Strength vs Endurance for Jugg?

Which one should be your main stat if you plan to go full tank? I have no clue how to build a tank in this game. I'm also only level 20 right now. I'll take any advice. Be as specific as possible.

It depends on how big the spikes are going to be. However, while levelling, just going for Strength will probably make the runs smoother, as you'll kill stuff quicker, and the defense/shield/absorb from your gear will make you tough enough while malavai keeps you topped up. That and you have a couple of defensive mechanics that stack off your strength + power.

As for end game?

PvP - Apparently top performance nowdays comes from going full DPS gear due to the defensive mechanics that scale with strength/power.

PvE - 4-piece armoring from set bonus, maximize shield/defense/absorb in correctly itemized fashion, enough endurance to safely avoid dying to spike damage, and the rest of you're armorings + crystals in the Might or Hawkeye variety

It depends on how big the spikes are going to be. However, while levelling, just going for Strength will probably make the runs smoother, as you'll kill stuff quicker, and the defense/shield/absorb from your gear will make you tough enough while malavai keeps you topped up. That and you have a couple of defensive mechanics that stack off your strength + power.

As for end game?

PvP - Apparently top performance nowdays comes from going full DPS gear due to the defensive mechanics that scale with strength/power.

PvE - 4-piece armoring from set bonus, maximize shield/defense/absorb in correctly itemized fashion, enough endurance to safely avoid dying to spike damage, and the rest of you're armorings + crystals in the Might or Hawkeye variety

So you recommend going strength first endurance second? It's pretty obvious to just use might stuff then. What about for enhancements? This game just has so much stuff in it.

So you recommend going strength first endurance second? It's pretty obvious to just use might stuff then. What about for enhancements? This game just has so much stuff in it.

No, not strength for PvE, only for PvP.

For PvE it's endurance over strength, even defensive stats over strength (non -A, -B mods), while you could get away with endurance heavy enhancements, it's much better to go with defensive stat heavy enhancements. But you won't get anywhere near there until mid 40s.

Going endurance heavy is your best option early on (really only option at first) for flashpoints that aren't tacticals. Leveling on planets is really easy and you could go strength, but then doing flashpoints might be a tad harder unless you got a really good healer. Early fights don't rely too much on mitigation, high hp is better to give your healer time to pick you back up.

Once you start seeing mods with more than single digits on a defensive stat, you'll want to start getting those, same with enhancements that have 2 different defensive stats. You'll basically want to get a 2:1:1 defense:shield:absorb ratio. There's more optimal ratios but for leveling up and learning how to tank while doing it that's good enough. Once you start getting close to 50ish, look up KeyboardNinja's thread for exact defensive stat totals, by then you'll understand it, and it won't help you until then anyways.

My girlfriend and myself basically 2-manned all the flashpoints up to D7, except Colicoid as a tank and healer with 2 dps companions while leveling up. Yes we were a few levels over the content, but the quests were still green so not horribly overleveled.

And at 55, I go with mitigation stats, endurance, then strength. Because you can easily hold aggro against any DPS with guard, taunt fluffing, and a good tight rotation. Hard mode flashpoints become a cake walk with high mitigation, so much so healers will start dpsing because they just don't need to heal as often.

My Jugg and Guardian never tank, even in PVP. That said, I see the reason in going into Strength in PVP has is will boost Enraged Defense's healing and crit chance.

When I tank I always you this stat priority, trying to get into the percents as much as possible:

Shield Chance = 41%/Absorb =41% > Defense Chance 20% > Endurance > Strength > Power.

Trying to balance out Shield chance and Adsorb chance at around or close to 41% as possible at 55, then try to get Defense chance as close to 20% without screwing Shield/Adsorb over, then Endurance. Absorb augment have Power on them, Strength comes from your hilt, armorings, and Mods. I use Hawkeye crystal to boost damage a bit.

Defstats > Endurance ( 38k) > Strength > Endurance (40k+)

Defstats : They reduce incoming damage. As most bossattacks wont one hit you defstats are more important than Maxhp. Defstats are :

Armor

Defense

Shield chance

Absorb

These stats have to be adjusted per bossfight. Some bosses need less defense but more absorb. For a full view of which bosses need which defstats look into the Tanking forum " Ideal Tankstats Distribution"

Endurance (38k) : There are some bosses who do nasty hits. Achieve 38k to give your healers a little bolster. This is only important in hardmode/Nm raids. Some bosses might kill you in 2 seconds if your below that threshold.

Strength : Basically your dps as a tank are unimportant. Strength influence your dps only a little bit. But strength is more important than endurance because strength (and attackpower) influence the amount of damage which is shielded by force scream and your aoe taunt. Furthermore it influences the healing of your enraged defense. Therefore strength offers also some mitgation. In addition to that it will increase your tps a little.

Endurance (40k+) : Everything exceeding the 40k is not really needed, put all stats in strength before going for Endurance. I personally have dd armoring on bracers, belt, shoes offhand and mainhand. Depending on your ilvl you will eventually have more than 40k especially if your full 186 one day

Relics : Fortunate redoubt + reactive warding

(i know that shield ampflification is better for nefra, but honestly who cares about her in Hm/Nm. Its a freeloot boss)

For pvp:

Hp > strength > Defstats

Because pvp partially ignores defsstats especially defense is near worthless. Many attack types of other classes are elemental/internal dmg. This attacktype can neither be defended nor shielded. Also critical hits can not be shielded. Then ranged energy dmg can not be defended but shielded. So basically

Hp> Strength > shieldchance + Absorb > Defense

Why hp is more important here? Because Force scream only offers a small mitgation in pvp gear. pvp armoring have less strength and you should go for the tanking setbonus. So you cant really build in strength. Hp will increase your ttl ( time to live/last) and will therefore give your healer more time to heal you. Mitgation is less important. Augment your gear with hp and strength.

Rellics: I personally go with Shield ampflification+ reactive warding

Edited by Methoxa

• 2 weeks later...

Strength over Endurance, you will gain all the HP you ever need for tanking PvE naturally without a need to stack it.

In addition because Strength increases Bonus Healing it provides a measurable increase to survivability as both Sonic Barrier and Enraged Defence scale off Bonus Healing. Sonic Barrier accounts for a significant portion of your mitigation.

Basically get (1) DPS armorings for belt / bracers / non set piece, (2) might hilts and (3) power crystals. As mentioned above, strength and power buffs some of your defensive CDs.

They key is to have enough HP to not getting one-shotted and then go strength.