright and inheritance gear.

One set kicks in around level 16 (not sure which is which, level wise!)... and tbh is good until the next set kicks in at 32. Its not too far from there to 50, when you can start using all that old legacy gear you have on alts and alt'comps. I won't lie, I am undergeared for some bosses... but hey to make up for it, I also have the full set of buffs, purple re-usable medics and stims, a companion with 700+ presence bonus and oh yeah, my full 8 special heroic moment which will clears rooms instantly.

I would expect most, if not all, people speed levelling to be roughly the same - this isn't for new starters. So... how to stay geared... don't really need to. As far as I can see it will only really be a problem for people who haven't levelled up properly in the past and skipped too much to get these bonuses.

Thoughts?

This whining about gear is actually pretty pathetic. You save so much time, spend some of it on gathering mats or earning planetary comms doing heroics you have outleveled, employ your level 55s to collect comms and mats.

• Dulfy has a heroics guide for Empire and Republic. IIRC, each Heroic +4 awards 3 planet comms.

• Producing a set of greens with a cybertech takes about what, 10 minutes? Same for Artifice and enhancements.

• 1 flashpoint through groupfinder makes 10+5= 15 planet commes, that's almost a full set of blue enhancements and mods. Or mainhand barrels/hilts for you and your companion (keeping mainhand updated is usually more important than keeping the rest fresh).

• Group up with other players. (Allowing players of the same class in your instances can be enabled in preferences.) That way companion gear is a lot less important.

• Some planets have specialty vendors that sell modded gear for credits instead of commendations.

Etc., be creative! Use what's available to you. And if you're aiming for record level times: It's part of the race. You either find a a way to do your level 35 quest in level 25 gear or spend some time/money on upgrades.

What I do during 2XP weekends: plan and prepare the gear beforehand:

• I will change Armorings at level 23, 31, 39, 45, 49
  • Alternate changing mods/enhancements at the levels in between (25 ->mods, 29 ->enh, 33 ->mods, 37 ->enh, 41->mods, 45->enh, 49 ->mods).
  • Mainhand barrels/hilts every 4 levels.

With that plan, I can obtain everything I need in advance, put it in the cargo hold and start the race when double XP goes live. (All gear blue. i.e. prototype gear.) When I know I'll level the mirror class later on, I save the armorings and barrels.

You have 8 weeks! You make a level in 15-30 minutes. There should be some time in there to take care of the gear either before you start or along the way.

5 sets with one for say roundly each 5 level step.

Geez! Just do the math for the amount of mods you need and the associated mats and crafting time, crazy!

It's really not a big deal time-wise to craft the gear for leveling. I'm using my armormech and synthweaver(instead of my cybertech) both of which are 55. You can make greens of almost every equipment slot every few levels, and since you can send 5 companions out and make 5 items each, you can almost craft all the gear you'll need in about 1(estimation) hour for each character. Then 1 more for the companion.

Granted, these are just greens but they still do the job...blues add a bit more time but they have longer staying power. Just plop them into legacy storage and whatever alt can use them pulls them out.

Have your higher level character go through older flashpoints and take the mods and put them in legacy gear. Each alt you make gets like 4 sets of legacy gear mailed to them. So there shouldn't be any problem with getting legacy gear.

Why do that when you can just put the mods into Legacy Storage?

Last night I started a new Sorc, got to lvl 15 before I needed to buy any gear, that was crazy quick. Had exactly 2 planet comms, so I jumped to another lvl 55 alt, went to fleet, bought up lvl 15 armor/mods/enhancements, teleported to stronghold, dropped them all in Legacy Storage, logged back to my new lvl 15, pulled them out of storage and equipped them.

Saved mailing cost, saved time and trouble ripping mods.

Why do that when you can just put the mods into Legacy Storage?

Last night I started a new Sorc, got to lvl 15 before I needed to buy any gear, that was crazy quick. Had exactly 2 planet comms, so I jumped to another lvl 55 alt, went to fleet, bought up lvl 15 armor/mods/enhancements, teleported to stronghold, dropped them all in Legacy Storage, logged back to my new lvl 15, pulled them out of storage and equipped them.

Saved mailing cost, saved time and trouble ripping mods.

The flashpoint suggestion is an alternative if your level 55 alt is out of comms. And it can be faster than grinding for new ones. I like the idea as yet another option of quickly obtaining gear. The only downside is that it's not guaranteed that the drops have the right stats for the class of your lowbie alt.

Edited by KyaniteD

Simplest solution: legacy-gear.

Inheritance is good from mid 10s till mid 20s, birthright from mid 30- to mid 40s....the gaps sshould easily be coverable with gear from quest-rewards.

I completely forgot about that gear!

I have an alt where I have stashed every legacy gear token I've ever received. I think I'll dust them off and use legacy gear and drops to level 1-55 for a second Jedi Knight. It'll be interesting to finally have a use for it. :D

I am not super wealthy by any stretch of the imagination ..... ingame or RL for that matter.

What I have done is pre-purchase hilts/barrels for one upgrade every 10 levels: 19, 29, 39, 49. I tend to stick with one companion the entire journey.

Each planet also has a green mod vendor so you can update items on the go. You also do get green items from drops, etc. I've gotten one character to 50. No issues since he was level 42 to start. I've gotten a level 21 character to 44 and have had zero issues yet following this model. I do find I need to un-summon and re-summon my companion after most fights ... but that is acceptable to me.

I intend on going through each class story with characters from 'brand new' to level 21 to start. Cost for barrels/hilts seems to run about 100-200K per series of runs.

My gathering skills are not able to keep up with the fast leveling. That is OK. I've gotten a fair number of mods, armors, enhancements as class rewards and drops. The misc green item from chests, rewards is also doing a good job filling the gap. I do admit that I 'just' replaced my level 13 focus though .... at 44 on my shadow.

I do have a 400+ cybercraft character. I have not used him yet.

I am not super wealthy by any stretch of the imagination ..... ingame or RL for that matter.

What I have done is pre-purchase hilts/barrels for one upgrade every 10 levels: 19, 29, 39, 49. I tend to stick with one companion the entire journey.

Each planet also has a green mod vendor so you can update items on the go. You also do get green items from drops, etc. I've gotten one character to 50. No issues since he was level 42 to start. I've gotten a level 21 character to 44 and have had zero issues yet following this model. I do find I need to un-summon and re-summon my companion after most fights ... but that is acceptable to me.

I intend on going through each class story with characters from 'brand new' to level 21 to start. Cost for barrels/hilts seems to run about 100-200K per series of runs.

My gathering skills are not able to keep up with the fast leveling. That is OK. I've gotten a fair number of mods, armors, enhancements as class rewards and drops. The misc green item from chests, rewards is also doing a good job filling the gap. I do admit that I 'just' replaced my level 13 focus though .... at 44 on my shadow.

I do have a 400+ cybercraft character. I have not used him yet.

What I done for my Shadow was save all my planetaries, do some daily fps and farm wz comms then got full 140 from the Makeb vendor to do me until 55