StrongHolds are not Player Housing

AERHAE

I would agree that Strongholds are not a very good version of player housing...not horrible, but certainly not in the upper tier compared to other housing systems in the industry. The choice of hooks instead of open decoration was a poor choice IMO.

But...and this is just my view....I give the system a pass on this because of the HUGE QoL improvement that Strongholds brought to the game. The ability to transport to the stronghold, have access to the GTN, mailbox, vendors, cargo, legacy cargo, workbench and appearance designer kiosks AND can zone right back to my prior location.

I've used Strongholds to quick travel to my starship quite often (when it doesn't interfere with the quest I am on), quick stop to the stronghold to clear out my bags, grab supplies, etc....it really made the game much more enjoyable for me.

So for me Strongholds does not have to be housing. As a QoL improvement and convenience hub it more than makes up for it's shortcomings.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are two different games, SWTOR is a theme park and SWG is a sandbox. SWG had huge space to ensure the typica sandbox functioning (house; city; crafting, players commerce), SWTOR doesn't have these huge space so it is impossible to recreate a SWG house system on this game, the SWTOR's target is in theme park aspect. Edited by VanderII

The original SWG was a great game in many ways. It had the potential to be the greatest in many ways. That was until the developers decided to bend their adult player base over and go all "Deliverance" on em so they could chase them away and bring in the kiddies. I logged into my game one day to find that instead of a new expansion, my character now had to choose a class in some dumbed (to WOW level) down quasi twitch based shooter and my efforts to become a Jedi for the last year or so were meaningless. It was the single worst betrayal of a player base in gaming history. Good riddance. If this game drove the final stake into the heart of that abomination that my game had become than all I can say is thank you.

Did you just necro a nearly 4 month old post, just to complain about a game that shut down over 3 years ago?

Stepping aside from the mention of SWG (might I remind folks that SWG was/is not the only game with a great housing system on the market) it can be argued that this is a poor system....it's all a matter of taste, but I would assume a majority of folks (speculative naturally based on feedback around the net) were disappointed with the choice to go with hooks.

I think some folks are fine with it, others do not care. I am one of the ones that does not care. As far as I am concerned housing still does not exist in this game, and that is fine. I am very happy with my stronghold, as a convenience hub.

As a vet from SWG, I love both games and if SWG was still alive, I'd probably be playing both. But both did things wrong and both did things right. They are also their own separate beasts!

Everyone I knew was almost constantly bored in SWG for years. They'd log in, do a few things then complain that there was nothing more meaningful to do and then log out. My favorite character was my Ent, so I'd park my rear in the Mos Eisley cantina and just stay there for hours, listening to players vent and ask me if I had suggestions on what to do. Most players I knew on SWG didn't like housing, even fewer bothered with space or leveling pets...etc.

I personally loved my houses. I had a whole fleet of them on Tatooine, but it was a pain having to go to the Starport then drive to get there because for a long time I wasn't in a guild city (because I had so many houses lol). I hated seeing houses out in the middle of nowhere or trying to squeeze between a bunch to get past them. I even remember those pack-up events where you'd have to roam around and find houses where the player hadn't logged in for months and then pack it up to make room because there was just SO FREAKING MANY HOUSES EVERYWHERE. So that is one thing Bioware did right IMO. Instanced is so much nicer and it doesn't force the housing feature on you. I can remember spending HOURS driving all over the place in an effort to shop for things or having to spend 15 minutes alone driving in an effort to locate some middle-of-nowhere house to buy one stupid hat piece. I love the GTN and it's instant-ness, though I wish items stayed up longer than two days.

While I loved being able to put things in my house wherever I pleased, it was also aggravating and tedious as all heck. It took hours to set things up and while I do miss having more freedom with TOR's housing, I appreciate the hook system for its simplicity. Now if they were to add a new "layout" that was freeform? I'd be very happy but would still use the hook system with the freeform, if that was possible. Like....hooks for the basics and then freeform to put things on tables or something? Maybe? I even remember the collection/achievement thing SWG had where you were forced to go to various places on various planets and collect askew paintings and whatnot just to be able to pitch them. Ahhh, memories.

I do miss the sandbox element SWG had, but I think SWTOR has done more things right -- especially lately and I hope that the housing system doesn't fall too much by the wayside in future content updates. Hopefully they'll continue to expand it and make it more meaningful. But, who knows? I like it for what it is right now. While I wish it had more freedom, I enjoy it and have had fun setting up my houses. :D

Edited by blindxsecrets