The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Rebels: Extended Trailer

Beniboybling

Seven minute long preview of what I assume to be the first episode:

If its saying not avaliable in your country try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzy-0adQhc

I must admit, I was pretty unimpressed. The first word that comes to mind is dry, then poor quality. I really hope it gets better, but at this point I have my doubts. Stale acting, cheap animation and childish gags are big hurdles to overcome.

And where was the music damn it! This is Star Wars, there should never be any silent scenes!

Sorry to be so negative about this :p, but if this is what TCW was cancelled for I demand better.

Edited by Beniboybling

Mhm, don't think it was that bad to be quite honest. Shocked to see they're actually killing Imperials. I think those 7 Minutes had more on-screen deaths of Imperials than all of Episode V.

Also it always amuses me to see the aiming of Stormtroopers. Never gets old.

Edited by JeffrenBrek

To be fair, TCW started out quite cheesy as well but started hitting its stride later on. I don't need to remind anyone about Stinky the hutt do I? :rolleyes:

I wasn't impressed with that seven minutes myself, but it sounds like they are showing a different preview next monday, and that looked more action oriented.

To be fair, TCW started out quite cheesy as well but started hitting its stride later on. I don't need to remind anyone about Stinky the hutt do I? :rolleyes:

I wasn't impressed with that seven minutes myself, but it sounds like they are showing a different preview next monday, and that looked more action oriented.

TCW definitely improved over time but to be quite honest I enjoyed the movie, and I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the first few episodes. I was writhing while watching this. Something must be up.

Massive difference.

This is made by the TCW crew, they've gone from Dark, Mysterious and thrilling to Dora the Explorer on purpose, this is the story and plan for the show.

The clone wars was an experiment, this isn't.

Massive difference.

This is made by the TCW crew, they've gone from Dark, Mysterious and thrilling to Dora the Explorer on purpose, this is the story and plan for the show.

Precisely, this pilot episode is a embarrassment.

Honestly though we can't lay all the blame at their feet, its becoming quite apparent to me that Disney have given them a tight budget, the animation is cheap, the acting is cheap and they can't even afford a full time orchestra. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beniboybling

Massive difference.

I think its too soon to tell from about 7 minutes, not even the full episode. If that trend continues throughout the next few episodes, I will coincide.

What happened to the optimism from the trailer?

I think its too soon to tell from about 7 minutes, not even the full episode. If that trend continues throughout the next few episodes, I will coincide.

What happened? This preview happened :/

The trailer looked fine, but I was still 50/50, it looked like they were gonna go one of two routes and they picked the kid one.

It is a more kid oriented channel compared to Cartoon network to be fair. Although they did air at one point Tron: Uprising, which is a strong contrast from most of the other other shows they air there. Quite the violent and dark show. Cutting people tongues. Executing witnesses and mobs. Too bad it got canned.

idk, I wasn't overly impressed with this first sequence, but it might get better. I like to give things of the benefit of the doubt. I also have a bit of a higher threshold of tolerance when it comes to Star Wars related content.

Of the character models, the only one I particularly didn't like was Ezra with that hair and that nose. The other ones don't like bad at all, aside from my dislike of the pink mandolorian armor.

Edited by Nickious

I expect it will have its moments, I hope it will have its moments. But I agree with Sel I've been 50/50 as well, they're were a lot of cool looking scenes but among almost all of then there was always a moment that made me raise an eyebrow.
Correction, this nearly 8 minutes of a pilot episode is an "embarrassment". :rolleyes:
Assuming that it is the standard 20 minutes long that is nearly 40% of the episode. I think it warrants a bit of worry. Edited by Beniboybling

Hmm, what to make of this!?

First of on a cynical note; Star Wars is the best selling, most profitable franchise there is, in other words put a SW logo on it and it will sell. I think this is what we all know to be true, our 'hunger' for anything Star Warsy is never ending and unquenchable, and living by this fact, knowing it, we have been burned and overwhelmingly disappointed on more occasions then we now would like to admit; Therefore we have adapted The Basic Star Wars Fan Approach - Hate it before you love it, if you love it, be overly critical and remember if they cared about Star Wars like we do it would be great from the start, but now I can't shake the feeling of being duped and sucked dry for cash!!!

This TV series is demographically pointed toward children to secure the retail, franchise, and ultimately to secure a growing fan base, just as the purpose was with TWC. But what happened to TWC was a childrens series turned in to pure Star Wars Fanfiction, the last episodes in season 5 is brilliant and and the Yoda episodes in season 6, well, if they only aired those as season 6 I think we all had been satisfied, so to speak.

I think, to be able to take this series to heart, we need to use our, by now, well tuned Star Wars Senses!! As we learnt to fast forward between the cheesy parts of the prequels, as we have learnt to analyse the lore content in every Star Wars thing we have come across. We must now, by the aid of the Force defend our selfs in our fandom, but yet again adapt The Basic Star Wars Fan Approach, I suggest the following;

Look past the cheesy animation, use your Star Wars scholar abilitys, tuned from decades of fandom, look past the cheesy portraits, filter all this through a mature, well developed Star Wars Sense and watch the story told; What did we see? In a world of no Jedis we witnessed a connection between Kanan and the boy. We got a glimpse of the ordinary, everyday life in the Star Wars world. I admit it's not much but it is the essentials. And ina good Star Wars story the journey and growth of the protagonist is the key element. My guess is that we gonna see a Master and Padawan development between Kanan and the kid. So I'd say there is some potential depth in the story and hope;

The obvious EP4 reference in the opening scene earns them some extra points and might tell us that the cheesy stuff isn't really what they want to show us either, remember it's Canon Lore we're watching and let us suck it dry of it. Disney will make a fumble eventually and we'll be there to remind them of it.

This comes across as gimmicky, but TCW did too. However TCW was aimed at around 12 yrs old at the start and stuck with that audience, the story got darker as the age of the fanbase grew. Hopefully we will see the same with this but the sheer number of "which gibbon wrote/acted this!?" moments is not encouraging. This seems to be aimed at 8 yr olds which is a little out of the Star Wars age range, or they could be showing us something 70% done and giving us something decent with teh proper episode.

Still annoyed that TCW was cancelled at its peak for this.

I guess I was the only one that mostly liked it. Didnt find anything to offensive to my senses. The Star Destroyer at the start made me Squee a little..... I want one..... The stormtroopers didnt get much chance to shoot from what I saw. The 1 time they were missing a lot so was Kanaan since they were all in a shoot out behind Crates.

Speaking of which:

2:14

Honestly I am still looking forward to it, much more then i was looking forward to Clone Wars, cus it unlike The clone wars it doesnt immidiately piss me off on premise :p for me to go watch a Terrible movie that kicks the show off. One chance and the movie failed hard for me.....

Edited by tunewalker

It looks interesting but considering this is airing on a children's network and designed for children then I believe my opinions concerning this show is null and void due to the fact that I haven't been a child in 30 years and therefore the show is clearly not aimed at my demographic. Edited by Cassidan

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a kiddie show no doubt about it. TCW atleast was a teen show that matured into a teen-friendly adult show. Cartoon Network has a large adult viewership especially from TCW's timeslot on which is probably a good part of the reason they changed direction around season 3 and TCW was also being co-aired/syndicated on TNT during its run which is a almost purely adult network.

This show, however, you can tell right off the bat is playful, friendly, colourful (check out the contrast compared to TCW's darker art). This is a show about the Dark Times and they seem brighter than The Clone Wars which takes place during the age of the Republic. What's worse, it's being aired on a purely kids network with little to no adult-demographic, which means it will never take the direction TCW did.

Say what you will about GL's personal movie-making, but as far as company direction he had it right. We had 1313, he wanted a mature Live-action series he was saving money for, he let (if not outright pushed for) TCW take an adult turn, and he didnt abolish the EU (He retconned some things, but i think we can all agree - We'll take targeted retcons over a full nuke every day).

Sorry for my rant but what i'm seeing isnt promising and when you get people saying it might get better, you have to address the fact that the overall circumstances are different than TCW's. Unless Rebels get's syndicated on a more grown-up network, don't expect this show to grow up any faster than it's viewers.