The Jedi Code: A challenge!

TrueNovaZero

So on one of the roleplaying communities I'm a part of, discussing many concepts when it comes to Jedi is about as expected as it can ever get when it comes to building and maintaining a character.

Over the course of community events in in-character interactions, one of the things that gets hotly debated is the Jedi code itself. The version that all are familiar with is this one, it begins with: "There is no emotion, there is peace."

Here's the thing. You take those words and the rest of the code and it feels so wrong. Its interpretation goes out of control when left in the hands of a community that idly speculates on what it can and might mean. The truth, however, is that there's many sources that actually go into explaining each tenet of the Jedi code and each part that a Jedi is supposed to hold.

Now here comes the challenge. In any difficult debate -- when it comes to what the Jedi were and what they are now vs what they are in the future? This variant of the Jedi code crops up -- it begins with "Emotion, yet peace." In a recent debate, the wording of it is key to the body of our arguments but one sharp member of the community pointed out one thing I have yet been able to answer. It's this.

There is no source material that actually states that code.

It's driven me nuts trying to disprove because I could have SWORN I saw it somewhere. Yet, when reading through my materials I couldn't find it. And before you ask? Yes, I'm aware it's on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_code, but look through the references. I don't see any of them that actually openly state that particular version of the code. Now I may be limited -- I do not own everything Star Wars. But for any who might be more knowledgeable than I, I ask of you.

Please, enlighten me. Where can this original version be found?

To be clear! I am not asking for thoughts on the interpretation of the Jedi code. I've seen it discussed over and it's done to death, rather, I'm seeking proof of a particular piece that has thus far eluded me.

I'm not sure about that. You'd have to look through star wars books since it's prevalent enough across the web that it definitely came from somewhere. Probably. But, the Je'dii order code which predates the sith and Jedi is probably what makes sense. Although they believed in Balance and that the light AND dark corrupted people. Probably because Tython actively tries to kill people who are to imbalanced.

Je'daii Order

"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force."

Funnily enough, if you read through the talk page of the Wookiee article, you'll see that the "original code" has been on the page for more than 3 years (!) without referencing a source for it. Which is odd, really, most wikis are after that sort of thing.

Have you checked the sources given for Odan-Urr working on the Jedi Code in his article? Maybe it's from one of those?

Edited by Darkelefantos

I don't want to start a new thread on this subject, but I was wondering if someone could please post their interpretations of the Jedi Code, the Tython's Je'daii Code, and the Sith Codes. I can at least help out with Sith Code, I even have a thread made for that. The Jedi and Je'daii Codes hasn't had a thread done on them in quite a while. A search shows nothing on the subjects. Thank you. Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info

The Jedi Code

There is no emotion, there is peace.

This principle guides all meditations and interactions with all others. It reaffirms the Jedi ideal to act without recklessness, and to view the actions of others through the pure lens of the Unifying Force.

Do not allow emotions to influence your actions and interactions with others.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

Those who don't understand this basic precept are quick to fear-and fear is the path to the dark side. The Archives represent the greatest collection of knowledge in the Galaxy.

Pretty self-explanatory. Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to the dark side.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

A subtle extrapolation of the first precept, this reminder to act dispassionately in every deliberation extends to personal obsessions and is a reminder not to elevate the self above the mission.

Expanding on the first precept. Do not become obsessed with things, events or people. As it will bring about emotions that will lead to the Dark Side. (Anakins obsession with saving Padme)

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

Those who cannot see the threads uniting all life view existence as random and without purpose. The Jedi perceive the structure and will of the many galaxies.

Everything is meant to happen.

There is no death, there is the Force.

All things die, but the Force lives on. As beings who exist as shades of the Force, the end of our existence in this form is not to be overly mourned. We are part of an energy larger than ourselves, and we play roles in a cosmic fabric that outstrip our incarnate understanding.

Do not fear death, and do not dwell on the deaths of others for too long. To return to the Force is the last journey a Jedi can take.

Excerpt from - The Jedi Path, Page 6-7

Edited by Foxtrotmikelima

I think the actual Code and the mantra listed on the Wookieepedia are different, but I may be wrong.

Regardless, the Code was spoken by Master Luminara Unduli in the 2003 Clone Wars animated series. Other than that, I can't recall another source off the top of my head.

Can't add much to the interpretation of the Jedi Code already given, except to say that it's not meant to be taken completely literally. I've seen too many people look at the first line, say "but of course there's emotion, we're not robots" and proceed to miss the point. It's a kōan, a seeming impossibility that nudges your mind into thinking through it, not about it.

You can treat it as a mantra and live your life by its surface meaning, and you'd likely make a perfectly good Jedi if you did, but I think realising that the words and their meaning aren't what's important is what makes a Jedi Master. There's a Buddhist emphasis on truth over meaning there. What's really true, what's really important in life - and what's just a distraction?

Getting you to realise that is what the Jedi Code is actually for.

Edited by smartalectwo