Physical strength of Jedi Knights

JFrombaugh

The Jedi Order has a long history of believing in mind-over-body and using that philosophy and the Force to enhance their skills in combat, similar to monks. But there are distinct differences between the Consular and the Knight, and it's confirmed in Wookiepedia that the training Jedi receive depends on their "path".

For example, The Jedi Consular is fairly weak physically, yet has had such a strong connection to the Force that he can lift massive objects with it (at least that's how I think of him). The Knight on the other hand, was chosen to become one because he had shown great skill in dueling.

It's confirmed that lot of the JK's impressive physical feats are done with the help of the Force (for example moving quickly despite wearing heavy armor, and JG has access to Force Push), yet your primary stat as DPS is Strength. So this got me thinking: Beyond the emphasis on lightsaber combat training, there isn't really a whole lot of insight in this game or the movies as to the differences between JK and JC training. A lot of the "trials" seem to be based on actual experience and action.

However, the Order tends to decide on where to put students based on what area they show talent in, as shown in the storylines. So if I had to wager a guess, I'd guess that only Padawans who showed sufficient physical strength would be allowed to become Jedi Guardians or Sentinels. For instance, you might have to be able to bench press 80 kg without use of the Force, or something like that. I don't know if the Jedi Temple has a weight room/gym for training, though that would be kind of cool.

So what do you think? Are Jedi Knights very athletic even without any use of the Force? Or does a lot of their "strength" actually come from the Force much like the Jedi Consular's lifting ability?

Edited by JFrombaugh

I like to think this. Even perhaps their connection with the Force has an unconscious effect upon their physical state. Perhaps some just have a more physical connection through the Force. Its just something they don't actually have any control over.

So what do you think? Are Jedi Knights very athletic even without any use of the Force? Or does a lot of their "strength" actually come from the Force much like the Jedi Consular's lifting ability?

I think all Jedi Knights are very athletic.

Their beyond-human movements and strength obviously come from aid of the Force.

Jedi are not really divided into 'classes' really. Some certainly show a great adeptness with Control type powers, some with Alter powers and even Sense powers. Strength is based on the species that the Jedi is. Certainly they can call on the force to aid them, allowing them to things that seem beyond normal for any species.

Since Jedi Knight NPCs in game and Jedi Knights seen in the movies are quite well trained I have always tought that Jedi training and especially Jedi Knight training includes also physical training.

Dunno, when you say "Jedi Knight" I always think about 20 year old dude with brown hair, Valiant Jedi typed clothing and male 2-3 body type.

Jedi Consular brings to mind young slim female brunette with white robes but only because my own main is Sage who looks like that :o

One thing if you look at the Order and how their rank is set up Jedi Knights is a rank assigned to all Jedi (regardless of Consular or Guardian) that have passed their tests. So actually calling when you say Jedi Knight you are actually referring to Jedi that have passed their trials.

Jedi Initiate (or Youngling or "Jedi Hopeful") – The youngest members of the Order, these Force-sensitive children were given the rank of Initiate when they began their communal training in clans. Recruited from worlds throughout the galaxy where blood testing was required upon birth, Initiates were removed from their families and brought to a Jedi academy for formal training.

Jedi Padawan – After being selected for individual tutelage under a single Jedi Knight or Jedi Master, Initiates were given the title of Padawan. Eligible for this rank following the successful completion of the Initiate Trials, Padawans were typically taken at adolescence and completed their training away from the academy. Per tradition, Padawans of a hair-growing species would wear a long braid of hair behind their ear; non-haired Padawans were encouraged to wear a type of jewelry, a tattoo, or other body modification. A Jedi Knight or Jedi Master could have only one apprentice at a time, and the Padawan had to be promoted to the rank of Jedi Knight before another apprentice could be chosen; a practice that was formalized following the Great Sith War. While in place, the policy could be revoked should the Order see a decline in number, and necessity forces the apprenticeship of several students to a single master. Following several unsuccessful attempts at the Initiate Trials or if a student is not chosen by a Master, the Council of Reconciliation would place the student within the Jedi Service Corps. Depending on where the student's talents lay, this might be the Agricultural Corps, the Medical Corps, the Educational Corps or the Exploration Corps. If this role did not suit a particular student, they could choose to leave the Order entirely.[

Jedi Knight – Following a period of nearly a decade of one-on-one training with a master, a disciplined Padawan was eligible to attempt the Jedi Trials. Upon successfully completing all tests put forth, a Padawan's braid was severed by the High Council and their life as a Knight began. No longer attached to a master, Knights were free to accept missions from the Council, pursue specialized training on one of the three branches of Knighthood, or take their own Padawan.

Jedi Master – A Knight who showed great understanding of the Force and managed to instruct a Padawan and train them successfully to the level of a Jedi Knight was elevated to the rank of Master by the High Council. Self-declaration of the title was frowned upon and rare practice in the latter days of the Order, but not uncommon during war times or periods of disbandment. Amongst the Order's Masters, only a select few were appointed to one of the Jedi Councils. Made up exclusively of wise, experienced Masters, the Councils of the Order had different levels of membership, ensuring fresh perspectives were expressed as new events occurred. The High Council was made up of 12 masters, five of them holding life terms, four holding long-terms, and three holding short-terms. The elected leader of the Council was known as the Master of the Order and was often bestowed upon the acting Grand Master; the recognized leader of the entire Order.

• 3 weeks later...
The Jedi are suppose to only use the force in last resort so they train in there area of expertise (diplomacy, combat, healing, etc). Also i belive the parallel with monk and there quest for enligtment is good (except for jedi it is for there understanding of the force :) ). Some do it with physical chalenge (guardian) and some with meditation and knowledge (consular).

As I recall from some novels people were at times surprised that Luke Skywalker was such a compact and muscular guy. "The Force" somehow made people assume he'd be a weedy mystic with no physical strength at all. But as they say... A healthy spirit in a healthy body. Meditating is so much easier when your body doesn't ache just from walking up the steps to the temple.