Can someone please help me with gear!

simplysmooth

Sorry guys I'm new and I love this game but for the life of me I can't figure out how gear works. I haven't been playing MMO's for that long. I have a level 20 sith warrior and I have some customizable gear and I have the highest level on mods and enhance ments that I'm able to get from vendors at that level but I'm getting my butt handed to me by level 21 ememys during quests. It's so annoying and I know you guys probaly hate getting newbie questions but can someone please help me get to wear I can have a chance during quests.

Make sure your companion has reasonable gear as well. Don't overlook your weapons. Remember to upgrade and buy new attacks, use your defensive abilities when needed and sometimes strategy is needed for more difficult enemies.

Curious to know, what is your spec?

Edited by ikinai

Since you are level 20, you may have gotten a certain character as a healer at some point when you were on Balmorra. Assuming you did, drag that companion out, throw some decent gear on them and go to town. If your healer companion is pretty well geared, you can survive for a long time without upgrades to yourself.

If you are insistent on using vette, have her attack first so that she takes the brunt of the damage while you go to town with your damage.

I'm a Sith Marauder level 20. I'll admit i'm new to these games but no matter what I do it seems like a couple of hits and i'm dead. it's so frustrating. I really like the game though and I'd like to become more proficient.

Duly.net Dulfy knows all and tells all.

as a marauder you will want to focus mainly on main stats (strength) (ignore things like willpower, aim, etc.)

I will assume you have two sabers equipped, main hand will give you the most damage output. Don't worry about looks unless you have the comms to purchase armor and mods (empty shells look good, but might as well run naked).

some keys issues:

1) don't aggro everything, you are not a tank and can not take as much damage as others, so learn to manage your aggro and try to use your stuns/interrupts.

2) learn a rotation, not only skills, but also where they are on the keyboard, try to work efficiently the more movement of your hand the more your rotation will suffer.

3) let your companions do their job, if you are running a tank companion let them aggro first. You will get most benefit from a healing companion, but any will do. If using a DPS companion it will be the most difficult.

4) don't expect much. Jumping in and trying to solo a lvl 21 elite or champion with bunch of adds will just end badly unless you get some more experience (not char level, just in MMO/mechanics in general). When to use def cooldowns, interrupts, etc.

5) if having a bit of a problem, use stims,adrenals. and medpacks to boost survivability and damage.

6) kill order, dont jump in and immediately start attacking the biggest "boss" work the adds first, they will die easier and you will take less damage in the end.

unfortunately without more info it will most likely come down to a "learn to play" than a pure gear issue. if you use nothing but the items given to you from quests rewards you will be sufficiently geared for leveling. Unless you are power leveling in Flashpoints or PVP at which point purchase gear with the comms.

First time is definitely harder, especially if you start with a dps class. Between level 16 and 20 you have visited Balmorra and as it has been mentioned above you should complete class stories to get your second companion that is a healer. This companion will make things easier for sure.

Observe what gets you killed, utilize your skills and avoid mobs that are too strong for you. If you concentrate on light or dark side you will be able to purchase relics from the vendors on the fleet. Minimum is level 2 dark or light, vendors are in the GTN area I believe (dark side, light side vendors). These relics will improve your stats. If you need implants, check GTN to see if you can afford them.

Save your planetary commendations and plan on how are you going to use them. Queue for flashpoints as you explore, drops from flashpoints are a great help.

Join a guild and seek help. There are many friendly people out there that will help you out.

At 20 if you need implants/ear piece, do a few PvP matches.. I think they are like 400 comms each, you should be able to get all 3 after a few matchs. Won't cost you any money (actually you should make a few credits doing it)...

that's a great idea, and as much as I don't like PvP myself, when I first started playing MMOs or any new MMO I will do some PvP to learn my class rotations. Nothing like trial by fire to get you motivated to learn your class.

Well, I'm a bit late to the party but let me add a few other tips:

1) Do Heroics. Initially, you'll probably need to team up a lot but if your level's high enough you can often solo +2 and even some +4, particularly if you have invisibility. Heroics give you a lot of XP as well as credits and adaptive gear you can strip for mods.

2) Do Bonus Series. If you're playing Empire and are around level 20, then you're doing Balmorra and there's a bonus series at level 21 (incidentally, Nar Shaddaa is also level 20/21 iirc). I know it's a chore, that you'll probably be fed up with the planet, but I still encourage you to do the bonus series to rapidly increase your level.

3) Perhaps this is obvious but if you logout your character in a rested zone (e.g.: Imperial Fleet or cantinas), you generate rested XP. For practical purposes, this is when your XP bar looks green instead of yellow. If you kill enemies or deliver missions with rested XP, they'll give you twice as much XP. So what you can do is complete a bunch of missions but don't accept the reward, then travel to a rested zone, generate at least 1 rested XP, and accept them. When you're done for the day logout at a rested zone.

4) If you have 25% bonus XP boosts, use them, particularly early on.

5) Don't choose gear vendors according to planet. What do I mean by that? Well, maybe you're level 25 and doing Balmorra so you think going to the Balmorra vendor in the Imperial Fleet is the sensible thing to do. In doing so, however, you may be missing out on other mods, hilts, etc., that are already available to you in the next planet's vendor.

6) Learn your role. DPS, Tanks, and Healers, all focus on different stats and equip themselves to maximize those stats. Since you're playing a Marauder I would suggest consulting this guide. You'll need to focus on strength, accuracy, surge rating, and critical rating, in that order. That guide should also help you out in learning a rotation to maximize damage output.

7) Do (some) flashpoints. These are group instances (though if your level's high enough you can solo them) that, like heroics, reward you with XP, credits, and better adaptive gear than you'll find in heroics.

If you follow these tips, as well as what's been mentioned above, you should be about covered.

Edited by DarthKartus

I'm a Sith Marauder level 20. I'll admit i'm new to these games but no matter what I do it seems like a couple of hits and i'm dead. it's so frustrating. I really like the game though and I'd like to become more proficient.

Since the other stuff is already covered I'll add:

If you're still getting a handle on basics it wouldn't hurt to go after same level quests and NPCs, or get a level above before attempting them. When your proficiency builds up you'll know and not have to worry about keeping your gear as updated. The Kuat Drive Yards Flash Point can boost your Planetary Comms income for buying gear pieces and modifications for them.

Marauder leveling can be challenging since a lot of your useful abilities won't unlock until higher levels. Your healer companion is good for helping with that problem in the meantime.

Edited by Joesixxpack

3) Perhaps this is obvious but if you logout your character in a rested zone (e.g.: Imperial Fleet or cantinas), you generate rested XP. For practical purposes, this is when your XP bar looks green instead of yellow. If you kill enemies or deliver missions with rested XP, they'll give you twice as much XP. So what you can do is complete a bunch of missions but don't accept the reward, then travel to a rested zone, generate at least 1 rested XP, and accept them. When you're done for the day logout at a rested zone.

It should be noted that rested XP only applies to XP gained from creature ("mob") kills, not quest rewards. However, a lot of XP does come from that aspect of missions, so don't overlook the significance of rested XP when questing!

I can't help but get the feeling that the orange gear pieces you (OP) noted do not have armorings, mods, or enhancements in them. As mentioned, this means you're fighting naked for the purposes of stats. I generally do this at levels 1-10 while on the base planet, but as soon as I hit fleet I make sure to add the stat-giving A/M/E pieces to them. The most significant aspect, at lower levels anyway, is the armor rating you get. Without it, even wimpy mobs can do massive amounts of damage to you in short order.

You can get the inserts from 1, crafting, or 2, planetary comm vendors (7 per armoring/hilt/barrel, 2 per mod/enhancement - a full set or orange gear requires 7 armoring, 2 hilt/barrel (or 8/1 here if you have shield/focus as offhand), 9 mods, and 7 enhancements (95 planetary comms total). You can also trade warzone comms for planetary comms (40 to 1) if you find that you need more comms to gear up. And, I recommend you do this every four levels starting at level 13. There is certainly no need to replace them more frequently.

The other option, as noted above, is to equip the "strength" gear you find while questing. It is typically sufficient to keep you competitive. The only problem with it is that if you over-level the content to make it easier, you'll never find gear that is level appropriate because it drops based on mob level.

Happy hunting!

Thanks everyone for replying. I really appreciate it. I do have the healer now. I have him equipped but he doesn't really help much but i'm guessing that's because I didn't give him gear worth anything. Darth Karlus that's a lot of good information. When I have time to get on today I will try to put some to use. Nexnecis i'm not sure if I was in a heroic. All I know is that half of my energy was down by the time they killed my healer. I didn't stand a chance. Gear and stats are a little confusing I won't lie.

Thanks everyone for replying. I really appreciate it. I do have the healer now. I have him equipped but he doesn't really help much but i'm guessing that's because I didn't give him gear worth anything. Darth Karlus that's a lot of good information. When I have time to get on today I will try to put some to use. Nexnecis i'm not sure if I was in a heroic. All I know is that half of my energy was down by the time they killed my healer. I didn't stand a chance. Gear and stats are a little confusing I won't lie.

Healing companions are deadbeats at first, until you up their affection level. Picking choices during conversations that they'd agree with and giving them companion gifts that they like will do the trick.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Gear and a healer is nice, but of the classes I've played Marauder is easily the squishiest anyway. You're melee and have to get up close and personal, which means a lot of incoming damage. As said, take out the weakest enemies first. And if by any chance you can do it so ranged enemies have to move (hit one and go behind a wall for example) it will help a bit too. Killing packs piece by piece so that all of them can't hurt you at once is always good.

Hey guys. Here is an example of what I got. I have Marauders Legging (augmented) Armoring is Guardian armoring 7 armor rating 54 +7 Strength +11 endurance, Mod is Guardian Mod 7 Item rating 54 +9 strength +9 endurance, Enhancement is Critical enhancement 7 item rating 54 +14 Endurance +4 critical Rating, and Augment is Reflex Augment 7 item rating 54 +6 Aim +2 endurance. Most of the things I can find to put into my customizable gear or 6 or 7s. is this the best I can do at this level?

Hey guys. Here is an example of what I got. I have Marauders Legging (augmented) Armoring is Guardian armoring 7 armor rating 54 +7 Strength +11 endurance, Mod is Guardian Mod 7 Item rating 54 +9 strength +9 endurance, Enhancement is Critical enhancement 7 item rating 54 +14 Endurance +4 critical Rating, and Augment is Reflex Augment 7 item rating 54 +6 Aim +2 endurance. Most of the things I can find to put into my customizable gear or 6 or 7s. is this the best I can do at this level?

Bin the aim augment it's a waste of time.

Check your gear out closely. Many new players make the mistake of equipping the wrong gear for their class. As a Mara you should focus on strength gear. All other stats are not usable by you. You do not need or even want aim, cunning, or willpower.

Companions also have a main stat for their gear, I think Quinn is cunning. It will be the stat that gives them the most bonus to abilities if you mouse over them on the character sheet. Make sure you have the proper gear on your companions or they will be ineffectual.

Check the trainer and make sure you have all the abilities for your level, there are two different tabs there, make sure you have your advanced class abilities.

Be sure you are not running missions over your level by a lot or doing heroics. If you are well equipped and skilled you can do these things but starting out you want to run easier ones. Missions should be green or yellow but not orange. Anything with a +2 or +4 are group missions, it won't end well.

You have your healer now which is a good thing but now you must protect it. Quinn will keep you up but not if he is pulling most of the mobs. If he is under heavy attack he will heal himself and not you and he is quite squishy. A good opener for a Mara is jump then smash. This gets the mobs focused on you and leaves your healer free to heal you. You will not be able to keep everything off him but you don't want two or three common mobs beating on him while you are trying to take down a strong or elite one. Hit tougher mobs to get their attention then turn and wipe out smaller ones before you take the tough one down. If Quinn is dying before you, you are not keeping enough mobs off him.

A couple things on companions, healers in general. If you don't have the companion bar up hit ~ and it will bring it up. Make sure the healer is in healing mode, not a dps mode. This gets turned off sometimes and it really lowers their healing. Turn off any attacks that they have on. You are dps, you do the damage and they should just be healing. they will still do some damage but they will focus more on healing with those off. This is my preference but also turn off any channeled stun. This is a rather long channeled ability and you can take a lot of damage while they are standing there stunning one common mob.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.