Dear EA, A suggestion

Ivy_Blackrose

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With how flooded the GTN is with new CM stuff every pack, I doubt it's a small group of people.

This... people buying several hypercrates, either selling individually, or as the hypercrate itself. The hyper crate is generally about $50 or more depending on the exchange rate.

People buying packs upon packs.... Every Cartel Market item you see in the GTN was purchased for RL Monies by someone before it was posted to the GTN.

It may contribute to the game's financial success, but it hurts the game in that it encourages eaware to invest more into milking a relatively small number of people for cosmetic item purchases, rather than improving the actual game and making it more desirable to real gamers that prefer to actually pve and pvp rather than just play dress up and house.

Reality disagrees with you.

This game has been a financial boom for EAware the last few quarters and it is a direct result of a business model that is working. Money doesn't fall from the sky.

... Wow. $300 in three weeks between two people? Please tell me you have been playing the game itself because playing dress up is nice and all, but the dress up is a small part of the game.

And that's coming from someone who enjoys the dress up part of the game. But as said up thread, the Cartel Market is a sliver of the game's content.

Really? All this sparked from a guy who is going to quit spending money and playing the game simply because he can't unlock a single type of CC purchase (GSF ship) for his legacy?

Oh noes, that's so outrageous it surely made all the other things you enjoyed in the game count for nothing :rolleyes:

Here's a thought: only play GSF on one char per faction, or just main a Bomber on the char you bought the Onslaught and main something else on other chars. God forbid you'd have to do something different on alts.

Because of various design problems, you are intended to play Galactic Starfighter mostly on one character. You might have noticed that your progression in Galactic Starfighter is unique on a per character basis. They're not expecting a player to buy a ship multiple times, they're expecting to buy it once on their main Galactic Starfighter character.

... Wow. $300 in three weeks between two people? Please tell me you have been playing the game itself because playing dress up is nice and all, but the dress up is a small part of the game.

And that's coming from someone who enjoys the dress up part of the game. But as said up thread, the Cartel Market is a sliver of the game's content.

Personal conquest done on each toon, , guild currently in 5th place on sec x, running ops, dailies, FPs, some NiM progression. I guess that counts as playing the game.

But if I choose to spend $1000 on CM packs, change outfits every 5 second and just sit in my decorated stronghold what does it matter? It's my time and money. My definition of fun is going to be different than others (and likely the majority of players) so as long as I'm getting my money's worth, I'm happy.

I played this game back when it was pay to play and the cash shop was a small entity and you know what? it was boring as heck, matter a fact it was so boring that I left the game after 3 weeks of playing, I had 2 characters to level 50 and I just wasn't interested in the game anymore. now I have come back to the game for Strongholds because I Love housing, it is one of the mainr eason I play MMORPGS, and I can guarantee you there are a LOT of other gamers just like me who love Housing as well, that being said it was brilliant to add it to the game, also the cash shop we have here, is one of the BEST Free 2 Play cash shops in the MMORPG world, being the ONLY one of its kind that allows u to actually pay a % more to unlock items for your entire account, THESE two factors ALONE brought me back to the game, and how engaging they are or arent is what will make me STAY or LEAVE, oh and btw since I came back I have gotten full pvp gear full 162/180 raid gear in 3 weeks and all 4 strongholds, so yeah HOW is the CM ruining the game for me and others like me again? just curious

The only issue I have with the CM is the steep price for mounts and specific dyes, plus the fact you can't remove dyes afterwards.

Over a monthly fee price for a dye or a mount feels like stealing to me. But that's a personal view...

I find it funny that rather than address/discuss the op's concern, people intstead choose to berate/ have issues with how the op and others chooses to play the game. They should be thankful people are dropping real coin in the CM. I for one thank the op for that! What's it to you how they choose to play? Spending RL $ in the CM doesn't affect your gameplay, except maybe the fact that people who drop real coin arguably allow you to continue playing a game you love.

Regarding the op's initial concern, I only played GSF for a month or so when it released but I do seem to remember ships & skills were character specific and not shared amoung other toons on your account. To me, that seems to make the argument for only allowing one toon to access GSF specific CM items legit. But, you can ask for change and if you get enough support it may just happen.

It replaces an MMORPG (game being key) with primarily the contents of pack shipments.

The latter adds to the base game in a great way. But if new players are focusing in the first 3 weeks they are playing on pack contents or generally "shopping," they are less likely becoming as engaged with the various class and planetary stories, exposing themselves to the 20 different skill trees (40 if you count the mirrors) and how combat really works in SWTOR, trying out PvP and understanding each WZ well, learning how to play a preferred AC properly in a group setting, and, globally, the multitude systems that were and continue to be developed.

I believe this leads to folks that are worse for the game in the long run, because many simply aren't as engaged with playing it. This can affect everything from subscriber retention, player aptitude, or even content development.

Not necessarily.... lots of ppl myself included, spend a lot of time trying to get our characters look and feel just right. Especially once you get to fleet for the first time. And a person who's invested that kinda bread to get a "look" is likely to be playing for a long time. They're more than likely to go thru every story, try everything the game has to offer, and make several alts. If anything, they're likely to be even more engaged and stay around even longer because they have more rl money invested than someone who just gets everything thru an "endless grind".

honestly I was looking and hoping for support to get these kind of things added as unlockables per account, my reasoning is simple, EA has a system that works in their cash shop, this has been proven by the fact that SWTOR has pretty good financials at this point and time because of the cash shop, it would really benefit EA to realize that ships is one thing they can really afford to allow players to unlock on an account basis, treek is a 20 dollar investment, and they allow it to be unlocked for all characters (btw i bought that too). as far as being invested in the game? I have 12 characters each character is developing its own back story, personality, and fashion trend, for the character AND its companions, each character is looking to make its own name for itself, AND my wife is doing the same thing. as far as being rich? no actually I am on a fixed income, I just happen to have money saved up, and if the game DOES continue to cater to the players, I would be willing to budget in my cash shop spending, but really this is about support for getting the ships unlockable to the account, not about my spending habits or lack of, some ppl drink beer, some ppl smoke cigarrettes, I play video games, is it a crime for me to spend money doing what I love? BTW heres food for thought, a game that makes money STAYS OPEN, a game that doesnt make money SHUTS DOWN, you need to decide what you would rather see, I believe in supporting the game I love Edited by Ivy_Blackrose

well my thing is it would actually benefit them far more to make it unlockable because then not only would i buy ONE ship, I would probably buy them ALL, which means in the long run more money for them. and id seriously love a tie fighter and an X-wing btw :p Edited by Ivy_Blackrose

Reality disagrees with you.

This game has been a financial boom for EAware the last few quarters and it is a direct result of a business model that is working. Money doesn't fall from the sky.

Yet the only PVE content we have had the opportunity to play this year has been 3 tactical FPs at 55, and 1 tactical FP for 15-55. And it has been a boom for much longer than a few quarters - since F2P went live, really.

At the end of the year, we'll receive a real expansion, but it will still only be "Makeb-sized," the same as when the game's finances actually still in question.

So where do you think all that money went? It doesn't seem to me it's going back into SWTOR, at least not in a very significant way at the moment.

Edited by arunav

So where do you think all that money went? It doesn't seem to me it's going back into SWTOR, at least not in a very significant way at the moment.

The CEO's wallet.

Sorry, I guess I'm too pessimistic about where my money goes.

As to my earlier post(to lazy to require at the moment): I was meaning that if you only buy things from the CM, and didn't do anything else, you'd be missing out on a lot of the game.

Though I am surprised people couldn't have the ships in their collections for account unlocking.

Yet the only PVE content we have had the opportunity to play this year has been 3 tactical FPs at 55, and 1 tactical FP for 15-55. And it has been a boom for much longer than a few quarters - since F2P went live, really.

At the end of the year, we'll receive a real expansion, but it will still only be "Makeb-sized," the same as when the game's finances actually still in question.

The lion's share will go back into the company, and likely other projects.

Why?

Because of things like time-value of money and investors expecting a good return. On a more direct operations level, they develop the amount of content that they think is most profitable.

People don't pony up money to break even on an investment, or to reinvest all the revenue a project creates for the sake of its consumers. They invest the money in the hopes of getting more money back in the future.

Just because people collectively spend a billion on WoW every year doesn't mean WoW spends a billion dollars on development each year.

Edited by Vandicus

The lion's share will go back into the company, and likely other projects.

Why?

Because of things like time-value of money and investors expecting a good return. On a more direct operations level, they develop the amount of content that they think is most profitable.

People don't pony up money to break even on an investment, or to reinvest all the revenue a project creates for the sake of its consumers. They invest the money in the hopes of getting more money back in the future.

Just because people collectively spend a billion on WoW every year doesn't mean WoW spends a billion dollars on development each year.

This

In the end, we all want to believe that the game, and all monies earned via sub or sales, are meant to improve the game for us. And while a portion of those funds do exactly that. There must be a portion held aside.

A Corporations goal is to please its investors, attract new investors to other projects, and make money (profit). This is accomplished by spending less than you take in, and rewarding the investors who initially ponied up the money.

Over the last 20 years, there has been a shift in the amount of profit that is turned back to the investors. I can't speak for EA/BW of course, but what back in the 80's and early 90's used to be about a 50/50 split (reinvesting in the company/product/employees and paying returns on investment to the investors) has started trending toward favoring the investor.

Understand, that investors aren't, necessarily, gamers... and likely dont even have the game installed much less actually played it. Their game is money.... I give you X dollars, I want X +Y back. No one, and I mean no one invests in a company not to make money. As more companies lean towards favoring the investor the investors expectations are that they will get more and more of the pie each year.

I am not in anyway saying that SWTOR doesn't care about its customers, and I do believe that they reinvest in the products... I am not a member of the "game is doomed crowd". Far from it. They do want the customer to be satisfied so they continue to purchase/use the product.

All said however, no MMO I know of can keep up with the content demand. It is simply too expensive as a matter of cost of doing business. Even the much heralded Wildstar had to back off their Monthly Content promise. It is unsustainable.

Yes, as players... we want more and more content... but that content that takes us an hour to complete, tooks months of planning, coding, testing, and so on. The goal from the developer (whatever it may have been at launch) eventually morphs into "replayability" and selling items that have a low production cost, but high return (think a particular color crystal, or new outfit/mount).

Make no mistake, they want to keep us old timers around... but really (and I am sure there is a metric on this already at EA corporate), they know how long the average player stays and plays. They look to keep pushing that number higher no doubt... but most of the time, the "do this or I'll unsub" will gain absolutely nothing. They have already gotten what the expect from you the customer, and while they don't want to lose you, have already come to the realization that they can not please everyone... and can not produce enough to keep every player thoroughly happy. So they have to strike where the cash is... or strike an area that can attract more players (i.e. Housing).

Its not bad on anyone's part here. I know, as players, we don't want to look at it this way, but in the end... this is the reality.

this is entirely true but the bottom line still remains, locking ships and not making an 18 dollar investment able to be unlocked for all characters on the account IS in fact a negative way to handle it, basically what it means is I will not buy any more ships at all now, so basically any cool ships placed now or in the future will be a lost 18 dollar profit and all because they refused to make one ship unlockable for an additional X amount of dollars to all characters on the account.

and BTW i didnt say I would unsub, I just said I wont be as willing to open my wallet to spend cash in the cash shop if things like this are going to be locked to one character. I dont mind consumables like dyes being 1 use, but a ship for GSF that is 18 dollars needs to be unlockable

Edited by Ivy_Blackrose

this is entirely true but the bottom line still remains, locking ships and not making an 18 dollar investment able to be unlocked for all characters on the account IS in fact a negative way to handle it, basically what it means is I will not buy any more ships at all now, so basically any cool ships placed now or in the future will be a lost 18 dollar profit and all because they refused to make one ship unlockable for an additional X amount of dollars to all characters on the account.

Its a gamble they probably already counted on... GSF is not nearly as popular as they thought it would be (from my take on it at least), so they invested a ton of money to build it, and need to make that money back. So adding the ships to the collection probably isnt going to happen for sometime.

Also, please understand, that while YOU won't buy ships for each account, many will and have. I do understand your point... i bet they are banking on more people being willing to buy ships for each account, than those unwilling to buy any because they aren't legacy unlocks.

i disagree I am willin to bet that those people that do buy ships for each character hesitate LONG and HARD about buying them and usually arent very happy at the fact they paid 210 bux for just one ship rather than 210 bux forf 10 ships for example, I know I like ot feel I got my moneys worth but apparently judging by this discussion im the only one lol

and BTW i didnt say I would unsub, I just said I wont be as willing to open my wallet to spend cash in the cash shop if things like this are going to be locked to one character. I dont mind consumables like dyes being 1 use, but a ship for GSF that is 18 dollars needs to be unlockable

I'm with you on this one. When GSF came out, I was very, VERY close to buying one of those ships because of the unlock system the game has. It was only by chance I heard ships weren't available as legacy unlock (and then later on confirmed it) that I did not buy it. That's why I'll buy anything off the CM EXCEPT the ships.

Sorry Bioware but if you're not gonna make your ships legacy-wide, then you should consider making them cheaper. Much, Much cheaper.

Much.

It replaces an MMORPG (game being key) with primarily the contents of pack shipments.

The latter adds to the base game in a great way. But if new players are focusing in the first 3 weeks they are playing on pack contents or generally "shopping," they are less likely becoming as engaged with the various class and planetary stories, exposing themselves to the 20 different skill trees (40 if you count the mirrors) and how combat really works in SWTOR, trying out PvP and understanding each WZ well, learning how to play a preferred AC properly in a group setting, and, globally, the multitude systems that were and continue to be developed.

I believe this leads to folks that are worse for the game in the long run, because many simply aren't as engaged with playing it. This can affect everything from subscriber retention, player aptitude, or even content development.

Im gonna be the one other guy that agrees with you.

The devs aren't going to care about improving the game and adding more gameplay content if people are more worried about what their character looks like - and have no problem throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the screen to make it happen to boot.

..................................oh and btw since I came back I have gotten full pvp gear full 162/180 raid gear in 3 weeks and all 4 strongholds, so yeah HOW is the CM ruining the game for me and others like me again? just curious

Whilst I agree that you are doing nothing wrong If you are enjoying the game your way, there really is no need to spout garbage about getting full brutilizer (and oberan first since you had no current pvp gear), and a full PVE raid set in 3 weeks, sorry that is just a bucket of excrement. There simply are not enough hours in the day, given the fact you must spend a lot of them opening cartel packs and decorating your 4 strongholds too.

......................... basically what it means is I will not buy any more ships at all now, so basically any cool ships placed now or in the future will be a lost 18 dollar profit and all because they refused to make one ship unlockable for an additional X amount of dollars to all characters on the account................................

Whether you buy anymore or not, is not important, they have had your $300 in 3 weeks, and you well may walk away from the game with nothing tangible to show for your outlay. In the meantime, your money is sitting in their account.

Personally I am of the view that you have already bought the said ship and will continue to buy more on any alts you roll.

Your purchasing habits being what they are, you are a dream come true for BW/EA. Can you actually break the precedent you have set?

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen