Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

Ok, here are the proposed solutions I have seen sofar.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Change total price to price per unit, or just add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

Easiest would likely be to correct the formatting to right justified, next would be removing the fractional currency, followed by flags that can be applied to the character name.

I think simply changing the left justification to right justification is likely the easiest fix.

My preferred one would be the flag system though. Also like the idea of adding the OPTION to place a price per unit instead of a whole price. That would be convenient.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you digging this crap up now?! Its already been put to rest! :rak_02:

I dug my own thread back from the grave for archival purposes.

As for all the other threads about it, well.. I guess some people have forgotten how the GTN works or... Whatever the other side is saying. Something about decimals, commas, being tired, not paying attention, or white knighting.

I ask a simple question:

Is deliberately putting over priced items on the GTN in the hope that somebody will misread the price (due to the way the decimals are displayed) and them unintentionally purchasing an over priced item against the rules?

Many people have bought crafting mats for hundreds of thousands of credits when they only intended to use a few thousand credits, many people have been tricked and have misread the way the numbers are displayed.

I myself almost fell into this trap but as a person who uses the GTN more often than most (more than new players) I recognized what was about to happen.

Obviously there will be responses saying it's the buyers fault for not reading the price. And of course it is, because they're the one who clicked the button, and it is also the sellers fault for overpricing the item on purpose.

However the buyer did not intend to buy an over priced item, yet the seller intended to overprice the item, and that here is the real issue.

Is this against the rules, Bioware? Because if it's not then I'm sure as heck gonna start doing this more often :p

Edited by EvenHardNiner

Just the fun forum PVP topic for the moment, like many others in the past. I remember the epic forum PVP from "appearance progression" back in the day.

Quite a few mad folks back then when Bioware decided to add adaptive armor to the game.

Not to mention the uproar over sprint at level 1 and 2 more bars for F2P.

I find myself generally unable to predict what will become the forum's topic de jour.

Several weeks ago I thought it would be a discussion of the potential change coming to the rate at which players would earn commendations in 3.0 after Eric said in a Community Team's LiveStream (1:38:00), "I do know that there is going to be, probably, some slight changes in how fast you earn [ultimate and Elite commendations] in the expansion, but I think we'll probably talk more about that maybe in the general combat stuff next week, or we'll have more details in the future once that's more nailed down."

I pointed out the quote a couple of times in related threads but I didn't receive a single response. I thought for sure that it would be an important topic for players considering the intensity of the debate around 8-man Group Finder going away and how that would impact on player's ability to earn commendations.

Not shure why you're thanking Bioware for my response, but okay.

And what is this trade scamming you speak of?

Check your inbox

But do you think that would apply to this too? I mean the buyer is silly enough to click accept without reading the price right?

Edited by EvenHardNiner

OH MY GOD! Not another one of these threads!!

You misread the price and clicked buy. You intended to buy it all the same.

I've lost over 1mil creds before because I listed a few items short of 1 zero. OMG! The buyer scammed me right?! NO! It was my mistake and the buyer got lucky!

If theres a market in cornering careless people who buy without reading properly im not at fault for taking advantage of that. It may be morally questionable but its not wrong. This is a game not real life. So you bet Id take advantage of that market!

Check your inbox

But do you think that would apply to this too? I mean the buyer is silly enough to click accept without reading the price right?

If they're not paying attention to the price being changed, that is their fault. But as far as I'm aware the accept box resets if something in the trade changes.

Thats and attiude that makes me think you are one of them

When you run 200 or 300 transactions daily its bound to happen sometime

Easier to just ban then in my gtn dialog and not having them show up with their scam, im not talking about having bioware ban them im talking about having myself ban them

How about own up to the fact that you made a mistake and take responsibility for the consequences? You can always sort the itemised price by lowest first and that would immediately remove the likelyhood of you misreading the item.

So if I trade scam people and quickly change the price in trade, it's entirely their fault they got deceived? The game allows me to put whatever price I want in trade right? Would this be against the rules?

Yes you have the right to list at whatever price you want. People have the right to choose to buy it or not. Its called the free market.

If the price changes radically then the market has shifted to make the new price the fair price.

Ok, here are the proposed solutions I have seen sofar.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Change total price to price per unit, or just add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

Easiest would likely be to correct the formatting to right justified, next would be removing the fractional currency, followed by flags that can be applied to the character name.

I think simply changing the left justification to right justification is likely the easiest fix.

My preferred one would be the flag system though. Also like the idea of adding the OPTION to place a price per unit instead of a whole price. That would be convenient.

Getting rid of fractionals is silly and impractical. It makes offering discounts that much harder. Nothing wrong with my wanting to offer a bundle discount of 3 items for 4k credits instead of the standard unit price of 5k per item.

People just need to learn to read more carefully and use the Sort by Lowest unit price option. Then they will always be able to see the genuinely cheapest items first.

Edited by BaronV

OH MY GOD! Not another one of these threads!!

And they will not stop until something is done about the situation.

If theres a market in cornering careless people who buy without reading properly im not at fault for taking advantage of that. It may be morally questionable but its not wrong. This is a game not real life. So you bet Id take advantage of that market!

You keep thinking that, you'll find that you're mistaken.

No it's not against the rules since all the information on the GTN is spelled out and displayed for you.

People just need to pay attention, end of story.

I don't think the phrase, "end of story", means what you think it means...

This isn't the end of the story, it is only the start...

Yes, you intended to buy the item, but you did not intend to spend hundreds of thousands of credits when you only intended to spend a few thousand.

If you clicked BUY then you intended to buy it at the listed price not whatever price you intended to buy it at. That is how online transactions work.

The price is clearly listed. It's your fault for misreading it. You always have the ability to sort by lowest price first or lowest unit price first. All the tools are there for you to use. Its your fault for not making use of them.

I don't think the phrase, "end of story", means what you think it means...

This isn't the end of the story, it is only the start...

No it really is end of story, this discussion has been talked to death already, there isn't going to be any new evidence that comes to light and suddenly creates a brand new debate.

While I've never done such a thing myself, as I rarely sell stuff on the GTN (I have better things to do with the time I have than play yet ANOTHER mini-game) I don't see the issue. It's hardly the fault of someone else if you can't read numbers, or can't be bothered to pay attention.

Let's take this to it's logical conclusion, shall we? What do you expect them to *do* about it, hmm? Start banning people who put things up for sale higher than the average price? What about the original price point? Should BioWare limit the cap on item prices manually? How would they address the issue, start handing out credits to those who've lost them due to this? How can you prove that you actually did such a thing by mistake, and not try to scam BW with a friend? After all, the other person can't refund you if they spend the credits and them answering a ticket already takes *days*, this would clog the system even more.

It's easy to cry and demand solutions without actually thinking about the implications of those solutions. In short, deal with it, pay attention and accept responsibility for your OWN actions instead of dictating the actions of others.

Edited by Jandi

And they will not stop until something is done about the situation.

You keep thinking that, you'll find that you're mistaken.

Saying im mistaken will not make it so. They have all the information clearly displayed up front. There are no fine print weasel words or anything like that involved. 3 items for 999999 credits means exactly that. If you click buy on that you agreed to pay 999999 credits. Its not the sellers fault you read the unit price as 333.333 instead of 333,333

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.