The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW Rebels: Spark of Rebellion

DarthDymond

However, it has the same problems that I found with TCW. The villains are constantly outmaneuvered in the long run and the villain grunts are completely moronic. It's as if they are completely intent on making Stormtroopers the new Battle Droids. The Imperials, in my opinion, were nothing more than schoolyard bullies.

But as far as this premiere goes, I think it's a fair start. Certainly much better than the Clone Wars movie, that's for sure.

It's a little early to say that the villains are "constantly" outmaneuvered as we've only had a couple of episodes so far. Did you expect the bad guys to wipe the floor with the good guys in the premiere? Stormtroopers weren't exactly menacing in the original trilogy....they couldn't hit anything and they were constantly outsmarted. So that seems pretty consistent. Also, considering that:

Kallus beat Zeb in a duel in Episode 2, he seems more than capable of holding his own.

SW has always been about the main villains being the threat....not the sidekicks and flunkies. With the Inquisitor and Vader out there (and Vader is showing up in a new scene attached to the Oct. 26th re-broadcast of the premiere on ABC), they have more than enough bad guys to put these guys in periodic jeopardy. It's no different than the Clone Wars where they easily beat on droids week after week and it was only when Dooku or Grievous showed up that there was any danger. Definitely a much better start than the Clone Wars and that show got really good....and it's the same team that did Clone Wars. So I'm pretty stoked with where this show is headed. Clone Wars was much more juvenile at the start of that series with it's "Skyguy" and "Snips" banter and farting Hutt babies. It got much darker as the show went on but Rebels is ahead of their starting curve in that regard.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well written, so episode 3, or the 2nd as the first 2 episodes was aired as a giant episode, a personal reflection; I must admit that I were a bit disappointed, but I think that it has more to do with the format, the regular 22 min episode, and that the 2 first(or the 1 long) episode actually got my expectations up. I found it a bit hard to adjust to the 'new' characters for some reason, even to I know them well.

It can be that next december feel such a so long a wait, and that I really want some 'real' Star Wars to watch. The excellent music is there, the great original movies references, this time we got a

'Mos Eisely Getaway'

which felt nice, But, however, I want more that nice, I want Epic . . .

Ambivalent ?? Me ??! well - a great deal it seems ... have a good watch every one . . .

Edited by t-darko

As of the first episode I give it a 3/10.

My first impression.

Animation: God awful, I mean I get they're aiming it at kids but the entire time I saw Ezra I cringed. There is no detail in the art as a whole, it is very generic and plain and the character actions appeared either slow or choppy, and always awkward (pulling a datacron bigger than his fist from his skintight jumpsuit after being searched anyone?) I could say more but this is sufficient for now.

Characters: What exactly are their motivations?

Ezra started off pretty decent as a street kid with a loner attitude. His headstrong personality would have been perfect as a counter to the group dynamic and served as a fantastic catalyst for dynamic growth. Instead his entire personality changes in the first half of the premier and the only reason for it is to have him join the crew. Why couldn't they think of some creative reason to keep his character intact and still have him join the crew?

Kanaan was alright, kept a air of mystery about himself and served well as an exasperated rebel leader trying to help people without getting killed. His lines could be corny but they weren't awful and his character didn't have any mind-bending alterations but did steadily evolve. Not as much complaint on him.

Zeb is probably the worse. I mean, dear god how does the tough mercenary alien be so pathetic/sappy/awkward and then later display so much violence and disregard. He really should be tougher or more brotherly. I'd go with either, but they're doing a bad job of walking the line between those two. He comes across awkward (which considering some of his scenes with Ezra seems to be the point) and socially inept. At any given point the guy can go from violent, to frightened, to remorseful, to callous, to awkwardly friendly in a matter of minutes. The sad part is it seem like that's supposed to be his genuine personality. That is bad character design imo.

Sabine didn't do or say enough for me to say too much about her. Lets just say the chance of a romance between her and Ezra would be bad (unless he grows up a LOT soon or her character turns out out to be a goofy child as well). As it is, I'm not terribly disappointed and her reactions to blowing stuff up pleases me.

I liked Herra. Only one I liked. Stable but still multifaceted character with some depth and a good voice actor.

Agent Kallus was mediocre. As a starter villain he was good, and he gets better as it goes. Not loving his looks, but there isn't anything innately wrong with him.

Stormtroopers are idiots. That offends me, I still have

in my head for these guys. Yeah this is bad, I felt no peril for our heroes when they faced storm troopers, I was more worried they'd crash the speeders...

The plot had no motivation. They never mention the rebellion once, and all they do is sell or give away the goods they steal. They're sappy, yet brutal. Oh, and Sabine's comment that "in some ways we're a family" really jumps the gun. I mean, shouldn't they lead up to that and let us figure it out instead of telling us then moving on without expansion on the group dynamic?

In all the plot was terrible, the characters were (for the most part) terrible, the butchering of the lore hurt my head, the animation made me want to carve my eyeballs out of their sockets...

I will say, the scene with Kallus arriving on the planet with the walkers patrolling was great.

Looks like I'll be rewatching it on the 26th:

ABC to Air Star Wars Rebels: Spark Of Rebellion with a New Scene Featuring Darth Vader

And yes, James Earl Jones will be voicing Vader in the cameo scene they're adding:

We wanted to do something special for the ABC broadcast. We’ve added a scene which gives audiences insight into the Inquisitor and includes a cameo by Darth Vader voiced by the distinguished actor James Earl Jones.

The Storm Troopers are pretty much beyond pathetic.

A full squad of them, at point blank range, armed with state of the art rifles... and they can't even hit a man-sized droid that can barely walk at a decent pace. :rolleyes:

If this were a DnD game the DM would be throwing level 1 mobs at a level 20 party, that's how badly these guys suck in comparisson to the heroes. :p

I can't claim to have any military training, but I am fairly sure that if you are that incompetent you'll be kicked out of the training program long before you ever become a soldier.

Agent Kallus is kind of a bad*ss though, the way he fought with that electro staff until Ezra suckerpunched him with a Force Push.

The Storm Troopers are pretty much beyond pathetic.

A full squad of them, at point blank range, armed with state of the art rifles... and they can't even hit a man-sized droid that can barely walk at a decent pace. :rolleyes:

If this were a DnD game the DM would be throwing level 1 mobs at a level 20 party, that's how badly these guys suck in comparisson to the heroes. :p

I can't claim to have any military training, but I am fairly sure that if you are that incompetent you'll be kicked out of the training program long before you ever become a soldier.

Agent Kallus is kind of a bad*ss though, the way he fought with that electro staff until Ezra suckerpunched him with a Force Push.

To be fair, the Stormtrooper's terrible aim is only slightly more exaggerated in this series compared to the original trilogy. They are also fighting enemies who are equipped with the most advanced armor known to man: plot armor.

Kallus was beating the crap out of Zeb, which was pretty damned impressive considering how strong Zeb seems to be. I also thought it was pretty clever how he goaded him into the fight by using the weapon taken from his Zeb's own people.

As of the first episode I give it a 3/10.

My first impression.

Animation: God awful, I mean I get they're aiming it at kids but the entire time I saw Ezra I cringed. There is no detail in the art as a whole, it is very generic and plain and the character actions appeared either slow or choppy, and always awkward (pulling a datacron bigger than his fist from his skintight jumpsuit after being searched anyone?) I could say more but this is sufficient for now.

Characters: What exactly are their motivations?

Ezra started off pretty decent as a street kid with a loner attitude. His headstrong personality would have been perfect as a counter to the group dynamic and served as a fantastic catalyst for dynamic growth. Instead his entire personality changes in the first half of the premier and the only reason for it is to have him join the crew. Why couldn't they think of some creative reason to keep his character intact and still have him join the crew?

Kanaan was alright, kept a air of mystery about himself and served well as an exasperated rebel leader trying to help people without getting killed. His lines could be corny but they weren't awful and his character didn't have any mind-bending alterations but did steadily evolve. Not as much complaint on him.

Zeb is probably the worse. I mean, dear god how does the tough mercenary alien be so pathetic/sappy/awkward and then later display so much violence and disregard. He really should be tougher or more brotherly. I'd go with either, but they're doing a bad job of walking the line between those two. He comes across awkward (which considering some of his scenes with Ezra seems to be the point) and socially inept. At any given point the guy can go from violent, to frightened, to remorseful, to callous, to awkwardly friendly in a matter of minutes. The sad part is it seem like that's supposed to be his genuine personality. That is bad character design imo.

Sabine didn't do or say enough for me to say too much about her. Lets just say the chance of a romance between her and Ezra would be bad (unless he grows up a LOT soon or her character turns out out to be a goofy child as well). As it is, I'm not terribly disappointed and her reactions to blowing stuff up pleases me.

I liked Herra. Only one I liked. Stable but still multifaceted character with some depth and a good voice actor.

Agent Kallus was mediocre. As a starter villain he was good, and he gets better as it goes. Not loving his looks, but there isn't anything innately wrong with him.

Stormtroopers are idiots. That offends me, I still have

in my head for these guys. Yeah this is bad, I felt no peril for our heroes when they faced storm troopers, I was more worried they'd crash the speeders...

The plot had no motivation. They never mention the rebellion once, and all they do is sell or give away the goods they steal. They're sappy, yet brutal. Oh, and Sabine's comment that "in some ways we're a family" really jumps the gun. I mean, shouldn't they lead up to that and let us figure it out instead of telling us then moving on without expansion on the group dynamic?

In all the plot was terrible, the characters were (for the most part) terrible, the butchering of the lore hurt my head, the animation made me want to carve my eyeballs out of their sockets...

I will say, the scene with Kallus arriving on the planet with the walkers patrolling was great.

OooH dude, you just had to jump the gun, did ya!! I give your rant 0.1/10. All I read is "I want my Star Wars, MINE, my precious. MINE!!"

Your, seemingly obvious, begrudge of the show tells us you're a Star Wars fan and a disappointed one, unable to grasp the fact that yet again yours and our favorite thing, Star Wars, comes to us in the form and concept of a childrens show!!

Your writing considering characters, plot, story telling tells us one more thing, beside your disappointment, that you not really have come to terms with the fact that it is a CHILDRENS SHOW.

As about your grieving about the lore, didn't you get the PM; the Disney Purge is in effect, "You must unlearn all that you have learned". For your own health and sanity, you should refrain from any more viewing until you comes to term with the obvious fact; target audience for this show is 5 - 10 years old. The producers, mind you, know that we are watching so our fan candy is in the Finer details . . .

and as for;

. . .(pulling a datacron bigger than his fist from his skintight jumpsuit after being searched anyone?). . .

This is a animated cartoon and a fantasy story, not in any way a reflection of real life, or as such, not a correct description of what you can or should be able to do in Real Life!!

To be fair, the Stormtrooper's terrible aim is only slightly more exaggerated in this series compared to the original trilogy. They are also fighting enemies who are equipped with the most advanced armor known to man: plot armor.

Kallus was beating the crap out of Zeb, which was pretty damned impressive considering how strong Zeb seems to be. I also thought it was pretty clever how he goaded him into the fight by using the weapon taken from his Zeb's own people.

Yeah, I loved how Kallus taunted him into attacking. Such a low blow lol. As befits a villain. :cool:

And I agree, I was actually trying to remember whether that scene with C3-P0 wasn't in the original trilogy too. Or at least one very similar to it.

Makes me wonder if those Troopers aren't just thugs they released from some prison or recruited into some back alley and stuck some armor and a weapon on.

OooH dude, you just had to jump the gun, did ya!! I give your rant 0.1/10. All I read is "I want my Star Wars, MINE, my precious. MINE!!"

Your, seemingly obvious, begrudge of the show tells us you're a Star Wars fan and a disappointed one, unable to grasp the fact that yet again yours and our favorite thing, Star Wars, comes to us in the form and concept of a childrens show!!

Your writing considering characters, plot, story telling tells us one more thing, beside your disappointment, that you not really have come to terms with the fact that it is a CHILDRENS SHOW.

As about your grieving about the lore, didn't you get the PM; the Disney Purge is in effect, "You must unlearn all that you have learned". For your own health and sanity, you should refrain from any more viewing until you comes to term with the obvious fact; target audience for this show is 5 - 10 years old. The producers, mind you, know that we are watching so our fan candy is in the Finer details . . .

and as for;

This is a animated cartoon and a fantasy story, not in any way a reflection of real life, or as such, not a correct description of what you can or should be able to do in Real Life!!

What baffles me is why people seem to think a young target audience is synonymous with poor quality entertainment, perhaps you'd like to explain why children should be denied the right of decent television, or are somehow incapable of appreciating it. Because as far as I'm concerned you can appeal to a young audience and retain depth of story/character.

P.S. Believability is vital to any good story, and yes that applies to fantasy as well.

What baffles me is why people seem to think a young target audience is synonymous with poor quality entertainment, perhaps you'd like to explain why children should be denied the right of decent television, or are somehow incapable of appreciating it. Because as far as I'm concerned you can appeal to a young audience and retain depth of story/character.

P.S. Believability is vital to any good story, and yes that applies to fantasy as well.

So you discussed the show with many children have you?!

Abstract reasoning manifest itself generally by the age of 12, concerning girls the case is most often earlier and boys not seldom later than 12, grab any development psychology book to verify that or just google it. Before that a child's reasoning always revolves around hard contrast like good or bad(evil), black or white. Very much as most discussions on these forums.

Children know stormtroopers is bad, but not dangerous, so when the storm troopers appear they doesn't get scarred, so they can calmly sit comfortably and watch the episode. Now, agent Kallus they also know to be bad, but also mean and not always beaten that easy, here suspense grows for the younger children and might require a parent or other grown up for them to still remain watching. And lastly the Inquisitor might even get the children to run from the Tv or computer, because his' not only bad and mean, he's also evil. There for you gonna see a majority of stupid Stormtroopers being aimlessly shooting an easy to kill a majority time of the episodes(because it is a childrens show), Agent Kallus will make his regular appearance and increase the suspense and behind it the children will get a sense of the greater ominous evil that lurks in the shadows. So therefor there will be stupid stormtroopers 75% of the time, agent Kallus about 20% and the greater evil a very little amount of time or put in afterwards to satisfy the hardcore fans.

As for children and taking them serious, my friend, are you? Because they know this isn't real, because they know one can't draw out a holocron in the size of a football from a pocket that doesn't seem to be there, but most of all, they know it is make believe, they know this is only possible in fairy tales, Most of all they know that they need to make that effort to make it believable.

And on a side note; I think Disney underestimates the amount of hardcore fans that will be watching as well, therefore we gonna get many things like the announced ABC episode, it might even result in the show getting to the point where we like it much faster then what we saw in CW.

Edited by t-darko

So you discussed the show with many children have you?!

Abstract reasoning manifest itself generally by the age of 12, concerning girls the case is most often earlier and boys not seldom later than 12, grab any development psychology book to verify that or just google it. Before that a child's reasoning always revolves around hard contrast like good or bad(evil), black or white. Very much as most discussions on these forums.

Children know stormtroopers is bad, but not dangerous, so when the storm troopers appear they doesn't get scarred, so they can calmly sit comfortably and watch the episode. Now, agent Kallus they also know to be bad, but also mean and not always beaten that easy, here suspense grows for the younger children and might require a parent or other grown up for them to still remain watching. And lastly the Inquisitor might even get the children to run from the Tv or computer, because his' not only bad and mean, he's also evil. There for you gonna see a majority of stupid Stormtroopers being aimlessly shooting an easy to kill a majority time of the episodes(because it is a childrens show), Agent Kallus will make his regular appearance and increase the suspense and behind it the children will get a sense of the greater ominous evil that lurks in the shadows. So therefor there will be stupid stormtroopers 75% of the time, agent Kallus about 20% and the greater evil a very little amount of time or put in afterwards to satisfy the hardcore fans.

As for children and taking them serious, my friend, are you? Because they know this isn't real, because they know one can't draw out a holocron in the size of a football from a pocket that doesn't seem to be there, but most of all, they know it is make believe, they know this is only possible in fairy tales, Most of all they know that they need to make that effort to make it believable.

And on a side note; I think Disney underestimates the amount of hardcore fans that will be watching as well, therefore we gonna get many things like the announced ABC episode, it might even result in the show getting to the point where we like it much faster then what we saw in CW.

My apologies, but when you said this show is aimed at 5 - 10 year olds I assumed you were using hyperbole. This seems not to be the case. Disney XD is aimed at 5 to 14 year olds my friend, the same age bracket as Cartoon Network.

11 years and up and one is not going to be cowering behind a sofa whenever a scary Sith Lord appears. And is more than capable of appreciating a little bit of suspense. How do I know this? Because surprise surprise I was 11 once.

EDIT: In fact, most children these days have would have been playing FPS games by the time they are 11, if not before. And I must admit I suspect my 12 year old self would be quite insulted if you told him I was just beginning to grasp abstract reasoning.

That's almost half of their audience, (without accounting for older fans, and that very young children won't be watching an action show, which makes them the majority) again I ask, why are these children incapable of appreciating quality?

But regardless, I understand that dark themes have to be toned down for a "kids show", but this does not extend to general quality of character, animation and story, and you seem to be using it as a blanket argument for just that.

"Its a kids show its supposed to be crap" is not a valid argument.

EDIT: And in terms of believability, I don't think your really understanding the distinction between real and believable. No one is thinking fantasy is real, obviously, but even a child expects it to founded on some logical principles, even if these principles are "make believe". If a fantasy world has no logic do you really expect it to be enjoyable? Of course not.

There is of course, suspension of disbelief to be considered. But if belief were a total non factor then it could hardly be suspended. Again, "it's fantasy, Sith happens" is a lame and frankly tiresome excuse for logical inconsistencies.

Edited by Beniboybling

11 years and up and one is not going to be cowering behind a sofa whenever a scary Sith Lord appears. And is more than capable of appreciating a little bit of suspense. How do I know this? Because surprise surprise I was 11 once.

You're right, they're not scared of them.

They want to BE the scary Sith Lord with the bad*ss lightsaber(s). :p

Well personally, I watched it with my wife and 4 kids (age 13, 11, & 3). Everyone was actually sitting quietly (which is a great feat itself for the 3yr olds lol) COMPLETELY enraptured with it. We all laughed at how gullible and moronic the stormtroopers were. There were gasps :eek: when they saw "He's a Jedi!", and my 13yr old now wants pink mando armor for Halloween. Lol That in itself is enough for me to give it 2 thumbs up, and add it to the list of "family shows" that we watch together every week. :D

Self quoting from previous post in the other thread same topic

I am going to say most of the time the Storm Troopers werent actually all THAT bad. Zeb had to leave Ezra behind with just 2 of them shooting at him and they almost took his head of multiple times Agent Kalas wasnt firing on him. The only Reason Kanan was able to walk up like that was it was clearly trying to depict him using the Force to dodge the few projectiles that came his way, the rest of them were still laying down supressive fire on the rest of the crew, so werent actually shooting at him.

I felt the DUMBEST moment for the storm troopers and the one that got me was the Ezra escaping part, but the colors on those Troopers, to me suggested that they were more "cadet troopers" then actual storm troopers. I mean I havent ever seen Storm Troopers with blue on their uniform before.

I honestly dont feel the same way about Kalas as some others, I dont think he has failed all that much lately. He has been quite competent. His biggest failure to me was the Trap failure and even then it wasnt a total flop Since he captured Ezra, ultimately the only reason it failed WAS Ezra his intel had nothing on that kid and they had no reason to think their would be another person on the crew to be able to warn them in time with out the pilot getting out of the pilot seat.

The second trap failed only because of his incompetent underlings not because of his own incompetence. Had his underlings not been stupid and let Ezra out he would have succeeded in trap number 2.

And the final of course was the finding out one of your enemies is a Jedi a little to late. Something no one could have predicted. In all scenarios he did the perfect response to them. The first trap, he managed to capture and hold Ezra, the second with Ezra trying to redirect his forces he appropriately split them instead. He then figured out where they were going to go and set a trap for them there again, one that WOULD have worked had it not been for one of the crew being a Jedi as they outgunned them by quit a bit. And finally when it came to discovering a Jedi, he called the exact person he is supposed to call, the Inquisitor. Perfect Imperial Procedure.

Honestly This ISNT the BEST kids show I have seen but its FAR FAR FAR from the worst thus far and it does seem appropriately aimed at the bracket, and one I quite enjoyed. Of course they didnt mention the Rebellion itself because as far as I understand it hasnt even begun yet. There is no "rebellion" or "rebel alliance" or "alliance of free systems" yet, its just some rag tag group that wants to help.

Edited by tunewalker

The fact that they mishandled Kessel so profoundly basically ruined this series for me right off the bat. If they can't even get the fact that Kessel in an asteroid right, I can't imagine what other lore they'll screw over for literally no reason.

Kessel's asteroid status is what made it unique, and Star Wars planets are great because of their uniqueness. It's extremely discouraging to see unique aspects of the Star Wars universe rewritten for no apparent reason. And if it's because they didn't want to animate an asteroid planet or asteroid belt, that's just plain cheap.

I've only watched the first episode. Overall, it's about what I expected, which isn't necessarily a good thing. But I'll withhold further judgement on the series as a whole until I see more.

The fact that they mishandled Kessel so profoundly basically ruined this series for me right off the bat. If they can't even get the fact that Kessel in an asteroid right, I can't imagine what other lore they'll screw over for literally no reason.

Kessel's asteroid status is what made it unique, and Star Wars planets are great because of their uniqueness. It's extremely discouraging to see unique aspects of the Star Wars universe rewritten for no apparent reason. And if it's because they didn't want to animate an asteroid planet or asteroid belt, that's just plain cheap.

Actually I believe it was stated for Kessel the writers of Rebels constructed it using George Lucas' original notes and wishes for the planet. So while it's not what I would have preferred, to complain it was mishandled is incorrect.

Same with Mandalore's portrayal in the Clone Wars. They were what George Lucas wanted them to be.

Edited by CaulderBenson

My apologies, but when you said this show is aimed at 5 - 10 year olds I assumed you were using hyperbole. This seems not to be the case. Disney XD is aimed at 5 to 14 year olds my friend, the same age bracket as Cartoon Network.

EDIT: In fact, most children these days have would have been playing FPS games by the time they are 11, if not before. And I must admit I suspect my 12 year old self would be quite insulted if you told him I was just beginning to grasp abstract reasoning.

That's almost half of their audience, (without accounting for older fans, and that very young children won't be watching an action show, which makes them the majority) again I ask, why are these children incapable of appreciating quality?

But regardless, I understand that dark themes have to be toned down for a "kids show", but this does not extend to general quality of character, animation and story, and you seem to be using it as a blanket argument for just that.

"Its a kids show its supposed to be crap" is not a valid argument.

EDIT: And in terms of believability, I don't think your really understanding the distinction between real and believable. No one is thinking fantasy is real, obviously, but even a child expects it to founded on some logical principles, even if these principles are "make believe". If a fantasy world has no logic do you really expect it to be enjoyable? Of course not.

There is of course, suspension of disbelief to be considered. But if belief were a total non factor then it could hardly be suspended. Again, "it's fantasy, Sith happens" is a lame and frankly tiresome excuse for logical inconsistencies.

*smiles*

It's quite obvious that the point of view, you always count as correct, is the one your self presenting . . . so I see no need in a further debate. It is quite plain that the argument for the wish and eagerness of this show to be bad, in your argument, is much stronger, than a wish for a nuanced discussion. And you are clearly an expert on the topic, both children and Star Wars. Add to that the fact that you rather support a rant, than a discussion of what impact the show will have on Canonlore, a fact I find some what saddening, and i can't understand the eagerness to support the never ending "ooh they broke my Star Wars" rants that we see in abundance.

Good luck on mending your Star Wars soul, it's very clear that you aren't through with your ranting phase yet. But when you are, I'll be happy to part take in your insights in a discussion, 'cos I know you know your Star Wars EU . . .

. . . and I'll say it again, if SW:Rebels is the alibi Disney need to make us the Star Wars movie we want, then let them have at it

EDIT; as for "Its a kids show its supposed to be crap" isn't a statement I ever made, I have also never claimed that the show is the greatest gift to Si-Fi since the Lightsaber, I have merely tried to get through a message that states; SW;Rebels, good or Bad, and 'frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn', is presented as canon, my only interest is a discussion over what is changed, verified or built on regarding the EU. And yes I regard silly obligatory Star Wars rants as a waste of space, it has become an automatic reflex in the average SW fan and I see no love in it, only a childish scream and a lack of insight that the Star Wars in our heart and soul never will be captured in any media if not created by every individual by itself. If were lucky someone some time manage to capture and create the very thing we want to see the most in Star Wars. And the chance that it will get any better than E4 and 5 are very slim.

Edited by t-darko

*smiles*

It's quite obvious that the point of view, you always count as correct, is the one your self presenting . . . so I see no need in a further debate. It is quite plain that the argument for the wish and eagerness of this show to be bad, in your argument, is much stronger, than a wish for a nuanced discussion. And you are clearly an expert on the topic, both children and Star Wars. Add to that the fact that you rather support a rant, than a discussion of what impact the show will have on Canonlore, a fact I find some what saddening, and i can't understand the eagerness to support the never ending "ooh they broke my Star Wars" rants that we see in abundance.

Good luck on mending your Star Wars soul, it's very clear that you aren't through with your ranting phase yet. But when you are, I'll be happy to part take in your insights in a discussion, 'cos I know you know your Star Wars EU . . .

. . . and I'll say it again, if SW:Rebels is the alibi Disney need to make us the Star Wars movie we want, then let them have at it

EDIT; as for "Its a kids show its supposed to be crap" isn't a statement I ever made, I have also never claimed that the show is the greatest gift to Si-Fi since the Lightsaber, I have merely tried to get through a message that states; SW;Rebels, good or Bad, and 'frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn', is presented as canon, my only interest is a discussion over what is changed, verified or built on regarding the EU. And yes I regard silly obligatory Star Wars rants as a waste of space, it has become an automatic reflex in the average SW fan and I see no love in it, only a childish scream and a lack of insight that the Star Wars in our heart and soul never will be captured in any media if not created by every individual by itself. If were lucky someone some time manage to capture and create the very thing we want to see the most in Star Wars. And the chance that it will get any better than E4 and 5 are very slim.

Forgive me, but you didn't come across as the sort of person capable of having a "nuanced discussion" so I tailored my response accordingly. And frankly my opinion remains unchanged.

Anyway I really don't know what your on about, all I was doing was pointing out what I perceived to be a logical flaw in your response to Star, an a priori statement if you will, totally exclusive of how good or bad the show actually is.

Edited by Beniboybling

OK so I just watched the first pilot episode, the beginning was, well as crappy as it was in the preview, but it got a lot better from then on, and actually turned into a decent show. That said I found the pace was a bit... plodding, I definitely prefer the TCW style which threw you right into the thick of it, you were never bored, the pace here seemed a lot slower.

I just hope as the show and when the stakes are raised the pace will pick up a bit, because at times I lost interest.

Agent Kallus is a decent villain, must admit he's a tad bland. He's no Ventress, no Dooku, no Grievous. Not even a Trench. Which is a bit left of field TBH coming from Filoni & co. Hopefully the Inquisitor will bring in a bit more character.

However what I really want the most is quality, I'm hoping beyond all hope that as this show gains momentum Disney will stop being total cheapskates and put some funding into this show for goodness sake. The animation leaves much to be desired, at best its tolerable, at worst its an eye-sore (those Wookiees, good god).

The main cast is strong, but so many background characters fall flat, and that hurts the show, hire some decent actors! I would also love to see more a celebrity cast, like in TCW, I realise the Bank of George is not longer around, but come on.

There is much room for improvement, but its in Disney's best interests to improve.

Major lawls! It just ain't working out for you is it? Bet you love TCW now, right right?

Everyone loves TCW now right!?

and as for;

I have no issue with quality entertainment directed at a younger audience. But unless they're aiming at a 3-6 age group here I fail to see how the quality of the show must be this far reduced in order for it to be "kid friendly".

The Original Trilogy wasn't even close to being this sappy or goofy, or low quality. It had its moments, but Rebels has a long way to go to reach the "OT feel" benchmark they repeatedly set for themselves. . I'll tell you, I said something similar to this at the start of Clone Wars, but by their 3-4th seasons they'd improved (and that isn't in reference to getting darker) and if this series works to find a less goofy, more refined sense of what they're trying to accomplish I might come back and change my mind on some things

I've watched plenty of cartoons in my life, and I can appreciate when something is meant for the kids, but this show has some basic issues (some of which were in my comment) that lower the quality for everyone EVEN KIDS. So until those are addressed my opinion stands

Now I'll readily and shamelessly admit some of the things (like the datacron and Zeb's personality) are nitpicky and things that I more or less take issue with. But if you read it without trying to just get what you want out of it in order to try and discredit me or make yourself feel better, you'd see that I conceded many points on story and plot, with an OVERALL determination that it wasn't very good. I didn't say it was all crap and no one should ever watch it.

But regardless of all of that, that's my opinion, and why the hell are you so sensitive about this show? Some random dude on the internet doesn't like it, big whoop why do you care?

Also, about the lore, the hell? I mean, I know the purge is in effect (though many, many things are being saved in some form or another so get off your horse) I just didn't appreciate some of the changes. Doesn't mean I don't accept them, but again my opinion which I am honestly entitled to as much as you are.

Edited by StarSquirrel