The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mercenary services

Fimbul

So, a bunch of friends an I started a guild this past week and we have a couple very frequent players specialized in healing and some others on tanking (and some DPS, but I don't think these will be of great profit). We are all close to lvl 20 or above it.

And as it's with most starting (newb) guilds, we are currently working on getting a guild bank, stronghold and things like that (and since no one has a lvl 55 alt, getting all those Ks needed for the bank+stronghold is going to be hard, not to mention the Flagship).

So... We were thinking... Why not offer services to other players? The guild name is Interstellar Bohemian Mercenaries after all.

Perhaps we could find some people interested in paying for a Guard+Healer on PVP matches? Some pro's alt character that he is lvling...

But how much would these services cost? I see people constantly buying lvl 9-20 Item Modification stuff in GTN for prices over 10k. So I imagine that could be a fair price?

Per PVP match:

Healer services: 15k

Tank (guard) services: 10k

Flashpoints (per flashpoint, considering no "Need" is chosen for items dropped):

Healer services: 20k

Tank services: 15k

And in the future... Bodyguard services for PVP planets.

What do you think? Do-able? Profitable? Is the time cost worth the cash?

With time perhaps we can build a reputation and get more jobs, or higher level jobs paying much more.

I imagine the profit would go 70% to player and 20% to guild while we try to get these costly projects implemented (banks, strhold, flagship).

Per PVP match:

Tank (guard) services: 10k

Flashpoints (per flashpoint, considering no "Need" is chosen for items dropped):

Tank services: 15k

Doable? probably.

Profitable? Nope. The prices are too low. You would be making much more of a profit if you just crafted and sold the items on the GTN.

Your prices seem right for level 20, although I question whether or not you'll find any clients.

The idea of offering paid mercenary services seems like a great RP angle. But if you're not doing this primarily for fun and you are more interested in earning credits through gameplay, the best strategy is for all your guildies to reach 55 ASAP and farm end game content.

(I know that people pay for PvP carries in World of Warcraft...you could try to arrange something like that as a "paid mercenary service" and earn good money doing it at level 55. Assuming you are good at it!)

so, a bunch of friends an i started a guild this past week and we have a couple very frequent players specialized in healing and some others on tanking (and some dps, but i don't think these will be of great profit). We are all close to lvl 20 or above it.

And as it's with most starting (newb) guilds, we are currently working on getting a guild bank, stronghold and things like that (and since no one has a lvl 55 alt, getting all those ks needed for the bank+stronghold is going to be hard, not to mention the flagship).

So... We were thinking... Why not offer services to other players? The guild name is interstellar bohemian mercenaries after all.

Perhaps we could find some people interested in paying for a guard+healer on pvp matches? Some pro's alt character that he is lvling...

But how much would these services cost? I see people constantly buying lvl 9-20 item modification stuff in gtn for prices over 10k. So i imagine that could be a fair price?

Per pvp match:

tank (guard) services: 10k

flashpoints (per flashpoint, considering no "need" is chosen for items dropped):

tank services: 15k

and in the future... Bodyguard services for pvp planets.

What do you think? Do-able? Profitable? Is the time cost worth the cash?

With time perhaps we can build a reputation and get more jobs, or higher level jobs paying much more.

I imagine the profit would go 70% to player and 20% to guild while we try to get these costly projects implemented (banks, strhold, flagship).

bring me the head of a lion!

i see this going VERY badly.

picture this scenario. DPS pays for said healer for PVP groups and joins the queue. Being a group of only 2, the others would be unknowingly joining a warzone where the healer is being paid to only heal one person (assuming said healer is not offering his services to others for free). The other two people would reasonably expect a healer queued for a warzone to heal the group, not one said DPS. Making the rest of the team work harder. I just don't see that working out well for anyone involved in the long run.

Granted I don't PVP so can't say how random pug healers work in random warzones, but one could reasonably expect somethign like that to happen given the pay to play service.

Back in the olden days when HM 55 FP's were worth running for comms and gear, for my dps alts I would sometimes throw out an offer of 50K in general chat for a competent tank to queue with me, and it would almost always get a response. If no guild tanks were available, paying 50K to queue with a tank was better than waiting 1-2 hours for the queue to pop for a solo dps.

Nowadays, I don't know how profitable this would be. I'm also guessing the majority of players would rather wait for the queue than pay to go now...and then there's the matter of seeing your profits turn into losses if your clients are really bad and cause you to wipe.