add "Copy Name" to right-click menu

anonnn

There's a menu that pops up when you right-click a player's name in the chat log, on their portrait, or in the group list.

This menu should have a menu option "Copy Name" that would copy that person's name to the clipboard for pasting into mail message "To:" lines, making /tell messages, granting Stronghold keys, inviting to guild, etc etc. This is a very basic capability that is badly needed since there are so many players with unfamiliar characters in their names that most people don't know how to type.

Although I would prefer it if people stopped naming their characters the likes of Révàn and Vãdër.

I'd rather see a system to fix that, instead. Or, better yet, a naming system that actually lets us have the names we want; without having to resort to these not-available-on-any-english-keyboard characters. And I'm not even talking about the Revan and Nihilus wannabes.

What works for me is when you right-click their name in the chatbox, say whisper, and now I have a selectable version of their name. I simply select the name, Ctrl+X, and I can paste it where ever I please.

That works if you're seeing their name in chat, though it requires kind of a lot of exact clicking to get it done.

Also, consider the situation where you're in an Ops group and you want to send mail to someone, or send them a /tell ...and their name in the group list doesn't offer a "Whisper" option for some reason so you can't copy the exact text of their name.

The best solution I think is to just add a "Copy Name" option to all right-clicks on a player representation, whether it be their name in chat, their name box in the group list, or the character portrait of your selected target. The time when this most helps is when you want to send mail to the person and you absolutely require an EXACT name match. But it's also hugely useful for getting their name pasteable for sending /tell's several times over a large amount of time (for example, if they're the group leader of an Ops group you're going to join when you finish the FP you're almost done with). The cool thing is that Copy-Paste remains even if you log to another character, which I use all the time if I need to log to a different role character.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
For names that use funky characters, this is often the ONLY way a person can figure out how to type the name into the command line. This is badly needed and would save a lot of time in a lot of instances. Not having this feature makes it sometimes impossible to do certain tasks that require a person to type the player's name.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.