Flagship Complete!

Andrellma

I don't understand that. Couldn't a medium guild do exactly what the OP said his guild did - hunt down NPC's relentlessly? Surely you don't need to be a "mega-guild" to field an ops-group, right?

It all comes down to how populated your server is (meaning how many instances of a planet with Commander are there). then it depends on server type (you need more people on PvP to defend against other faction, on PvE it is easy to pull commander out of base without flagging the entire party, which should change, IMO) and general activity around commanders (trying to kill commander on a conquest world on PvP server is usually a bad idea unless you outnumber the other faction by large margin).

As I said, I used the term mega guild incorrectly, but from my perspective, a guild with 30+ people online is really large (or small with everybody active and not burned out, depends on how you look at it).

Oh, it'll take years for some folk.

But, at long as it takes the majority of guilds more than another 4 months to get completely done, then Guild Conquest has served its immediate purpose of keeping us entertained and distracted long enough for them to get the 3.0 expansion done and released.

Busts out laughing, 4 months for an unannounced xpac?

Why not, everyone decided there had to be a 3.0 due to their limited skills in versioning, so why not put a schedule on it.

Got a feature list? :p

It all comes down to how populated your server is (meaning how many instances of a planet with Commander are there). then it depends on server type (you need more people on PvP to defend against other faction, on PvE it is easy to pull commander out of base without flagging the entire party, which should change, IMO) and general activity around commanders (trying to kill commander on a conquest world on PvP server is usually a bad idea unless you outnumber the other faction by large margin).

As I said, I used the term mega guild incorrectly, but from my perspective, a guild with 30+ people online is really large (or small with everybody active and not burned out, depends on how you look at it).

Well just speaking for my guild: We are on Jung Ma, have maybe 40 individual accounts (unique as in excluding alts, and inactive members.) Our largest number of players online at any time hits 20-24 during larger events. Average about 12-15 or so on a given night. So I would consider us a medium sized guild. Maybe small depending on who you compare us to.

Anyways, we currently are at 11/15 unlocks on the ship with each room decorated (or in the process of decorating at least.) We went hard with the first week getting about 5 frameworks and 180 encryptions, we had some fierce competition from The Guardians (who were our server first for ship 15/15 unlock, since they made it their goal it seems). So we aren't making it a priority to race for the next server 15/15 but we are making great strides in that direction by just having fun with GS. I would expect us to be 15/15 within a few weeks. All we lack are a few credits and a small amount of frameworks for the final stretch. So I think it is very safe to say a medium sized and even small guild will be able to unlock it. The real question is time.

Just wondering, how many characters does your guild actually have? Meaning how many Encryptions did you rake in each week just from top10 rewards?

That was supposed to be the core of my point, I probably did not made it clear enough, and I probably used the term mega guild incorrectly.

We got maybe one purple encryption per week via the top 10 rewards. Nearly all our encryptions were from killing commanders. We had 10 unlocks before the first Planetary Conquest period was even over. We slowed down a lot in the following weeks.

EDIT: Even if we got 2 purples (100 blues) from the top 10 rewards it would still only be 6 purples total which is at MAXIMUM 2 unlocks...

We are also on a PVP server and had to fight for a lot of our named and even unnamed commanders.

Edited by Volcan

If your guild doesn't see a reason to unlock the ship, then don't do it. Our guild did it because we enjoyed it. It was a matter of pride to us to complete it. Server first was not necessarily our goal at first (though we did push harder towards the end when it seemed likely that we would get server first), we just wanted to get it done for the sake of having a fully unlocked ship, and seeing what we could do by playing around with the decorations and such to actually make look good and not, no offense, like Musco had been set free in there. It brought new life into the guild, with people working together towards a common goal, rather than simply coming together for team runs, then going back to dailies/gsf/loitering on fleet.

Sure, there were a handful of the "what's in it for me?" crowd, but every community has those, whether we're talking about gaming or real life, but if you've got a group of 8-12 dedicated people, coming together for commander kills can be a lot of fun. And for the people who decided they didn't want to do it, they simply didn't do it. They went off and did whatever it was they did, while the rest of us worked towards the goal.

Our guild usually has between 15-20 players on during primetime, weekends tend to be a bit busier due to people being off from work and/or school, as well as a lot of our teams run on the weekends. There were a few times during the runs where we had to call off the kills because we couldn't get enough people, but thankfully, for the most part, most members of the guild were willing to help out on the hunt if they weren't actively in raids/warzones/flashpoints, so that didn't happen too often. We ran with less than 12 a lot, too, but that was because even if we couldn't field a full group, we figured 8-11 encrypts was better than 0.

Now that we have the ship completed, we're not back to fleet loitering or complaining about a lack of content. We're shifting our focus back to progression on the teams, but more importantly, by grouping together so much for these commander kills, a lot of our players who hadn't done much group content in the past are more interested in running things like operations and whatnot, and as a result, we've fielded something like 3 new raid teams (I could be off. I tend to lose track of things like this, but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in that ballpark), and there's a lot more interest in guild runs as well.

Ok then, props to you.

I guess lot of people in my guild fail to see any reason to fully unlock the ship to kill bazillion commanders each day...

So it's not that the content is gated or caters to "mega" guilds, it's just that your guild isn't interested in the content?

That's fair. But please refrain from calling it the one thing when it's the other.

• 4 months later...

Just gonna add to discussion "few months later". We finished our ship as a medium-sized guild this week on Red Eclipse, mostly going after Big commanders and supplementing with Conquest rewards (not every week as there were few we didn't make it into Top 10). Apart from us there are also couple other medium-sized guilds who also completed their ships (some much earlier than us). Obviously the biggest guilds got theirs first in a week/two, but medium sized guilds can do it as well within few months if they simply keeping going after Commanders from time to time. Many guilds stopped doing it completly, abandoning the idea after few weeks.

There's no rush, you can trat Commander kills as side guild activity and different thing to do as guild. It can be fun and even challenging sometimes (Yavin in particular is a tough spot), not to mention PVP aspect on PVP servers

Just gonna add to discussion "few months later". We finished our ship as a medium-sized guild this week on Red Eclipse, mostly going after Big commanders and supplementing with Conquest rewards (not every week as there were few we didn't make it into Top 10). Apart from us there are also couple other medium-sized guilds who also completed their ships (some much earlier than us). Obviously the biggest guilds got theirs first in a week/two, but medium sized guilds can do it as well within few months if they simply keeping going after Commanders from time to time. Many guilds stopped doing it completly, abandoning the idea after few weeks.

There's no rush, you can trat Commander kills as side guild activity and different thing to do as guild. It can be fun and even challenging sometimes (Yavin in particular is a tough spot), not to mention PVP aspect on PVP servers

As time goes on it gets easier and easier to unlock the ship. As a big guild we had ours done back in september. We've been helping friends in smaller guilds ever since.