The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

I didnt agree to let you in. So you had no right to come in to my property.

Its completely different from the topic at hand. The seller didnt grab the money or hold a gun to your head. You agreed to an exchange without fully understanding what you were agreeing to.

You agreed to keep your door open and you weren't expecting someone to come and rob your house. It's your fault that you weren't aware. You see I can do victim blaming too.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still don't get it, do you? Either that, or you're trolling...

It doesn't matter about any of that, that isn't how real life works, and behind all these toons in the game, are REAL LIFE PEOPLE. Or didn't you know that?

Real life people don't care for this crappy, scummy behavior, if enough of them get annoyed about it, they made noise. Right or wrong, enough noise gets attention.

That attention doesn't go away just because something is or is not "broken" in the game.

This is a video game and not real life. I find it funny that you claim only real life people don't care about crappy scummy behavior when it's real life people who do such behavior thus proving that real life people do care about it.

But you're wasting your time if you think something is going to happen to fix something that isn't even remotely broken because some people arn't smart enough to pay attention to what their doing.

What the hell? I wasn't talking about those things? I was talking about going to a party, having barely any clothes on and people writing and drawing silly pictures on you when you're asleep. It's your fault for not having clothes on

But anyway, this is exactly what you're doing...victim blaming.

Well its unlikely that ANYONE except you would read it that way. If you wanted people to read it that way you should have added a bit more context...

Also Im not victim blaming. Im denying that the buyer is a victim at all. At most he is a victim of his own carelessness. It is not victim blaming to expect people to be able to be accountable for mistakes which were entirely their own making.

This is a game not real life.

Sigh... Go outside, get some fresh air, meet some real people...

You clearly have lost all perspective...

THERE ARE REAL LIFE PEOPLE BEHIND THE TOONS IN THIS GAME.

Not complex, but it seems to be lost on some people here.

And even if this was real life its still the buyers fault.

That doesn't matter... It really doesn't...

When enough noise gets created about something, "fault" rarely comes into play.

You have some mistaken notion that people are obligated to ensure that you always pay a price that YOU deek fair no matter what. Welcome to the real world. People are not obligated to prevent you from making mistakes that could benefit them to your disadvantage.

In the real world, I have legal recourse against such people. In the game, I do not.

Thus we come to the forums. If it doesn't get addressed here, it will be taken to the live streams and then perhaps to the Cantina Tours. Beyond that...

BioWare Austin

3110 Esperanza Crossing

Ste 110

Austin, TX 78759

(512) 382-8682

Not hard to find...

Also its completely inappropriate for you to equate victim blaming in rape/sexual harassment cases to calling out people who try to divest responsibility when they buy something on the GTN without reading the price properly.

You might think so... you might even be right...

But it should tell you something about how upset some people are at this situation...

You keep thinking this is "no big deal". To you, perhaps not. To others, clearly it is...

Also Im not victim blaming. Im denying that the buyer is a victim at all. At most he is a victim of his own carelessness. It is not victim blaming to expect people to be able to be accountable for mistakes which were entirely their own making.

You're victim blaming. That's exactly what youre doing. It would be your fault for leaving your front door wide open for people to rob your house, it was your mistake. You were careless. Imagine if the police told you that. "You got robbed because it was your own fault"

I thought for sure that it would be an important topic for players considering the intensity of the debate around 8-man Group Finder going away and how that would impact on player's ability to earn commendations.

Let someone get "scammed", somehow, in a GF and they'll be begging for a confirmation window on joining group finder.

"I know it asked me if I wanted to join, but it was late, and I was tired, and I really could have used another confirmation window to be sure that I was doing the right thing. I finished the GF but I was over the limit on my commendations and I lost half of them. I should have been warned that completing this GF was going to put me over the limit. BW needs to implement this"

Strawman, hyperbole, and others unite :)

Edited by Anniahilus

You might think so... you might even be right...

But it should tell you something about how upset some people are at this situation...

You keep thinking this is "no big deal". To you, perhaps not. To others, clearly it is...

There are other issues with people that think losing out on virtual pixel money in a video game is the same as a potential rape or invasive home robbery scenario.

You agreed to keep your door open and you weren't expecting someone to come and rob your house. It's your fault that you weren't aware. You see I can do victim blaming too.

Yup you are doing victim blaming which is characterised by idiotic fluff arguments seeking to throw fault onto someone who has been wronged.

Victim blaming falls flat on the count that the victim's actions did not entitle the perpetrator to commit the crime. You don't have the right to walk into someone's house without their permission even if the door is open. Thats called trespassing.

You are making strawman arguments in trying equate player carelessness in making purchases with "victim blaming" or genuine crimes

This is a video game and not real life. I find it funny that you claim only real life people don't care about crappy scummy behavior when it's real life people who do such behavior thus proving that real life people do care about it.

There is a real life hazard to doing this to people when the buyer actually knows who the seller really is.

The people doing it in the game are hiding behind a made up toon name and there really isn't a legal recourse option to find out who they are (not within reason anyway).

There are other issues with people that think losing out on virtual pixel money in a video game is the same as a potential rape or invasive home robbery scenario.

IKR?:rolleyes:

You know Reno, you and I rarely seem to agree on stuff, so I guess these guys must really be scrapping the bottom of the barrel if they can get us on the same side :p

There is a real life hazard to doing this to people when the buyer actually knows who the seller really is.

The people doing it in the game are hiding behind a made up toon name and there really isn't a legal recourse option to find out who they are (not within reason anyway).

And what sort of legal recourse are you expecting to get if you could? Nothing I'd say because there is nothing Illegal going on here.

Yup you are doing victim blaming which is characterised by idiotic fluff arguments seeking to throw fault onto someone who has been wronged.

Victim blaming falls flat on the count that the victim's actions did not entitle the perpetrator to commit the crime. You don't have the right to walk into someone's house without their permission even if the door is open. Thats called trespassing.

You are making strawman arguments in trying equate player carelessness in making purchases with "victim blaming" or genuine crimes

You are in denial that i am right. Keep spouting your nonsense. You are simply victim blaming, I'm sorry you can't see this.

Imagine if trespassing wasnt illegal. What then? It would be perfectly fine to go in and rob someones house?

" Well it's not illegal! It's your fault you got robbed and left your door open!!"

Victim blaming.

Edited by EvenHardNiner

IKR?:rolleyes:

You know Reno, you and I rarely seem to agree on stuff, so I guess these guys must really be scrapping the bottom of the barrel if they can get us on the same side :p

No, we're just pointing out that you are on the side of people who are scum of the earth, that's all.

When it comes right down to it, no decent human being would ever be on the side of the sellers here. There is no justification for it.

What this all tells me is that you two must be the sellers, you don't want your gravy train cut off.

These people obviously don't know what they're talking about. They are both victim blaming because a certain act isn't "illegal". They probably have no sense of moral purpose.

No, we're just pointing out that you are on the side of people who are scum of the earth, that's all.

When it comes right down to it, no decent human being would ever be on the side of the sellers here. There is no justification for it.

What this all tells me is that you two must be the sellers, you don't want your gravy train cut off.

Quoted for truth ^ :rolleyes: These two are getting incredibly desperate and frustrated. Maybe they're scared it will be against the rules and they can no longer scam people.

Edited by EvenHardNiner

You are in denial that i am right. Keep spouting your nonsense. You are simply victim blaming, I'm sorry you can't see this.

Imagine if trespassing wasnt illegal. What then? It would be perfectly fine to go in and rob someones house?

" Well it's not illegal! It's your fault you got robbed and left your door open!!"

Victim blaming.

If it's not illegal then it would be perfectly fine to go in and rob someone.

And what sort of legal recourse are you expecting to get if you could? Nothing I'd say because there is nothing Illegal going on here.

If these losses were for millions of dollars instead of millions of credits, rest assured that the buyer would at least have their day in court.

What happens beyond that point depends greatly on what really happened and where it happened, and on who has the better legal team.

The seller in this case is at the very least doing business in bad faith, and courts have ruled many times that doing so is cause for the cancellation of a contract.

The Law is the law. What is your point?

You are not a lawyer, be careful in being so sure what the law is and is not.

One thing that I can tell you for sure is that it often doesn't work the way lay people think it does, and it is rarely as cut and dry as lay people think it is.

If these losses were for millions of dollars instead of millions of credits, rest assured that the buyer would at least have their day in court.

What happens beyond that point depends greatly on what really happened and where it happened, and on who has the better legal team.

The seller in this case is at the very least doing business in bad faith, and courts have ruled many times that doing so is cause for the cancellation of a contract.

I think it would be wise to stop talking to the devil.

But we're talking about credits here and not dollars, so again what legal recourse would you hope to get?