Should Bind on Pickup be removed (or changed)?

Khevar

There have been a number of posts about legacy storage, unhappy that it can't be used to circumvent BoP restrictions.

But all of these threads are focused on Legacy Storage and expectations thereof.

Really, what the disappointed people are asking for, is to change BoP to BoL.

Personally, BoP has never bothered me. I viewed it as a game rule, and I'm willing to abide by the rule. Yet (it seems) many people are clamoring to remove this restriction.

Why? What are the arguments for removing BoP from the game? What are the pros and cons of such a change?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested that items that are BoP should be changed to BoL and also that BoE items instead of binding to that specific Char be bound to the legacy as well.

Two people seemed to like the idea but I'm sure there will be someone who will dissect it and tell me why it won't work

I suggested that items that are BoP should be changed to BoL and also that BoE items instead of binding to that specific Char be bound to the legacy as well.

Two people seemed to like the idea but I'm sure there will be someone who will dissect it and tell me why it won't work

I think it should be removed and I think that this would be the perfect replacement.

I assumed BoP was meant to prevent me from selling items to players who hadn't earned them...not to prevent me from using something I earned.

I think it should be removed and I think that this would be the perfect replacement.

I assumed BoP was meant to prevent me from selling items to players who hadn't earned them...not to prevent me from using something I earned.

It's to make it necessary to play all your characters, not just level one and have them outfit the others. Legacy gear has eased that, but the removal of bind on pick up would take that out of the equation altogether

It's to make it necessary to play all your characters, not just level one and have them outfit the others. Legacy gear has eased that, but the removal of bind on pick up would take that out of the equation altogether

If I'm not going to play all my alts, then why would I care about gearing them?

The value in this is in skipping some of the grind, sending 162 mods to a newer alt that is still in 156 gear, once I upgrade to 168 or 180.

Now, I can already do this, using legacy armor, but it is a time sink, it takes a bunch of extra pointless work, in what is supposed to be a game.

That doesn't make sense to me. I still have to play my atls to get them to 55 where I get the gear they wear shouldn't make any difference.

This... I totally get the limits on selling the gear to people who have never earned them (granted, this should be possible in real life, but I get the limit in a game without a real economy, such as having to eat).

But all my alts are on my LEGACY, so everything should be bound to LEGACY, not to a specific alt.

I earned them, let me use them.

Overall, I have no problem with the current system, but I would not be opposed to this change. That being said, there are three downsides I could see:

1) People would roll "Need" on everything (I know some people claim this is already happening, but I personally almost never see it, I can count on one hand the number of "shady" rolls I've seen in PUGs)

2) It would all but remove one of the biggest credit-sinks in the game (maybe they could jack up repair bills to compensate?)

3) It would probably mean Unlock purchases through Collections menu will take a noticeable hit (not directly a problem for me as a player, but I have no idea how significant a revenue source those unlocks are for the game)

What is the point of having all of our characters "related" if they cannot even share items? Replacing BoP with BoL makes a lot of sense. We still wouldn't be able to sell those items, but one character give another hand-me-downs. I don't think this would cause people to stop earning new stuffs with each character, as it would be a hassle to keep removing/equipping full sets of armor all the time. However, the option should be there. If my Merc finds a spiffy lightsaber (utterly useless to her) and wants to share that with my Jugg, that should be an option.

There's a reason things aren't bind on legacy. Much of gameplay is gathering gear for a character. If you don't have to gear them. it removes the reward from the gameplay for that character. and narrows the need for playing content to a simple level grind.

This is a game, meant to be fun.

You play it your way, let me play it mine. I pay my $156 a year, if I want to avoid some of the grind for the 22nd time, who are you to say I should have to do it?

If you want to grind, don't mail gear between alts. If you don't, then mail away.

As it stands, I already can do it, but it is pointless work that takes away from the fun time.

Overall, I have no problem with the current system, but I would not be opposed to this change. That being said, there are three downsides I could see:

1) People would roll "Need" on everything (I know some people claim this is already happening, but I personally almost never see it, I can count on one hand the number of "shady" rolls I've seen in PUGs)

2) It would all but remove one of the biggest credit-sinks in the game (maybe they could jack up repair bills to compensate?)

3) It would probably mean Unlock purchases through Collections menu will take a noticeable hit (not directly a problem for me as a player, but I have no idea how significant a revenue source those unlocks are for the game)

Then you've gotten damn lucky I can't go into a Heroic, FP, or OP without one person trying to need roll on everything. :(

When people ask for things to be made cheaper/easier, they really need to think about why it was done that way in the first place and address that. Game balance is a house of cards. You pull something major out of the stack and there will be repercussions.

Yes, that is true, but Legacy didn't exist at launch. A lot of things we have today didn't exist, so much has changed and it is reasonable to revist things from time to time.

In this case, it is a change long overdue, IMHO, it should have been here long ago due to the Legacy system.

Ok, folks that want this.... What would you do to replace the credit sink, make legacy gear (and the quests for acquiring it) meaningful, and to reward gameplay for the alts with a sugar daddy main?

It's only a credit sink for the 50+ Purple mods and what not. and when people can make 100mil+ from gtn sales of CM items it isn't that much of a sink in the long run.

Ok, folks that want this.... What would you do to replace the credit sink, make legacy gear (and the quests for acquiring it) meaningful, and to reward gameplay for the alts with a sugar daddy main?

What? Sorry, but I honestly do not understand your question.

It's only a credit sink for the 50+ Purple mods and what not. and when people can make 100mil+ from gtn sales of CM items it isn't that much of a sink in the long run.

It's more than that, because you end up pulling them repeatedly to send to other characters as you level. And what about the other issues? How would you solve those? What I'm saying is these things have function. Not just this, but many of these things people want changed to make they're lives easier. It's unrealistic not to take those into account.

Reputation building is a major part of the game and legacy gear is the only reason for it. How would you deal with making that unnecessary. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying think about the side effects of what you ask for.

This...

I keep hearing "credit sink".

It really isn't much of one... The cost is minor, the hassle factor is not...

It costs about 60,000 credits to rip out the armor, mod, and enhancement from one alt, move it to legacy armor, rip it out again, and install it on my alt.

And I frankly don't notice amounts that small. It isn't an effective credit sink for those with a dozen or more lvl 55 alts that get played.

But if people really think such a sink is required, how about an "unlock" cost, bound items can be unlocked to BoL for a 10,000 credit fee. Something like that...

Most bound items I don't care about, the few that I do are worth far more than that anyway. Moving a 3 million credit 34 barrel? Yea, the rip costs mean nothing, it really isn't a good sink for anything but my time.