shield generator versus power generator?

bob-a

As a dps juggernaut I was basically wondering how big the difference is between using a shield generator with dps mods in it, or a power generator with the same mods.

In other words, how big is the effect of the force rating you lose if you use a shield generator? I hardly have any force based attacks, does this rating effect lightsaber attacks as well?

Someone on the fleet told me a juggernaut cant shield if he/she is not in Soresu stance, but my stats screen does show a shield/absorb rating when I have a shield generator equipped, regardless of the stance Im in. (Soresu just adds 20% to that number). Can I shield in a dps stance?

Shield generators are really only for Tanks. When you use Soresu form, you activate it's chance to shield an attack (about 15% base) and absorb damage (also a 15% base). Having gear on with Shield Chance and Absorb rating raises the chance. You must be in Soresu stance for the shield to function. 15% will only happen only so often, not worth the trouble

Shield generators also have about 2/3 the Force Power of a Focus (or non shield Generator with Force Power on it) means about missing about 100-125 Force and Weapon Damage at 55. Could be more, haven't tested this in quite some time.

Long story short, it is completely worthless to use a Shield Generator as a DPS Jugg

Edited by mastervalkar

If you're not stacking tank stats and using tank stance, a Shield only has a 5% chance to reduce damage by 20%.

Whoopdeedoo.

Don't kid yourself. Shields are only for tanks.

5%. Yeah, its been a while since my Guardian tanked, and my Jugg never has tanked.

Use a Focus/Melee Generator as a DPS. Period

Regardless of spec (unless tanking), a significant portion of your damage is force damage.

Vengeance:

Force Scream, shatter, situational use of smash + force push, bleeds from scream/shatter/impale

Rage:

Force Sweep, Force Scream, Force Lash, Force Crush

In both cases, the force damage is 40-50% of your damage. So yeah, you lose out on a decent chunk of your damage by not using a focus offhand.

Oh and if you actually care about it, the damage dealt by force stasis is also force damage.

Also Enraged Defense runs off your bonus healing, which is boosted by power/aim/force power.

I think the only time you'd think about doing this would be in pvp. If you have a shield equipped, then when you get focused you can switch stances to soresu form. Still, I've never heard of anybody doing that.

Because it's totally pointless. Our defense cooldowns are so good that you don't NEED to stance dance if you're getting focused. Learning how to use the defense cooldowns is part of learning to be a good Jugg in PvP. Bad Juggs will try to take the "easy" way out and use a shield or Soresu form so they don't have to learn the defense cooldowns, and their whole team will suffer for it.

buy both and switch before going in combat if you aim at a stance dance playstyle

Terrible advice. Too much work for a nonexistent payoff.

Edited by Vid-szhite