Thoughts on KO/Jarring Strike

Pilgrim_Grey

Hey all, I mostly pvp, so I'm wondering about the benefits of KO after the change. Is it still worth the two points for the interrupt opportunity from stealth, and the use of Backblast from anywhere? I have leaned that way in the past, since it still has its uses (and it seems like the lag in WZs makes it possible for people to "keep their back to you" for way longer than they should be able to), but I'm wondering if it would be better to shift those two points to Surprise Comeback, since the DR there makes it more worthwhile now.

This is a link to an old skill table, but it's basically what I have been slowly building toward... my Scrapper is still only 45. That, or the slight dabbling in Sawbones that the Scrapper PVP thread has a suggestion.

Just curious for some thoughts.

Here's my opinion. the nerf, broke Operatives/Scoundrels. It was stupid to make it a root, it's but a mere impunity to anyone nowadays. If you want to PvP, play a more sturdy class like Pyro PT or Veng Jugg. The class is literally just a fly that can get killed in 2 hits to any competent player.

It's fundamentally flawed as the above poster basically pointed out. Honestly, you're almost better off putting the points into something else. The problem is, the other two skills you'd put those points are even more worthless. :rolleyes:

I hoping they'll bring the knockdown back with then new skill system. I know the chances are less than zero, but I can still hope.

The knock down was a required mechanic for our style of play.

That knockdown was also the most annoying mechanic out of all the classes in my opinion.

The removed the knockdown and kept the style of play. In essence, the class is kaputski in pvp. The class has no soul, because it has nothing that sets its apart. It does fine in PvE as it functions well against a static target, but given the interuptions of PvP, the class quickly loses its potency.

No one with any skill ever goes....oh **** a scrapper scoundrel. You have plenty of time to react, and mitigate his alpha burst, and thereby win the encounter.

If you manage to beat another class as a scrapper in a 1v1, either one thing has to be true, or a lot of things have to happen in order for it to occur.

Your opponent has to mess up, or miss oppurtunities to mitigate your opening burst. So either he fails to play his class or hes just not experienced enough to know how to counter a scrapper.

or multiple things from this group has to happen

90% of your attacks have to crit. Especially Shoot First, and your next two abilities(better chance to not get mitigated by DCDs)

Enemy doesnt have a CC breaker(helps tremendously)

Your enemy fails to proc on key abilities(good luck with that, as procs have gone the way of the dodo)

You get off a heal which crits.

Your enemy attacks you while you have Pugnacity up, and blows all of his burst through that phase

Your enemies attacks fail to crit, or even hit.

Your enemy wastes a key white damage burst attack on Dodge.

You extend the fight past 45 seconds through distance LoS, allowing your DCDs to reset.

You interupt a key healing ability.

Your enemy is not a juggernaut.

Edited by Haystak

I think its crap considering you have to actually immobilize the target to get the "backstab/backblast from anywhere" effect to take place. Which is bs

Wait, what do you mean by this? I've had the "faceblast" work when the target wasn't immobilized and there isn't such a requirement in the tooltip, unless I'm completely forgetting it.

Anyway, as for the "blah, blah, Scrappers have been nerfed too much," I know that stuff already. I have a Shadow as well and feel like he has a lot more utility and can do the same only better, even if he's only in his low 30s (that seems like that will only get worse). I still like the Scrapper playstyle and stick with it... been slowly leveling mine and he's in his mid 40s. Probably a good thing he's still in his 40s, as he won't hit 55 before the new level cap increase and the (probably) requisite new pvp gear the devs are always so good at making us get.

I was just wondering if I was making the best of a "meh" choice. I, too, hope that 3.0 offers some positive changes.

Vanish into hidden strike to interrupt a healers cast and execute is a great thing, the 3 second root is useful as a lot of people will assume they're stunned, bad positional detection in the game means I normally run around my opponent to get backstab off anyway but the face stab does help (although I have noticed that it bugs out ALOT and the proc drops off).

There isn't really anywhere else logical to spend the points, it's not a great talent but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Wait, what do you mean by this? I've had the "faceblast" work when the target wasn't immobilized and there isn't such a requirement in the tooltip, unless I'm completely forgetting it.

By default, Backstab requires you to be behind your target. Jarring Strike (a Tier 6 Concealment ability) makes it so that Hidden Strike immobilizes the target and and removes the requirement to be behind the target for your next Backstab. When you hit an opponent, it will get the Immobilized debuff, and you will get a buff saying that your next Backstab does not need to be from behind.

I'm pretty sure that the Immobilize debuff doesn't last as long as the "not-from-behind" buff, but it's also possible that the target is immune to immobilize, or may break the immobilize, so regardless, it's possible for you to have the "not-from-behind" buff and the target not be immobilized. Also, the "not-from-behind" buff is on you, and you don't have to Backstab the target of Jarring Strike to take advantage of it, so you can Acid Blade + Hidden Strike one opponent and immobilize him and then reapply Acid Blade and full frontal Backstab another target.

Vanish into hidden strike to interrupt a healers cast and execute is a great thing, the 3 second root is useful as a lot of people will assume they're stunned, bad positional detection in the game means I normally run around my opponent to get backstab off anyway but the face stab does help (although I have noticed that it bugs out ALOT and the proc drops off).

There isn't really anywhere else logical to spend the points, it's not a great talent but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Okay, that was mostly what I was thinking about it as well. It's inconveniencing enough to some targets that it seems worth it. I know I like to displace when I'm on a healer and a stealth got the drop on me.

I actually have the opposite problem sometimes with backstab/backblast. Savvy players keep turning and lag makes it so they're magically never in range of that, no matter how I'm mashing the key and turning quickly around them. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

After returning to the game, I am utterly disappointed to see they removed the knowckdown from k.o./jarring strike.

I couldnt find any article as to why they did it. But I beg you BW - return the funny knockdown to the scoundrel and operative. This was, in my opinion, one of the best and funniest things they did. I know this sounds like some sentimental hag, but please, have it come back! I miss it so much!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.