The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy datacrons

Daemonxel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since datacrons give a stat bonus, wouldn't that be pay-to-win?

This. Though I would pay just to have a legacy Codex. Then my BH could read up on Page rsons of Interest for my SW without me having to switch characters. Mostly for when I want to find a good does at the NPC I hated.

And you only get the codex achievements once per legacy, so...

/signed

It may be fun to run around on all planets once or twice but not when you'e got already several 55s lvl'd up.. then it just becomes a pain...

The wonderful thing about datacrons is the they are completely OPTIONAL. No one is forced to find them.

If you do not want to find them with a particular character, you don't have to bother finding them. However, choosing NOT to find the datacrons with that character means that character does NOT get the stat bonuses.

If you want that character to get the stat bonuses, then you simply have to put forth the effort to find the datacrons with that character.

The wonderful thing about datacrons is the they are completely OPTIONAL. No one is forced to find them.

If you do not want to find them with a particular character, you don't have to bother finding them. However, choosing NOT to find the datacrons with that character means that character does NOT get the stat bonuses.

If you want that character to get the stat bonuses, then you simply have to put forth the effort to find the datacrons with that character.

If somebody has put effort already twice on both sides to gather them all (republic and imperial) I see no reason to not have an option to unlock it for legacy. Why would I do same thing multiple times over and over which is nothing else but time consuming ? Following your logic.... unlocking it for legacy would also be OPTIONAL. You can go around and gather them over again on your own but don't tell people what can or cannot be implemented into legacy perks.

If somebody has put effort already twice on both sides to gather them all (republic and imperial) I see no reason to not have an option to unlock it for legacy. Why would I do same thing multiple times over and over which is nothing else but time consuming ? Following your logic.... unlocking it for legacy would also be OPTIONAL. You can go around and gather them over again on your own but don't tell people what can or cannot be implemented into legacy perks.

OK. Let's extend your logic.

Player A has already leveled and fully geared several characters on both factions. He has done multiple NM Ops to get BIS gear. He has all of his companions at max affection and all companion unlocks.

He has already put forth the effort on both sides. Should he be able to create max level characters with BIS gear, all of his crew skills at max, with all recipes learned, and all companions at max affection, with all companion unlocks? Should he be given a legacy unlock to instantly boost eacj and every one of his characters, PRESENT AND FUTURE, to max level with BIS gear, all of his crew skills at max, with all recipes learned, all companions at max affection with all companion unlocks? After all, he already put forth the effort for not just one, but multiple characters.

Player B has geared a character on each side with full BIS PVP gear. Should be be given a legacy unlock so that each and every one of his characters, PRESENT AND FUTURE, be handed BIS PVP gear? After all, he already put forth the effort once, right?

[quote=Ratajack;7703904

]OK. Let's extend your logic.

Stop trying to straw man other people's suggestions with your slippery slope fallacy or dictate what they can suggest. You are not a moderator, nor are you an employee of Bioware.

Bioware have set the precedent that "work" can be translated into a paid optional Legacy Unlock - HK-51

Bioware have set the precedent that unlocks can be acquired that give advantages - Equipment, Powers, Stat Crystals, Companion unlocks.

The suggestion is to have an optional paid legacy unlock of Datacrons. This suggestion is well within the precedent's established in this game.

Stop trying to straw man other people's suggestions with your slippery slope fallacy or dictate what they can suggest. You are not a moderator, nor are you an employee of Bioware.

Bioware have set the precedent that "work" can be translated into a paid optional Legacy Unlock - HK-51

Bioware have set the precedent that unlocks can be acquired that give advantages - Equipment, Powers, Stat Crystals, Companion unlocks.

The suggestion is to have an optional paid legacy unlock of Datacrons. This suggestion is well within the precedent's established in this game.

Nowhere did I "dictate what they can suggest". However, it is well within the forum policies that I can voice my disagreement with those suggestions.

I believe that datacron stat bonuses should remain in the "have to be earned per character" category. It would appear that the devs share my opinion.

I point you to this link:

http://torwars.com/swtor-community-cantina-san-francisco-food-drinks-and-a-lot-of-laughter/

Which includes the following:

-I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes.

I also believe that Eric Musco has made a statement that legacy datacrons are highly unlikely as they would likely require the a compete redesign of the datacron system.

OK. Let's extend your logic.

Player A has already leveled and fully geared several characters on both factions. He has done multiple NM Ops to get BIS gear. He has all of his companions at max affection and all companion unlocks.

He has already put forth the effort on both sides. Should he be able to create max level characters with BIS gear, all of his crew skills at max, with all recipes learned, and all companions at max affection, with all companion unlocks? Should he be given a legacy unlock to instantly boost eacj and every one of his characters, PRESENT AND FUTURE, to max level with BIS gear, all of his crew skills at max, with all recipes learned, all companions at max affection with all companion unlocks? After all, he already put forth the effort for not just one, but multiple characters.

Player B has geared a character on each side with full BIS PVP gear. Should be be given a legacy unlock so that each and every one of his characters, PRESENT AND FUTURE, be handed BIS PVP gear? After all, he already put forth the effort once, right?

Gearing up alt character is hardly an effort since I can do it in 1h or so to send him 168/180 mods via legacy from my main which has alot of commendations.

Also as someone stated above, obtaining HK-51 takes alot of time too and yet it's unlockable in legacy perks. And yes IT DOES AFFECT STATS since HK is geared up by default in decent mods rating and if you choose to unlock him at let's say 10th lvl alt you will have stat/dmg advantage over another players that use basic ingame companions.

Your logic is flawed. If you don't want legacy datacrons because of "stat imbalance" you should also be against HK and Treek legacy perks. Don't be a hypocrite.

Why would I do same thing multiple times over and over which is nothing else but time consuming ?

Dailies.

Speaking for myself, I do dailies (Warzones, Flashpoints, Event-Specific, Etc.) on multiple characters. Daily. I think it's fair to suggest that many others do the same thing. Daily.

So why is it acceptable to do multiple dailies on multiple characters, daily, yet it's a big freak-out to do one thing once (each Datacron) on each of those same characters?

Gearing up alt character is hardly an effort since I can do it in 1h or so to send him 168/180 mods via legacy from my main which has alot of commendations.

Also as someone stated above, obtaining HK-51 takes alot of time too and yet it's unlockable in legacy perks. And yes IT DOES AFFECT STATS since HK is geared up by default in decent mods rating and if you choose to unlock him at let's say 10th lvl alt you will have stat/dmg advantage over another players that use basic ingame companions.

Your logic is flawed. If you don't want legacy datacrons because of "stat imbalance" you should also be against HK and Treek legacy perks. Don't be a hypocrite.

NO. You are wrong.

HK-51 does NOT affect your CHARACTER'S STATS. He is a COMPANION. He may be stronger than the basic companions and available sooner, but that is it. You cannot take him into WZ's, but those CHARACTER stat bonuses from datacrons DO go into a WZ with you. You cannot use him in a full group, but you DO get the benefit of those CHARACTER stat bonuses from datacrons.

Being able to send gear from your main to your alt via legacy gear and commendations is far different than giving a player a legacy perk to HAND HIM BIS gear on EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, present and future.

Dailies.

Speaking for myself, I do dailies (Warzones, Flashpoints, Event-Specific, Etc.) on multiple characters. Daily. I think it's fair to suggest that many others do the same thing. Daily.

So why is it acceptable to do multiple dailies on multiple characters, daily, yet it's a big freak-out to do one thing once (each Datacron) on each of those same characters?

Dude.. I don't think you understand whatt are we talking about here.. Your post doesn't make sense. Dailes/warzones/ops/flashpoints are what this game is all about., lol. Read again title, please.

NO. You are wrong.

HK-51 does NOT affect your CHARACTER'S STATS. He is a COMPANION. He may be stronger than the basic companions and available sooner, but that is it. You cannot take him into WZ's, but those CHARACTER stat bonuses from datacrons DO go into a WZ with you. You cannot use him in a full group, but you DO get the benefit of those CHARACTER stat bonuses from datacrons.

Being able to send gear from your main to your alt via legacy gear and commendations is far different than giving a player a legacy perk to HAND HIM BIS gear on EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, present and future.

Nope, you are wrong and here is why. Let's put companions aside then.

People buy stuff to gear up from GTN for CREDITS, hilts, mods, relics are only one example. That means you don't have to put effort to get them but you can just simply pay for it (how hard is it to you earn credits is a different matter). In other words - people pay for better stats right now and somehow you don't object. Of course they can also create them by themselves by crafting. Same goes for datacrons - people can gather them by themselves to boost their stats or they could just buy legacy perks for credits/cc once they've already did

Edited by Satelle

Dude.. I don't think you understand whatt are we talking about here.. Your post doesn't make sense. Dailes/warzones/ops/flashpoints are what this game is all about., lol. Read again title, please.

Datacrons are a part of this game also. They are an OPTIONAL part of this game, as are OPS, FP's or dailies.

Nope, you are wrong and here is why. Let's put companions aside then.

People buy stuff to gear up from GTN for CREDITS, hilts, mods, relics are only one example. That means you don't have to put effort to get them but you can just simply pay for it (how hard is it to you earn credits is a different matter). In other words - people pay for better stats right now and somehow you don't object. Of course they can also create them by themselves by crafting. Same goes for datacrons - people can gather them by themselves to boost heir stats or they could just buy legacy perks for credits/cc once they've already did

First:

If player A purchases a mod on the GTN for credits, he had to earn those credits somehow. How much effort was required to do so varies, but those credits had to be EARNED. They were not just handed to him for even one character, let alone for each and every character, present and future.

Second:

If player A purchases a mod on the GTN, he only gets ONE mod. He does not get an identical or even a class appropriate equivalent mod, for each and every character he has, present and future. He must purchase multiple mods if he wishes to gear all of his characters. Even if you count legacy gear, there is still only ONE mod, not multiple mods simply because he purchased one mod.

If player A purchases an earpiece, relic or implant on the GTN, he only gets ONE earpiece, relic or implant. He does not get an identical or even a class appropriate equivalent earpiece, relic or implant, for each and every character he has, present and future. He must purchase multiple earpieces, relics or implants if he wishes to gear all of his characters.

If player A does dailies on ONE character, he gets the rewards for that ONE character. He does NOT get the rewards on each and every character he has, present and future. If player A wants the rewards on multiple characters, he must do those dailies on each of those characters.

If player A loots a piece of gear in an OP or FP, he gets ONE piece of gear, not one for each and every character he has, present and future. If player A wants an equivalent piece of gear on multiple characters, he must do that OP or FP on each of those characters.

If player A finds a datacron on one of his characters, he gets the reward ( a stat bonus) for that ONE character, not for each and every character he has, present and future. If he wants that stat bonus for multiple characters, he must find that datacron with each of those characters.

Legacy gear can allow for the transfer of a SINGLE set of mods between characters. It does NOT give each and every character, present and future, that a player has an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, set of mods. In addition, the stat bonuses from datacrons cannot be transferred between characters, so legacy gear is not equivalent to legacy stat bonuses from datacrons.

Legacy datacrons would hand the player MULTIPLE rewards for effort put forth by only ONE character.

I understand all too well what you are talking about.

Every few months someone like you comes in here balls-out thinking they have an awesomely original idea about Datacrons (which it is neither awesome nor original) and every time it goes nowhere cuz they've already said it won't be done, as Ratajack has clearly pointed out, and they also said to my face at the Vancouver Cantina Tour stop a few months ago when I asked them about it.

Also, here are a bunch of discussions on this very topic of which I've participated in many: http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?searchid=5133000 You, however, have not been a part of, yet insinuate that you know all about it and I know nothing.

So, rather than continue this pointless crusade, please just review what's already been said and go back to the game.

First:

If player A purchases a mod on the GTN for credits, he had to earn those credits somehow. How much effort was required to do so varies, but those credits had to be EARNED. They were not just handed to him for even one character, let alone for each and every character, present and future.

Second:

If player A purchases a mod on the GTN, he only gets ONE mod. He does not get an identical or even a class appropriate equivalent mod, for each and every character he has, present and future. He must purchase multiple mods if he wishes to gear all of his characters. Even if you count legacy gear, there is still only ONE mod, not multiple mods simply because he purchased one mod.

If player A purchases an earpiece, relic or implant on the GTN, he only gets ONE earpiece, relic or implant. He does not get an identical or even a class appropriate equivalent earpiece, relic or implant, for each and every character he has, present and future. He must purchase multiple earpieces, relics or implants if he wishes to gear all of his characters.

If player A does dailies on ONE character, he gets the rewards for that ONE character. He does NOT get the rewards on each and every character he has, present and future. If player A wants the rewards on multiple characters, he must do those dailies on each of those characters.

If player A loots a piece of gear in an OP or FP, he gets ONE piece of gear, not one for each and every character he has, present and future. If player A wants an equivalent piece of gear on multiple characters, he must do that OP or FP on each of those characters.

If player A finds a datacron on one of his characters, he gets the reward ( a stat bonus) for that ONE character, not for each and every character he has, present and future. If he wants that stat bonus for multiple characters, he must find that datacron with each of those characters.

Legacy gear can allow for the transfer of a SINGLE set of mods between characters. It does NOT give each and every character, present and future, that a player has an identical, or class appropriate equivalent, set of mods. In addition, the stat bonuses from datacrons cannot be transferred between characters, so legacy gear is not equivalent to legacy stat bonuses from datacrons.

Legacy datacrons would hand the player MULTIPLE rewards for effort put forth by only ONE character.

So? Legacy gear already DOES THAT.You can transfer all earned commendations from one main character to many others. One or not, my point still remains - stat boosting for credits. Dude seriously... you would put as much effort in earning credits to buy legacy perks as in buying mods on GTN. I didn't say how much would it cost though so arguing about this trivial issue is pointless since you haven't proved me wrong at all. Legacy gear allows you to transfer as many mods as you like to as many characters as you like. End of.

I understand all too well what you are talking about.

Every few months someone like you comes in here balls-out thinking they have an awesomely original idea about Datacrons (which it is neither awesome nor original) and every time it goes nowhere cuz they've already said it won't be done, as Ratajack has clearly pointed out, and they also said to my face at the Vancouver Cantina Tour stop a few months ago when I asked them about it.

Also, here are a bunch of discussions on this very topic of which I've participated in many: http://www.swtor.com/community/search.php?searchid=5133000 You, however, have not been a part of, yet insinuate that you know all about it and I know nothing.

So, rather than continue this pointless crusade, please just review what's already been said and go back to the game.

First - it wasn't my idea but I support it. And I know it's been talked here about many times, I'm here since beta you know, So you don't have to school me, it's more like the other way around.

Secondly - you come out like some weirdo out of nowhere and take my sentence out of context to prove me.. "something"?

Thirdl - I've never heard devs saying 'it never will be done'. It could be said to you at cantina tour but it never was said on forums to general public Same goes for chat bubbles, fraction change, AC change and so on. There were already many things that wasn't meant to ever be in this game and yet they showed up eventually.

Fourth - You said "So why is it acceptable to do multiple dailies on multiple characters, daily, yet it's a big freak-out to do one thing once (each Datacron) on each of those same characters?" - How about you ask devs at next cantina tour about reasoning of putting HK legacy perks then? After all it must have been a "freak-out" as you stated since they really implemented it, you know; so you don't have to do this all over on other alts but only one character.

People like you remind me of all trolls I ever met on internet.

Edited by Satelle