New Sniper Questions

Blockk

Hello All

Couple queries, Im not new to SWTOR but this is my first Sniper/Slinger

Whats the best Skill tree to follow for predominantly PvP but will hold its own in PvE as well ?

Do you use cover much in PvP or should I expect to damage while running more often than not ?

COVER QUERY - if your in cover I see you are protected from ranged players, if you have nothing to hide behind and are just crouching, are you taking the full force of the enemies abilities ? so pointless to just crouch ?

Thanks

If you are a Sniper/Slinger and you're crouched, then you ARE in cover. That's what that little wall is that appears in front of you.

If you're an Operative/Scoundrel and you crouch ... you're just kneeling on the ground.

Thanks - I guess I will see the cover wall when I choose Sniper as AC

You will 99% of the time be in cover.

Crouching on the spot is different to rolling behind an object.

I've mained a Sniper for a long time, and in all honesty I'm not sure what the exact difference between Crouching and Cover is.

I primarily PvP and I've removed the keybind to roll behind cover. It works 9 times out of 10, but occasionally you'll roll to the wrong object and depending on the situation you are currently in, can be extremely annoying.

Someone attacking you when you're crouched will sometimes see "dodge" (if I remember right).

Someone attacking you behind cover will sometimes see "Cover"

I may just be imagining it, but I THINK being in cover provides you with more defense.

All three trees are pretty good in PvP at the moment.

Lethality has amazing DoT damage, but it's not very good for general PvE. It's excellent in Operations, however.

Engineering is the 'defensive' spec for PvP and has some pretty good burst too. I honestly haven't played Engineering in a long time in PvE, so I can't really say. I know it was good when you could rollbang, but that's been patched.

Marksman is pretty much my go-to spec. It's great burst, good in general PvE and in operations.

I used to play Sniper in PvP all day when I last played, and it was amazing. Though, I took a year break and came back a couple weeks ago. I'm not entirely sure if any of their defense has been altered, but I feel like I constantly die now. it could just be that I'm being focused as a threat.. but it has been getting pretty frustrating.

Happy headshots!

EDIT: Actually, just thinking back to PvE now.. (not sure if it's same in PvP) but if you're behind cover and you stay behind cover, everything infront of you firing at you would miss. Only when you started casting the likes of Ambush/Snipe when you stood up to cast it, would you take damage.

"Crouches in place, taking cover if used behind an object that provides cover. Crouching enables the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead."

Edited by Jayshames

Hello All

Couple queries, Im not new to SWTOR but this is my first Sniper/Slinger

Whats the best Skill tree to follow for predominantly PvP but will hold its own in PvE as well ?

Do you use cover much in PvP or should I expect to damage while running more often than not ?

COVER QUERY - if your in cover I see you are protected from ranged players, if you have nothing to hide behind and are just crouching, are you taking the full force of the enemies abilities ? so pointless to just crouch ?

Thanks

Most of your main abilities are used from cover, such as EP, SOS, snipe and ambush.

From what I can think of, the base cover (no buffs from the skill trees) gives you 20% damage reduction to ranged attacks (White damage) at all times. When there is a shield above an enemies head, that means you have crouched or rolled in to cover behind an object, and as long as you don't attack, you are immune to white ranged damage. If you attack you get the 20% reduction like when you have a red shield.

Plus while in cover you are immune to leaps and pulls

As for the specs:

Marksman: middle in defensives.

Worst in mobility

Best at switching targets (no set up)

Middle utility

Engineering: Best defensives

Middle mobility

Middle at switching targets (1-2GCD)

Best utility

Lethality: worst defensives

Best mobility

Worst at switching targets (2-3 GCD)

Least utility.

The specs are all my opinion, and might be engineering biased

Most of your main abilities are used from cover, such as EP, SOS, snipe and ambush.

From what I can think of, the base cover (no buffs from the skill trees) gives you 20% damage reduction to ranged attacks (White damage) at all times. When there is a shield above an enemies head, that means you have crouched or rolled in to cover behind an object, and as long as you don't attack, you are immune to white ranged damage. If you attack you get the 20% reduction like when you have a red shield.

Plus while in cover you are immune to leaps and pulls

As for the specs:

Marksman: middle in defensives.

Worst in mobility

Best at switching targets (no set up)

Middle utility

Engineering: Best defensives

Middle mobility

Middle at switching targets (1-2GCD)

Best utility

Lethality: worst defensives

Best mobility

Worst at switching targets (2-3 GCD)

Least utility.

The specs are all my opinion, and might be engineering biased

solid overview - thanks for taking the time, helpful

You will 99% of the time be in cover.

Crouching on the spot is different to rolling behind an object.

I've mained a Sniper for a long time, and in all honesty I'm not sure what the exact difference between Crouching and Cover is.

I primarily PvP and I've removed the keybind to roll behind cover. It works 9 times out of 10, but occasionally you'll roll to the wrong object and depending on the situation you are currently in, can be extremely annoying.

Someone attacking you when you're crouched will sometimes see "dodge" (if I remember right).

Someone attacking you behind cover will sometimes see "Cover"

I may just be imagining it, but I THINK being in cover provides you with more defense.

All three trees are pretty good in PvP at the moment.

Lethality has amazing DoT damage, but it's not very good for general PvE. It's excellent in Operations, however.

Engineering is the 'defensive' spec for PvP and has some pretty good burst too. I honestly haven't played Engineering in a long time in PvE, so I can't really say. I know it was good when you could rollbang, but that's been patched.

Marksman is pretty much my go-to spec. It's great burst, good in general PvE and in operations.

I used to play Sniper in PvP all day when I last played, and it was amazing. Though, I took a year break and came back a couple weeks ago. I'm not entirely sure if any of their defense has been altered, but I feel like I constantly die now. it could just be that I'm being focused as a threat.. but it has been getting pretty frustrating.

Happy headshots!

EDIT: Actually, just thinking back to PvE now.. (not sure if it's same in PvP) but if you're behind cover and you stay behind cover, everything infront of you firing at you would miss. Only when you started casting the likes of Ambush/Snipe when you stood up to cast it, would you take damage.

"Crouches in place, taking cover if used behind an object that provides cover. Crouching enables the use of cover-only abilities, and so long as you remain down behind a cover object, most ranged attackers strike your cover instead."

There's no buff from using actual cover and the portable cover from crouching in place. There used to be bu that was years ago, can't remember if it even made it to live or was just in beta.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.