The Harbinger, Begeren Colony, and The Bastion currently unavailable

TaitWatson

Hey folks,

We will be taking The Harbinger, Begeren Colony and The Bastion offline while we look into the ongoing connectivity issues.

I don't currently have an ETA for them being back online, but will update this thread as I get more information.

Thanks,

Tait

Edited by TaitWatson

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question, since this has been going on for a couple days now, why isn't anything permanent being done about it? Instead of just rebooting the servers and rolling everyone's characters back? This is causing a lot of unrest in the community... I don't normally post on forums, but this is getting a bit out of hand. I'm not looking for any kind of freebies or handouts, I just want to enjoy the game that I have put a LOT of money into. Sure, I could start characters on another server, but the amount of time I have put into my Legacy characters on Harbinger would take a very long time to reproduce.

Most people would say that not being able to access the server you play on isn't a big deal. I disagree. When you have spent years developing 10+ characters on a single server, starting over fresh is akin to a kick in the face. Starting fresh and new on a server where you have a good solid foundation of characters/income makes a world of difference.

I don't ask for much. Stable servers. That's all.

I get complaining that the server is experiencing problems. But complaining that the devs took down servers that were already not working properly in order to fix them is, frankly, silly.

Not silly at all. People are paying to play this game. With the legacy system most of us have all our eggs in one basket. Taking the server down in the middle of the day is BS.

Offering subs a prorate for down time on the other hand, I'm sure that would sound very silly to the folks at EA. Ethical, maybe, but definitely silly.

I get complaining that the server is experiencing problems. But complaining that the devs took down servers that were already not working properly in order to fix them is, frankly, silly.

Agreed. However, that it took them 40 minutes to realize they needed to restart the servers, and apparently only because forum-posters pointed the problem out to them, is far from praise-worthy.

Their server-health monitoring seems pretty inadequate for a game with hundreds of millions of dollars of investment and a million unique logins every month.

Offering subs a prorate for down time on the other hand, I'm sure that would sound very silly to the folks at EA. Ethical, maybe, but definitely silly.

The money is trivial. But I was just about to kick off some Conquest activities, and the clock is ticking on those. Getting 10 toons to the target takes a lot of advance work. Now instead of kicking it off this morning, it will have to wait until after RL work.

Not silly at all. People are paying to play this game. With the legacy system most of us have all our eggs in one basket. Taking the server down in the middle of the day is BS.

But you're missing the point that the server was experiencing massive issues anyway, so many people were unable to even play. Presumably, taking the server offline is the only way to fix this problem. Would you prefer that they just not fix it?

Again, being annoyed about the server problems is totally legitimate, but complaining about what is, most likely, the only way to fix the problem is, indeed, silly.

As for offering compenation for downtime, I don't really have any opinions on that, as I have absolutely no idea what the industry standard is.

so messed up was in the middle of doing heroic quests an without a warning bam im kicked out like seriously all mmo's give you a 15min warning before shutting down a server seriously?!?!

[sarcasm] Tait warned us on the forums. What, that isn't good enough for you? Don't you run multiple monitors with one constantly refreshing the Dev Tracker forum? No? Then you have only yourself to blame. [/sarcasm]

Hey folks,

We are bringing Begeren Colony back up shortly. The Bastion was never affected, and will remain up. Unfortunately, The Harbinger will be staying offline while we investigate the issues. I will continue to update this thread as I learn more.

Thank you for your patience!

-Tait