Other Ways To Earn Stuff

AlienEyeTX

Plenty has been written about strongholds, legacy storage, and guild ships costing too much (or not enough, depending on your wealth). Some ideas have been tossed around about how to make everything more accessible. Some favor cost reductions, some favor completing a certain achievement so many times in the game. These are good. I'm starting this thread to continue that discussion and bring it all into one place. So here are some of my thoughts on great ways to earn content without alienating a majority of the players (maybe):

1) Strongholds. These would be great to earn through personal missions. Pretty much just like the missions that we play when going through story, except the reward is a house and then expansions on the house with each successive mission. They would increase in difficulty as we play through them. So having a big house would truly be something noteworthy.

2) Legacy storage. Be a subscriber and get full access. Sorry, that's just how I feel it should be.

3) Guild ships. Create a new flashpoint or operation. The difficulty could scale with the group, but it would be significantly difficult. The reward for completing the FP or Op would be the ship. Of course, this could be replayable for other random loot or to unlock additional guild ship perks. Alternatively, a contested area could be created for team PvP. Capture and defense of the area (a shipyard or hangar) would result in earning the ship.

In my opinion, it would be more fun to earn these things through gameplay or new content, rather than just seeing who has the deepest pockets.

What do you think? Have any other great ideas? Let's hear them!

I agree that subs should get something more, and I also think they should reward long time players and Collector's Edition owners with the release of strongholds. I fully understand that it is totally elitist to think so. But I do think that rewards will have a positive effect that will outweigh the potential cost of dissatisfaction from people who can't get the special shiny things.

Plenty has been written about strongholds, legacy storage, and guild ships costing too much (or not enough, depending on your wealth). Some ideas have been tossed around about how to make everything more accessible. Some favor cost reductions, some favor completing a certain achievement so many times in the game. These are good. I'm starting this thread to continue that discussion and bring it all into one place. So here are some of my thoughts on great ways to earn content without alienating a majority of the players (maybe):

1) Strongholds. These would be great to earn through personal missions. Pretty much just like the missions that we play when going through story, except the reward is a house and then expansions on the house with each successive mission. They would increase in difficulty as we play through them. So having a big house would truly be something noteworthy.

2) Legacy storage. Be a subscriber and get full access. Sorry, that's just how I feel it should be.

3) Guild ships. Create a new flashpoint or operation. The difficulty could scale with the group, but it would be significantly difficult. The reward for completing the FP or Op would be the ship. Of course, this could be replayable for other random loot or to unlock additional guild ship perks. Alternatively, a contested area could be created for team PvP. Capture and defense of the area (a shipyard or hangar) would result in earning the ship.

In my opinion, it would be more fun to earn these things through gameplay or new content, rather than just seeing who has the deepest pockets.

What do you think? Have any other great ideas? Let's hear them!

Its set up the way it is to encourage CC purchases. Sadly that is the kind of game we have now. More focus on ways to push CC sales and less on actual content. Though it doesn't seem like they are going to do that with the flagship....it really wouldn't surprise me if that had a CC tag on it to.

Its set up the way it is to encourage CC purchases. Sadly that is the kind of game we have now. More focus on ways to push CC sales and less on actual content. Though it doesn't seem like they are going to do that with the flagship....it really wouldn't surprise me if that had a CC tag on it to.

You should research before you comment.

The Guild Ship is credits only, no CC purchase allowed.

You should research before you comment.

The Guild Ship is credits only, no CC purchase allowed.

First of all, try reading what I actually said. Second of all, we won't know 100% till the PTS goes back online.

Yes we do. It's already been stated by those who would know.

If I tried to count with my hands on how many times a community rep or a developer has stated something and then when something goes onto the PTS or goes on the live server its completely different I'd need multiple arms to be able to count it all. Case in point, last week on the stream the dev said we could fill every single hook then suddenly people get on the PTS and find out there is a limit, one of which could be reached just by filling out one room.

So ya, again, not to say it will, I'm just saying I'll wait for it to go live before I believe what a dev says beforehand.

Edited by Raansu

If I tried to count with my hands on how many times a community rep or a developer has stated something and then when something goes onto the PTS or goes on the live server its completely different I'd need multiple arms to be able to count it all. Case in point, last week on the stream the dev said we could fill every single hook then suddenly people get on the PTS and find out there is a limit, one of which could be reached just by filling out one room.

So ya, again, not to say it will, I'm just saying I'll wait for it to go live before I believe what a dev says beforehand.

Well then, you can show yourself out of the conversation since it doesn't really apply to you.

Well then, you can show yourself out of the conversation since it doesn't really apply to you.

Why? Because I pointed out why this game has such small content releases that actually involve doing something? I would love if BW did what the OP suggested, but it wont ever happen. Selling CC is BW's main priority now, not content. Its almost insulting that they still have a subscription service.

On Reddit, just recently, there was this user who brought up the idea of introducing Basilisk War droids as mounts.

I honestly thought it was a wonderful idea.

While thinking about it, I also suggested that it would be cool if Bioware implemented a mini-quest of sorts, in order to explain its introduction and make it more fun.

In the end though, when reality kicked in, I realized that it would end up in the CM and nothing of what I had envisioned would ever take place, outside my mind.

Same with the stuff you suggest, OP.

It's all sound IMHO but quite frankly, judging from what Bioware has been going for, "too much hassle, not enough recoup."

On Reddit, just recently, there was this user who brought up the idea of introducing Basilisk War droids as mounts.

I honestly thought it was a wonderful idea.

While thinking about it, I also suggested that it would be cool if Bioware implemented a mini-quest of sorts, in order to explain its introduction and make it more fun.

In the end though, when reality kicked in, I realized that it would end up in the CM and nothing of what I had envisioned would ever take place, outside my mind.

Same with the stuff you suggest, OP.

It's all sound IMHO but quite frankly, judging from what Bioware has been going for, "too much hassle, not enough recoup."

I couldn't see that happening for a mount in either case (with or without the existance of the CM and micro transactions).

They did implement story for Treek and HK-51 (more for HK, but still story and cutscenes for Treek) despite Treek being very CM oriented.

I couldn't see that happening for a mount in either case (with or without the existance of the CM and micro transactions).

Not sure why exactly.

They did something different with the Tauntauns. Going for the next best thing would be the logical step.

They did implement story for Treek and HK-51 (more for HK, but still story and cutscenes for Treek) despite Treek being very CM oriented.

Treek didn't even have a quest. Yet again, Bioware just chose to wall her off behind a credit sink, namely one million credits, and not much else.

HK-51 wasn't that much fun truth be told but it was something.

So full legacy storage = 1 Galaxy class ship? Don't see the logic there.

1 Free

2 5 mil or 2500 CC

3 10 mil or 2500 CC

4 15 mil or 2500 CC

5 20 mil or 2500 CC

Total 50 mil or 10000 CC

That's all the logic BW needs. I guarantee the majority will use CC to unlock the legacy slots.

Edited by Raansu

Given the early hype re your "legacy", I was hoping that once a person hit 50 there'd be more than a title.

50 MILLION credits for full legacy storage? LOL. So full legacy storage = 1 Galaxy class ship? Don't see the logic there.

There's an important difference: you cannot unlock a Guild ship a little at a time.

We are likely to see the following occur, with the proviso that the player may stop at any point:

• Player gets free tab of LS, likes it.
  • After a while, player winds up with 5 million creds to spend, decides another tab of LS would be nice, buys it instead of a fancy mount or a Revan statue.
  • The player grows more wealthy, goes looking for something to spend his 10 million creds on. Decides that having another tab of LS would be nice, buys it for 10 million.
  • The player continues to amass wealth, and one day finds he has 15 million spare creds he can use to get another tab. So he does, because after having three tabs for a while, he found a use for the fourth.
  • After a while the player has rebuilt his bank again and more, and spends another 20 million creds on the last tab of LS.

Getting together 50 million is hard. But getting together 5 million, 10 million, 15 million, or 20 million at one time is easier. And frankly, which is worth more to a player, a GS or a fully-expanded LS? It will depend of course on the player. If I could only have one or the other, I might take the LS, depending on what we learn about Guild Ships and Conquests.

Not sure why exactly.

They did something different with the Tauntauns. Going for the next best thing would be the logical step.

I'm just saying I don't see them putting in the effort of actually having a storyline for a mount.

Treek didn't even have a quest. Yet again, Bioware just chose to wall her off behind a credit sink, namely one million credits, and not much else.

HK-51 wasn't that much fun truth be told but it was something.

Yes, I never said there was a quest, but there was a story and there were cutscenes. That's what I meant.

There's an important difference: you cannot unlock a Guild ship a little at a time.

We are likely to see the following occur, with the proviso that the player may stop at any point:

• Player gets free tab of LS, likes it.
  • After a while, player winds up with 5 million creds to spend, decides another tab of LS would be nice, buys it instead of a fancy mount or a Revan statue.
  • The player grows more wealthy, goes looking for something to spend his 10 million creds on. Decides that having another tab of LS would be nice, buys it for 10 million.
  • The player continues to amass wealth, and one day finds he has 15 million spare creds he can use to get another tab. So he does, because after having three tabs for a while, he found a use for the fourth.
  • After a while the player has rebuilt his bank again and more, and spends another 20 million creds on the last tab of LS.

Getting together 50 million is hard. But getting together 5 million, 10 million, 15 million, or 20 million at one time is easier. And frankly, which is worth more to a player, a GS or a fully-expanded LS? It will depend of course on the player. If I could only have one or the other, I might take the LS, depending on what we learn about Guild Ships and Conquests.

Yeah, I've been trying to tell people that for a while now, but it seems that it's "impossible" for some to use only part of the LS... it's all or nothing.

10k CC isn't much at all.

10k CC is $80. In what world is that "not much at all"? Especially when thousands of people will be spending that kind of money. There is an assumed amount of 300k-500k subscribers. Possibly less but no one knows. But even if only 50k people purchased a full unlock for legacy storage that's $4,000,000.

Why make content when they can put incentive like that to get something with less effort just by buying it with real money? That is the logic behind the legacy storage being so expensive with in game credits. Its to lure them into spending real money.

10k CC is $80. In what world is that "not much at all"? Especially when thousands of people will be spending that kind of money. There is an assumed amount of 300k-500k subscribers. Possibly less but no one knows. But even if only 50k people purchased a full unlock for legacy storage that's $4,000,000.

Why make content when they can put incentive like that to get something with less effort just by buying it with real money? That is the logic behind the legacy storage being so expensive with in game credits. Its to lure them into spending real money.

$80 is not a lot of money. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.